• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 255 48.6%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 270 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

uBOk5z4.jpg

MrS

Banned
MGS V because the gameplay is just lightyears ahead of the gameplay in RDR2. In MGSV you can approach missions any way you want; in RDR2 you get mission fail for veering slightly outside of the mission area. World economy in RDR2 was badly broken and the game wasn't close to well-balanced.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
mgsv even if it's 2nd chapter is unfinished because it's actually gripping to PLAY and to watch.
RDR2 is just gripping to watch. Graphics are incredible, Arthur is great but gameplay is terrible and the game is like 50 hours...

MiguelItUp

How could you vote against a game that was actually complete? I loved both, but based on that merit alone the choice was easy for me personally.

Ellery

Pretty close for me. I love both and I think that MGS V is a complete game. Whether or not people see it that way doesn't matter in the eyes of how Kojima wanted it to be.

MGS V was never meant to be a product that gave you all the answers with a perfectly wrapped up story. People still feeling the phantom pain huh.

It is a complete game, but it is not the game that people wanted it to be and that is the point of the game. It would have been impossible to release a final MGS game that would satisfy everyone.

Quite funny that people think it was completely botched when you had to weirdly redo missions you already did and they believe that Kojima (or other people at Konami) didn't realize it, because they are "just so god damn bad. they are a hack!" when the game is throwing the phrase "Proxy war without end" right at you.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Easily RDR2 for me. MGSV was the worst in the series in my opinion, and my personal biggest disappointment this gen. It's the best the series has ever felt to play, but completely drops the ball in terms of story, which is the absolute main reason I loved the Metal Gear series to begin with.

I don’t get the complaints about MGS story. It’s always been garbage as far as I’m concerned.

MGS takes this one. RDR2 might just be the worst-playing AAA game since...I don’t know, GTA V?

Terenty

Both great games, both feel truly next-gen. Rdr 2 for its unparalleled scope and realisation of a setting and Mgs 5 for its epic open ended mission structure. Voted for mgs.

Red Dead 2 is my vote. I really liked Metal Gear V, but not nearly as much as Red Dead 2. I put over 400 hours into RDR2. I got lost in that world.

bitbydeath

They both suck but I’ll vote for MGSV because it sucked less. How either made it this far is the real surprise.

GreyHorace

Never played MGS5 so I can't comment on it, so I voted Red Dead 2.

I played RDR2 and greatly enjoyed it's fantastic story and characters. But I can definitely see the flaws in it's gameplay systems and Rockstar's open world design. Playing Ghost of Tsushima made it more obvious that Rockstar really needs to up it's game.

RDR2 shits all over MGSV in just about every aspect except controls and gameplay mechanics imo, but RDR ain't so bad once you get used to it. It's a tough one because gameplay is so important, but man MGSV is just so meh otherwise that I have to go with RDR2. Once you get into the thick of the game, it's a far more rewarding experience.

Spaceman292

Banned
No one who has played both will say RDR 2.

MGS V in terms of shooting/combat mechanics, is the best 3rd person shooter ever.
RDR 2, like most western games, hide behind high production values and grandeur. The gameplay itself is super meh.
I played both and I'm goibg for RDR2. The story was just too good.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I absolutely love mgs but the fact MGSV is winning is just stupid. MGSV is the worst in the series. Its terrible unfinished extremely repetitive and overall has the worst bosses in mgs history.

You land in a helicopter over and over only for the game to tell you who'll you meet in the mission basically spoiling it for you could you imagine this happening free fucking fight sniper wolf in mgs1.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I want to say RDR2, but I can't get invested at all. I've tried playing it so many times and it never grips me. It's too much of a slow start. I must have restarted it 3 times and never gotten past Valentine. It looks like it would be so amazing, but everything is too time consuming.

I loved MGS5. Such a great stealth sandbox. Gameplay is king with this one. It gets my vote for holding my attention until I beat it.

Top Bottom