• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

gfxtwin

Comparible in the sense that the Witcher lll is also an open world, big budget tittle capable of producing some nice vistas. The side-by-side comparisons though here and with other recently released or upcoming open world games, they are becoming less and less flattering for the Witcher.

To be fair, even though it will likely look less impressive by the end of this gen, I still feel like TW3 will hold as up well as any open world game years later because of the decision the art team made to style the visuals up a bit/intentionally abstract the graphics instead of aiming for a more hyperreal look, if that makes sense.

The graphics are nothing impressive. Any games can have these cgi cut scenes. The rest of the second trailer looks like a late PS3 and early PS4 graphics.

I really hope your kidding, am i right??? For an open world game, that will most likely take a good 35-40 hours to beat, the graphics are absolutely incredible!!!

The ONLY way to explain your comment, is... your comparing this to more linear style types of games, as in Gears of War, God Of War, ect, which take just hours to beat (8-10) compared to what goes into these open world games (30-45 hours to beat)!

Not sure we watched the same trailer?

Not sure if I care if it's done for single player or an online mode, but I really hope they do something a la GTA 5 Online's businesses, properties, safehouses, etc. not because I like shamelessly deliberate RMT whaling, but I'd love a reason to free roam, grind, hunt, do randomly generated missions, etc for months and months -- not just weeks as is the standard SP norm. i'd much prefer it in SP but i'll accept either method if it gives me a fur trapping business or gold mine to supply/make deliveries from while I'm patrolling desert plains and snowy mountain forests to collect on randomly generated bounties or something... just give me a reason to roam those gorgeous mountains for much of next year hhhh
It was a good game, had a lot of improvements over IV but also some weird downgrades I would say, compared to IV but also MP3 and RDR. I didn't like how fast Franklin left the hood and I would have loved some repo missions for him, all that went by way too fast.

And it's hard to explain but I didn't really feel the flow of the story mode. I did enjoy it but not as much as I enjoyed RDR to be honest. I really started to miss the things IV, RDR and MP3 did have, the little things that amount to a lot really.
One interesting thing about that is I think it varies drastically for people... for me, Franklin spent a huge portion of the game time on Forum Drive because I did so much exploring at the start. I tried to take my time and do free roam stuff at the start before the story picked up much urgency -- felt it made more sense to go explore and mess around while in the middle of casual repo jobs and before M's story really picked up.

Anecdote aside, reason I say it seems to vary drastically for people (and not just my unique anecdote) is because based on Trophy data, something like only 30 or 35% of GTA5 players have even reached Trevor. Basically 2/3rds of GTA5 owners never even played Trevor before and still have Franklin living in his mom's house. So I think for a lot of folks, even though you can reach that first 'get rich' point pretty fast if you focus on the story, quite a lot of people never actually do that, and just free roam a lot.

The game has such a huge amount of story-sensitive content, phone calls, character switch scenes, etc, that it's almost a detriment to 'getting the most out of the game' if you don't free roam a fair bit in between each missions.

Can't believe people are knocking the graphics. This trailer looks absolutely phenomenal. Hell, I'm almost expecting a major downgrade because it's almost too hard to believe the game could look this pretty.

Not sure if I care if it's done for single player or an online mode, but I really hope they do something a la GTA 5 Online's businesses, properties, safehouses, etc. not because I like shamelessly deliberate RMT whaling, but I'd love a reason to free roam, grind, hunt, do randomly generated missions, etc for months and months

My question to you is... Have you even played, let alone beat RDR??? If you have, i see no reason why you would even be asking these questions?! Free Roam, Grind, Hunt, do randomly generated missions, for MONTHS AND MONTHS!!! LMAO I have a feeling you never played it?

RDR ain't no GTA, and this is why it's so loved and has such an amazing following/fan base. VERY ORIGINAL and different from the rest.

BTW, if i took your post wrong, sorry, it's just how you explained it.

Can't believe people are knocking the graphics. This trailer looks absolutely phenomenal. Hell, I'm almost expecting a major downgrade because it's almost too hard to believe the game could look this pretty.

Other then the smeared N64 Rocks (lol)... AGREE!!! The game looks incredible!!!

Also, if the rumors are true that this trailer is of the PS4 version, aswel as the trailer being in only 1080p, just imagine what the Pro and especially the ONE X version will look like on your 4k HDR screen?!!!

Spring can't come soon enough MY BROTHERS (HOGAN VOICE!!! LOL)! #READY4IT :D

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The graphics are nothing impressive. Any games can have these cgi cut scenes. The rest of the second trailer looks like a late PS3 and early PS4 graphics.

You don't even know what CGI means, just stop.

Revan

I hope you're right, because it would be great to see that game up and running on current gen hardware. A remaster with improved resolution and framerate would be more than enough reason to revisit it again.

Not to mention the fact that R* would need to find a warehouse for the dumptrucks of money it would generate. Having the best game last gen out on modern day consoles (and PC) coupled with the sequel? I can’t even fathom how much revenue that would be.

I’d love to see the game just run at 60fps - the visual are still good imo (that’s my opinion only) - visual bump would be a bonus.

I really hope this happens.

Formosa

I really hope your kidding, am i right??? For an open world game, that will most likely take a good 35-40 hours to beat, the graphics are absolutely incredible!!!

The ONLY way to explain your comment, is... your comparing this to more linear style types of games, as in Gears of War, God Of War, ect, which take just hours to beat (8-10) compared to what goes into these open world games (30-45 hours to beat)!

Not sure we watched the same trailer?

Show me a 3rd party open world game that looks better than this, please.

Edit: Wait, what CGI??

Were you even looking in the direction of the video?

You don't even know what CGI means, just stop.

Okay I meant the trailers. Especially the second trailer.

FF15, Assassins Creed Origin, Watchdog2. Can't believe people are actually amazed by the RD2 graphics.

Okay I meant the trailers. Especially the second trailer.

FF15, Assassins Creed Origin, Watchdog2. Can't believe people are actually amazed by the RD2 graphics.

None of these games look as good as RDR2. Just take a look at the horses in AC origins. RDR1 had better looking horses.

Also none of them are late PS3/early PS4 games lol. You're trying too hard man.

I can't think of a Rockstar game in the last 15 years that has used CGI to render cut scenes and trailers. Since as far back as GTAIII, they've used in engine recordings for their trailers and cut scenes.

As for looking like late PS3 graphics..........

It's like people can't understand the differences between games that give you a fixed perspective and narrow corridor to walk through, and an open world where you can turn every corner and look at everything from every angle. Like comparing a skybox in Uncharted to an actual place you can go to in GTA or Red Dead.

*edit*

Nevermind, you just have no idea what you're talking about. Not only that but the games you mentioned, Watch Dogs 2, Assassins Creed Origins ... aren't PS3 or 'early Ps4' games. Watch Dogs 2 came out 11 months ago. AC:Origins isn't even out yet. And Final Fantasy XV looks like this...

Vh0OVpJ.png

LY4QMyb.png

_Rob_

I can't think of a Rockstar game in the last 15 years that has used CGI to render cut scenes and trailers. Since as far back as GTAIII, they've used in engine recordings for their trailers and cut scenes.

It's like people can't understand the differences between games that give you a fixed perspective and narrow corridor to walk through, and an open world where you can turn every corner and look at everything from every angle. Like comparing a skybox in Uncharted to an actual place you can go to in GTA or Red Dead.

I appreciated and agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, but the term CGI literally stands for 'Computer Generated Images'. Technically speaking all games use CGI for everything, regardless of how they handle cutscenes. The term 'pre-rendered' would be more apt.

I appreciated and agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, but the term CGI literally stands for 'Computer Generated Images'. Technically speaking all games use CGI for everything, regardless of how they handle cutscenes. The term 'pre-rendered' would be more apt.

It's definitely a misnomer, but a very common misnomer when talking about videogames, and one the other guy used. 'CGI' was the term used to describe prerendered cut scenes for decades just because there was a lack of a better term. 'Prerendered cut scenes' has only become a common term more recently. CGI was the old misnomer that was borrowed from the film industry because magazines in the 90s didn't have a better term to describe it, so it became really common.

And the way that poster referred to 'CGI' he definitely meant it as a replacement for a pre-rendered cut scene. But, in either event, Rockstar generally uses in-engine recordings for their trailers, and while there have been downgrades in the past (GTA V debut trailer vs. what was released on PS3/360 for one), the gameplay in their games typically looks very, very close to what they show in cinematic trailers, compared to a developer/publisher like Ubisoft which tends to use pre-rendered cinema-like trailers to give you a feel for the story or setting but without intending that to represent gameplay.

_Rob_

It's definitely a misnomer, but a very common misnomer when talking about videogames, and one the other guy used. 'CGI' was the term used to describe prerendered cut scenes for decades just because there was a lack of a better term. 'Prerendered cut scenes' has only become a common term more recently. CGI was the old misnomer that was borrowed from the film industry because magazines in the 90s didn't have a better term to describe it, so it became really common.

And the way that poster referred to 'CGI' he definitely meant it as a replacement for a pre-rendered cut scene. But, in either event, Rockstar generally uses in-engine recordings for their trailers, and while there have been downgrades in the past (GTA V debut trailer vs. what was released on PS3/360 for one), the gameplay in their games typically looks very, very close to what they show in cinematic trailers, compared to a developer/publisher like Ubisoft which tends to use pre-rendered cinema-like trailers to give you a feel for the story or setting but without intending that to represent gameplay.

That's fair, but I do feel continuing to misuse the term only muddies the issue, especially as the point of your post was to correct that poster. I just fear you may undermine your point that way.

You are definitely right about R*'s use of in-engine stuff, I'm actually struggling to think of a game they've worked on that actually used pre-rendered cutscenes. I think the closest was cutting in real footage with in-engine stuff for Smuggler's Run.

Fukuzatsu

*edit*

Nevermind, you just have no idea what you're talking about. Not only that but the games you mentioned, Watch Dogs 2, Assassins Creed Origins ... aren't PS3 or 'early Ps4' games. Watch Dogs 2 came out 11 months ago. AC:Origins isn't even out yet. And Final Fantasy XV looks like this...

Don't know if that's the Xbox One version or what (seems to have RT prompts rather than R2), but at least the PS4 version's IQ was nowhere near that bad:

Nothing mindblowing perhaps but let's be honest.

Van Bur3n

A lot of questions and speculation throughout this thread that can be answered by simply playing the first game. And actually paying attention.

Duderino

To be fair, even though it will likely look less impressive by the end of this gen, I still feel like TW3 will hold as up well as any open world game years later because of the decision the art team made to style the visuals up a bit/intentionally abstract the graphics instead of aiming for a more hyperreal look, if that makes sense.

I’m following your logic, but I can’t say I agree that, over time, it’ll hold up as well. Why? Because by and large the best looking open world games this gen have not been aiming for hyper-realism either. Many of the technical advancements have gone towards stylistic purposes.

Formosa

None of these games look as good as RDR2. Just take a look at the horses in AC origins. RDR1 had better looking horses.

Also none of them are late PS3/early PS4 games lol. You're trying too hard man.

*edit*

Are you serious? lol stop lying to yourself. They ALL look better than RD2 (trailer). And I know the games I've mentioned are all PS4 games, my point is that RD2's trailer looks like late PS3/early PS4's graphics.

I liked RD1 a lot and also a huge fan of the game, and will def play RD2 because it will be a great I am (I am sure), but I don't just sit here and lie to myself that the game's got good graphics (from the trailer), we all know that a trailer will look better than the actual gameplay graphics. I really hope I am wrong.

to Albatross: All the games I mentioned are open world where you can also look around and turn in every corner. Looks like you are the one that haven't played any of those games and trying to debate about the upcoming RD2's soso graphics with some older amazing looking games. And not to mention Horizon Zero Dawn...

Are you serious? lol stop lying to yourself. They ALL look better than RD2 (trailer). And I know the games I've mentioned are all PS4 games, my point is that RD2's trailer looks like late PS3/early PS4's graphics.

I liked RD1 a lot and also a huge fan of the game, and will def play RD2 because it will be a great I am (I am sure), but I don't just sit here and lie to myself that the game's got good graphics (from the trailer), we all know that a trailer will look better than the actual gameplay graphics. I really hope I am wrong.

to Albatross: All the games I mentioned are open world where you can also look around and turn in every corner. Looks like you are the one that haven't played any of those games and trying to debate about the upcoming RD2's soso graphics with some older amazing looking games. And not to mention Horizon Zero Dawn...

Late PS3 / early PS4 makes GTAV the perfect example. GTAV is a late PS3 game that was enhanced for PC and then ported to PS4.

Are you saying that Red Dead Redemption looks exactly like GTAV? That no graphical enhancements have been made? AT ALL? The animation/lighting/texture-work/particles don't look significantly better to you?

Well, I quoted you when you said RDR2 trailer looks like a "Ps3 or early Ps4" graphics, and then later you mentioned Assassins Creed Origins and Watch Dogs 2, neither of which were PS3 or early PS4 games. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt when you said "Late PS3 graphics," figuring maybe you were referring to Uncharted 3 or some other graphically impressive late-gen PS3 game that is not open world so it can achieve better graphics by controlling what the user can see and interact with.

It's clear you're just trolling for attention.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2, and AC Origins might end up looking better than RDR2 in the end, but none of them were "late PS3 or early PS4" games which is why anybody quoted you in the first place. If you originally said, "The graphics are nothing impressive, this looks about the same as Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2, and AC origins," then your post wouldn't have stood out.

Formosa

Late PS3 / early PS4 makes GTAV the perfect example. GTAV is a late PS3 game that was enhanced for PC and then ported to PS4.

Are you saying that Red Dead Redemption looks exactly like GTAV? That no graphical enhancements have been made? AT ALL? The animation/lighting/texture-work/particles don't look significantly better to you?

You are right that it's a late PS3 game. That's why I said late PS3/Early PS4. Of course there is are improvements over GTAV, but I still think FF15/Horizon Zero/ROTR looks better than RD2.

Formosa

Well, I quoted you when you said RDR2 trailer looks like a "Ps3 or early Ps4" graphics, and then later you mentioned Assassins Creed Origins and Watch Dogs 2, neither of which were PS3 or early PS4 games. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt when you said "Late PS3 graphics," figuring maybe you were referring to Uncharted 3 or some other graphically impressive late-gen PS3 game that is not open world so it can achieve better graphics by controlling what the user can see and interact with.

It's clear you're just trolling for attention.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2, and AC Origins might end up looking better than RDR2 in the end, but none of them were "late PS3 or early PS4" games which is why anybody quoted you in the first place. If you originally said, "The graphics are nothing impressive, this looks about the same as Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2, and AC origins," then your post wouldn't have stood out.

I am not trolling, I said Horizon Zero Dawn, Watch Dogs 2, and AC origins, FF15 looks better than RD2 and it made RD2 look like a late PS3/early PS4 game. How is that not true? It's more of a fact. Look the game didn't even reveal it's gameplay yet so let's not even talk to early, but in reality, most gameplay will not look better than a trailer.

You are right that it's a late PS3 game. That's why I said late PS3/Early PS4. Of course there is are improvements over GTAV, but I still think FF15/Horizon Zero/ROTR looks better than RD2.

So it looks better than GTAV, but it still looks like a late PS3 game? That doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever.

As to you thinking it looks worse than FF15/HZD/ROTR, well... There's no accounting for taste, so I don't think anyone will ever convince you otherwise. Besides, I don't even think you want to be convinced otherwise to begin with. That being said though, that doesn't change the fact that it's a patently ridiculous claim.

It's obviously still too early to tell what the game will actually look like once it release. But based solely on the trailers... I'm not gonna say it looks far beyond anything that's out there, or that's coming out soon, but god damn, it's at least most anything's equal.

Fluloco

Uh, have you ever played Bully? You're ultimately trying to bring peace to the school.

Bully was actually the opposite (from what I remember), where you play against the bullies and people hurting weaker characters and try to take over the cliques to stop them from fighting.

No no, you start as a bully that gets superseded by way worse bullies, you're the best of the worst. I mean, why do you think that the main character is at Bullsworth? He's been kicked out of the past schools he's been into

WizdogC

Neo Member
Why is it that Rockstar is so much more secretive than the average developer? I've never seen any Dev Diaries or behind the scenes featurettes or any insight into their development process.

Even their studio heads. Like for Naughty Dog Neil and Bruce (formerly) were very much front and center and forthcoming. Without Wikipedia I'd have no idea about anyone who's in Rockstar North or San Diego.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope they use this as the music for RDRO's trailer
Why is it that Rockstar is so much more secretive than the average developer? I've never seen any Dev Diaries or behind the scenes featurettes or any insight into their development process.

Even their studio heads. Like for Naughty Dog Neil and Bruce (formerly) were very much front and center and forthcoming. Without Wikipedia I'd have no idea about anyone who's in Rockstar North or San Diego.

Well there's the whole 'eye of sauron' thing but thats not exactly unique to R*. It's more that the Housers are notoriously protective and so they don't want their game being seen previous to launch as it might look bad if it's unfinished.

spanks

Probably because they don't need to. Dev diaries and all are basically just forms of advertisement, and cost money to make, that Rockstar doesn't really need to spend in order to sell 80+ million copies. If anything, it could actually impact sales negatively.

daman824

Ff15 has glaring pop in and pretty bad lod transitions, horizon is a first party game and arguably the best looking game this generation, and ROTR is a linear third person shooter.

Both of your earlier examples are pretty bad too, rdr2 seems to have better character models than wd2 (which also has pretty glaring npc pop in).

I've seen you try to claim that mgsV is a better looking game, which is also hilarious.

beclause

Neo Member
I think this is going to be a stand alone story with some tangential connections to John Marston' story. That's how all R* games are. Every new GTA that's setup in the same universe focuses on a new protagonist.

People expecting this to lead directly to RDR 1 are overthinking it. RDR was a great story on its own. I don't think this game needs to set it up in any way. That would be too restrictive in terms of how far they can go with the new story.

Stiler

No no, you start as a bully that gets superseded by way worse bullies, you're the best of the worst. I mean, why do you think that the main character is at Bullsworth? He's been kicked out of the past schools he's been into

That's not how I remember it....I remember helping the geeks and other people who were getting picked on by other cliques and then in the end gaining control over them all and bringing peace to the school, unless I somehow missed something.

Yes he gets sent there as a "last resort" but it wasn't simply because he was bullying people or something.

Can I borrow your PS4? Because those games not only look worse on mine but they also release 3-4 years late into the generation.

You think the trailer looks bad and you also know the gameplay will look even worse.

What timeline do you come from? I'd love to go there.

Anyway! We come in peace. Welcome to our universe.
Here's how those games on our PS4 looks like compared to RDR2. Not even close to RDR2's graphics.

Bonus X1X version of the upcoming ACO. Oh wait, that's an early gen game to you.
Looks amazing but still not as good as RDR2 especially the horses.

Was watching a video on YouTube and the guy said that Rockstar so far is marketing RDR2 very similar to how GTA V was marketed. As in that a second trailer happened close to the end of that year, the game was then still planned for Spring 2013 and as we all know got delayed.

Dude says he hopes we will get some more updates on the game this year, because if not he fears for another delay. He isn't wrong about that. But I'm fully expecting another delay anyway. Especially with that development hell thing in mind. To be honest, the game is probably quite far along now and it really wouldn't hurt this company to just release a screenshot or two now and then.

But the way that guy is constantly wishing for updates and putting hopes in it, I'm not doing that anymore. That was me with GTA V back then and it's just not worth it. I remember how people on Gtaforums.com went nuts when they did finally release some shots but I'm just tired of that crap. I'll start to get hyped and all that when the release date is set in stone.

I think they'll make it to Spring. I know this isn't a guarantee, but all past Red Dead games released in May. It would be cool if they kept the tradition.

Tonky

Was watching a video on YouTube and the guy said that Rockstar so far is marketing RDR2 very similar to how GTA V was marketed. As in that a second trailer happened close to the end of that year, the game was then still planned for Spring 2013 and as we all know got delayed.

Dude says he hopes we will get some more updates on the game this year, because if not he fears for another delay. He isn't wrong about that. But I'm fully expecting another delay anyway. Especially with that development hell thing in mind. To be honest, the game is probably quite far along now and it really wouldn't hurt this company to just release a screenshot or two now and then.

But the way that guy is constantly wishing for updates and putting hopes in it, I'm not doing that anymore. That was me with GTA V back then and it's just not worth it. I remember how people on Gtaforums.com went nuts when they did finally release some shots but I'm just tired of that crap. I'll start to get hyped and all that when the release date is set in stone.
A delay is possible but GTAV's initial trailer didn't come with a release window. RDRII's initial trailer did. I honestly believe that they were confident in Fall 2017 but then ultimately decided to settle on Spring 2018. But that person on GTAForums is correct. If the game is releasing in Spring then the marketing needs to pick up soon.

A delay is possible but GTAV's initial trailer didn't come with a release window. RDRII's initial trailer did. I honestly believe that they were confident in Fall 2017 but then ultimately decided to settle on Spring 2018. But that person on GTAForums is correct. If the game is releasing in Spring then the marketing needs to pick up soon.

I hope so man, but if they stay silent again on the game until next year I'd say that's a clear sign that a delay is on the way. Of course it's fully possible that they start the marketing with GI in January or so but I doubt it.

We'll see and good thing is we'll have plenty to play anyway.

It's possible Rockstar have a big final push for GTA Online for the remainder of the year, considering it's still selling incredibly well, and they also have L.A. Noir coming out again this winter. I doubt we'll get a serious push for this game until the new year given that, and if that's the case, I suspect it is due to the aforementioned plans and not a delay.

Gorillaz

Yea mid Jan should be when we hear about the next trailer and that will most likely talk about the gameplay aspects of it all

Javier23

Banned
Just came into the thread, but are you guys seriously comparing games' graphics at this stage? It's a trailer. Of course the IQ is gonna be the cleanest ever. Wait til the game's out before you make these sort of comparisons.

Top Bottom