• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I have played the original on PS Now and it's just fine. Graphics aren't as good as they are on my 360 but the PS3 version was always inferior. I don't think graphics quality is affected too much and anyway you're playing a last gen game that runs at 640p so yeah.

Controls were OK for me. I've played games like F1 2015 and Catherine on PS Now with no issue and those games need fast input. I don't know how close I am to their servers but my internet is more than capable of keeping up with it.

If PS Now is your only option I'd say give it a shot. There is a free 7 day trial so use that to see what it's like for you.

No matter how many story vids I see, I ain't gonna get hyped until I see some gameplay vids. I have this fear that single player will not be up to snuff like RDR 1 and that it will suffer the same fate as gta v.

No matter how many story vids I see, I ain't gonna get hyped until I see some gameplay vids. I have this fear that single player will not be up to snuff like RDR 1 and that it will suffer the same fate as gta v.

Don't get me wrong, im hyped, but yes worried aswel. I'm worried that their focusing to much on multiplayer and that the single player campaign may suffer because of it, i mean, the MP mode seems like that's all that's talked about when a review with a R* dev surfices.

I just hope they realize what made this franchise so special in the first place, and thats the single player story mode. When it comes to the Red Dead series, i can care less about MP, if i want to play MP I'll hop on COD or Gears or something.

I have noticed the older i get, the more and more i find myself straying away from MP and prefering a great single player campaign anyday.

I don't think you need to worry man. For starters we're two trailers in and they are solely about the story. The Houser Brothers always love to tell a story and as long as they are there their games will have a worthy story mode. Now as for potential story mode DLC i would say just don't expect anything. Not after the shit they pulled with GTA V.

And it's weird because I remember the article about Franklin's voice actor teasing new story mode stuff and of course Rockstar's own words, a shame really. As for preferring SP over MP, can't disagree with you there. While I do look forward to Battlefront 2 and all, I always prefer a much more relaxed gaming session where it's not about being annoyed by campers or constantly getting killed by elite players and what not.

Rellik

Of course, the handy thing with this is R* can release a RDR Remaster afterwards.

They won't. It will have to be a remake and then you have to question where the Read Dead Revolver remake is.

I don't think you need to worry man. For starters we're two trailers in and they are solely about the story. The Houser Brothers always love to tell a story and as long as they are there their games will have a worthy story mode. Now as for potential story mode DLC i would say just don't expect anything. Not after the shit they pulled with GTA V.

And it's weird because I remember the article about Franklin's voice actor teasing new story mode stuff and of course Rockstar's own words, a shame really. As for preferring SP over MP, can't disagree with you there. While I do look forward to Battlefront 2 and all, I always prefer a much more relaxed gaming session where it's not about being annoyed by campers or constantly getting killed by elite players and what not.

You can blame the lack of sales on GTA IV DLC for that. Which is a shame because The Ballad of Gay Tony was one of the best pieces of DLC I have ever played.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What’s wrong with V? It was the only GTA that I enjoyed enough to finish. I loved it.

I hope it doesn't do the multi character BS, but I know it will :(

I prefer a focussed story on one guy instead of jumping all over the place. Just let Marston kill him towards the end then take over as him to wrap things up.

They won't. It will have to be a remake and then you have to question where the Read Dead Revolver remake is.

You can blame the lack of sales on GTA IV DLC for that. Which is a shame because The Ballad of Gay Tony was one of the best pieces of DLC I have ever played.

Well the thing is, before the game came out they told Game Informer about the bad sales for the IV DLC and that there were no plans at the moment for story stuff for V.

But when V had released they started to promise of course more GTAO stuff but also significant updates for the story mode. Basically we were going to get new missions for all three guys. But I guess when they saw how easily GTAO gave them money they just couldn't be bothered anymore.

I hope it doesn't do the multi character BS, but I know it will :(

I prefer a focussed story on one guy instead of jumping all over the place. Just let Marston kill him towards the end then take over as him to wrap things up.

Remains to be seen man. Pretty early on when they started the marketing for GTA V they revealed the multiple protagonists and so far we haven't had any real info, but this second trailer makes it seem it will be just one dude. But it could definitely be misleading too because it also talks about the Van Der Linde gang, and that native and lady are part of that.

At first I was fully in favor of just one protagonist but after thinking about the possibilities with more characters in a game and setting like this.... I'm good with either.

What’s wrong with V? It was the only GTA that I enjoyed enough to finish. I loved it.

It was a good game, had a lot of improvements over IV but also some weird downgrades I would say, compared to IV but also MP3 and RDR. I didn't like how fast Franklin left the hood and I would have loved some repo missions for him, all that went by way too fast.

And it's hard to explain but I didn't really feel the flow of the story mode. I did enjoy it but not as much as I enjoyed RDR to be honest. I really started to miss the things IV, RDR and MP3 did have, the little things that amount to a lot really.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
yeah V was great but i didn't like it as much as RDR and IV (even though IV's lack of mission checkpoints sticks out like a sore thumb now).

something about the story just felt messy and unfocused in ways that the other two didn't. it obviously plays better though.

BFIB

I have no doubt the game is going to be great, but like many others, I do worry about the VA playing Morgan. And the thing is, its not fair to the actor voicing him, its just that Marston's VA was perfect, and did what I still believe, is the best VA in a videogame to date.

Its a shame we didn't get a longer trailer, or even some longer gameplay, but this is Rockstar.

Early predictions
Marston is in this, and Dutch sends Morgan to kill Marston after Marston decides he's ready to leave that life behind, but Morgan refuses in the end, and Morgan is killed by Dutch.

Im very concered about MP. In RDR the online was so loose and free you could screw around without consequences, gamble, missions and all that jazz without having to grind for cash. It was fun through and through.

GTA5's online completely destroyed that feeling, became a huge chore to play, the grinding chipped away at me and i just couldnt do it anymore.

If RDR2's online turns out like GTA5, im skipping out on the game.

Tonky

Here's a whole take on the graphics dilemma.

If the game had released in late 2015, we would not have seen:

- Uncharted 4
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Far Cry: Primal

And other games with incredible visuals and art direction. Still, upcoming games such as Spider-Man, Anthem, The Last of Us Part II, and Death Stranding look to be even more impressive. RDRII fits somewhere in "one of the best-looking" upcoming games, but not necessarily "the best," or even in the top 5. Again, had this game come out 2 years ago it would have been a different story. Even the reveal trailer last year looked a lot like GTAV to me. They have obviously made some improvements to the engine, but it looks more like an upgrade to V than a total revamp like IV.

KageMaru

Here's a whole take on the graphics dilemma.

If the game had released in late 2015, we would not have seen:

- Uncharted 4
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Far Cry: Primal

And other games with incredible visuals and art direction. Still, upcoming games such as Spider-Man, Anthem, The Last of Us Part II, and Death Stranding look to be even more impressive. RDRII fits somewhere in "one of the best-looking" upcoming games, but not necessarily "the best," or even in the top 5. Again, had this game come out 2 years ago it would have been a different story. Even the reveal trailer last year looked a lot like GTAV to me. They have obviously made some improvements to the engine, but it looks more like an upgrade to V than a total revamp like IV.

There was a larger leap in available resources between GTASA and GTAIV. The GTAV port to current gen was a good way for them to get their feet wet with the current hardware. So it makes sense that RDR2 is an evolution, instead of a revolution of the tech.

Also the notion of there being an ultimate "best" looking game is odd to me since no matter how good a game looks, there are surely other games that do some things better. I think "one of the best looking" is more fitting in most respects. With a finite amount of resources, there's little chance a game will be the best in everything. At that point I have to question how the order of importance in a graphical aspect is decided. I think the game looks very good, but we won't know how good until we can see it outside of carefully selected scenes.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Personally I don’t think I am interested in this game. It looks very typical of a western, and while there hasn’t been much gameplay shown (I could be wrong), but RDR was kind of a slog to get through. I feel as if they could have gone a more original route, especially in regards to women and minorities.

gfxtwin

I feel like the hole game looks a bit underwhelming. I mean imagine it is coming out in Spring 2018...Will they improve on the graphics in comparison?

Right now I feel in the graphics department Witcher III and Horizon Zero Dawn are miles ahead.

Of course the game itself in terms of gameplay and story telling, score etc. will be top notch but I am a little bit underwhelmed by the graphics tbh.

Horizon Zero Dawn might have better-looking environments (characters are more hit or miss tho), but TW3 and RDR2 so far seem to be at least comparable to me, with RDR2 maybe looking a bit less stylized.

wlvHZq1.jpg

7nYsu1g.png

Horizon Zero Dawn might have better-looking environments (characters are more hit or miss tho), but TW3 and RDR2 so far seem to be at least comparable to me, with RDR2 maybe looking a bit less stylized.

Still, RDR2 looks much better than TW3.

I'd compare these 2 because of similar lighting conditions.

PS: This shot has light rays, clouds, fog and smoke together and all volumetric. That's freaking impressive! What other game does that?

Will definetly be pre-ordering this, I just dont know if ill do it in PC or PS4.

Also, do you guys think it will have a battle royal mode? Seeing it was introduced to GTAV, I think it would be great if it had one as well.

I really hope everyone stays as good for nothing assholes through out the game... tired of playing the hero/ I'm trynna redeem myself bullshit.

Also Main character should get killed by John at the end.

Stiler

I really hope everyone stays as good for nothing assholes through out the game... tired of playing the hero/ I'm trynna redeem myself bullshit.

Also Main character should get killed by John at the end.

Umm, what rockstar game were you ever the good guy?

They are almost always the bad guys, criminals, murderer's, etc. The only exception is Bully.

Also the VAST majority of people, from games to movies, books, etc identify and prefer playing as a "good" guy, that's why most stories have the protag be the hero/good guy, not the villain.

It'd be anice change of pace if Rockstar let us play the good guy for once, not a criminal/outlaw but a legit good guy, like a deputy or something just different then "criminal on a redemption" story, it's extremely cliched at this point and time for them, it's virtually every single game the same character setup.

Fluloco

Umm, what rockstar game were you ever the good guy?

They are almost always the bad guys, criminals, murderer's, etc. The only exception is Bully.

Also the VAST majority of people, from games to movies, books, etc identify and prefer playing as a "good" guy, that's why most stories have the protag be the hero/good guy, not the villain.

It'd be anice change of pace if Rockstar let us play the good guy for once, not a criminal/outlaw but a legit good guy, like a deputy or something just different then "criminal on a redemption" story, it's extremely cliched at this point and time for them, it's virtually every single game the same character setup.

The only game I can think of that you play as a good guy is Max Payne 3 (well, and RDR, but Marston came for a background of crime). And even Max Payne is an ex cop that just slaughters every man that crosses his way.

EDIT: also, you say Bully, but you play as a bully in that game lol

DapperSloth

Looks like many people here don't play Rockstar games. You should know their attention to detail is even more than Naughty Dog sometimes.

• Watch the second shot in the trailer and see how the grass interacts with the horse. Horizon doesn't have that(except stealth grass)
  • Don't forget you could shoot down any bird from the sky and loot them for feathers.
  • Look at how the muscles contract on horses and saliva drooling from their mouths while running.
  • Arthur pulls back the hammer before every shot and closes his eyes in reaction to the muzzle flash.
  • His jacket in not glued to him like other games. The jacket looks like an actual jacket separate from the character model.
  • Look at how the sparks from the braking train illuminate the steam. IIRC, Horizon doesn't have GI.

And I think the facial animations are the best since Uncharted.

I could go on and on, but oh well, many anti-Rockstar people here trying to downplay the game. I don't know if it's because they're PC owners only or Switch owners only. Or maybe they don't like Rockstar in the first place.

Here's what they could do last gen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmIgFtLa00Y

The criticism I have with the graphics is that it seems so underwhelming after you have watched the first trailer Rockstar released. That was a really good trailer that also showcased the different locations and what it looks like. It was vibrant, lush, beautiful, sharp and crisp as hell.

The second trailer, as I stated in another post, has botched horse faces (they sure don't look like horses... I don't even know what they are supposed to look like) and the game is just not... sharp. It's blurry. As if someone smeared some vaseline on the characters. And the textures on everything also looks smeared out/stretched. The scenery where you are on the plains do look very good though. Not quite on par with the first trailer, but very beautiful.

I don't compare it to other games, I compare it to the first trailer and how it looks visually. Usually it should be on par or better. I don't want Rockstar to do a Witcher 3 and show graphics that they later really can't reproduce on todays consoles. Like a vertical slice I think they are called.

I love Rockstar games, have almost every game and they are very good, a few are downright fantastic. When I saw the trailers for GTA IV, V and Red Dead Redemption I was blown away. The first trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 likewise.

Though the "blurry" look doesn't really trouble me so long as they can make it blend well with the light and art style, some of the static textures are infuriating. That static, flat horse saliva (@0:57 and analysis video @4:30) and water (@1:01) not being affected by people walking in it aren't the worst examples but it doesn't exactly make a good case for revolutionary levels of detail the analysis video seems convinced of.

gfxtwin

The criticism I have with the graphics is that it seems so underwhelming after you have watched the first trailer Rockstar released. That was a really good trailer that also showcased the different locations and what it looks like. It was vibrant, lush, beautiful, sharp and crisp as hell.

The second trailer, as I stated in another post, has botched horse faces (they sure don't look like horses... I don't even know what they are supposed to look like) and the game is just not... sharp. It's blurry. As if someone smeared some vaseline on the characters. And the textures on everything also looks smeared out/stretched. The scenery where you are on the plains do look very good though. Not quite on par with the first trailer, but very beautiful.

I don't compare it to other games, I compare it to the first trailer and how it looks visually. Usually it should be on par or better. I don't want Rockstar to do a Witcher 3 and show graphics that they later really can't reproduce on todays consoles. Like a vertical slice I think they are called.

I love Rockstar games, have almost every game and they are very good, a few are downright fantastic. When I saw the trailers for GTA IV, V and Red Dead Redemption I was blown away. The first trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 likewise.

It could just be the image quality of the trailer video file. Unless Rockstar are gonna use that upres technique that was used in Quantum Break or something...

Madness

801595.jpg

Yes but which version will have the superior grass? I am only here for the Grass Wars: Part Deux. Will Xbox One X and PC be identical, will PS4 Pro be 'basically the same'. Can't wait for the debates.

Endo Punk

"When she's done mourning I'll keep her in the black, on your behalf"

This guy is so deplorable I'm intrigued. Can't wait to play it.

Stiler

The only game I can think of that you play as a good guy is Max Payne 3 (well, and RDR, but Marston came for a background of crime). And even Max Payne is an ex cop that just slaughters every man that crosses his way.

EDIT: also, you say Bully, but you play as a bully in that game lol

Bully was actually the opposite (from what I remember), where you play against the bullies and people hurting weaker characters and try to take over the cliques to stop them from fighting.

kuYuri

In case it hasn't been mentioned, if John Marston is in this game at all, expect him to sound different. The voice actor who did his performance in RDR left the industry years ago. At best, they can get someone to sound similar.

Skyr

In case it hasn't been mentioned, if John Marston is in this game at all, expect him to sound different. The voice actor who did his performance in RDR left the industry years ago. At best, they can get someone to sound similar.

He is not actively pursuing a career in voice acting anymore, but you bet youre arse on it that if Rockstar approached him about RDR2 while waving their GTA dollars that he did it.
They will not risk to piss fans off with a replacement voice actor.

Revan

What if RDR II is the RDR remaster we wanted all along? 🤔
Honestly that's not a bad idea.

I’ve maintained for a while now that RDR2 will lead into RDR Remastered - while the game is available via BC on Xbox and PSNow - it makes zero sense (to me) that the prequel to Marston’s story is current gen and the actual sorry is a previous gen - if you’ve never played RDR and start with RDR2 - playing the first game could potentially be hard to do. I see RDR Remastered coming :

1) as either part of the main game or;
2) DLC later on or;
3) Seperate release a la “Episode of Liberty City”

I truly think a remaster of Redemption is coming.

gfxtwin

I’ve maintained for a while now that RDR2 will lead into RDR Remastered - while the game is available via BC on Xbox and PSNow - it makes zero sense (to me) that the prequel to Marston’s story is current gen and the actual sorry is a previous gen - if you’ve never played RDR and start with RDR2 - playing the first game could potentially be hard to do. I see RDR Remastered coming :

1) as either part of the main game or;
2) DLC later on or;
3) Seperate release a la “Episode of Liberty City”

I truly think a remaster of Redemption is coming.

Hope so. But isn't that game supposed to have been coded so much for last gen consoles that it's next to impossible to port to other platforms without remaking it from scratch?

Revan

Hope so. But isn't that game supposed to have been coded so much for last gen consoles that it's next to impossible to port to other platforms without remaking it from scratch?

I’ve seen this a million times and yet not a single shred of evidence to back it up. At one point during the dev cycle yah I totally believe it “I need the Benz!” - but as for the final state? If MS could re-work a part of the code to get BC to work it’s not out of the realm that the entire game could be done. The GM code for the game cannot be THAT bad if MS made the tweaks to get BC to work.

I don’t believe the code being a mess until it’s 100% from R*.

gfxtwin

I've seen this a million times and yet not a single shred of evidence to back it up. At one point during the dev cycle yah I totally believe it ”I need the Benz!" - but as for the final state? If MS could re-work a part of the code to get BC to work it's not out of the realm that the entire game could be done. The GM code for the game cannot be THAT bad if MS made the tweaks to get BC to work.

I don't believe the code being a mess until it's 100% from R*.

That's the thing though, didn't R* confirm they couldn't port RDR? I'll see if I can find the link...

Revan

That's the thing though, didn't R* confirm they couldn't port RDR? I'll see if I can find the link...

I’ve seen “comments” from “ex devs @ R*” say that it’s a mess - and at one point it was during the build process - but if the code was that much of a mess - how did they manage to make Undead Nightmare?

I don’t believe it’s in an inoperable state.

gfxtwin

I've seen ”comments" from ”ex devs @ R*" say that it's a mess - and at one point it was during the build process - but if the code was that much of a mess - how did they manage to make Undead Nightmare?

I don't believe it's in an inoperable state.

I hope you're right, because it would be great to see that game up and running on current gen hardware. A remaster with improved resolution and framerate would be more than enough reason to revisit it again.

Pachinko

I hope you're right, because it would be great to see that game up and running on current gen hardware. A remaster with improved resolution and framerate would be more than enough reason to revisit it again.

I skipped RDR years ago because I assumed it would receive a PC port and GTA4 kind of burned me out a bit so I'd love to see Rockstar attempt to do even a fairly barebones remaster of it instead. Part of me still thinks it might be some kind of consolation prize when RDR2 inevitably gets delayed 6 months ... "hey everyone sorry RDR2 needs to be the best it can be but , in the meantime here's RDR1 for just 29.99 complete with all DLC available digitally today on PS4/XB1 and PC , buy it today for exclusive beta access to RDR2 multiplayer" That's just the way things go these days.

Duderino

Comparible in the sense that the Witcher lll is also an open world, big budget tittle capable of producing some nice vistas. The side-by-side comparisons though here and with other recently released or upcoming open world games, they are becoming less and less flattering for the Witcher.

Top Bottom