• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Dynamic3

The Social Club implementation sounds cool, so you can complete a challenge and get rewarded with in-game content (in this case a cheat that makes your bullets set people on fire).

Did they have stuff like this in GTAIV?

owlbeak

Well I hope by "purchased in store" means if I preordered and selected to pick it up at the store on release date that I still get it, otherwise I'm going to be pissed. I emailed them and asked. >:[

commedieu said:
Its not that hard to pull off a desert landscape with foliage....and grass....

Dan Houser disagrees..

There were numerous other problems inherent in a western setting. How do you make things stand out in a world where the ground, the clothing and many people's skin tones are brown? Tricks with lighting and smoke. How do you make objects appear rugged and sun-warped? Forbid the use of straight lines. How do you make a horse move as realistically as a car in Grand Theft Auto? Record a real horse in a motion capture studio.

I can't find it ATM but there's another quote about the difficulty in creating an organic world rather than city blocks. Human made architecture is by far much easier to recreate than the natural world.

@Goldrusher:

Please add this quote to the OP, it's so god damn cool:

"Sometimes you can be the hero, sometimes you can be the bad guy, and sometimes while you're deciding what to do, a bear comes out of nowhere and eats someone."
-Dan Houser

Both from the LA Times Article

For people getting confused about the Special Edition:

If you pre-order from GameStop you automatically get the SE. The Limited Edition people are talking about is UK only.

owlbeak

sw33tclyde said:
For people getting confused about the Special Edition:

If you pre-order from GameStop you automatically get the SE. The Limited Edition people are talking about is UK only.
Right, but now there's confusion because Gamestop dropped all the info about the special edition preorder bonuses on their website. :/

Haunted

Timbuktu said:
Who here thinks they will feel a bit sad when the horse you start with and spend a lot of time on is killed, or when you have to give it up for a better horse?
I'll never part from my Level 1 donkey!

I better get my SE stuff from Gamestop dang it! That was one of the reasons I choose to buy it from there! The soundtrack being included was the main factor.

Haunted said:
I'll never part from my Level 1 donkey!

Ah, another dye-in-the-wool Donkey Bandito.

2j4adk8.jpg

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Hey guys I was on the fence and pre-ordered the 360 version but found a review for the PS3 version I thought I should share. Im thinking of getting it on the ps3 now damnit!

LINK this is from GAMEINFORMER.

Tried to post conclusions but translated text didn't come over :) hit the link.

Lothars

cjtiger300 said:
I better get my SE stuff from Gamestop dang it! That was one of the reasons I choose to buy it from there! The soundtrack being included was the main factor.

Agreed but I think it will be all preorders will have the SE stuff included.

Arcipello

TOTY :) just finished watching Once upon a time in the west for the first time, awesome movie and totally stokes me up for this game:D

was suprised to not see The good, The bad & the ugly in the film list however!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Dorfdad said:
Hey guys I was on the fence and pre-ordered the 360 version but found a review for the PS3 version I thought I should share. Im thinking of getting it on the ps3 now damnit!

discuss

Dorfdad said:

I've read the english GI review and they don't mention any differences between the two, so what exactly are you on about?

Are you talking about the guy on the comments section saying it was played on PS3? Because all he did was post the scans, I don't think he has any affiliation with GI.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
sw33tclyde said:
I've read the english GI review and they don't mention any differences between the two, so what exactly are you on about?

I messaged they guy and asked if they knew what version the review was written on and I was told the review was taken from the PS3 version. So All the text written is from PS3 gameplay.. Alot of us were worried and it seems that the PS3 version will not suffer the GTAIV issues.

TTG

Anyone have an updated list(google or otherwise) of everyone who signed up to play online? Haven't seen it posted in the official thread yet.

Wag

Dorfdad said:
I messaged they guy and asked if they knew what version the review was written on and I was told the review was taken from the PS3 version. So All the text written is from PS3 gameplay.. Alot of us were worried and it seems that the PS3 version will not suffer the GTAIV issues.
Who did you ask? The guy who posted the scans? How should he know what system it was reviewed on? So far all the previews of the game shown so far have been on a 360, I don't see how this would be any different.

Dorfdad said:

In the pre-OT RDR thread a writer for an Austrailian PS3 magazine said he played the game on PS3 pre-gold code and said it was fine. There's really no need to worry too much, I don't think.

IG: Take-Two has made comments that they consider Red Dead Redemption to be a blockbuster franchise. They said it's their "most ambitious game to date." Will RDR really be the next GTA for Take-Two or are they just blowing smoke to validate their purportedly large investment in the game?

Pachter: I’m sure that the quality of Red Dead Redemption is extraordinary, and I expect the game to garner review scores of around 90. Whether the game is a blockbuster franchise will depend upon whether the game resonates with a large segment of the market. The trick in getting a game to sell a lot of units is not as simple as saying it will be a blockbuster. Rather, the game has to be great (likely), has to appeal to a large potential audience (questionable), and has to have solid marketing support (likely). I suppose that you can see where I’m going—I am not sure that a game set in the late 19th century has tremendous mass appeal. I would have said the same for Assassin’s Creed, Prince of Persia, God of War, Dante’s Inferno and any other “period” pieces, yet most of these sold quite well. My bias is that a game that is set in the U.S. West will not be particularly appealing to European audiences, and a game where the most powerful weapon is a Gatling gun will not be particularly appealing to U.S. audiences. With that said, I suppose that the game could sell 2 – 3 million units with a review score of 85 or more and solid marketing, and that’s what I’ve modeled it to sell. I remain skeptical that the game will be considered a “blockbuster franchise,” and certainly do not expect sales to rival those of GTA.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...ockbuster-material-dsi-xl-facing-obsolescene/

In his defense, these comments were from a few weeks back when the hype was not quite as big.

But remember, Pachter also said Borderlands was 'sent out to die'.

Mik2121

speculawyer said:
IG: Take-Two has made comments that they consider Red Dead Redemption to be a blockbuster franchise. They said it's their "most ambitious game to date." Will RDR really be the next GTA for Take-Two or are they just blowing smoke to validate their purportedly large investment in the game?

Pachter: I’m sure that the quality of Red Dead Redemption is extraordinary, and I expect the game to garner review scores of around 90. Whether the game is a blockbuster franchise will depend upon whether the game resonates with a large segment of the market. The trick in getting a game to sell a lot of units is not as simple as saying it will be a blockbuster. Rather, the game has to be great (likely), has to appeal to a large potential audience (questionable), and has to have solid marketing support (likely). I suppose that you can see where I’m going—I am not sure that a game set in the late 19th century has tremendous mass appeal. I would have said the same for Assassin’s Creed, Prince of Persia, God of War, Dante’s Inferno and any other “period” pieces, yet most of these sold quite well. My bias is that a game that is set in the U.S. West will not be particularly appealing to European audiences, and a game where the most powerful weapon is a Gatling gun will not be particularly appealing to U.S. audiences. With that said, I suppose that the game could sell 2 – 3 million units with a review score of 85 or more and solid marketing, and that’s what I’ve modeled it to sell. I remain skeptical that the game will be considered a “blockbuster franchise,” and certainly do not expect sales to rival those of GTA.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...ockbuster-material-dsi-xl-facing-obsolescene/

In his defense, these comments were from a few weeks back when the hype was not quite as big.
Either he pulled that off his ass or I'm alone at thinking otherwise... I mean, yeah, the West setting is American, but I (and all my friends) loved Western movies, and I know a lot of friends are going to be buying this game.. :/

Then again, it's Patcher so I wouldn't really bother about what he says.

eznark

Banned
I have not paid attention as I was planning on waiting to pick the game up but I just saw the $20 pre-order credit on Amazon so I am thinking of grabbing the game. What's the verdict, PS3 or 360 or are there no differences?

Gravijah

eznark said:
I have not paid attention as I was planning on waiting to pick the game up but I just saw the $20 pre-order credit on Amazon so I am thinking of grabbing the game. What's the verdict, PS3 or 360 or are there no differences?

We don't know exactly, but it's always safer to pick up the 360 version. Unless you have friends on the PS3 version, in which case, just pick THAT version up.

Melville

speculawyer said:
Pachter: My bias is that a game that is set in the U.S. West will not be particularly appealing to European audiences

I don't know, cowboys and indians has always been a very popular game among children in my country, and people love western movies... That and Sergio Leone was Italian, so there :p

eznark

Banned
Gravijah said:
We don't know exactly, but it's always safer to pick up the 360 version. Unless you have friends on the PS3 version, in which case, just pick THAT version up.

Just because of the set up I have at home (which allows me to easily move my PS3 from room to room, damn you big 360 brick!) I generally like grabbing multiplats on the PS3 (well...PC 1st). However I seem to remember people having problems with GTA4 on the PS3?

Is the multiplayer of any note, or is it just bullshit hype and destined to fall flat for most of us like GTA4?

Majmun

The game sounds amazing. Too bad it's Westenr-themed. I hate Western movies, games etc :(

Will probably pick it up after a major pricedrop.

eznark said:
Just because of the set up I have at home (which allows me to easily move my PS3 from room to room, damn you big 360 brick!) I generally like grabbing multiplats on the PS3 (well...PC 1st). However I seem to remember people having problems with GTA4 on the PS3?

Is the multiplayer of any note, or is it just bullshit hype and destined to fall flat for most of us like GTA4?

Watch the MP gameplay videos in the OP and decide for yourself.

eznark said:

At this point I'm much more hyped for the multiplayer free roam than the singleplayer, and just like GTAIV, I'll probably end up putting double the amount of my singleplayer playtime into that mode alone.

eznark

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
At this point I'm much more hyped for the multiplayer free roam than the singleplayer, and just like GTAIV, I'll probably end up putting double the amount of my singleplayer playtime into that mode alone.

If it is good I will too just because of the theme, especially if there is Leone-esque music playing the whole time!

Teknoman

GTA IV MP was incredibly fun and action packed, its just small things like constant radar, the way games were organized/players met up, and lock on that messed things up. And lack of people with headsets early on for PS3.

Heres hoping for a decent mix of all the MP types when playing with others online, including the 4p co-op only missions.

red shoe paul said:
I agree. At least for me. I don't have time guessing and shit on where to go for side quests. It would be good to know in open worlds where the fuck to go.

That's all the fun of it though. Main missions point you the direction you need to go anyway so of course a guide would be a little silly.

Top Bottom