• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

One aspect of the game that will probably require a guide for 100% is the treasure hunting. The previews have said you can find/buy maps that are simple drawings of in-game locations/landmarks, and that's all you have to go on.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
A true complete western experience in a videogame. This might very well be my favorite game of the year based on story alone. DAMN. I hope they didn't fuck up since I heard bad things on GAF regarding the developers.

jedimike

I preordered this and Alan Wake from Amazon. Now I have to decide which to play first. I think I'll play Alan Wake... not because I think it is the better (or worse) game, but because it's 10-12 hours and RDR will be dozens of hours or more. I think of it as eating the buttery baked potato before diving into the rib eye steak.

sw33tclyde said:
One aspect of the game that will probably require a guide for 100% is the treasure hunting. The previews have said you can find/buy maps that are simple drawings of in-game locations/landmarks, and that's all you have to go on.

I was honestly considering doing those the very first thing! Or at least as soon as I get a fast horse. I can't wait to go find treasure!

brentech

sw33tclyde said:
I generally like to discover anything on my own and complete stories long before I delve into maps, but I could see myself checking some of this out when all is said and done.

On the other hand, by that time, I usually stop caring and move on to another game.
I'm really hoping the GAF player list will get some online going and keep me interested long after I've completed the main course.

Bizzyb

Banned
Wow, this could possibly be the best ever official thread for a videogame ever. Awesome job on the OP. Can't wait, just 9 more days

deadbeef

JoeBoy101 said:
Ennio Morricone

I'm sure others will come up with other recommendations, but this man's work:

220px-Ennio_Morricone_66%C3%A8me_Festival_de_Venise_%28Mostra%29.jpg

is required listening. Some of the music, especially in the new TV AD and in the 'My Name Is...' trailer are heavily influenced.

A good example of his music from this scene, perhaps the best western shootout evah.

Youtube

Warning: That is a Spoiler for that movie!

Nemic77 said:
Luis Bacalov
Bruno Nicolai

Various tracks from them can be heard on Red Dead Revolver.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will try and get a decent playlist for myself to hold me over until next week.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
How trustworthy is Game Informer? Is there any objectivity there, or are the scores mainly based off of hype?

Big Ass Ramp said:
How trustworthy is Game Informer? Is there any objectivity there, or are the scores mainly based off of hype?

A lot of people say their ratings are inflated, but almost all of their highly rated games are scores I agree with so it's hard for me to have that opinion.

eznark

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
They have the pretty awesome 8-10 scale for "AAA" titles. The writing is usually pretty good though, which is the important part anyway.

Simo

zero margin said:
I am realllly tempted to call in to work next Wednesday.

I tried getting Tuesday off but to no avail.:lol

I know though that getting back from the midnight launch I'm going to play for a couple of hours to try single player and multi, the hard part will be to not play through the night with work at 6am!

Oh and to follow up the Gamestop thing, their RDR page is back up but the actual game listing still doesn't have the special edition nor the Deadly Assassin bonus.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/rdrvote/

Simo said:
I tried getting Tuesday off but to no avail.:lol

I know though that getting back from the midnight launch I'm going to play for a couple of hours to try single player and multi, the hard part will be to not play through the night with work at 6am!

Oh and to follow up the Gamestop thing, their RDR page is back up but the actual game listing still doesn't have the special edition nor the Deadly Assassin bonus.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/rdrvote/

Email those bastards. Perhaps they're running low on SE copies and are limiting them to in-store pre-orders only, and giving online pre-orders the $10 coupon?

Simo

sw33tclyde said:
Email those bastards. Perhaps they're running low on SE copies and are limiting them to in-store pre-orders only, and giving online pre-orders the $10 coupon?

Well I preordered in store so there shouldn't be a problem but I shot them an email for folks that have ordered online just to clarify what's up.

dakster

Neo Member
Damn! will need to wait till Friday to play it here in the UK. Can't wait to hear impressions from you lucky Gaffers getting it three days earlier.

Just got new GI in the mail (gears cover) and here are some the tidbits from the RDR review that you guys might find...interesting.

"Those who tired of the errand boy mission structure in GTA IV won't find any solace in red dead - to get what he needs, Marston helps peddle cure-all tonics, aids in the finding of lost treasure, puts in time herding cattle on the ranch and rescues kidnapped citizens"

but on the bright side (if you find the previous bad that is)...

"The shantytowns and bustling cities littering the land offer an equally deep level of engagement. While in town you can shop for provisions, watch a hilariously offensive silent film warning of the dangers of women's suffrage, take a night watch shift to protect the sleeping village from burglars, play a game of horseshoes, or head to the saloon to play a game of chance like five finger filet, blackjack, liar's dice or Texas hold 'em. Try to cheat at poker and you may find yourself facing your accuser outside the cantina."

This title wasn't even on my radar, about a month ago I started reading a load of previews, etc. And BAM! insta-hype!

But I seriously hope it's multiplayer plays out the way intended. I'm not worried about Singleplayer/story mode in the slightest. I'm not sure, MP sounds great on paper (yes, there are gameplay teasers/trailers) but it could ultimately turn out to be a 'bust'. It has a lot of awesome potential, I hope RDR meets it.

Dynamic3

zero margin said:
Just got new GI in the mail (gears cover) and here are some the tidbits from the RDR review that you guys might find...interesting.

"Those who tired of the errand boy mission structure in GTA IV won't find any solace in red dead - to get what he needs, Marston helps peddle cure-all tonics, aids in the finding of lost treasure, puts in time herding cattle on the ranch and rescues kidnapped citizens"

but on the bright side (if you find the previous bad that is)...

"The shantytowns and bustling cities littering the land offer an equally deep level of engagement. While in town you can shop for provisions, watch a hilariously offensive silent film warning of the dangers of women's suffrage, take a night watch shift to protect the sleeping village from burglars, play a game of horseshoes, or head to the saloon to play a game of chance like five finger filet, blackjack, liar's dice or Texas hold 'em. Try to cheat at poker and you may find yourself facing your accuser outside the cantina."

Aside from the lack of mid-mission check points, the only thing I disliked about the missions themselves were the chase missions where the runaway would magically stay ahead of you for a set time/distance before you could actually catch up to them; it was pointless. I hope a horse variant of those isn't included in RDR.

zero margin said:

I read a preview talking about this mission and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember anything like it in GTA4.

From what I read it seemed to be more of an introduction to the Dead-Eye mechanic than anything. Anyway, in order to get customers for the snake-oil salesman, Marston has to
chug a bottle of the cure-all and perform amazing feats with his trusty side-arm. The first feat is shooting a set of antlers off of a barn 50 yards away. This isn't enough so someone offers to throw their hat up in the air and have you attempt at shooting it. Here is where you Dead-Eye the hat out of the air, resulting in the patron uttering some fightin' words and you're left with the decision of how to deal with the situation.
I don't really see how that is a pizza boy errand..

Dynamic3 said:
Aside from the lack of mid-mission check points, the only thing I disliked about the missions themselves were the chase missions where the runaway would magically stay ahead of you for a set time/distance before you could actually catch up to them; it was pointless. I hope a horse variant of those isn't included in RDR.

:lol Agreed but we both know some things about rockstar games never change, it would be nice to actually take the lead early and stay there one time in a race.

sw33tclyde said:
I read a preview talking about this mission and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember anything like it in GTA4.

From what I read it seemed to be more of an introduction to the Dead-Eye mechanic than anything. Anyway, in order to get customers for the snake-oil salesman, Marston has to
chug a bottle of the cure-all and perform amazing feats with his trusty side-arm. The first feat is shooting a set of antlers off of a barn 50 yards away. This isn't enough so someone offers to throw their hat up in the air and have you attempt at shooting it. Here is where you Dead-Eye the hat out of the air, resulting in the patron uttering some fightin' words and you're left with the decision of how to deal with the situation.
I don't really see how that is a pizza boy errand..

Good to know and something tells me GI left quite a bit out. Anyways you're talking to someone who enjoyed the SHIT out of the pizza boy missions so to me it's all good no matter. :lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh man, I'm going to be playing so much online!

Singleplayer until I get the ability to go online, if it's done via the campsite as people have suggested. Otherwise straight up!

I like the simple title of the thread, if it weren't called that way I would suggest
Red Dead Redemption - Official thread of 75% of the participants having RDR avatars.

Dynamic3

zero margin said:
:lol Agreed but we both know some things about rockstar games never change, it would be nice to actually take the lead early and stay there one time in a race.

Hah yeah the racing missions also blew.

Just downloaded all the trailers/vids to my iPod. Neat. Hype, hype, hype.

Speaking of the hype machine... I heard Fox pushed the RDR TV special to 5/29 from 5/15 which kinda bummed me out. Anyone heard about the move?

Also, thought I saw a snippet about G4 putting up a special hour-long special or something, but can't find word of it on the interwebs.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
darkressurection said:
I am not sure if this has been answered, but are there any major differences between the 360 and PS3 versions that we know of yet?
Nothing known yet.

UrokeJoe

DrBo42 said:
The Proposition is on instant queue, and according to the OP it was part of their inspiration. So I'd say go for that. None of the classics I know of are available.

Thanks for the heads up on The Proposition. Just finished it. Great film!

Lebron

Was bored earlier so I spliced up some game clips with audio from the Assassination of Jesse James trailer. Tried to make it work, but not as good as other people, heh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2xRyaVYbE

Man I need this game. Sucks I will be in Hawaii when it comes out, hope I can track down a copy there. I already have a few friends purchasing PS3's just to play this, since they are big western fans.

Top Bottom