• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Eagle Games making WHEEL OF TIME game... Obsidian is programming.. lol!

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=1193

Red Eagle Games, the company that currently holds the video game and movie rights to the Wheel of Time, announced this evening that they have entered into a partnership with Obsidian Entertainment with the intent of producing high-end electronic role-paying games.

Here’s the full press release:

RED EAGLE GAMES SELECTS OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT AS GAME DEVELOPMENT PARTNER

Noted RPG Developer to Assist Red Eagle Games in Building Video Games Based on Robert Jordan’s Fantasy Series “The Wheel of Time”

Malibu and Irvine Calif. – February 12, 2010 – Red Eagle Games and Obsidian Entertainment today announced they have entered into a services agreement which provides a comprehensive framework for Obsidian Entertainment to work closely with Red Eagle Games’ in-house development team to create new video games for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 based on Robert Jordan’s best-selling fantasy series, The Wheel of Time.

“The development team at Obsidian Entertainment has demonstrated time and again that they can successfully blend storytelling with technology to craft a superior RPG game experience,” said Rick Selvage, Chief Executive Officer of Red Eagle Games. “Obsidian Entertainment is the ideal development partner to help Red Eagle Games take Jordan’s beloved characters from the printed page to exciting new forms of interactive media.“

“Obsidian Entertainment is thrilled with this opportunity to work with Red Eagle Games in developing games based upon The Wheel of Time series,” said Feargus Urquhart, Chief Executive Officer of Obsidian Entertainment. “The Wheel of Time is a rich universe that lends itself to incredible gaming possibilities.”

Red Eagle Games was formed in 2006, and the Company plans to publish a line of video games on all major platforms, including consoles, personal computers, handheld systems and wireless devices. The Company’s Wheel of Time games will be available through retail channels around the world by the Company’s distribution partner, Electronic Arts. Red Eagle Games’ principals Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon are also producing a live-action motion picture based upon The Wheel of Time for Universal Pictures through their production company, Red Eagle Entertainment.

“Although Red Eagle Games is both a game producer and publisher, as a new company, we quickly recognized that we could benefit from supplementing small in-house creative and technical teams with a proven third party developer,” said Larry Mondragon, Chief Operating Officer of Red Eagle Games. “Our alliance with Obsidian Entertainment is a perfect fit and will greatly improve the quality, cost and time-to-market for the first-generation of our Wheel of Time games.”

“The Wheel of Time is one of the greatest and well-received fantasy series of all time,” said Chris Avellone, Chief Creative Officer of Obsidian Entertainment. “Games set in Robert Jordan’s universe have the chance to deliver on the epic storylines and the complex characters that the series is known for – and this is one of Obsidian’s strengths. It’s a natural fit.”

Obsidian Entertainment was established in 2003 by a group of experienced industry veterans. With the company’s first title, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords for Lucas Arts (2004, Xbox & PC), Obsidian quickly established itself as a top-tier developer of critically-acclaimed role playing games featuring strong characters, richly conceived visuals and storylines and teeming with action and adventure. Obsidian subsequently developed the Neverwinter Nights 2 game series for Atari, based upon the popular Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. Titles in this series included Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006, PC and Mac/OS X), Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007, PC), and Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (2008, PC). Obsidian is currently completing two major games for planned release during 2010, Alpha Protocol (PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, to be published by Sega) and a much-anticipated sequel in the Fallout series, Fallout: New Vegas (PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3).

The details of Jordan’s meticulously crafted series have captivated readers since 1990, when The Eye of the World, the first book in the series, was published. Eleven additional books, including one prequel, have since been added to the series and have consistently appeared on the New York Times Bestseller List with the last five of his novels in the series debuting at No. 1. Jordan passed away in 2007 at the age of 58, but his publisher, Tor Books, subsequently announced that a final trilogy of novels will bring his epic series to its long-awaited climax. The most recent installment in the series, entitled The Gathering Storm, was published in October of 2009 by Tor Books. The last three novels are being penned by fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson using notes, audio recordings and draft materials left with Jordan’s wife and editor, Harriet Rigney.

Jordan’s wildly popular books have been translated into 24 languages, and have sold about 44 million copies worldwide. According to Tor Books, the publisher of The Wheel of Time novels, there are about 65,000 The Wheel of Time fan Web sites as a part of a vast global on-line fan community.

About Red Eagle Games
Based in Southern California, Red Eagle Games is an independent video game company undertaking the transformation of Jordan’s literary masterpiece “The Wheel of Time” into high-quality interactive gaming products for the personal computer, game consoles, mobile and wireless devices, and online play. Red Eagle Games’ Web site is located at www.red-eagle-games.com.

About Obsidian Entertainment
Obsidian Entertainment is an entertainment software development company passionately dedicated to making high quality, next-generation Role-Playing Games for PC and console systems. Based in Irvine, California, Obsidian Entertainment’s Web site is located at www.obsidian.net.

This could be pretty damned awesome for us WoT fans! :D

A quote from the comments on the post I linked to from Red Eagle Games CEO:

Hello Everyone!

Thanks to Jason for posting the announcement of our relationship with Obsidian. However, I would like to set the record straight about two important aspects of our development plan.

First, you will all be happy to hear that we are not planning to make a traditional “movie” game that merely recasts the picture we are currently making with Universal. Instead, we want to concentrate our development efforts on telling the other facets of The Wheel of Time story. And as you know, we have a lot to choose from– literally thousands of years of history and scores of major characters, nations, geographies and critical moments in the history of the world since the beginning of the Third Age.

Thus, we have been vetting many creative ideas for game formats, including games derived from the Age of Legends, The Breaking of the World, the War of the Shadow, and even a game concept that focuses on the battle among the Forsaken to become the one and only Nae’blis. We are also looking at skill-based games that are based on the testing of the Aes Sedai for the shawl and the wielding of the many intricate sword forms that are second nature to an experienced Warder. All of this is to simply say that we are critically thinking about game design for an entire family of WOT games that are consistent and supportive of the story portrayed in the movies, but that do far more that merely retell the plotlines, characters and scenes from the films. Trust me when I say that we intend to build games that will excite the imagination of every WOT fan. We just ask that the Wheel of Time community wait to see the fruits of our labor before passing judgement on whether we have been successful in our efforts.

I would also like to make one additional clarification. We are not licensing our WOT development rights and stepping back from the process of building these video games. Quite to the contrary, Red Eagle Games will have an internal development team of its own. However, rather than staffing up a 200 person studio from scratch, we decided some time ago that for our first games it would be far more prudent to hire a small in-house team (e.g. positions such as Art Director, Game Designer, Story Writer, Software Architect, Quality Assurance Director, etc.) and rely on a third party developer to provide the majority of developers and their associated overhead and infrastructure. In this way, we will be providing technical and creative direction to our external developer.

Obsidian Entertainment is a highly-respected game developer with a well-deserved industry reputation for building quality action/role-playing games. By eliminating the need to recruit and manage a large internal workforce within Red Eagle Games, we expect that this new relationship with Obsidian will enable the Company to achieve substantially lower development costs, a shorter production cycle, and improve the quality of our initial video game releases.

We follow the message boards here on Dragonmount closely. We will always give careful consideration to your thoughtful comments and suggestions.

Kind regards,

Larry Mondragon
Chief Operating Officer
Red Eagle Games

Somewhere over NeoGAF, a wind of hype arose....

Salazar

I look forward—into the swirling, mind-meltingly distant mists of the future—to playing this.

Punching Elaida in the face, and going down on one knee and taking Egwene's head off with a broadsword slice, would be the culmination of a dream.

rezuth

I vaguely remember a old Wheel of Time game, running on the unreal engine IIRC. Was pretty bad so this one has a good chance of being better at least.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
fanboi said:
^ And hopefully not buggy as NWN2...
Goddammit. EVERY FUCKING TIME Obsidian is brought up, it's NWN2 this, KOTOR2 that. It's getting ridiculous.

Obsidian is awesome, end of story.

fanboi

Banned
wmat said:
Goddammit. EVERY FUCKING TIME Obsidian is brought up, it's NWN2 this, KOTOR2 that. It's getting ridiculous.

But it is the truth? They might be good, but their game need more polish.

bjork

fanboi said:
^ And hopefully not buggy as NWN2...

I've yet to play an Obsidian game, but my buddy works there and I've been waiting for AP for eons. I'd like to see what the fuss is about without digging out an old PC game or whatever.

Palmer_v1

Awesome! I can't wait for it to eventually be released several years late, and in 3 installments, by a different developer.

Woah... Obsidian is making a Wheel of Time game? Wow... Obsidian is amazing of course, and The Wheel of Time is an exceptional series, one of the best recent fantasy series in my opinion, so this definitely is pretty good news. I wonder how it'll play... how do you adapt the WoT rules well for an RPG? I'm sure they'll do a good job of it, however they do it, but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

(Oh, the old Wheel of Time FPS (from 1999) wasn't a bad game... it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad. Great art design and architecture.)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
fanboi said:
But it is the truth? They might be good, but their game need more polish.
Yeah, they tend to need at least half a year more than they're given. Whether that's their fault is debatable though.

the-wheel-of-time.328315.jpg

Target render.

mavs

Oh wow. That is rather surprising. Any new Obsidian game is good, but WOT? That universe is so enormous I have no idea what I should expect out of this.

I would also like to make one additional clarification. We are not licensing our WOT development rights and stepping back from the process of building these video games. Quite to the contrary, Red Eagle Games will have an internal development team of its own. However, rather than staffing up a 200 person studio from scratch, we decided some time ago that for our first games it would be far more prudent to hire a small in-house team (e.g. positions such as Art Director, Game Designer, Story Writer, Software Architect, Quality Assurance Director, etc.) and rely on a third party developer to provide the majority of developers and their associated overhead and infrastructure. In this way, we will be providing technical and creative direction to our external developer.

I'm not sure I understand this arrangement correctly, but that seems like a very odd match.

fanboi

Banned
bjork said:
I've yet to play an Obsidian game, but my buddy works there and I've been waiting for AP for eons. I'd like to see what the fuss is about without digging out an old PC game or whatever.

Vanilla NWN2... jesus christ. After patches 'A OK!'

wmat said:
Yeah, they tend to need at least half a year more than they're given. Whether that's their fault is debatable though.

Yes, if they are forced to release early, it's a shame.

Darklord

Banned
wmat said:

Their past games are discussed when mentioning a developer? THAT'S INSANE!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Darklord said:
Their past games are discussed when mentioning a developer? THAT'S INSANE!
Oh come on, the NWN2/KOTOR2 whining is pretty much on the level of bitching about Daikatana now. Might as well not bring it up. Everybody knows this story.

mavs

Blast Processing said:
Press release says it'll be published at retail by EA.

It says it will be published by Red Eagle and distributed by EA. Probably something like Valve and L4D.

robjoh

please let it be good...please let it be good, and let it be open ended.

Please let me be someone else than Rand. (Mat or Perrin please?)

zoku88

Have the books ended yet? (I forget.)

Something without an ending would be perfect for Obsidian. Judging by KOTOR II, they seem

wmat said:

darn...

fanboi

Banned
robjoh said:
please let it be good...please let it be good, and let it be open ended.

Please let me be someone else than Rand. (Mat or Perrin please?)

I think it will be in the world (maybe not even the Age were Rand is born!) but you create your own character with your own adventure.

So are we talking RPG here or more like the first WOT game? (Online tactical shooter)

The first one was great online. (But the combination of my low frame rate and lots of lag was not... )

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
1.) KOTOR 2 had it's release date moved from November to June with less then a months warning. The ending of that game is not in any way Obsidians fault.

2.) NWN2 bugginess is way overblown. I played through Vanilla when it released and had next to no issues. Great game.

Anyways, I'm no fan of WoT but I'll play anything Obsidian is involved with.

OnPoint

Dresden said:
If I was playing WoT, I'd have multiple braids. How would I tug on it if I only had one and it got cut off in battle?

I assumed with your comment that you'd be playing as an adult woman from the Two Rivers. My mistake.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I can't wait to cross my arms under my breasts, then tug on my braids.

:lol

I am not sure how to feel about this. I liked Jordan's World Building, but his writing was less than impressive (really shitty) after the first 3 books. The guy they got to replace him is not that impressive either.

On the other hand, OBSIDIAN!!!!!!

Xater

rezuth said:
I vaguely remember a old Wheel of Time game, running on the unreal engine IIRC. Was pretty bad so this one has a good chance of being better at least.

I played that game. It was more an FPS and was developed by Legend.

Obsidian's awesome and they have certainly proven that they know how to do interesting things in established universes-Mask of the Betrayer and KotOR2 are proof of that.

WoT is a fun universe, with lots of interesting places and conflicts. It's sort of a great place to make a game since you can just choose a different time period or geography from the main series and make some interesting stuff happen. As a bonus, wacky gender issues.

Also Obsidian's "buggy" reputation is indeed way overblown and Legend's Unreal Engine Wheel of Time FPS kicked all sorts of ass. In particular the multiplayer was way ahead of its time and we've still never seen that sort of gameplay since.

OnPoint

Cep said:

I am not sure how to feel about this. I liked Jordan's World Building, but his writing was less than impressive (really shitty) after the first 3 books. The guy they got to replace him is not that impressive either.

On the other hand, OBSIDIAN!!!!!!

Nuts to that. He did an admirable job and I have faith he will bring the series to the great conclusion it deserves.

Cep

Banned
OnPoint said:
Nuts to that. He did an admirable job and I have faith he will bring the series to the great conclusion it deserves.

He did do an admirable job (not much could have been done to rescue that cluster). I was talking about him as a general writer.

He has some very good stuff, but his world-building and character development are extremely poor (Elantris and the 2/3 mistborn stuff). Good with overall plot structure, it is the details he has issues with.

OnPoint

Cep said:
He did do an admirable job (not much could have been done to rescue that cluster). I was talking about him as a general writer.

He has some very good stuff, but his world-building and character development are extremely poor (Elantris and the 2/3 mistborn stuff). Good with overall plot structure, it is the details he has issues with.

OK, I thought you meant with the newest WoT book. I don't know about his original works, as I haven't read any. But lucky for him the world-building and character development have been established then re-established by Jordan to the point of an extra 100 to 150 pages a book.

Wedge7

Wow..nice.

I love the WoT series, all hilarious jokes aside. Was probably my first 'big' series that I started reading as a kid, graduated to this series from classic teenage books like DragonLance and Forgotten Realms, shit blew my mind back in the day.

I also am really starting to like OE, quickly becoming one of my favorite RPG devs, so this could be an awesome partnership.

I'm excited.

Durante

That's really awesome, the WoT universe has some very interesting properties. I'm looking forward to see how they manifest themselves in a game.

Salazar said:
The game will cost nothing up-front, but there will come a day when Obsidian calls...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
wmat said:

Valid...well NWN 2 is.

Durante

Could this announcement be early fallout from DA's financial success? Probably not, would be a bit too quick in terms of turn-around time.

Althoran

I am quite excited about this. An RPG in the Wheel of Time universe could be great.
But I really disliked the FPS game they made in 1999 about the Wheel of Time.

Here's hoping it will be great.

Top Bottom