• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Eagle Games making WHEEL OF TIME game... Obsidian is programming.. lol!

Durante

Or maybe it will be like NWN2 and the beginning will be mediocre and the rest will be good.
Or it will be like MotB and everything will be awesome!

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm really looking forward to see how the underlying system is. If there's anything that could rival D&D for complexity, it's this.

There's a lot of chances to do some interesting design too, if they pull of some effects and really made next gen deliver the fear of fighting a fade for the first time, or many of the other things.

They could even throw a little guitar hero in, when you go to inn and want to perform :lol I feel like the last good game that let you go from inn to inn playing awful music was Betrayal at Krondor

Either way this game will likely deliver, be it hilarious or awesome or both!

*shrugs* As a day one'er KotoR2 & NVN2 I think the complaints are valid, but ultimately NVN2 was a great game (after much patching).
This is great news, I know plenty of WoT fans that'll be really happy with this news.

Salazar

Minsc said:
They could even throw a little guitar hero in, when you go to inn and want to perform :lol I feel like the last good game that let you go from inn to inn playing awful music was Betrayal at Krondor!

Yes, motherfucker. Give me a plastic lute peripheral and let me roam the taverns.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oh, boy. Can I run a three-woman train on myself in this game, thus fulfilling my creepily-exposed sexual fantasies?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
WanderingWind said:
Oh, boy. Can I run a three-woman train on myself in this game, thus fulfilling my creepily-exposed sexual fantasies?

It's Obsidian, not Bioware.

Uncle

WanderingWind said:

The women will throw themselves at you while you remain emotionally distant and never commit to anything. For their own good, of course. It's very noble.

Patryn

What's the point of getting Obsidian if you're going to retain the writing and designing duties? Most of their games' problems haven't necessarily been their fault, but they haven't proven they can put out a super polished game yet.

Gattsu25

Banned
Does this mean that every random beggar or barsmaid will lecture you for 1/2 hour with random exposition about ancient kings and previous wars?

ArjanN

As I understand it they're taking the KOTOR approach where's it's in the universe but not just retelling the story of the books?

I just got frustrated with the books, they were pretty good at first, but then in the last several books nothing happened for hundreds of pages and kept introducing new characters no-one cared about, and then the author died. IMO This petered out even worse than Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Ledsen

Cep said:
:lol

I am not sure how to feel about this. I liked Jordan's World Building, but his writing was less than impressive (really shitty) after the first 3 books. The guy they got to replace him is not that impressive either.

On the other hand, OBSIDIAN!!!!!!

Yeah the WoT books are really horribly written. There's no reason the game couldn't be good though, since the world is kind of interesting. In any case I'd much prefer a book based on the (in every way superior IMO) Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series, or maybe the Death Gate Cycle (which has an interesting and slightly different take on the classic fantasy world but sadly falls apart after 3-4 books).

thefil

Well, I must say I am excited. I'm ready to box the ears of anyone who thinks Wheel of Time isn't more fun than tossing a badger on the Green at Winternight.

The problem with Wheel of Time as a game is that it'd lose the many-important-characters effect; I want other characters to be moving dynamically around the world map as you play (or at least based on a preset timeline/storyline).

thefil

They could just toss you in the world and give you your own, less grandiose story to play out. There's so much lore there and room for story parallel to that of the books.

NIN90

More Fun To Compute said:
So, the important question is which Bioware game is this going to be a copy of? Dragon Age? They haven't done Jade Empire yet.

That doesn't make any sense.

Dragon

Banned
Ledsen said:
Yeah the WoT books are really horribly written. There's no reason the game couldn't be good though, since the world is kind of interesting. In any case I'd much prefer a book based on the (in every way superior IMO) Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series, or maybe the Death Gate Cycle (which has an interesting and slightly different take on the classic fantasy world but sadly falls apart after 3-4 books).

Otherland in some ways is way beyond MST.

MST has those HORRIBLE tunnel segments that take up a small part of the first book and a terribly big amount of the last one.

Manmademan said:
I guess this is workable- cut a decent chunk of the filler out and you'd have a fairly good game or two.

I always imagined a jRPG set in Eye of the World. It's kinda perfect.

You have Rand not powerful and not sure of himself, the Auron like Lan, Moiraine who isn't all that powerful of an Aes Sedai. Plus ALL the characters split off but end up together at the end.

The good thing about the Wheel of Time universe (whether or not you think Jordan is a good writer) is the sheer amount of content and history that exists.

Haunted said:
never heard of this wheel of time stuff before

Originally a trilogy there will end up being 14 books of variable length (the biggest finishes over 1000 pages in paperback form).

I wish the Eye of the World prologue was online, that always gets me.

The original author Robert Jordan died after finishing Knife of Dreams (11th book), and Brandon Sanderson is finishing the series.

thefil said:
They could just toss you in the world and give you your own, less grandiose story to play out. There's so much lore there and room for story parallel to that of the books.
That's true.

Personally, I think it might be smartest to set the game at some point earlier in history than the books take place, but that's just me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
this is basically a terrible idea

Building a game in a world that suits itself perfectly for an cRPG is a terrible idea? WoT has such a great, indepth system of checks and balances, it's a shame it never saw the infinity engine, could have been up there with BG2 and Torment if the pieces fell in to place.

duckroll

I love Obsidian because they have many key staff who were from Black Isle Studios, and they have great ideas, awesome writing abilities, and generally know how to design interesting RPG systems and so on. On the other hand, there is no indication at all the Black Isles or Obsidian are in any way a good or even decent developer when it comes to just raw development. Their games have been bug-ridden at release, engines are not optimized, and there are always delays after delays. If a developer thinks it is a good idea to partner with Obsidian as a contracted developer, while creating all the ideas and design internally... they're not going to be in business for very long I fear!

Grooski

Banned
Just give me an Elaida/Lanfear/Moiraine sex-minigame and I'll be all set.

Jesus, imagine an RPG in this universe?

robjoh

thefil said:

agree, join the red hand, the black/white tower etc.

duckroll

This quote is probably lost in the OP, but it is VERY worrying, and I'll break it down:

I would also like to make one additional clarification. We are not licensing our WOT development rights and stepping back from the process of building these video games. Quite to the contrary, Red Eagle Games will have an internal development team of its own. However, rather than staffing up a 200 person studio from scratch, we decided some time ago that for our first games it would be far more prudent to hire a small in-house team (e.g. positions such as Art Director, Game Designer, Story Writer, Software Architect, Quality Assurance Director, etc.) and rely on a third party developer to provide the majority of developers and their associated overhead and infrastructure. In this way, we will be providing technical and creative direction to our external developer.

It basically means that Red Eagle Games is designing the game, not Obsidian. Obsidian will most likely not be writing, designing or directing the game creation process. Instead they are being hired to develop the game, build an engine, and build all the assets based on the direction of Red Eagle Games. I don't see why any Obsidian fan will be happy with an arrangement where the creative direction is not in the hands of Obsidian at all.

Acosta

duckroll said:
I love Obsidian because they have many key staff who were from Black Isle Studios, and they have great ideas, awesome writing abilities, and generally know how to design interesting RPG systems and so on. On the other hand, there is no indication at all the Black Isles or Obsidian are in any way a good or even decent developer when it comes to just raw development. Their games have been bug-ridden at release, engines are not optimized, and there are always delays after delays. If a developer thinks it is a good idea to partner with Obsidian as a contracted developer, while creating all the ideas and design internally... they're not going to be in business for very long I fear!

I finished Neverwinter Nights 2 without patches with no problems at all except a few glitches. Mask of the Betrayer was flawless for me, and KOTOR 2 was solid, the problem was the insane content cut, not the code itself. They are not a fast studio, but they don't develop easy games at all.

It has said before in this thread, that legend it´s way overblown. Their capacity to create great stories and characters surpass their technical shortcomings by far.

In any case, really excited for it. I love seeing Obsidian getting interesting worlds to work with, they have some of my favourite fantasy writers and designers of the industry and you always know that a RPG it´s going to be interesting at their hands.

duckroll said:
It basically means that Red Eagle Games is designing the game, not Obsidian. Obsidian will most likely not be writing, designing or directing the game creation process. Instead they are being hired to develop the game, build an engine, and build all the assets based on the direction of Red Eagle Games. I don't see why any Obsidian fan will be happy with an arrangement where the creative direction is not in the hands of Obsidian at all.

Yeah... that doesn't sound super promising. I would need to know more about how they are going to make this work, if Obsidian can't use their own designers and writers on this is missing the point, but I don't think they would have accepted if they are not going to have any creative input.

duckroll

Acosta said:
I finished Neverwinter Nights 2 without patches with no problems at all except a few glitches.

Unless you started playing Neverwinter Nights 2 after you installed Mask of the Betrayer, I will say you are either lying, or you have no quality standards whatsoever when it comes to games. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. When NWN2 originally launched, there wasn't even an overhead camera view. The controls were completely wretched, and the engine was balls. Low unplayable framerates on a system which DID meet the minimum requirements. It's not blown out of proportion because it's true. :p

Acosta said:
they have some of my favourite fantasy writers and designers of the industry and you always know that a RPG it´s going to be interesting at their hands.

Then maybe you missed the part in the OP where it mentioned that Red Eagle are hiring their own game designers, story writers and art directors to develop the game, and it will be them providing both technical and creative direction to Obsidian to just develop the game. :lol

botticus

Judging by how much time I spent in WoT MUDs (why yes, I was an Aiel clan chief, king of Murandy, and an Illuminator!), I can see a lot of potential in a cRPG.

robjoh

duckroll said:
This quote is probably lost in the OP, but it is VERY worrying, and I'll break it down:

It could also mean that they put Obsidian to do one game meanwhile they are designing number two.

I personaly don't give a crap about who is developing the game as long as it is good when it is done.

duckroll

robjoh said:
It could also mean that they put Obsidian to do one game meanwhile they are designing number two.

I personaly don't give a crap about who is developing the game as long as it is good when it is done.

I don't see how you can gather that at all from the way he has phrased it. He clearly says that they are partnering with Obsidian so Obsidian can provide the manpower to actually make the game, while they will be handling the core design aspects of the game - writing, design, direction, etc. No Obsidian fan should want this because Obsidian is a creative powerhouse, working on someone else's creative vision is a waste of time for the developer.

duckroll said:

So this will be like a Mistwalker situation, with Red Eagle being Mistwalker and Obsidian being Artoon?

This is going to be a disaster, mark my words.

duckroll

gregor7777 said:
So this will be like a Mistwalker situation, with Red Eagle being Mistwalker and Obsidian being Artoon?

This is going to be a disaster, mark my words.

From the sounds of it, that is exactly it. I have changed the title to reflect that!

Acosta

duckroll said:
Unless you started playing Neverwinter Nights 2 after you installed Mask of the Betrayer, I will say you are either lying, or you have no quality standards whatsoever when it comes to games. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. When NWN2 originally launched, there wasn't even an overhead camera view. The controls were completely wretched, and the engine was balls. Low unplayable framerates on a system which DID meet the minimum requirements. It's not blown out of proportion because it's true. :p

I respect you enough to not making bullshit, why I would lie? Maybe my standards are not up to yours but I have played crpgs for years, including some really terrible ones like some of the last Might & Magic, and I know when something works and when don't. Let me repeat, I had no problem, nor with the game, nor with the framerate (but I played in a computer way over the specific requirements). It had it's interface problems and shortcomings, but I got used to them.

I made an edit about the last part, and I'm agree, it´s worriying but I won't jump into conclusions until I have more detailes, maybe both teams will colaborate,

Top Bottom