• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities + New Album Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Hot Chili Peppers just put out a new single called Dark Necessities. They also announced that their new album, The Getaway, is coming out June 17th.

I've enjoyed the song so far. They're trying something new with the piano track which is an interesting choice. Not too sure how I feel about it just yet but it's good to try new things. The guitar is pretty subdued in this song but there's a nice little solo at the end.

Don't know if I'd like an entire album like this, but for one song it's an interesting change of pace.

Lock it up and give it away now if old.

kavanf1

I've loved RHCP for about 25 years so I hate saying this, but my initial reaction to their new song is that it feels like Chili Peppers by numbers. I hope there's more variety on the album as they've been riffing off Californication for the last several albums and it's getting old.

I've loved RHCP for about 25 years so I hate saying this, but my initial reaction to their new song is that it feels like Chili Peppers by numbers. I hope there's more variety on the album as they've been riffing off Californication for the last several albums and it's getting old.

Yeah I kinda feeling the same way. If this whole new album ends up being like this it's gonna be super bland.

jstripes

Banned

This happens with most bands at that stage in their career. But you have to wonder if the blandness is just some form of satiation from a string of similar performances.

If you played this track for a fan 20 years ago, what would the reaction be on ears that hadn't heard 10 or so albums at that point?

I like it, it's better than Scar Tissue and Dani California which were two pretty weak first singles.

200.gif

Guess I'm talking about all the weird stuff he released after Empyrean. Big fan but never could get into his new stuff.

Just finished another listen on this new song; it's decent if not predictable.

Helmholtz

Guess I'm talking about all the weird stuff he released after Empyrean. Big fan but never could get into his new stuff.

Just finished another listen on this new song; it's decent if not predictable.
He's been shit since Empyrean, you are right. And I'm a pretty big fan of his older stuff.
He's wasting his talents with electronic music. Kudos to him for giving it a shot but it's just not good.

Bento

The instrumentation is nice but boy, that's a weak hook they got going in the chorus :( I'll give the album a spin but not expecting much at this point.

He's been shit since Empyrean, you are right. And I'm a pretty big fan of his older stuff.
He's wasting his talents with electronic music. Kudos to him for giving it a shot but it's just not good.

I thinkIn Your Eyes and In My Light off the Letur-Lefr EP stands up to his old stuff. Enclosure had some highlights too.

GhaleonEB

I liked it more than I was expecting to, and really didn't expect the piano, but it worked well. The whole song has a nice vibe to it.

The chorus hook grew on me a lot as the song went on. The guitar solo at the end felt very by the numbers, though. Haven't picked up any RHCP albums since Stadium, but I'll take a look at this one.

SDCowboy

As a RHCP fan from back in the day, I didn't like it. Not that I thought it was bad, but I just wasn't a fan.

Still with Josh Klinghoffer on guitar? I feel like half of Guitar-GAF and at least 40% of the people in a Guitar Center on a given Saturday morning are better than that dude. Such a massive downgrade from John.

hydruxo

I like it, it's definitely a grower. Digging the piano + bassline and Josh's solo towards the end was pretty good.

Dragun619

Haven't really dug too much of the latest RHCP's stuff, but yea, it's alright.

Feels like it needs John Frusciante tho, but man, I hope he eventually rejoins them to make another album or even do a world tour. Shit, would be hype for me.

hydruxo

Haven't really dug too much of the latest RHCP's stuff, but yea, it's alright.

Feels like it needs John Frusciante tho, but man, I hope he eventually rejoins them to make another album or even do a world tour. Shit, would be hype for me.

Johns never coming back to RHCP, or any other big band again. He likes doing his own thing away from the public eye and he's mentioned it in interviews a bunch of times. I'd love to see it too, but yeah, not happening unless he has some revelation one day.

prag16

Banned
Not earth shattering but I'm liking it. I'm in day one for the album. I liked I'm With You a lot (even if it didn't rise to the heights of Stadium, which includes GOAT Wet Sand) so I doubt they'll let me down here either.

Sesha

Look for the dark necessities
The simple dark necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the dark necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the dark necessities of life

Dragun619

Johns never coming back to RHCP, or any other big band again. He likes doing his own thing away from the public eye and he's mentioned it in interviews a bunch of times. I'd love to see it too, but yeah, not happening unless he has some revelation one day.

Fo sho, I can respect that. John hella deserves it.

Looking up to see what's he's been doing, and damn, that guy is still on his electronic phase.

For what it is (a bunch of 50 year olds trying to reinvent their sound) it's not bad. I'm a sucker for RHCP so I'll cut them some slack. It's not like their at their creative peak anymore.

not bad. their last album was very ok. its the first album of theirs where I thought the singles were the best songs on the album which is a shame. i hope they deliver with this one. will be a day 1 anyway

Stadium Arcadium was 10 years ago. Fuck.

And THAT was a "these guys have been around for awhile" album.

I like it, it's definitely a grower. Digging the piano + bassline and Josh's solo towards the end was pretty good.

It's okay. He basically has one nice riff that he repeats 4 times, a second nice riff that he repeats 4 times, and then a variation on that second riff that he repeats 4 more times. It sounds nice, but as far as being a guitar solo, it's just okay.

Josh clearly has a very different guitar philosophy than John did. It fits the sound they're going for now though.

Yeah that's when I last saw them live. Goddamn. Hell Calfornication was sort of their "old band comeback album" and even that was 1999.
same here. Lolla then a concert in an Arena and thinking back makes me miss John's guitar listening to their last album and this song. dude was seriously underrated to people who only heard singles and never saw live shows

Best thing they've done since Californication. Bass is hot fire.

Eh, not putting it on par with Can't Stop, The Zephyr Song, Throw Away Your Television, Don't Forget Me, Tell Me Baby, Readymade, maybe a couple other songs from SA. The bass is hot fire though.

same here. Lolla then a concert in an Arena and thinking back makes me miss John's guitar listening to their last album and this song. dude was seriously underrated to people who only heard singles and never saw live shows

John is one of the best guitarists in the world, full stop. Especially live.

UrbanRats

By the Way was the last album of theirs i listened to, that was pretty decent though, it had a couple of good songs.

UncleMeat

Nice catchy reserved groove slapping from Flea, he knows he doesn't have to show off.

I need to listen to some newer RHCP (new as in this century); I kind of turned my nose up at the post Californication era but it probably deserves a second chance just to listen to Flea if nothing else.

gosox333

anything's a better leadoff single than Raindance Maggie was

I really liked it, I'm glad this is finally coming out. They've been talking about this album for probably 2 or 3 years now.

It's alright, grew on me after a few listens. Better than Rain Dance Maggie. I do miss John, Josh just seems supplementary. Flea carries the band now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom