• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities + New Album Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive RHCP fan. Really digging this new song. Long the way they integrate the piano into it, and obviously Flea's bass line is a damn fine groove throughout the whole song. I love some funk and they never let me down. The release of this album cannot come soon enough. Love it!
Josh seems to take the back seat though, which reminds me of early Chili Peppers with Hillel. He was there but not over bearing. It's more about the bass. It seems like a deeper, funkier groove and I'm down with that. Really enjoyed I'm With You and though Josh was brilliant without being flashy on it. I'm expecting similar here. Bring on the 17th June!

It's alright, grew on me after a few listens. Better than Rain Dance Maggie. I do miss John, Josh just seems supplementary. Flea carries the band now.

Pretty much this. Was not a huge fan of their last album. Everything seemed kinda bland.
Giving this new album the benefit of the doubt before it comes out.

IvanJ

Banned
I've loved RHCP for about 25 years so I hate saying this, but my initial reaction to their new song is that it feels like Chili Peppers by numbers. I hope there's more variety on the album as they've been riffing off Californication for the last several albums and it's getting old.

I have to agree. Listening to the song I feel I could have been listening to any song in the past decade or even two.
I really tried to enjoy their music many times as they seem like interesting and worthy individuals, but that's about it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I like it. Nice chill vibe, good bass line...not entirely sold on the pianos yet (I skip those tracks on I'm Woth You). By the numbers single, let's see what the album holds for us....

GhaleonEB

A few listens in, and this is really growing on me. Even the guitar work is clicking, the plucking/buzzing in the first verses and the solo at the end in particular. I really dig the direction they went with the piano. Will check out the new album for sure.

Flea will never stop being amazing.

That bass line is delicious.

John is sorely missed though. He did a huge chunk of the song writing, and of course his playing was very expressive and he is an all around great guitarist. The new guy is just kinda there to play some chords and be in the background.

kavanf1

The thing I love most about John is his back story, the fact that he was a huge fan of the band before he ever joined them and was more or less this painfully shy kid plucked from obscurity who went on to define the sound of one of the biggest bands in the world.

G-Bus

Banned
Feeling it. One of my favorite bands from back in the day. Guitars a little weak, bass is killing it. Don't mind the piano.

Think I can get excited for the album.

Let's get some tour dates. Still need to see these fuckers live. Waited way to long to get into the concert scene. Been seeing a lot of my favorite bands when they're old and not as energetic live. Still worth it tho.

hydruxo

Feeling it. One of my favorite bands from back in the day. Guitars a little weak, bass is killing it. Don't mind the piano.

Think I can get excited for the album.

Let's get some tour dates. Still need to see these fuckers live. Waited way to long to get into the concert scene. Been seeing a lot of my favorite bands when they're old and not as energetic live. Still worth it tho.

I saw them live back in 2012 and they were fantastic. I wish I had seen them when John was still with them, but Flea & Chad were great.

Definitely go see them if you get the chance.

It's weird because I was just thinking the other day that I've not heard anything from them in ages now, I thought they might have retired, but then new single and album announced, spooky.

J Range

I've loved RHCP for about 25 years so I hate saying this, but my initial reaction to their new song is that it feels like Chili Peppers by numbers. I hope there's more variety on the album as they've been riffing off Californication for the last several albums and it's getting old.

Id like more stadium arcadium personally, but itll never happen because klinghoffer lets flea dominate every song. Come back frusciante!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Heard it on the radio the other day, can't say I was impressed. The opening slowly building up just transitioned into generic flea bass like they were from 2 different songs completely and they got too afraid to try something different without making sure you knew it was a chilli peppers song.

These new tunes have been pretty decent listens for me, despite feeling kinda...bland. I've not been a massive fan of theirs for years (Californication was the last album I bought), but I've dug all their singles since then.

Also, I adore One Hot Minute. It's one of my favorite albums, hands down. I know Blood Sugar is a classic, and I love it, but I find myself spinning that disc more often. Guess I was just a sucker for that Navarro guitar lol.

G-Bus

Banned
New track sounds like a Stadium Arcadium b-side almost. I like it better than Dark Necessities I think.

Yea, I see where your coming from.

Not sure I like this as much as dark necessities but still good. Generally like a little more up beat type stuff. Might enjoy this more after a puff.

Getting stoked for the album now.

valeo

This is the blandest music I've listened to in a while..

I liked RHCP, but you could tell Kiedis' lack of range would hold them back eventually. There's just only so much that they can do.

All power to you if you like it, though; think my tastes have just changed too.

Album is up on Google Play. been listening for a bit about halfway through. much better overall than I'm With You so far. Some very nice upbeat tunes. Josh's guitar is still not great but it compliments the rest nicely.

Album is up on Google Play. been listening for a bit about halfway through. much better overall than I'm With You so far. Some very nice upbeat tunes. Josh's guitar is still not great but it compliments the rest nicely.
I'm in this boat too, it's a good album, a solid 7/10 for me as nothing really jumps out at me or grabs me but it's enjoyable. The guitar isn't great but it does compliment the rest of music nicely, and perhaps that's best for the more bass and piano oriented style, so musically it's a nice change of pace but I would've preferred better guitar work in at least some of the tracks whereas the focus on each instrument seems consistent throughout the album , maybe because they felt the guitar parts weren't strong enough or just wanted to do something new. Go Robot is a good addition to their discography though and my favorite song on the album so far.

Moppeh

Banned
Gave the album a few listens and none of songs knocked it out of the park for me. Go Robot is something I'll be jamming to for a while but outside of that, the album as a whole is fairly meh.

cirrhosis

They should've stopped at One Hot Minute and gone their separate ways. John was better off doing his own thing once he got clean and shouldn't have rejoined the band.

yagal

They should've stopped at One Hot Minute and gone their separate ways. John was better off doing his own thing once he got clean and shouldn't have rejoined the band.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8086-1355940716-8.gif

Not a terrible album, but if I'm in the mood for some RHCP 99.9% of the time I'm putting on Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

80% of time is Stadium Arcadium for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icjDPI1KbDg

Josh, Josh Klinghoffer... why?

Listening to this album again, it seems like this band really isn't the same at all without Frusciante. That's kind of an obvious statement I guess, but their lack of energy is almost a deal breaker. Like these songs have very little, I dunno, flavor.

Some of these songs are so plain they sound like leftover demos that shouldn't have been released. Looking at you Detroit.

Alphahawk

I really like the how the music video for Dark Necessities compliments the song, to the point that if another song was played instead the narrative would be completely different. Yet because of the lyrical content of the song, you know these Skaters aren't just going out and having a good time, but there's something darker going on.

sobaka770

Banned
This album is more of RHCP, but it has much stronger songs than "I'm with You". Some tracks I like more than others, but it's hits are better and it's lows are less terrible.

Dark Necessities is the obvious hit, very strong from any point.

What surprised me was "The Longest Wave" and definitely, the energetic "Go Robot". That song should be a single, very interesting arrangement. The guys still got it and I hope they got more stuff in them down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom