• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Lobster wants to be a seafood restaurant again, revamps menu to be 85% seafood

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.eater.com/2014/11/3/7151...to-be-a-seafood-restaurant-again-revamps-menu

Here's the latest, seemingly obvious ploy from the struggling seafood chain Red Lobster: According to an announcement, the chain is revamping its menu to include more of its namesake, and "guests can now enjoy lobster on virtually every page of the menu." In addition to lobster dishes like "Wood-Grilled Lobster Tacos" and "Roasted Maine Lobster Bake," a "100% lobster entree," the chain is upping its seafood game in general, adding more shrimp and an "on-trend" appetizer of shrimp lettuce wraps. The Associated Press reports the new menu is now 85 percent seafood, and it does away with unpopular, non-seafood dishes like a wood-grilled pork chop and "spicy tortilla soup."

In May of this year, Red Lobster was sold by its former parent company Darden Restaurants to Golden Gate Capital, the investment firm also behind the California Pizza Kitchen chain. At the time of purchase, Darden announced one billion dollars of the $1.6 billion sale price would "be used to retire outstanding debt." Golden Gate Capital immediately started revamping Red Lobster's menu, doing away with cheap seafood promotions and changing the restaurant's plating style.

Crucially, the restaurant's Cheddar Bay biscuits are still unlimited.

Phoenix

How a restaurant called Red Lobster would deviate from a primarily seafood menu to begin with is completely beyond me.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If they want me to go there, then they should have their biscuits on every page. Fuck their shitty seafood

Armaros

What did Red Lobster become that it wasn't a seafood restaurant?

They started selling things like burgers during lunch and steak and chicken dishes.

Not things like surf and turf, just steak or chicken as your main protein, and then sides.

kirblar

Idiot CEO/Marketing types try and "re-invent" something and totally miss why people liked it in the first place. Happens all the time.

rude

Banned
I had a fried fish platter there once. Never going back.

Biscuits are ace but that shit is literally bisquick etc you can make that shit at home. They even sell red lobster brand at the market now.

kirblar

I had a fried fish platter there once. Never going back.

Biscuits are ace but that shit is literally bisquick etc you can make that shit at home. They even sell red lobster brand at the market now.
This was probably a mistake.

Coolluck

I go at least 4 times a year. 3 times of the year are during Endless Shrimp. The other time is when I'm going through withdrawals for that shrimp. I love Red Lobster and I'll be sad if it goes away.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Aren't they going out of business?

It's in the OP.

In May of this year, Red Lobster was sold by its former parent company Darden Restaurants to Golden Gate Capital, the investment firm also behind the California Pizza Kitchen chain. At the time of purchase, Darden announced one billion dollars of the $1.6 billion sale price would "be used to retire outstanding debt."

leakey

Liquidate the restaurant and just sell the biscuits, or make a new chain with the biscuits as a base. Will never trust their food again, except for the biscuits.

Holy_Chic

Banned
I know the cost of seafood (shrimp in general) has gone up, but while red lobster is okay - it's way overpriced for dinner. Especially as a family of four. Like $20 plus a plate. Meanwhile we can eat at cheddars for half that price per person and its quite frankly better food.

BigDug13

I go once a year for all-you-can-eat shrimp. So I guess this won't have any effect on the one reason I go each year.

dekline

Last time I ate there I had pasta and chicken. I went with friends for some sort of shrimp orgy but didn't enjoy anything other than those god damn biscuits.

draetenth

I'm not a seafood eater so I only went there once a few years ago because my family wanted to go. The only thing I could remember was that the biscuits every here is raving about were pretty bad...

Bread

Banned
How can they take away the tortilla soup!?!? Thats like the best part of their classic 4 course meal.

The place is a guilty pleasure. Love those biscuits. And gimme a steak & shrimp dish.

Not real healthy though. But I very rarely go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom