• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit AMA with Xbox One dev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone answer me this? With most of the DRM stuff gone now, can i still install games to my hard drive and play without authenticating it with a physical disk?

Why would an Xbox One OS dev on Reddit talking about trashed features through ambiguous, overarching statements have any reason to mislead me?

It's the same wording the used all along "full games". Yeah, those are the full games and not demos. Yet you still can only play them 1 hour.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I give the guy (or gal?) credit for acknowledging that the PS4 has the better specs w/o falling back on cloud nonsense.

Can someone answer me this? With most of the DRM stuff gone now, can i still install games to my hard drive and play without authenticating it with a physical disk?

That is impossible to do now. You will always need the disk.

iMax

I don't buy the "family plan" answer. At all.

He says he won't say anything that may identify him, but then says he cannot talk about anything regarding the family plan-that-was-to-be.

Why? How could that possibly identify him if the plan was a robust, fully developed feature that certainly everyone would know about? Why would Major Nelson promise a blog post that never came while they 180'd? How come the actual details never surfaced afterwards, other than saying "it was full games! We promise!"?

I. Don't. Buy. It.

It's probably something that would begin only with Microsoft Studios titles, followed by third parties later. The very fact they said it wouldn't be available at launch suggests it's a little more than just demos, doesn't it? Anyone can download a demo.

Bsigg12

Can someone answer me this? With most of the DRM stuff gone now, can i still install games to my hard drive without authenticating it with a physical disk?

No probably not. That system relied on checking the DRM each day to check what content was on your Xbox. Without the 24 hour check they can't do it.

Jack_AG

Banned
Some benefits were really handy if you ask me.
Buy cheapest physical copy if digital is more expensive.
Link it to your account and throw away the disk.
Im mostly a pc gamer maybe that is why i have preferences digital > physical.
Hell i lost most of my previous disk and casettes anyway im way to clumsy and loose disks easy.
Oh man. Are you actually suggesting DRM means cheaper prices? Your scenario happens today, without DRM. The benefit now? We are not locked into that disk purchase indefinitely and the disk will work regardless of authentication servers provided the game itself does not require internet like an MMO, MP, etc. The game will persist without DRM and check-ins.

RetroStu

Banned

I think you still need the disk in the machine like with the 360. They have to authenticate it somehow and they can't really do it any other way as there will now be people playing the console who don't have internet etc.

Again with this.

They seem to think that if they inundate the consumer with meaningless buzzword PR long enough they'll eventually change their minds. That's why they keep saying it, they very strongly believe marketing and PR was going to have an effect on the general opinion.

He says he won't say anything that may identify him, but then says he cannot talk about anything regarding the family plan-that-was-to-be.

Why? How could that possibly identify him if the plan was a robust, fully developed feature that certainly everyone would know about? Why would Major Nelson promise a blog post that never came while they 180'd? How come the actual details never surfaced afterwards, other than saying "it was full games! We promise!"?

I. Don't. Buy. It.

The family plan answer is the number one reason why i don't think this AMA is truly "unofficial" at all. Most of the answers are pleasant enough, though totally not risky, and there isn't anything that sheds any unfavorable light on microsoft at all through the process. this is pretty unusual- even the best employee has SOME constructive criticism for his boss.

the family plan answer specifically says nothing about one of their most controversial features other than the party line. "it was full games, we promise." but nothing else relevant.

I like the AMA, it's a much better PR effort than what's come before ("we have an offline console. it's called the Xbox360." "specs don't matter." etc) but still is very much the company lines in different packaging.

FINALBOSS

Banned
It's probably something that would begin only with Microsoft Studios titles, followed by third parties later. The very fact they said it wouldn't be available at launch suggests it's a little more than just demos, doesn't it? Anyone can download a demo.

Not when a demo is a random section of a game and the sharing was most likely the exact first hour of a title.

I have no idea why Kinect 2 adds so much cost. I'm really confused by that. The Kinect 1 cost breakdown wasn't really all that much. Maybe he's figuring in the development costs not just the build costs?

Alx

Ha also said he wouldn't break any NDA.
At the moment, I don't think there are many reasons to believe in the 1-hour restriction. We only got a single, shady "source" about it, and it doesn't make too much sense that way : if it is only a demo for all games, why limit it to sharing ? Just let anybody try the beginning of any game, like they did on XBLA.
Of course there would have been other restrictions (1 or 2 players at a time being a good start), but that one doesn't sound like the most likely.

I have no idea why Kinect 2 adds so much cost. I'm really confused by that. The Kinect 1 cost breakdown wasn't really all that much. Maybe he's figuring in the development costs not just the build costs?

Well they changed the depth sensor to an MS-owned technology. Maybe it's more expensive to produce than the Primesense sensors (although it will be easier to reduce that cost with time). They also added some dedicated hardware in the console itself to process the depth data and voice commands, maybe they're included in the price...

iMax

X1 would be much less without the Kinect?

Take in out then and give us a cheaper option then for fucks sake.

He alluded on the thread that the Kinect is deeply integrated with the core of the system. Especially at this point, with titles currently in development, it's probably impossible to remove.

hawk2025

No no, the family plan was an announced feature for launch. Only **after** the 180 did they say that it would not be available, but they would consider it for after launch.

Again, not quite a demo -- but a full game trial, like PS+ has. It is technically the full, complete game -- only it has a time limit.

Why were they not screaming from the rooftops about the feature, then? Why not announce at the press conference? Why did Major Nelson bring it up at the Reddit interview, only to then give the pathetic "It's aweeesooome!!" answer instead of actual details?

JABEE

Yea, and there were benefits. Benefits that we no longer have. I don't care what anyone says.
Could you link to any demonstrations of those benefits or concrete promises?

Were these benefits only available as a counter-measure to shitty DRM requirements? Shouldn't losing these benefits because Microsoft could no longer control how consumers use their software be an indictment of Microsoft's intentions. The hazy "family plan" appeared to be an attempt to make up for the loss in value that Microsoft software requirements instituted.

The family plan answer is the number one reason why i don't think this AMA is truly "unofficial" at all. Most of the answers are pleasant enough, though totally not risky, and there isn't anything that sheds any unfavorable light on microsoft at all through the process. this is pretty unusual- even the best employee has SOME constructive criticism for his boss.

the family plan answer specifically says nothing about one of their most controversial features other than the party line. "it was full games, we promise." but nothing else relevant.

I like the AMA, it's a much better PR effort than what's come before ("we have an offline console. it's called the Xbox360." "specs don't matter." etc) but still is very much the company lines in different packaging.

Why would MS still be spinning the DRM stuff? I mean, the battle is pretty much over and most people don't care anymore.

On the other hand the spec stuff people still care about.

epmode

Ha also said he wouldn't break any NDA.
At the moment, I don't think there are many reasons to believe in the 1-hour restriction. We only got a single, shady "source"

A source who's been right about practically everything he's posted since appearing on GAF. He's easily as legitimate as this Reddit guy.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I do believe it was a feature pre DRM Reversal. Damn man, I really wanted that to be the case. I should state that i was all for the DRM stuff, but now i'm bummed.

Maybe its just dependent on your life style. My internet has gone out for more then 24 hours probably once in the past 9 or so years. And i like owning physical copies.

Alx

A source who's been right about practically everything he's posted since appearing on GAF. He's easily as legitimate as this Reddit guy.

The only source I know is a pastebin message. Has it been confirmed by someone on Gaf ?

Massa

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I do believe it was a feature pre DRM Reversal. Damn man, I really wanted that to be the case. I should state that i was all for the DRM stuff, but now i'm bummed.

Maybe its just dependent on your life style. My internet has gone out for more then 24 hours probably once in the past 9 or so years. And i like owning physical copies.

So you like owning physical copies but you're bummed that you'll actually have to use them?

Omni

And now I'm left wondering what could have been if they focused on building a powerful system like Sony instead of including Kinext.

hawk2025

I understand that you are in that tiny sliver of people that actually would concretely benefit from the previous setup (don't mind the DRM, want to have a physical copy but don't want to actually use the disc while playing), but the truth is that the people that wanted the opposite are a much, MUCH bigger chunk of the market, and MS's research and pre-order numbers probably showed that :(

But still, I understand that it's kind of a bummer if you were really looking forward to that.

Holy shit at Kinect being so expensive. Looks like we probably won't see a Kinectless XB1 soon.
Final confirmation that PS4 is indeed more powerful, we can close this chapter now thank you.

I wish Sony would comment on the noise level of the PS4.
All you are going to get at this point is this: http://tinyurl.com/kcc9zj6

Yoshida expects the sound/noise levels to be very good on the PS4.

Why would MS still be spinning the DRM stuff? I mean, the battle is pretty much over and most people don't care anymore.

simple. Right now their biggest problem isn't the PS4, or the launch price, it's that core gamers who were paying attention in venues like Reddit, NeoGAF, or similar forums perceive microsoft as having tried to force some extremely noxious policies on gamers, while Sony is some kind of champion of consumer rights and used games for all.

Right now the PS4 is currently preferred something like 80-20 among the core among any poll you choose to look at, and this is why. Specs matter, games matter, but coming off as "Fuck you, pay me" overrides all of that. No one cheers for a bully.

Getting those potential customers back starts with spinning DRM as not a soulless, cynical money grab in which microsoft assumed we were all thieves, but instead a friendly policy that would have allowed us to share games among ourselves without restrictions! who doesn't love that? and it was full games, we promise! but you'll never see it because you didn't give us a chance to explain it!

p3tran

Banned
Yada yada yada yada yada yada...

Time to remove kinect from the console
There's no way microsoft is sweet-talking its way out.

Doesn't really matter WHO thought kinect is the best thing since sliced bread.
People do mistakes.
The console breaking a tradition and not being the most powerful console is enough of a reminder for those mistakes.
It doesn't have to be burried alive.
Microsoft, I'm talking to you.

Last MS exec interview they basically said that it was their fault on not properly messaging the benefits of DRM and then talking about all the people who liked those benefits.

Is pretty clear that the DRM reversal is just a strategic retreat, they clearly want them back.

For some reason this made me more hyped for Kinect One.

I like how he mentioned that the console was designed to have Kinect ubiquitous to the platform. That developers have this assurance means we should finally be seeing some more interesting use of the device.

Raide

And now I'm left wondering what could have been if they focused on building a powerful system like Sony instead of including Kinext.

Probably ended up with 2 pretty much identical machines with no defining features other than 1st party titles. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing in the long run.

onQ123

Yeah Time of Flight cameras cost a lot & Kinect 2 also has the IR camera , 1080P RGB camera & Mic Array.

kinect-2.0.png

kinect-2-specs.png

still sucks that it will only be 30FPS.

JABEE

simple. Right now their biggest problem isn't the PS4, or the launch price, it's that core gamers who were paying attention in venues like Reddit, NeoGAF, or similar forums perceive microsoft as having tried to force some extremely noxious policies on gamers.

Right now the PS4 is currently preferred something like 80-20 among the core among any poll you choose to look at, and this is why.

Getting those potential customers back starts with spinning DRM as not a soulless, cynical money grab in which microsoft assumed we were all thieves, but instead a friendly policy that would have allowed us to share games among ourselves without restrictions! who doesn't love that? and it was full games, we promise! but you'll never see it because you didn't give us a chance to explain it!
The account on Reddit also mentioned that the reason he is posting an AMA is to remind people that the people that work at Microsoft are human and that they aren't all evil.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If he is one guy in a team of 1000 (don't buy that) working on the OS, why would he have information on the cost of producing both the APU and the kinect sensor?

I'm glad they reversed the DRM but I am scared to support a company that implemented it in the first place. If MS goes on to get 70% of the market share, they will have the power to implement those policies next gen imo. If MS gets pummeled next gen, they won't even attempt DRM with the Bones successor.

I remember the days I use to be so hyped for Microsoft's consoles, seems like a lifetime ago.

Alx

We would get two identical consoles with identical features and identical games and it would be boring. :p

casmith07

I like how he mentioned that the console was designed to have Kinect ubiquitous to the platform. That developers have this assurance means we should finally be seeing some more interesting use of the device.

I see it being like the 3D slider on the 3DS. Most people would prefer it just set to off.

The account on Reddit also mentioned that the reason he is posting an AMA is to remind people that the people that work at Microsoft are human and that they aren't all evil.

yep. This is why that AMA is there. It does a good job, but I'm not convinced at all that it isn't officially sanctioned in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom