• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit AMA with Xbox One dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroStu

Banned
You do realize a lot of the OS is built around the camera right? If they remove it then they have to make a lot of modifications to OS functionality. It's not that simple. Had they designed the OS with the camera as optional then I would agree with your sentiments. Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen at launch? Probably not.

Does that mean you HAVE to use Kinect on the os or will you be ables to just use the controller like with the 360?

Does that mean you HAVE to use Kinect on the os or will you be ables to just use the controller like with the 360?

for the OS it's optional, though kinect voice commands may be the "ideal" way to navigate- a controller may be cumbersome and really only ideal as a backup solution.

The actual problem is the games in development, which are ALL assuming kinect is mandatory, and may have functionality that will not work without it. If microsoft flips on this it puts developers in a VERY bad spot, release targets will be missed, and MS will most certainly be sued for breach of contract. edit: imagine the fallout if the PS3 just "removed blu-ray" or made it optional 4 months before launch. it would be a clusterfuck.

no kinect isn't happening.

Yea, and there were benefits. Benefits that we no longer have. I don't care what anyone says.

This was bs when it first came up, and it's still bs now. It was full games with no time limit.

SenjutsuSage gonna SenjutsuSage.

If you think publishers were going to sit back and let people share all their games FOR FREE, you're an idiot. Stop dreaming and join the real world.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Now we get to see this daily reputation management BS. Guy works at MS gets all kinds of perks but wants to go rogue on message board and tow company lines.

Like saying the PS4 is more powerful?

I2amza

Whichever you prefer, or both even.

Don't think you can do snapping with a controller, and I am sure there are other things that a Kinect is required in order to accomplish.

Also multi tasking would be difficult too with a controller if you have tons of apps running. Very un-intuitive.

Silex

Source?

But does my question about gameplay make sense? I honestly don't know.

Edit: Woops, sorry for the double post, I thought I had posted the previous one in a different thread.

This lag is nowhere near enough for you to notice any delays. It won't have any effect on 60fps games.

RetroStu

Banned
for the OS it's optional, though kinect voice commands may be the "ideal" way to navigate- a controller may be cumbersome and really only ideal as a backup solution.

Its more a personal thing, i just don't want to talk to the xbox to move around the os, its just not me lol.

Like saying the PS4 is more powerful?

At this point that's just stating the obvious, like the sky is blue or the sun rises in the west.

The messaging on this since sony's reveal has been simply to obfuscate (specs? what specs?) deny that specifications matter, or in this case, saying that it's stronger, but "how much" isn't really known.

this is right in line with what MS has been saying for weeks.

Sony has NEVER had a loud console.

i very well may be the biggest sony cheerleader on this board, but even I admit my BC-era 80 gig sounds like a goddamn jet plane and always has.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
One of the most interesting parts for me was him talking about having his PC going through the HDMI in so he was watching Netfix on the PC while chatting on Skype via the Kinect/XB1. I like that kind of integration.

£10 says this is a troll. Even an insider would not admit the PS4 would be more powerful. I see this troll is also peddling the "game sharing was full games" lies.

The actual problem is the games in development, which are ALL assuming kinect is mandatory, and may have functionality that will not work without it. If microsoft flips on this it puts developers in a VERY bad spot, release targets will be missed, and MS will most certainly be sued for breach of contract. edit: imagine the fallout if the PS3 just "removed blu-ray" or made it optional 4 months before launch. it would be a clusterfuck.

no kinect isn't happening.

What makes those developers think just because its in each box that people will buy the software? The people will just still not buy it even if they have to deal with the camera plugged.

Nevasleep

Just the fact that this guy used the word "benefit" to describe DRM nullifies any point he was trying to make.

Holy sweet heavenly fuck MS has gone bananas.
There were benefits though, such as physical games being diskless.

Although I'd rather have the freedom for now.

At this point that's just stating the obvious, like the sky is blue or the sun rises in the west.

The messaging on this since sony's reveal has been simply to obfuscate (specs? what specs?) deny that specifications matter, or in this case, saying that it's stronger, but "how much" isn't really known.

this is right in line with what MS has been saying for weeks.

i very well may be the biggest sony cheerleader on this board, but even I admit my BC-era 80 gig sounds like a goddamn jet plane and always has.

please link to a direct statement by MS explicitly stating that the PS4 has better specs.

I am really hoping that MS is holding onto Kinect for reasons of great gameplay they cant show off yet.

and not just OS navigation.....

onQ123

This lag is nowhere near enough for you to notice any delays. It won't have any effect on 60fps games.

When it come to smooth controls you would want the input device to be tracking faster than what it's controlling so that it could be buffered & smoothed. you wouldn't want to control a 60FPS game with a 30FPS input device, you would rather have a 120FPS input device controlling a 60FPS game or a 60FPS device controlling a 30FPS game.

What makes those developers think just because its in each box that people will buy the software? The people will just still not buy it even if they have to deal with the camera plugged.

not the point.

Microsoft has guaranteed that kinect will be there, meaning that developers are designing their titles with the assumption that 100% of the Xbox userbase will be able to take advantage of kinect functionality.

If this drops to 30% (which is on the high end for optional accessories), that means that their sales targets based on information microsoft gave them are now wildly off base. That's definitely something microsoft can be sued over.

If 100% of the userbase CAN play the game out of the box but simply chooses not to because the game sucks, then that's a developer problem. totally different issue.

please link to a direct statement by MS explicitly stating that the PS4 has better specs.

sure. there was a microsoft employee on GAF here taking questions.

I do want to remind people – this interview was done six weeks ago, before E3. It’s not like we just decided to talk about it. So it wasn't that I just decided to call up OXM and give the my opinion :)

I would like to pose this question to the audience. There are several months until the consoles launch, and any student of the industry will remember, specs change.

Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?

I believe the debate on this could give some light to why we don’t want to engage in a specification debate until both boxes are final and shipping.

Penello is Sr Director of Product Management and Planning at Microsoft. The implication in his statement was pretty clear. The PS4 has better specs on paper, and higher theoretical performance.

VanWinkle

I am really hoping that MS is holding onto Kinect for reasons of great gameplay they cant show off yet.

and not just OS navigation.....

The thing is, there's just SO many people who do not want to use the thing, so I think they're going to have to end up making most things optional or maybe additive. I don't know if we'll really see the potential of it. For instance, Ryse has those voice commands, and the dev mentioned how those voice commands can all be mimicked on the controller.

Jack_AG

Banned
Maybe its just dependent on your life style. My internet has gone out for more then 24 hours probably once in the past 9 or so years. And i like owning physical copies.
Your internet isn't the problem. Its MS's authentication servers. At any point in time they can pull the plug and lose your purchase.

Halvie

Banned
"Can't comment on the rumor.
The facts are on paper, the PS4 has better specs and the most you can debate is by how much.
What I can tell you is I have played Forza, Killer instinct, and Ryse on the Xbox One. They look as good as the games I play on a high end PC. Ryse reminded me of darksiders II."

"The majority of the masses care only about the console, except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make."

"As I mentioned earlier, I don't know what price point the Xbox One would be at without the Kinect, but it would be much less than 399.

I see it not as a market that no longer exists, but one that haven't been explored due to technological limitations."

making me want to cancel my preorder again

Is this legit? Somehow I can't believe this is real. The mods on reddit also denied astroturfing. I don't believe anything from that site anymore.

RetroStu

Banned
Is this legit? Somehow I can't believe this is real. The mods on reddit also denied astroturfing. I don't believe anything from that site anymore.

I can't imagine a Microsoft employee would admit that PS4 is more powerful even if they think everyone thinks it anyway, plus he doesn't actually say anything that anyone on here probably doesn't already know or things people have already speculated about anyway.

Halvie

Banned
Because better specs mean better gameplay. You really think they will max out the spec in the first few years? They really don't mean much till much later down the line.

well if something I would rather toss in the garbage than hook up is more of a priority than the console itself, yes.

Black-Box

No, I am hoping for a game MS has under wraps that uses Kinects motion capture extremely well.

Maybe Kinect is just that much better...?

One can only hope..

Dance central really uses the Kinect well. It should be the flagship Kinect title. I know it is just a dance game but the moves are not slow or like other Kinect games. They can get really fast and kind of complex if you don't know what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom