• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit AMA with Xbox One dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
Why would anyone even believe that this is legit? Typical reddit bs as usual. The guy has said NOTHING that could not be taken from infos available online.

RdN

I like that he says that he heard about including a headset with the console.

Not including one is currently what I consider one of the biggest mistakes MS is making.

How is it an insult, he actually played the bloody game to be able to make a comparison while you only see like a 5 min gameplay video

because this is darksiders 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sBoQoT4I0

how on earth could they be possibly be alike?

This is what Ryse looks like, Combat wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTA3Q0UBhk

As I said in a previous thread, the biggest irony is the guy who designed Darksiders 2's combat system currently works for crytek

I find it hard to believe that Kinect 2.0 almost costs as much as the console itself.

that does sound a bit questionable. kinect 1 was sold for $150 or so. $200-$250 for kinect 2 seems to be a little suspect.

maybe he's counting R&D? and not the actual build cost? most of the components of the Xbone were adapted from tech AMD already had.

Have to admit this was the best PR for Xbone I've read yet, kudos to the guy. That said I laughed at the title announcement, just imagining Mattrick back stage with a "I got this" speech. Also Kinect costing more than the console? Wtf.

Takuya

Banned
B3D finally going to implode since this dev admitted Xbone is a weaker platform?

Also CBOAT > this dude for Family Plan BS.

inm8num2

That entire AMA.

ngbbs408289adc9438.jpg

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
"The majority of the masses care only about the console, except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make."

"As I mentioned earlier, I don't know what price point the Xbox One would be at without the Kinect, but it would be much less than 399."

And that's why I won't be buying an XBone.

Perkel

Banned
Yup. Everything I'm hearing from MS post-180 tells me they're itching to take another stab at their draconian DRM scheme, except next time it will be packaged in much nicer sounding PR.

This is why they did not say much about it in first place. Because there is no benefit of DRM. All they could do was to hide it and believe people will not notice things.

Problem is after SimCity and Diablo 3 DRM is like no go for many people.

Frankly by doing 180 they saved their asses because there was no DRM yet that worked well at 1st day on such scale.

Sean*O

I wish MS would get it through their heads that all of the negative backlash they have received is actually helping them, though they don't seem to want to accept that.

At this point, with this mysterious online petition that somehow has thousands of signatures asking to bring back DRM, the daily talking points from employees both hiding their identities and revealing themselves in plain sight, telling people "they just didn't get the right message" and trying to convince everyone that "people want this" and "this was going to be great" even though they can't say what "this" is or how it would have workd a mere 4 months out from launch...

So bring it back I say, MS. Go ahead and ignore what everyone has been shouting at you and get back to your original plan. If it's so important to them to have a 24-7 connected userbase that's always being monitored, then hey, do it. They should quit talking about it and just do it. We all know what will happen but they just don't seem to understand without actually going through it. If they had any understanding whatsoever they wouldn't have even designed the Exec's box the way they did, much less announced it to the world and expect them to be willing recipients.

They are like a bunch of spoiled children trying to make up reasons why and arguing why they should have everything they want, and it's making it appear like there are a bunch of very entitled people who make up that company.

I don't buy it.

Also just the fricking NDA comment, right off the bat.

"So ask me almost anything. If I don't reply, it most likely means to fully answer you I'll have to break NDA."

Well... If you won't be breaking any NDA's why would you like to be anonymous on Reddit? It sounds pretty far fetched, and I trust developers to go to better more reputable places that Reddit, to leak, or rag on their employer.

Nibiru

Banned
How many people in that AMA work for MS? I have read some hilarious set em up knock em down questions that no one that wasn't affiliated with MS would ask. They are phrased perfectly to prompt a perfect pr response.

I would see this on Blizzard forums all the time. Some random guy would asks if something was being implemented, something that I had never heard anyone ever ask about and a CM would pop in and say "actually it will be in the next patch!" It is great for creating the illusion that they listen to the players.

I love how MS employees talk up the family plan, but yet refuse to provide any details about it.

I can't help but side with CBOAT on that.

yep. CBOAT has a VERY high accuracy rate with his leaks. There was definitely some kind of time limit in place for that sharing plan, and microsoft's reluctance to say anything besides "it's awesome!" when pressed speaks volumes.

and on a related note- we know (ok, maybe not "know") CBOAT works in some capacity close to MS. He's paranoid enough about being quoted, used as a source, or tracked down that he resorts to completely ludicrous "speech" patterns to keep his words from being traced back to him.

yet this guy makes an AMA on reddit assuming a "throwaway" name is good enough and "I hope major nelson doesn't see"?

abadguy

Banned
So he's legit when he says something negative about the X1 and talking BS when he says something positive. Got it.

Pretty much. Honestly i see no difference with this so called "interview" or whatever and the crap that gets posted on Pastebin. People will believe what suits their agendas though...

Silex

When it come to smooth controls you would want the input device to be tracking faster than what it's controlling so that it could be buffered & smoothed. you wouldn't want to control a 60FPS game with a 30FPS input device, you would rather have a 120FPS input device controlling a 60FPS game or a 60FPS device controlling a 30FPS game.

Even with a controller, it'll be barely noticed (if at all, not sure).
Here we are talking about motion control however. This delay won't affect a single game, since motion controls won't be used for such precise and small movements that can happen in a friction of a second.

They basically developed their own sensor for Kinect 2. Complete self-developed silicone.

doesn't matter. MS is using the exact same architecture Sony is- sans the ESRAM used to compensate for the speed of DDR3, which means it costs at least as much if not MORE to manufacture than the PS4 does.

There's simply not enough difference between the two for MS to be significantly below $399, given that Sony is using a similar though simpler design. it's bull.

malfcn

I am cooking right now and have to watch the stove. Did someone ask the OS size or available RAM pool?
And I thought AMA required proof? It looks like it may have been satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom