• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit AMA with Xbox One dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesido

Did they announce what they are doing with digital? Last I had heard they have not released information on what they are doing with digital downloads.

They did mention the offline playability included digital downloads, and they didn't say the family sharing plan was removed specific to discs.

It would actually be easier for them to implement because there are no used sales, but it would be harder to convince the developers because they would not make any $ off of used game sales, so why should they agree to it?

Yes, why would they agree to it? My theory is that, they didn't have to agree with such a plan anyway, as the plan was not what they are trying to make it look like. The plan wasn't implementable, that's why they also "removed" it from digital downloads. My theory was and still is, that this plan never existed in the form that it actually didn't :D

Yeah and i was one of them if you check my post history. I just wish we could talk about games now after they backtracked on drm. I spend a lot of time in the Killer Instinct threads and its great just to see people excited and enthusiastic for a change if you know what i mean, thats what i joined this forum for.
You can, but this is a thread about a 'Reddit AMA with Xbox One dev'. As the title suggests.

There's going to be a lot of discussion about the consoles and other industry stuff coming up as we get closer to launch, and its not always going to be pretty. If you want to stay out of it that's pretty easy to do.

Yeah and i was one of them if you check my post history. I just wish we could talk about games now after they backtracked on drm. I spend a lot of time in the Killer Instinct threads and its great just to see people excited and enthusiastic for a change if you know what i mean, thats what i joined this forum for.
I've been in the Killer Instinct thread, even commented about how I thought it looked awesome, and I agree that Xbox One game threads should be devoid of the general xbox hate but you can't expect people in this thread to allow people to post lies.

If people post bullshit then they're going to get call out for it.

Cboat confirmed it though

m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=65154131
CBOAT has been wrong before, Arron Greenburg, Major Nelson, and this Developer have confirmed it wasn't a one hour demo, and the One Hour demo itself does not fit the description Microsoft gave on Family Sharing.

AND Microsoft already said that Family Sharing might return, the odds are stacked in favor of it NOT being a One Hour demo, I'm beliving Family Sharing was between 10 people, 2 at max. The proof all leads to that conclusion.

The problem is reversing the DRM doesn't change the fact that they tried to fuck you only a few weeks ago and only changed their policy because their console was preordering like shit compared to the PS4.

Its no surprise people are so against the Xbox One and are very wary of Microsoft's actions at this point. If a political party announces some policy to fuck workers by giving power to the employer then does a 180 because everyone hates it, do you automatically forgive and forget? No you don't because you know that they planned and are very willing to implement these changes.

PR bullshit or not, guy puts in 60 hours a week. you really think he was going to start shitting on the project he's been pouring huge amounts of time and effort in? or the company that's paying his bills?

why not? there have been other AMAs, or people speaking off the record that are a lot more critical. If you're confident that it can't be traced back to you, what's the harm?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
CBOAT has been wrong before, Arron Greenburg, Major Nelson, and this Developer have confirmed it wasn't a one hour demo, and the One Hour demo itself does not fit the description Microsoft gave on Family Sharing.

It's easy to say anything about a feature when you're no longer obligated to deliver it.

Alienous

Surprised to see anyone aligned with Microsoft just state PS4 has better specs, even if it's obvious

This is what happens when people in the gaming industry don't pretend to be politicians.

If you admit your loses along with your strengths, people can appreciate the system much more. "Yeah, we aren't as powerful as the PS4, but we think we've reached a solid level, tons of RAM for developers, DX11, and Kinect. We'll have a different experience, but comparable."

Lol at the kinect cost (in no way it's something like 200-300$)

Here's what UBM TechInsights estimated for Kinect 1.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1257872

And that was 3 years before the XBox One launch.

there's no way the BOM is anywhere close to the XboxONE. but we don't know what MS spent on R&D for it. R&D for the One is probably pretty low, since they were using pre-existing designs from AMD, rather than something designed from the ground up.

d0min0

Neo Member
Yes, why would they agree to it? My theory is that, they didn't have to agree with such a plan anyway, as the plan was not what they are trying to make it look like. The plan wasn't implementable, that's why they also "removed" it from digital downloads. My theory was and still is, that this plan never existed in the form that it actually didn't :D

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, I didn't think anything for digital was announced before the 180. when they announced the family plan and said it was specific to discs I assumed that it was never intended for digital downloads.

RetroStu

Banned
The problem is reversing the DRM doesn't change the fact that they tried to fuck you only a few weeks ago and only changed their policy because their console was preordering like shit compared to the PS4.

Its no surprise people are so against the Xbox One and are very wary of Microsoft's actions at this point. If a political party announces some policy to fuck workers by giving power to the employer then does a 180 because everyone hates it, do you automatically forgive and forget? No you don't because you know that they planned and are very willing to implement these changes.

Yep i do get that but i'd rather look at it like they told us their policies, gamers didn't want those policies so they listened and changed them, i know theres probably only a small amount of truth in that but its a 'positive' way of looking at it you know?.
Its just going to be such an exciting time for us gamers in the coming months and it will be a shame if there is constant negativity around.

EDIT: Having said that, people can moan as much as they want about Kinect, i'm right there with you! he he.

AND Microsoft already said that Family Sharing might return, the odds are stacked in favor of it NOT being a One Hour demo, I'm beliving Family Sharing was between 10 people, 2 at max. The proof all leads to that conclusion.

What proofs besides PR talk? They just said "full games", trials are full games. They never said you would be able to play a game to start to finish. Only when DRM was discarded they said it was not time limited. Maybe it wasn't time limited, maybe you would be allowed to play until you reached certain point...so hey, is not time limited!!

The continuous ambiguous messaging from PR people indicates that consumers and posters here were just wishful thinking the best case scenarios (10 free games!) and MS was interested to not wake up people to the reality.

Why they never showed in full detail how it worked? Why they didn't published a video showcasing such an amazing feature if it worked like you people keep thinking? Why publishers would agree to such thing just to stop second hand sales?

Adding to these questions we had leaks from trusted sources that it was time limited. People should just accept the reality, DRM or not it never existed, it wasn't logical seeing how the industry worked from the las 20 years and it never made any sense that a company were so adamant to destroy physical copies and second hand market to improve benefits and start giving away 10 free games.

Croyles

yep. CBOAT has a VERY high accuracy rate with his leaks. There was definitely some kind of time limit in place for that sharing plan, and microsoft's reluctance to say anything besides "it's awesome!" when pressed speaks volumes.

and on a related note- we know (ok, maybe not "know") CBOAT works in some capacity close to MS. He's paranoid enough about being quoted, used as a source, or tracked down that he resorts to completely ludicrous "speech" patterns to keep his words from being traced back to him.

yet this guy makes an AMA on reddit assuming a "throwaway" name is good enough and "I hope major nelson doesn't see"?

Absolute top comment there.

Tobor

The DRM was always only part of the problem.

Kinect is still required and unnecessarily driving up the cost.

Takuya

Banned
So he's legit when he says something negative about the X1 and talking BS when he says something positive. Got it.

Your comment is laughable.

The specs have been known before the reveals, this is the first time they admit it (they've been lying from the getgo on almost everything), and they're continuing to lie about the family plan to save face.

There is very little he has been wrong about. These others are microsoft execs, employees and pr people who have obsfucated and lied their way through this whole debacle. Why should I believe anything they say after they already scrapped it? They can say anything they want.

You can believe what you want, its hard to take you seriously after all of the damage control you've been doing defending online drm since the adam orth incident, which was before the family share plan was even mentioned.

maeh2k

Here's what UBM TechInsights estimated for Kinect 1.

That's not a good indicator for the cost of the new Kinect. Kinect 1 was built to be cheap. they used a completely different technology and reportedly removed a chip to save costs. The new Kinect uses the time-of-flight approach and special hardware (I believe at least the audio chip is built with Kinect in mind).

tafer

These people are forever trying to sell us the bullshit that they wanted to destroy renting, implement a horrific limited proprietary used game system for sales - partially so devs/publishers could get a cut - and then they genuinely believe anyone is going to be fooled by some ridiculously absurd and easy-to-abuse system in which you can essentially turn one sale split ten ways? Even if it was only one other person on a game at a time, the ability to simply be logistical about the schedule was painfully simple.

These motherfuckers are stupid as shit if they think anyone will fall for this

Never, ever, underestimate human stupidity.

Ok, seriously, their massive "failure" to explain it properly could be attributed to their incredibly incompetence or that it wasn't that great to begin with.

Under normal circumstances, the first one is really, really hard to believe, but plausible under the massive disaster that this console revelation was. On the other hand, the second one seems far more simple and believable. Specially, considering MS's behavior during the time. I mean, it's easy to see MS wanting to keep the final terms as ambiguous as possible since the speculation would help the X1 far more than having the potentially "meh" feature fully exposed.

SPECULATION: I don't think the details on this one were done. MS was sort of forced into revealing it prematurely when the E3 backlash was wildly getting out of control. sort of a "wait, the Xboxone isn't ALL bad, we have THIS" sort of move. but when pressed, MS refused to say anything at all about it beyond the vaguest, rosiest possible implementation of it.

I mentioned this one before, it might have been missed. MS had negotiated (or was in the process of negotiating) their game sharing program based on the assumption of 24 hour check ins and always on functionality. Once that was blown up, the entire thing would have had to have been renegotiated, and these things take time. I don't doubt it's coming, but devs are going to want a new deal that's more lucrative for them.

This is another possibility. Interesting enough, I wouldn't be surprised if the 180 thingy was cemented when several key publishers refused to participate on it.

First of all, a 10 person full game sharing plan where 2 can play at the same time is infinitely worse for publishers compared to second hand games and lending games. It is too good to be true, and I can't think for a second the publishers would be fine with it.

And if this is SO good, MS FUBAR'ed their presentation. They could have made a 2 minute preview of this in their E3 where you shared your digital game. It would be better than demoing skype, don't you think?

The fact that this superb digital sharing plan was not underlined at the reveal, or at E3 while MS was under so much fire for the DRM, either means MS is run by complete idiots, or this family sharing was not all that fancy thing to begin with. I believe in the latter.

They just had to remove DRM, and to save their image, the family sharing plan was made out to be the best thing digital game distribution has ever seen, They had to claim that their DRM also brought something good.

If their intentions were so superb, they could have kept it for digital downloads. And they could have followed a hybrid approach, where family sharing would only be active for the next 24 hours a user logs in, otherwise the digital game would only be playable at the "master" console, where the master console could be deemed offline. The sharing would be allowed for connected devices, devices which logged in during the last 24 hours (or even, 1 hour). (It's not complicated at all to implement, just letting the master console play the game after 24 hours of being offline, and keep EVERYTHING else the same, the system mentioned here is implemented)

Fuck, someone beat me... and in a waaaay better way.

DAMN YOU hesido!

RetroStu

Banned
The DRM was always only part of the problem.

Kinect is still required and unnecessarily driving up the cost.

Yeah i agree fully, its almost a deal breaker for me to be honest, i simply don't agree with having it forced on us. I don't think Microsoft helped themselves by having it a seperate device that plugs in, if it was built into the system then people would just have to accept it.

Vestal

Gold Member
They did mention the offline playability included digital downloads, and they didn't say the family sharing plan was removed specific to discs.

this remains to be seen. I can see why it was removed due to what happened since they have to re-engineer how the Xbone deals with games on an OS level.

let me explain, originally all games would be treated as 1 type since physical games were just there to install the game. So they never really had to deal with maintaining two separate environments for games within the OS. With the change that occurred you now have to go back and rewrite how you classify and handle games from an OS level.

Add to that, that now you have to re-convince publishers to pull the trigger on digital sharing and you need more time than
what's left before launch to implement it.

You think the dev's weren't getting anything out of the new DRM? You remember all the mess about selling a game to an "official" retailer so basically it could be re-licensed and resoled as used? Rumor is the devs would have gotten a taste of that.
So the family plan could have broken down as:
- 11 people could play off a single license, but only 2 at a time max (original purchaser and one other off his family list of ten people), so if 2 are playing the others have to wait.
- If the Original Purchaser sold the game (or didn't check in within 24 hrs) no one could play it. (keep your X1 on!)
- If the game is resold the dev gets a few more $ (cost of used games probably goes up)
- Piracy on this kind of DRM is significantly lower so less loss on Piracy in the first place.

This would have been a benefit to MS, the Devs, and the people on the purchasers family list.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure that it would have been the full game with unlimited play, but I see the benefits for everyone in this setup.

I'd also like to say I'm buying a PS4 Day 1 because of price (not DRM) and the games speak to me more. All this Built in TV BS on the X1 is not for me, I haven't had cable in 3 years, and I don't really want it.

There is no evidence that this is true. Online-DRM games on PC, like Assassin's Creed, were widely pirated.

hesido

10 people at the same time may not have been as many as people make it out to be. For example, it's not clear if everyone could have selected their own list of people or if everyone would have had to be in one 'family' (as the name implies). If everyone is only in one family 10 people isn't that many. First, you'd have to put people in your household in the family so that they could access the games from their own account. Also, the system wouldn't work well for disjunct circles of friends. E.g. if there are three friends and each of them have one other friend the other two don't share, then you'd already be at 6 people and so far these three other friends would be in a 'family' where they'd only know one person. If someone wants to share games with people in the same household (such as children), they'd immediately give up some spots and those people maybe would also want to add their own friends.
With limitations like that, the sharing would immediately seem a lot more restrictive and plausible.

If a person cannot be listed in different families (which I think would have been the case) it does restrict the amount of people, but even then it still is very exploitable. How will family list be prepared is a mistery, who will have a say in letting someone join, for example. Even then, the thing could be abused really efficiently, for example, a boy would share with her sister only, no need to share it with his dad. He could find 4 friends who share with their siblings only, and form a very viable family of 10 buying different games.

Besides, there's no incentive for them to bring sharing to digital games now. When it was all digital, they were basically forced to implement sharing (and used games) in some form, because they were competing with a system that allowed sharing (and used games). Now, neither the Playstation, nor Steam, nor the Xbox allow the sharing of digital games. So there is no incentive to enable it.

The incentive to keep it digital would be, well, simply pushing digital against the really "bad" old system. Making it vastly more convenient than discs would be good for everyone, if their model was indeed better for both consumers and publishers alike. So there's still incentive as the digital would compete the disc distribution, as digital distribution is where the market can be controlled extensively by publishers and the platform holder alike, unlike the classic disc based DRM.

Yep i do get that but i'd rather look at it like they told us their policies, gamers didn't want those policies so they listened and changed them, i know theres probably only a small amount of truth in that but its a 'positive' way of looking at it you know?.
Its just going to be such an exciting time for us gamers in the coming months and it will be a shame if there is constant negativity around.

EDIT: Having said that, people can moan as much as they want about Kinect, i'm right there with you! he he.

The problem is that thinking like that is almost delusional because there was already significant backlash from leaks, the whole Adam Orth scandal, etc. etc. Microsoft knew that people hated their policies but still trucked along with the whole TV TV TV reveal, then pushed out tonnes of games during E3 so people would change focus, then kept muddling the deck until no one knew what the fuck their policies are/were except that it probably wasn't good for a lot of people.

I don't even know if I can trust their family sharing plans because a lot of it right now smells of "oh sorry, you could have had this but you stupid consumers railed against it". If Micorsoft explained the policy when it wasn't some half baked thing to make the Xbox One not look like shit, then maybe it could be accepted. Or maybe they were teasing it but why would you tease something like that when you're getting hammered by the press?

Looking at it positively is like the old "Remembering Reagan" cartoon. "He supported apartheid but he was always personable and had such charisma!", Granted, video games and politics are completely different in terms of scale but the idea is the same. What is the point at looking at their platform positively when they tried to fuck a large segment of the consumer base and have shown that they weren't listening to anyone but preorders?

hyperbole.

and facts? why aren't you a mod anymore?
A lot of people laugh at this post, but it echoed the general sentiments of a lot of people who were around at the time. Bear in mind that Sony, at the time, were losing a lot of third party exclusives to multiplatform while continually fucking up PR. They did eventually claw back into the lead, but not without doing a lot of work.

What I like about Amirox posts is that he says what a lot of people are usually thinking, but aren't rude enough to actually say. He's blunt and to the point, and it can be frustrating to argue against because he's usually right.

p3tran

Banned
Agreed, the won't sue microsoft if they pull the connect, but guess what will happen: ill will. microsoft looks bad again in a continuing cycle of looking bad.

What if a multiplatform game has a "feature" in it that is kinect specific? The code base at least needs to be reviewed which costs the devs money and time. Money lost is bad for obvious reasons, time lost may mean delays.

The dev isn't going to stop releasing the version for the PS4 though, which means first sales go to Sony. microsoft doesn't get that first taste, and looks even worse in the process. The devs lose trust in their relationship with microsoft the same way the gamers did.

I find the new kinect bundled with the x1 creepy (why do you need to know my heart rate and mood?) I hate reading license agreements to see what info is being sent back to microsoft, but keeping the kinect in at this point is really the best option for microsoft.

I can't understand how it is the better choice for "GAMING" microsoft. I just can't.

Now for "ADVERTIZING" microsoft, sure, I agree 100%, I can see that it would really rock their world if they could pull what they envisioned: your personal ad manager, but for reals! and with 100% foul-proof feedback!

the only problem in this "plan", is that they arbitrary picked up the 70 million number, which correspond to GAMERS, and try to pull this number by force to their newer business activity, which is ad sales and ad consulting.
it wont fly. it just wont.

The only reason ms will try to keep the kinect, has to do with ADS.
As I said before, I believe there is no chance in hell that EA or UBI (or anybody) sue them for removing it.
Then,
We all saw the freakin' best new kinect game they where planning, RYSE.
does even ONE person has the balls to come here and say that a completely kinect-driven ryse would be even worth this discussion for the game-benefits of kinect?
I dont think so..
do you really, but really-really think that what they had in the back of their minds was to make our games more ..awesome with kinect? if yes, then somebody show me where is the awesome?

now, they have a situation like 80-20 against them, they dont offer the best hardware, AND they have a big price difference, that they can eclipse if half rumors about the multi-camera cost are correct.
yet they dont do it, and rumors say that "if they dropped kinect, they would be ..sued". with this, I can only smile.

one plus one equals two. the customer base knows it. time for some ms suits to do the math.

Sushen

"Can't comment on the rumor.
The facts are on paper, the PS4 has better specs and the most you can debate is by how much.
What I can tell you is I have played Forza, Killer instinct, and Ryse on the Xbox One. They look as good as the games I play on a high end PC. Ryse reminded me of darksiders II."

"The majority of the masses care only about the console, except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make."

"As I mentioned earlier, I don't know what price point the Xbox One would be at without the Kinect, but it would be much less than 399.

I see it not as a market that no longer exists, but one that haven't been explored due to technological limitations."
I would guess this guy a fake dev. He sounds too much like trained PR dude; the way he answers and the language. Nice try.

Averon

MS can say whatever the hell they want about the Family Plan now since it will never be released. They've lied and obfuscated since day one; their credibility is shot, so why should I believe them over someone with a ~10 year career leaking info who has a >98% success rate?

Takuya

Banned
Why would you want the game to be "snapped" in the small window?

It's all about multi-tasking*!

* Only works with what we allow.

These MS execs have said a lot in the past.... And a lot of it was BS.

elohel

A lot of people laugh at this post, but it echoed the general sentiments of a lot of people who were around at the time. Bear in mind that Sony, at the time, were losing a lot of third party exclusives to multiplatform while continually fucking up PR. They did eventually claw back into the lead, but not without doing a lot of work.

What I like about Amirox posts is that he says what a lot of people are usually thinking, but aren't rude enough to actually say. He's blunt and to the point, and it can be frustrating to argue against because he's usually right.

really then why is sony still around? lol

that makes him, not right

also, FFXIII blew , so im really not sure what that accomplished anyways so.....pretending that a forward comment is foresight is.....not valid

I really don't see how people are defending a peripheral that isnot necessary for games driving up the price of the system by a vast amount and are willing to quickly forget how hard ms wanted to screw people

d0min0

Neo Member
There is no evidence that this is true. Online-DRM games on PC, like Assassin's Creed, were widely pirated.

You're right I don't have any proof of this; the system is not out yet. (EDIT: should read "the system will not come out, so we won't know") but Assasins creed on the PC is an open system, and I'm assuming the pirating used a cracked executable to tell it not to phone home. In the X1 it's the system phoning home to check your account to make sure you have rights to play it.

I'm not a microsoft employee but I've seen their track record. they went to the "genuine advantage" system with XP and implemented activation of their OS and saw their piracy rates drop because of a (not mandatory) online check-in. I think they would know how to implement this so it works better. Edit: I think the reason they were going to this was for adding a level of security to the DRM, so I think they believed it would be better.

As it stands now, if I were a developer I'd be wary of a platform with a last minute disc based DRM shoehorned in. Fast work isn't always bad work, but it is more likely.

hesido

this remains to be seen. I can see why it was removed due to what happened since they have to re-engineer how the Xbone deals with games on an OS level.

let me explain, originally all games would be treated as 1 type since physical games were just there to install the game. So they never really had to deal with maintaining two separate environments for games within the OS. With the change that occurred you now have to go back and rewrite how you classify and handle games from an OS level.

Add to that, that now you have to re-convince publishers to pull the trigger on digital sharing and you need more time than
what's left before launch to implement it.

While I think it'd be silly to not think of a simple flag beforehand, even simply for support purposes to know whether the game was downloaded or installed from disc, this is quite a rational explanation. But if this is the case, I'm expecting the family share plan come back within a few years. If not, it never happened :)

@d0min0 : MS's system made the dics act like a digital download, so I think the plans were universal. And their plans being universal may indeed explain the removal from digital downloads, but of course it doesn't explaing how publishers were fine with the system, the way I see it.

In any case, I'm at a loss as to how publishers would be fine with this system, I believe it is too good to be true and more damaging than 2nd hand sales.

jond76

Banned
So basically this is : "My insider source is better than your insider source"

Fact is that the "they can say whatever they want about a canceled feature" argument swings both ways.

Everyone saying they have facts because of their anonymous source squeaks something out is fooling themselves. Its hearsay at best.

Facts:

PS4 hardware is more powerful than X1.

X1 requires Kinect.

Both systems operate offline now.

Both have exclusive games.

Prices are PS4: $399; X1: $499

Both have online paywalls.

Almost everything else (I'm sure I missed a few) is fanboy horseshit and speculation.

Croyles

So basically this is : "My insider source is better than your insider source"

Fact is that the "they can say whatever they want about a canceled feature" argument swings both ways.

Everyone saying they have facts because of their anonymous source squeaks something out is fooling themselves. Its hearsay at best.

Facts:

PS4 hardware is more powerful than X1.

X1 requires Kinect.

Both systems operate offline now.

Both have exclusive games.

Prices are PS4: $399; X1: $499

Both have online paywalls.

Almost everything else (I'm sure I missed a few) is fanboy horseshit and speculation.

Fair enough and a good point. I think I need to leave this thread before my headache gets worse.

really then why is sony still around? lol

that makes him, not right

also, FFXIII blew , so im really not sure what that accomplished anyways so.....pretending that a forward comment is foresight is.....not valid
That comment back then was hyperbole, but it echo'd what a lot of people felt; that's all I'm saying.

iMax

The guy dont sound like a os dev talking. He dont use any technical detail and avoided others answers.

The term 'developer' is thrown around pretty loosely, nowadays. He could really be anyone in that team.

Facts are the facts. You can either deal with them or you can complain about the person making them. Either way the facts remain the facts and you'll have to live with it.

Except, they're not facts. Are they? They're conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom