• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

I posted a lot in that other thread where people were bad-mouthing Sean and his buddies. I haven't posted here until now because I've been playing one of the best games of all time. It's called No Man's Sky, if any of you have heard of it?

Anyway, for the life of me, I still don't understand how people can call Sean a liar.
Of all the people I don't know, he is the least likely to lie to me.

This is a man who was so excited about the game he created that he forgot his shoes during that one interview. If you can name one other shoeless developer that didn't tell mis-truths about his game, I'll eat my hat.

And so what if he talked about a game that never existed and then gave us a different game?
That's what all good developers do. This honest, humble man is a hero in the industry. His creativity knows no bounds except for the capabilities of the PS4, I guess.

Careful now. I think sarcasm detectors have been left before this thread.

Has anyone tried to meetup with another player on PC? I discovered a system named by someone else and I'm tempted to try organize a meetup but there would be no point if it's already been tried on PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has anyone tried to meetup with another player on PC? I discovered a system named by someone else and I'm tempted to try organize a meetup but there would be no point if it's already been tried on PC.

I don't think so, but that's simply because the game doesn't transmit your location at any point. There is no multiplayer functionality whatsoever.

nynt9

Baalzebup

And you don't need to do absolutely nothing else to do all those things? You're presenting the game the same as Sean and it's a false image because you're purposely ignoring all the resource grinding without which you can't even fly away from the planet.

The fuck?!? This is talking about the very literal and real possibilities of what you can actually do in the game The survival and gathering elements do not remove the possibility of doing that. Survival/gathering and exploring are not mutually exclusive!

Call Sean a liar on the things that he lied about, but even he mentioned that you need to collect shit to fuel your things and repair stuff and how your upgrades take the same storage space as resources do so you need to balance them. Or do we now assume that such things shouldn't be required or expected since Sean did say they were in the game, and thus, shouldn't be?

A tip of a hat for you, good sir/madam. That got a decent laugh from me.

flkraven

I posted a lot in that other thread where people were bad-mouthing Sean and his buddies. I haven't posted here until now because I've been playing one of the best games of all time. It's called No Man's Sky, if any of you have heard of it?

Anyway, for the life of me, I still don't understand how people can call Sean a liar.

This is a man who was so excited about the game he created that he forgot his shoes during that one interview. If you can name one other shoeless developer that didn't tell mis-truths about his game, I'll eat my hat.

And so what if he talked about a game that never existed and then gave us a different game?
That's what all good developers do. This honest, humble man is a hero in the industry. His creativity knows no bounds except for the capabilities of the PS4, I guess.

The hero this thread needed has arrived.

This isn't about pre-release coverage. They are actively marketing this game with videos and screenshots that aren't representative of what's actually in the game.

The first video in the Steam tray, and arguably the only video many consumers view prior to making the purchase, is the E3 2014 reveal. That reveal sold me on NMS back in 2014. THAT CONTENT ISN'T IN THIS GAME! This isn't some $20 indie project. This is a fucking $60 game.

Marketing with false materials is false advertising. They call that LYING where I come from. This is no different than the Aliens: Colonial Marines bullshit we dealt with 3 years ago. Why Hello Games gets a pass with anyone is beyond me.

The fuck?!? This is talking about the very literal and real possibilities of what you can actually do in the game The survival and gathering elements do not remove the possibility of doing that. Survival/gathering and exploring are not mutually exclusive!

Call Sean a liar on the things that he lied about, but even he mentioned that you need to collect shit to fuel your things and repair stuff and how your upgrades take the same storage space as resources do so you need to balance them. Or do we now assume that such things shouldn't be required or expected since Sean did say they were in the game, and thus, shouldn't be?

A tip of a hat for you, good sir/madam. That got a decent laugh from me.

Sean is on video stating that you wouldn't have to gather resources if you didn't want to. He's a fucking liar.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Are you forgetting the context of this discussion? You called it a space exploration game at its core. This is what I'm talking about. And you have chosen to ignore all together the point about gathering resources in your first reply, so I had to point it out to you.

Survival/gathering and exploring are not mutual exclusive, but exploring is depending very much on survival/gathering, isn't it?

Depending on the time split between exploring and gathering resources, I would say that gathering resources might be more the core of the game than exploring. (at least for the first 20-30-40 hours).

Depending on the time split between exploring and gathering resources, I would say that gathering resources might be more the core of the game than exploring. (at least for the first 20-30-40 hours).

This guy/gal gets it. NMS, as it sits currently, is a resource gathering/inventory management simulator first and foremost. Exploration is seemingly secondary. (ignoring same-planet exploration necessary for more resource gathering and inventory smiting)

Are you forgetting the context of this discussion? You called it a space exploration game at its core. This is what I'm talking about. And you have chosen to ignore all together the point about gathering resources in your first reply, so I had to point it out to you.

Survival/gathering and exploring are not mutual exclusive, but exploring is depending very much on survival/gathering, isn't it?

You can gather resources without exploring. You can't explore without gathering resources. It's a survival sim.

It's not about the range of scores. It's about the depth of the analysis. None of the reviews have highlighted the deficiencies of the game in a manner as exhaustive as this Reddit post.
Of course. The Reddit post isn't a review. You review the product you got in your hands and give that a score. You might mention it didn't live up to promises. But going in-depth about what is missing is not a good fit for a review, but a separate article. I guess those are missing a bit.

Baalzebup

I forget nothing. Exploration is the meat of the game, fuelled by the gathering. I could easily do all that and visit two more planets beside before I would need to think about mining more elements. Which would likely take all of 5-10 minutes, including the gathering of the pulse drive fuel from the orbit. If I didn't have a few reserve stacks of the shit prepared in my inventories. I hear wild rumors that people who do explore shit do some prep-work for it, such as preparing food and other supplies, various logistic things etc.

Abounder

Banned
Murray lied a lot, and still he wom millions of dollars with the sales.

This world sucks.

I hope people do not preorder games any more. Hope people learned the lesson.

Preorders are here to stay but Murrary/Co. have shat on their reputation. It'll be interesting to see how that affects the legs and their brand going forward. They should've listened to Gabe: don't ever try to lie to the internet

Gator86

The worst thing I've ever read on this board, what a ridiculous game that people are comfortable saying things like this

Some parts of GAF are so anti-consuner it's genuinely stunning. Like, what do these people do in the real world? Are they all sub-prime mortgage lenders or something?

Quite the list. I knew much of the promised features did not make it to the game, but this is a huge amount, even more than I thought.

Hello Games needs to make a statement. But their policy seems to be ignoring negative news.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Without a question, this game is way more a inventory and resource management game than anything else. The time you spend in menus is far from insignificant.

And yeah, not gathering resources if you don't want to is probably the most egregious of the lies.

semiconscious

Gold Member
It's not about the range of scores. It's about the depth of the analysis. None of the reviews have highlighted the deficiencies of the game in a manner as exhaustive as this Reddit post.

truth to tell, one wonders if any game has ever had its multiple deficiencies highlighted in a manner as exhaustive as this :) ...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Some parts of GAF are so anti-consuner it's genuinely stunning. Like, what do these people do in the real world? Are they all sub-prime mortgage lenders or something?

Unfortunately it's why a lot of bad industry practices continue to exist. There's a whole lot of people who really don't care and wonder why anyone else would. In the AAA world at least, publishers know they can make millions off the average person who doesn't seem to mind throwing 60 bucks at a game to punch at it for a few hours before growing bored and moving on.

truth to tell, one wonders if any game has ever had its multiple deficiencies highlighted in a manner as exhaustive as this :) ...

Dark Souls 2 downgrade controversy was pretty big. As with Dark Souls, I think No Man's Sky is within a genre that attracts people who are detail oriented and demanding. Big exploration, world or universe simulation, space genre - there's a history there for games to live up to.

SomTervo

And you don't need to do absolutely nothing else to do all those things? You're presenting the game the same as Sean and it's a false image because you're purposely ignoring all the resource grinding without which you can't even fly away from the planet.

Have you played the game? Thamium and Plutonium are literally the most abundant resources, you can always fly away from planets.

Flying between systems is a bit of a different story but in theory you could just mine Thamium from asteroids and buy everything you need.

Heavy on the sarcasmmmm?

SomTervo

Up until Fable Molyneux had a good track record between his ammount of bs and what was delivered, Bullfrog's output is proof enough of that. Black & White idea of a learning AI was delivered upon.

Nah, Black & White definitely didn't deliver. It was still very stripped down and, while I enjoyed it of course, it was rudimentary in comparison with what's promised.

If you're going to argue for a Molyneux game, Populous is the one to go for. That was great.

SomTervo

Nice. Forrest Dowling's quote was great:

“My reaction to the reddit post was a feeling that in some ways it was a predictable outcome, and that there’s a lesson to be learned there for developers who haven’t had the benefit of learning about PR and marketing from experienced professionals in the field,” Dowling said in an e-mail. “I felt it was worth calling out in that context because those are areas where indies are often less experienced and I felt like it was a good object lesson as to why larger developers are often very controlled with their statements in interviews and press. I also felt really bad for Sean and the Hello Games folks... I can’t imagine how draining seeing that sort of post would be about seeing something you just spent the last 5 years working on.”

Alebrije

Until you've explored all the planets in a few systems. Then you've pretty much seen everything or at least all the variables and will just continue to see different iterations on all other planets you visit. Hell, after exploring one planet you'll likely see just about every type of building you'll likely see in the rest of the entire universe :/

That is a big problem , all these planets and the only motivation to land on a new one (after visiting dozens of them) is just see a different landscape because all the other stuff is the same.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Finally someone else made the comparison between Out There and NMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIW5cLu1uag

I've thought that since I first booted the game. Good video though, but I don't hold all his same sentiments about the game.

..but that NMS wants you to be Out There, but then it doesn't.. I agree with that.

I think the problem is they tried to be Out There to begin with... the push to the center idea is probably a key thing holding it back.

That is a big problem , all these planets and the only motivation to land on a new one (after visiting dozens of them) is just see a different landscape because all the other stuff is the same.

Yup. I dont know why there isn't more uproar about this. Most of the games media is talking about it (GiantBomb's latest podcast/vidcast discusses it in length) but i'm surprised more players aren't going nuts over it.

There really seems to be a super limited "resource box" with which everything is sourced from. Nothing really unique or that makes you say... "whoa". All perfect spherical, complete planets with grasses and the other expected flora and Mr. Potato Head, throw random parts together fauna.

Your first few planets are exciting. Quickly you already know what to expect.

Kinyou

I can’t imagine how draining seeing that sort of post would be about seeing something you just spent the last 5 years working on.”
While it must be hard, isn't that alo something we're completely okay with in every other situation? Zack Snyder also worked hard on Batman v Superman but that never stopped critics or fans of voicing their complaints. Same with literally every other creative.

This appeal to emotions rings a bit hollow.

SomTervo

While it must be hard, isn't that alo something we're completely okay with in every other situation? Zack Snyder also worked hard on Batman v Superman but that never stopped critics or fans of voicing their complaints. Same with literally every other creative.

He's not saying they're right or wrong, or we're right or wrong, for anything here. He's just making an observation. That's the least pertinent bit of the paragraph. Again, just an observation.

patapuf

I don't disagree with the quote itself but i feel the fact that many indies DO evade these communication issues on similarily ambitous games is overlooked in this whole controversy.

The lesson that communication is important if you are small is one the indie community has for the most part already learned. It's one that allowed business models like Early Acess to foster.

But then again, most Indies don't have the advantage of a stage prescence at E3.

That's a good point. Why is it different for other forms stuff? Author promised a great sequel and it sucked? Burn that mother on the cross. New producer destroyed a serial show after he came it to make it better? The internet devours his soul. Everybody is cool with it when it's not game development it seems. ???

SomTervo

This is a good article. Highlights legitimate grievances, puts everything in both perspectives and covers every angle to the issue. Condemns the developer's awkward silence since release while being aware of the realities of development. Isn't unnecessarily defensive of either the game or the devs.

My feelings exactly. Well handled by Ktk.

danowat

Banned
This is a good article. Highlights legitimate grievances, puts everything in both perspectives and covers every angle to the issue. Condemns the developer's awkward silence since release while being aware of the realities of development. Isn't unnecessarily defensive of either the game or the devs.

Yup, it's a great article, it brings balance, hopefully it may open the door for the devs to put some input in on the issue, not holding my breath though.

I've thought that since I first booted the game. Good video though, but I don't hold all his same sentiments about the game.

..but that NMS wants you to be Out There, but then it doesn't.. I agree with that.

I think the problem is they tried to be Out There to begin with... the push to the center idea is probably a key thing holding it back.

It's a very good video, I may not agree with everything he says, but it did make me see things from a different perspective, which is always good.

On the subject of Out There, wonder how the devs of that game feel about NMS?, Out there was released in Feb 2014, NMS wasn't unveild till June 2014.

SomTervo

But then again, most Indies don't have the advantage of a stage prescence at E3.

I think that's the crux of it, unfortunately :/

They're also an unusual indie dev because they put out two games using a pre-earlyaccess/pre-kickstarter launch cycle, and it's obviously very alien to them to be openly communicative, i.e. publishing details, about your game's development (I mean like using blogs, detailing changes and updates to the game, etc.)

Top Bottom