• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't ARM garbage for servers or not really used? Even though this guy was verified, I'm starting to see x86 from amd isn't practical unless they to Zen, which rolls out at the end of the year, or they go Puma+.

CMT seems to be a big mistake for AMD and SMT is coming for Zen.

But I'm back in the camp of ARM, the A72 is a much more mature chip and Nintendo likes mature tech.

oh? http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/server/opteron-a-series

Why wouldn't it be?

If anyone was planning an early console successor designed as a ps4 killer I'd expect it to be Microsoft. Whatever form Nintendo's shared architecture takes I think that it will keep the home form relatively modest.

IIRC the AMD speculation began with the ceo talking about the 3DS showing there's still a handheld market.

Neoxon

april 27: announcement at the investor's meeting, with maybe a short video showing the form factors, the names, controllers, etc.

june 12: epd's mario game revealed at nwc in front of a live crowd before the final round via one hell of a coked-up announcer ala the 1980s classic, the wizard

june 14: nintendo direct about an hour long of just the nx and its games

june 14-16: three days of treehouse live showcasing the hardware features live on stage with new games, plus some wii u and 3ds games.
My Take

• Late April/Early May: NX Platform reveal event. Goes into detail on what the device(s) can do as well as detail a few of the games.
  • Monday Morning (Before E3): A Mini-Direct would be uploaded on YouTube to give details on the remaining 3DS & Wii U games. We'd see more Pokémon Sun/Moon footage during this, but no Zelda U.
  • Monday Night: The Nintendo World Championship would be shown here, which would reveal the next 3D Mario for the first time on the NX Platform.
  • Tuesday Morning: The Nintendo Digital Event/Press Conference/Whatever-They're-Doing will go full-blast on NX Platform news. We'll learn about Zelda U being a cross-gen release, the Smash 4 port, & a bunch of other games as well as the release date(s) for the device(s) & the price(s) for said device(s).

Tregard

Soothsayer
My Take

• Late April/Early May: NX Platform reveal event. Goes into detail on what the device(s) can do as well as detail a few of the games.
  • Monday Morning (Before E3): A Mini-Direct would be uploaded on YouTube to give details on the remaining 3DS & Wii U games. We'd see more Pokémon Sun/Moon footage during this, but no Zelda U.
  • Monday Night: The Nintendo World Championship would be shown here, which would reveal the next 3D Mario for the first time on the NX Platform.
  • Tuesday Morning: The Nintendo Digital Event/Press Conference/Whatever-They're-Doing will go full-blast on NX Platform news. We'll learn about Zelda U being a cross-gen release, the Smash 4 port, & a bunch of other games as well as the release date(s) for the device(s) & the price(s) for said device(s).

In this case, when do you think we get an announcement of the NX reveal event? Next week?

Peterc

I really hope on a live show again.
I don't mind if they use allot of videos on a screen at the show, but it so much more personal/hype.

Banned
If anyone was planning an early console successor designed as a ps4 killer I'd expect it to be Microsoft. Whatever form Nintendo's shared architecture takes I think that it will keep the home form relatively modest.

IIRC the AMD speculation began with the ceo talking about the 3DS showing there's still a handheld market.
It actually began because amd won three SoC designs, one which was gaming, and one for beyond gaming. The arm was thought to be the nx and x86 was thought to be a server chip, and the third is now speculated to be PS4K or XB1.5

Nintendo has used AMD and its predecessors since the N64.

thefro

Keep in mind when fantasy scheduling E3 that Nintendo will want to not step on third parties having their own press conferences by running another event at the same time.

They also haven't scheduled anything directly against Microsoft or Sony's conferences in the past.

Right now EA/Bethesda are on Sunday afternoon/evening (although there's time in-between right now), Microsoft is on Monday morning. Ubisoft likely will have a press conference as well and Square-Enix could also have a conference.

It actually began because amd won three SoC designs, one which was gaming, and one for beyond gaming. The arm was thought to be the nx and x86 was thought to be a server chip, and the third is now speculated to be PS4K or XB1.5

Nintendo has used AMD and its predecessors since the N64.

Comment I'm talking about was June 2014, months before the design wins were announced. Can't post a link as I'm reduced to posting on a funcking Vita atm. I was wrong about it being the ceo though, it was their semi custom VP.
Google 'amd hints at deal for 3ds successor'

Banned
Comment I'm talking about was June 2014, months before the design wins were announced. Can't post a link as I'm reduced to posting on a funcking Vita atm. I was wrong about it being the ceo though, it was their semi custom VP.
Google 'amd hints at deal for 3ds successor'
God bless you. I've tried typing and using the browser on that lol.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/a...opment-of-its-third-major-semi-custom-design/

“We have started a new design this quarter that we believe expands our base for the semi-custom business and we are very pleased with that,” said Lisa Su, chief executive officer of Advanced Micro Devices, during the company’s earnings conference call with investors and financial analysts. “The base semi-custom business is around the game consoles.”

AMD announced two new semi-custom SoC design wins back in October, 2014. Both chips will integrate AMD Radeon graphics, one will be based on ARM architecture, another one will feature x86 general-purpose cores. One of the APUs is projected to power a “beyond gaming device”. Details about another have never been disclosed, but it is possible that it is a SoC for a gaming device. The two semi-custom system-on-chips are projected to bring the company combined total lifetime revenue of approximately $1 billion over approximately three years starting 2016.

Maybe the beyond gaming part is VR?

AMD Has Three Semi-Custom Designs In The Pipeline In Addition To The Two Current Console Designs

In 2014 AMD’s President and CEO Lisa Su announced that the company had secured two new semi-custom design wins, one that was x86 based and the other was ARM based. AMD’s CFO Devinder Kumar later revealed that one of these two designs will take AMD’s semi-custom business to markets beyond gaming. Basically confirming that one of the two designs was for a gaming device.
In the Q2 2015 earnings teleconference, Lisa Su announced a third semi-custom design in the pipeline. And in the most recent Q3 2015 earnings teleconference AMD’s CEO announced that one of these three new designs will begin generating revenue in the second half of 2016.

Nintendo’s Next Generation “Nintendo NX” Will In All Probability Feature An AMD Semi-Custom SOC

Interestingly, all whispers point towards that semi-custom design as being Nintendo’s next generation gaming device dubbed “Nintendo NX” which coincidentally is pegged for a 2016 holiday launch, right around when AMD expects to start generating revenue from the upcoming semi-custom ramp mentioned above.

If Nintendo’s chosen semi-custom design is x86 based then any game that’s been released on either the PS4 or the XBOX ONE can be ported over to the new device with relative ease. Allowing Nintendo to jump in on the competition rather than form a niche of its own as it did with the Wii U. With a device that’s rumored to have “industry leading chips” which are “incredibly powerful” not only can Nintendo come out with a device that’s compatible with all the current and upcoming gaming titles, it can do so with hardware that’s potentially better than that of the competition. Something which Nintendo has struggled to achieve over several previous console generations but has the perfect opportunity to accomplish now.
http://wccftech.com/amd-making-custom-x86-soc-apple-imacs-2017-2018/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's probably best to think servers, or htpc type things rather than VR. How seriously are we meant to take this Reddit person?
Why would a server SoC feature a GPU? Case in point: A1100.

Also, 'one goes beyond games' indicates that both AMD wins from 2014 have their roots in games. IMHO, of course. So both SoCs - x86 and arm - have GPUs and both have ties in games, of which one is a sheer gaming device, aka a console, while the other goes 'beyond games'.

Also, 'one goes beyond games' indicates that both AMD wins from 2014 have their roots in games. IMHO, of course. So both SoCs - x86 and arm - have GPUs and both have ties in games, of which one is a sheer gaming device, aka a console, while the other goes 'beyond games'.

Maybe a Sony PSNow server/multi purpose server.
I'm not sure how to interpret the beyond thing, I thought maybe just expanding their semi custom base beyond gaming. I've seen the phrase before somewhere I'll have a look.

Edit: yes tbe original quote was about their Semi Custom *business* going beyond gaming, (i.e it used go be all gaming). So it could be anything really, Apple Mac or something.

Peterc

super_famicom_new_nintendo_3ds_xl.jpg

Loved this design for 3ds.
Could skins also be possible for console design? Like they do with 3ds

Banned

Well VR is considered beyond gaming for me and is an extension of gaming so I'd bet the x86 is PS4K and ARM is Nintendo.

Hilarion

Given the last two years, do you think there'll be a crosspromotion with Best Buy? Two years ago it was playing Smash, last year it was the NWC qualifiers. Will this year be a "your first opportunity to get hands on with the NX at participating Best Buys?"

With a device that’s rumored to have “industry leading chips” which are “incredibly powerful” not only can Nintendo come out with a device that’s compatible with all the current and upcoming gaming titles, it can do so with hardware that’s potentially better than that of the competition. Something which Nintendo has struggled to achieve over several previous console generations but has the perfect opportunity to accomplish now.

http://wccftech.com/amd-making-custom-x86-soc-apple-imacs-2017-2018/

Except it won't because both Sony and Microsoft saw it coming and prepared hardware revisions to counter it this Holiday. PS4K and Xbox One-Two will make the NX a much less attractive proposition as far as power goes. Whoever wrote this article is already behind the news.

Given the last two years, do you think there'll be a crosspeomotion with Best Buy? Two years ago it was playing Smash, last year it was the NWC qualifiers. Will this year be a "your first opportunity to get hands on with the NX at participating Best Buys?"

No way! They would have to start shipments of units this month or the next, if they started manufacturing the units. There would be so many logistical issues, it wouldn't be possible in the same time frame as E3. Maybe later in the year, which they would have anyway if there going to launch this year.

Hilarion

No way! They would have to start shipments of units this month or the next, if they started manufacturing the units. There would be so many logistical issues, it wouldn't be possible in the same time frame as E3. Maybe later in the year, which they would have anyway if there going to launch this year.

Would they? It'd only require a few hundred NXs to have NX hands on demos at Best Buys in major cities around US (and Canada?). A kiosk where you could play, say, one of three select levels of Mario NX.

Given Nintendo was letting people play a beta-as-hell Smash 4 with only 20 characters two years ago, I don't think it would be out of the question.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
10K said:
With a device that’s rumored to have “industry leading chips” which are “incredibly powerful” not only can Nintendo come out with a device that’s compatible with all the current and upcoming gaming titles, it can do so with hardware that’s potentially better than that of the competition. Something which Nintendo has struggled to achieve over several previous console generations but has the perfect opportunity to accomplish now
http://wccftech.com/amd-making-custo...acs-2017-2018/
Except it won't because both Sony and Microsoft saw it coming and prepared hardware revisions to counter it this Holiday. PS4K and Xbox One-Two will make the NX a much less attractive proposition as far as power goes. Whoever wrote this article is already behind the news.
Don't forget the SCDs:

scd93kxt.png

JCH!

I'm actually quite pessimistic about the NX reveal schedule. I don't expect to hear absolutely anything until E3.

Would be more than happy to eat all the crow in the world, though.

Would they? It'd only require a few hundred NXs to have NX hands on demos at Best Buys in major cities around US (and Canada?). A kiosk where you could play, say, one of three select levels of Mario NX.

Given Nintendo was letting people play a beta-as-hell Smash 4 with only 20 characters two years ago, I don't think it would be out of the question.

Software on already manufactured console units is very different than hardware that we don't know it started manufacturing. If they will start shipping it we would hear reports and get leaks in the coming months, I don't see that happing.

The_Lump

Banned

So you know PS4K and XBone-2 are coming this holiday, eh?

Peterc

Rösti;200778250 said:
Don't forget the SCDs:

scd93kxt.png

I hope but doubt it will happen.
It looks difficult for developersto work with different power for one game.
Dev's aren't that happy with ps4k, because they will need to config their games for 2 consoles ps4/ps4k. what means it will cost them allot of work.

Console was just a good thing for devs, so that they don't needed to put allot of work in different power systems like pc.

MK_768

We don't know that MS and Sony are creating the new iterations because of NX.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I hope but doubt it will happen.
It looks difficult for developersto work with different power for one game.
Dev's aren't that happy with ps4k, because they will need to config their games for 2 consoles ps4/ps4k. what means it will cost them allot of work.

Console was just a good thing for devs, so that they don't needed to put allot of work in different power systems like pc.
With the attention Nintendo is giving this patent, I do believe they have a genuine intent to use it (hopefully for NX). The reward system and sharing of system resources these devices provide goes well with Nintendo in my opinion.

There have been some intriguing events about this patent recently, and I hope to gain access to new documents shortly.

intriguing events?

The reward thing reminded me of the fon network, where you can leech off people's routers if you agree to give up some of your router's bw for others to leech off.

Rösti;200778916 said:
With the attention Nintendo is giving this patent, I do believe they have a genuine intent to use it (hopefully for NX). The reward system and sharing of system resources these devices provide goes well with Nintendo in my opinion.

There have been some intriguing events about this patent recently, and I hope to gain access to new documents shortly.

I guess the patent got updated or something?

MrBigBoy

Rösti;200779464 said:
The most recent event regarding this patent with the USPTO is titled "Reasons for Allowance", dated 04-07-2016. I'm waiting for that document to be made available.
How long does it usually take for such documents to become available?

Rösti;200779464 said:
The most recent event regarding this patent with the USPTO is titled "Reasons for Allowance", dated 04-07-2016. I'm waiting for that document to be made available.

Is this to do with it being rejected?

Vena

I gave up on him. Doesn't AMD have arm APU's?

Why the sudden surrender, lol?

I don't know how you draw your IPC conclusions from the 'pre-announcement' BR data - all we know so far about BR is that it's an excavator with DDR4. Moreover, using single-threaded Cinebench results to draw conclusions of the overall CPU performance of the APU, given CMT, is meaningless - integer performance might scale N-times linearly with cores will not scale linearly with cores, thanks to turbo-boost, but floating-point performance definitely will not, thanks to CMT.

At the end of the day BR's integer performance might be on-par or slightly better than a 2GHz 8x jaguar, but the fp performance will be decidedly worse. I already sent some rudimentary BR-vs-ps4-vs-xbone calculations to the OP when he asked me about my opinion of BR, so let me repost those here:

ps4: 102.4 GFLOPS (8 cores x 8 flops/clock x 1.6GHz)
xbone: 112 GFLOPS (8 cores x 8 flops/clock x 1.75GHz)
a hypothetical 8x jaguar/puma @ 2GHz: 128GFLOPS
a hypothetical BR @ 2.5GHz: 80 GFLOPS (2 fpus* x 16 flops/clock** x 2.5GHz)

* each "dual-core" module has one fpu.
** assuming Excavator keeps Steamroller's dual 128-bit FMACs.

I wonder, do you think LCGeek's metrics were on pure clockspeed or on benchmarking? That may well enough remove the possibility of BR, no?

georly

I really don't want to see Miyamoto playing Zelda on stage via a live demo again.
When he demoed Wind Waker and important item clipped through the ground and he was stuck not being able to progress.
When he demoed SS interference messed up the controls.
The digital event can be amazing, we saw how much better the 2014 one was in comparison to the competition, they just didn't have enough content for the last one.
They should (or at least they better) have a ton to show this e3 with potentially two new consoles to show off.
Treehouse live is great for those demos since it's more laid back.

I think the reason they switched to digital + treehouse is so that flubs like that don't happen anymore. You have a well-planned, rehearsed, scripted video to show off everything in perfect working condition, then you have the treehouse live, which is laid back and can explain bugs/glitches in a casual way - "Sorry, it's an in-development build, we'll have these worked out before launch" or something. You can't really do that on stage with millions of viewers, but you can on twitch w/ thousands of hardcore viewers. It works super well and I hope they never go back to demoing games on stage ever again. It's a bad idea and no one should ever do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom