• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manoko

Well, everyone was a bunch of crazy dreamers and looking for ultimate power. Only normal for many to be crushed.

I just expect parity is all.

I don't understand how can people expect parity with already 2-3 years old systems.
Nintendo can't possibly not jump on the opportunity of one-upping the competition, considering their delayed launch.

GamerJM

Banned
I mean obviously the console would come with "support" so i thought she meant a sizeable number of titles.

Nah I don't think that's what she means. I think she's just trying to imply that the rumor going around from that one Reddit user that they would basically have no third-party support at launch is probably false, because it's not something Nintendo would do.

doop_

Banned
Nah I don't think that's what she means. I think she's just trying to imply that the rumor going around from that one Reddit user that they would basically have no third-party support at launch is probably false, because it's not something Nintendo would do.
Oh, I will edit my original post then.

udivision

There will be 3rd part things at launch to make people go "there's a chance!?" and then reality will barge in and the well will dry up, if the sales aren't there.

I don't understand how can people expect parity with already 2-3 years old systems.
Nintendo can't possibly not jump on the opportunity of on-upping the competition, considering their delayed launch.

Um... I mean... there's precedence for that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ultimate power is generally rare, seeing as how it can't be very ultimate if there are more than one of it.
And I have it.

Settling for parity/less than is a good baseline from which everything is generally good news!

image.php

Nintendo can't possibly not jump on the opportunity of on-upping the competition, considering their delayed launch.

Parity could be anywhere. There's actually not a lot of room between Xbox One's power and PS4's power, NX could be at the same level or better. CPU is pointing to better, for now.

Instro

Well we have 2 generations in a row of them not managing that so...

Thraktor

Call of Duty certainly wouldn't be out of the question. EA Sports games and Mass Effect, Ubi with Watch Dogs, those are the big ones that have a chance of making it over.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see at least CoD and Ubisoft's main releases for the first year or two. Even Wii U got two years of CoD and Assassin's Creed.

GamerJM

Banned
Ah she's talking about EA now

I don't know if she actually has info that she's implying with her tweets or if she's just bringing up facts about things that already happened though. She says to keep in mind that EA only didn't like the Wii U, not Nintendo as a whole, because they still gave the 3DS minor support.

He was the one posting the optimistic specs just two pages back. So i'm guessing his info has nothing to do with specs.

Do you really think my post was meant to be serious? :D

I'm just sitting here and having fun while waiting for the official NX reveal in the near future.

Jackano

- Lower price (300-350 at launch against 400 & 500)
- Low-power consumption fetish
- Extra cost in controller and/or "gimmick" like was the gamepad, weighting nearly half the SKU price

Manoko

Um... I mean... there's precedence for that.

Well we have 2 generations in a row of them not managing that so...

- Lower price (300-350 at launch against 400 & 500)
- Low-power consumption fetish
- Extra cost in controller and/or "gimmick" like was the gamepad, weighting nearly half the SKU price

Of course, but they have to drastically change their strategy towards hardware and have strongly hinted on this in past statements.

It's not hard to believe NX will be powerful and traditionnal, rather than rely on gimmicks and pure innovative gameplay and controls like the two previous home consoles from them.

That said, it would be terribly stupid for Nintendo not to include powerful hardware in the NX.

PS: I'm pretty sure 350$ worth of hardware today is more powerful than 500$ from three years ago.

Malus

I know...
A man can dream (of sanity within Nintendo's hardware R&D)...

I mean, the PS4K is supposed to be only a half gen jump over PS4 and they're looking at a $400-$500 price range it seems. If Nintendo is looking $300 or lower I can't imagine it'd be much more powerful if at all.

Number_6

Nintendo can't possibly not jump on the opportunity of one-upping the competition, considering their delayed launch.

What delayed launch is this? Wii U is current gen and came out first. NX would be next gen, and super early at that.

Manoko

I mean, the PS4K is supposed to be only a half gen jump over PS4 and they're looking at a $400-$500 price range it seems. If Nintendo is looking $300 or lower I can't imagine it'd be much more powerful if at all.

The rumors I saw about it were pointing at a GPU 50% more powerful than PS4.
That's a huge jump in performance, this is what 3 years worth of hardware growth brings to the table.

Malus

That's a huge jump in performance, this is what 3 years worth of hardware growth brings to the table.

It is? I thought a full gen difference is like several times more powerful GPU.

THE:MILKMAN

Surely 100%, no?

Edit: Of course you talk of the NX! I'm going between three leak threads here and brain is exploding....

Manoko

What delayed launch is this? Wii U is current gen and came out first. NX would be next gen, and super early at that.

NX being next gen would be like saying that PS4K is next gen too.
No it's not, Nintendo is late to the console generation, rather than early on the next, because their hardware is closer to the previous current Sony/Microsoft hardware power-wise than the next, by a wide margin.

Jackano

Of course, but they have to drastically change their strategy towards hardware and have strongly hinted on this in past statements.

It's not hard to believe NX will be powerful and traditionnal, rather than rely on gimmicks and pure innovative gameplay and controls like the two previous home consoles from them.

PS: I'm pretty sure 350$ worth of hardware today is more powerful than 500$ from three years ago.

They hinted at iterative hardwares with a shorter release cycle, like iphones, and like releasing new 3DS (meaning with power boost) every 2-3 years. Just like sony and microsoft will start to do so too with xb 1.5 and ps4k.

It doesn't mean the first home console will be a power house. They can aim for a low entry price, and try to match competitors specs in later releases.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ah she's talking about EA now

I don't know if she actually has info that she's implying with her tweets or if she's just bringing up facts about things that already happened though. She says to keep in mind that EA only didn't like the Wii U, not Nintendo as a whole, because they still gave the 3DS minor support.

She's saying that we should not undervalue the importance of 3rd party support. 3DS got tons of it and made it very appealing. Also that Nintendo would never release a new system without at least some 3rd parties involved.

One thing I believe Nintendo really needs to do is change their hardware focus to be more accommodating for 3rd parties and work from there. If it's painfully easily to develop for, then negotiations need to happen, and more often to rebuild their relationships.

EDIT: She also says that no one at EA hates Nintendo. It's that they didn't like the Wii U and found it difficult to develop for.

Manoko

They hinted at iterative hardwares with a shorter release cycle, like iphones, and like releasing new 3DS (meaning with power boost) every 2-3 years. Just like sony and microsoft will start to do so too with xb 1.5 and ps4k.

It doesn't mean the first home console will be a power house. They can aim for a low entry price, and try to match competitors specs in later releases.

I see.

Well hopefully 10k being verified will help us better understand Nintendo's plans with this generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
She's saying that we should not undervalue the importance of 3rd party support. 3DS got tons of it and made it very appealing. Also that Nintendo would never release a new system without at least some 3rd parties involved.

One thing Nintendo really needs to do is change their hardware focus to be more accommodating for 3rd parties and work from there. If it's painfully easily to develop for, then negotiations need to happen, and more often to rebuild their relationships.

EDIT: She also says that no one at EA hates Nintendo. It's that they didn't like the Wii U and found it difficult to develop for.

Yeah, guys, Emily herself is saying it's better to not overanalyse her most recent tweets. Simply, as she says, surely Nintendo doesn't want to make another Wii U.

They haven't given us any reason to believe otherwise. They could have easily with the Wii U and didn't.

Sadist

Yup. The documentation was absolutely horrible and tech support from Nintendo took way too long to answer back. Or that's what I heard. Even heard that one EA team just straight up boxed up the Wii U devkits after being done and shipped them back to Nintendo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Expect it to be weaker. That's my moto.

Weaker than weak.
Btw I am honestly interested in weird controllers, gimmicks or interfaces so so far NX rumors have been interesting.

The software rumors on the other hand so far have been so boring (except bg&e2)

Hermii

That one up will only last for a month or two tops, when ps4k releases.

Manoko

That one up will only last for a month or two tops, when ps4k releases.

Parity with PS4K is totally fine.
It would still mean Nintendo has the most powerful system (tied with PS4K) on the market.

I was talking about the parity with Xbox One / PS4 people seem to expect.
This would be a huge mistake for Nintendo, if they decide to launch an already irrelevant piece of hardware in terms of processing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom