• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

redditor is reporting the true cost to fully upgrade one character in Diablo Immortal is OVER $500,000

MiguelItUp

you're obviously not meant to spend that much. if you do then it's your own stupid fault.
Exactly. Not excusing it by any means, but I'm sure there are plenty of other mobile games where you could spend the same amount of money to fully upgrade a character. I just figured Diablo Immortal got so much attention because it's Diablo. So, maybe a ton of people that didn't/don't play gachas and similar games on mobile, had no idea that this is nothing new. I still don't understand how people were SO shocked by any of this, I figured it was expected as a mobile game when it was originally announced, lol.

Holammer

e511f9ba7344c270a85634f04f92111d.jpg

Spyxos

I am scared, that because of this bullshit game, all games are getting more regulated, not only on the mobile, and it will only get worse for all gamers.

I am scared, that because of this bullshit game, all games are getting more regulated, not only on the mobile, and it will only get worse for all gamers.

I'm not seeing the logic here. Proper legislation that prevents monitization practices like this (gambling mechanics, lootboxes, targeting whales)... will somehow make the problem worse? How?

So not letting monopolized, billion dollar game publishers do whatever they want with no limitations or restrictions is... bad for gamers?

Are you against age rating labels on games?

What about false advertisement laws?

Or copyright laws, preventing companies from stealing each others products?

Really curious why not letting children and teenagers fall victim to gambling mechanics is where you draw the line in terms of legislation...

Last edited:

Spyxos

I'm not seeing the logic here. Proper legislation that prevents monitization practices like this (gambling mechanics, lootboxes, targeting whales)... will somehow make the problem worse? How?

So not letting monopolized, billion dollar game publishers do whatever they want with no limitations or restrictions is... bad for gamers?

Are you against age rating labels on games?

What about false advertisement laws?

Or copyright laws, preventing companies from stealing each others products?

Really curious why not letting children and teenagers fall victim to gambling mechanics is where you draw the line in terms of legislation...
Maybe i am wrong here, but if i think about politicians, they usually have absolutely no clue how games work. So they will regulate all games, not only the bad apples. I am in Germany and the few times i remember when politics changed something with games, it was always bad for everyone, especially as they saw games as their no 1 enemy.

levyjl1988

Banned
Why the fuck did you people install this game if you knew it was scummy from the very beginning.

1. It's a free-to-play game.

It's a psychological trap.
If you want to play a Diablo game just play Diablo 3 on the Nintendo Switch. It has analog sticks and buttons.

Why the fuck do you play this crap?

Maybe i am wrong here, but if i think about politicians, they usually have absolutely no clue how games work. So they will regulate all games, not only the bad apples. I am in Germany and the few times i remember when politics changed something with games, it was always bad for everyone, especially as they saw games as their no 1 enemy.

Of course I am not blankly endorsing all forms of legislation period, and as your neighbour (NL) I am very much aware of your countries history with anti-videogame violence laws. Thank god that has changed over the years. But what you are referring to is mostly a period of moral panick regarding videogames, mostly pushed by old conservatives and the religious, who saw it as satanism, heresy or the cause for certain wrongs with society (violence, sex, etc). I don't think that had much to do with financial regulation, which is more akin to regular gambling laws, which is something politicians are familiar with, so at least from my perspective that is not really a concern of mine.

To me, the moral outrage of certain activist groups is more likely to have a negative effect on the videogame industry than financial regulations regarding gambling mechanics.

anthraticus

Banned
Diablo 1 was a tight, atmospheric, semi-roguelike hack and slasher while the rest of the series turned into treasure hunting sims for multiplayer addicts. Even 2 replaced that amazing dark gothic setting of the first game with desert catwomen and forest midgets.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

M16

you know how many millions of dollars i need to fully upgrade myself with a bomb ass mansion and super cars?

Pejo

The thing that not a lot people get is that the devs specifically do NOT want you to be able to max out a character. Once you have nothing to chase, the dopamine you get from this type of game evaporates almost completely. It's not about having 6/6 best in slot gems or that item level 300 perfect substat sword, it's about the chase for it.

They don't expect anybody to spend $500,000 for a character, but they will get whales that spend $2k a month chasing the idea. That's the goal. Sustained income with little/no effort

Fuz

Banned
The thing that not a lot people get is that the devs specifically do NOT want you to be able to max out a character. Once you have nothing to chase, the dopamine you get from this type of game evaporates almost completely. It's not about having 6/6 best in slot gems or that item level 300 perfect substat sword, it's about the chase for it.

They don't expect anybody to spend $500,000 for a character, but they will get whales that spend $2k a month chasing the idea. That's the goal. Sustained income with little/no effort
Which is shit game design, a cancer that's infecting everything.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Still cheaper than Star Citizen
I am playing star citizen. I paid $60 and never spent another dime. No content is gated from me, and ships are not that hard to save up for with in game money. You are dumb if you spend real money on ships in SC as they are easily obtainable.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
It’s not just the character, back in the days part of the fun was to find the best gear in the game and upgrade it to max. Did you never do that?
Unlocking everything was a thing too, to 100% a game.

The RNG ones? Never. I only max out the gear when it's a given, where there are certain quests or parts findings/crafting that has to be done that will 100% give you the best gear, stuff like the fancy time traveling back and forth in Chrono Trigger for example, but putting tens, hundreds of hours in hope that one day you'll get what you're looking for? Never. I prefer to put those hours into replaying the game with a different character or build instead.

Fredrik

The RNG ones? Never. I only max out the gear when it's a given, where there are certain quests or parts findings/crafting that has to be done that will 100% give you the best gear, stuff like the fancy time traveling back and forth in Chrono Trigger for example, but putting tens, hundreds of hours in hope that one day you'll get what you're looking for? Never. I prefer to put those hours into replaying the game with a different character or build instead.
I definitely prefer when awesome gear are found at specific locations but I like the rare drop mechanic as well and I’ve grinded quite a bit to get full set armours in Elden Ring for example. Would’ve pissed me off if I would’ve had to pay to get and max out the gear. I went back to max out two more swords before I found a decent way to beat Elden Beast.

Top Bottom