• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall developer Arkane currently safe, Microsoft says

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
With Raph gone and a lot of Prey veterans out of the door do we even need modern Arkane?

I'm rooting for these guys tho.
wolfeye-galaxy.jpg

Arkane is dead. 70% of the Prey devs is out. I'm surprised Harvey Smith is still there.

Prey / Dishonored series, some of my favorite games of all time. :messenger_pensive:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Having Xbox management talking about it is scarier than if they did not. But they have chosen to ship the game and will probably try to fix it enough to quietly move on. I believe that unless they invest greatly in it, Austin is out for this gen. They will need the rest of this year to fix Redfall, then they will need a good prototype for their next game. Even with a optimistic 3/4 year dev time for this potential game it would put us way closer to the next gen than Xbox would like. The question is, what would they want to do with it? They are not a studio known to make games for the launch of a console. They are not a celebrated studio like Naughty dog/Rockstar/ Hellblade 2 devellopers Ninja Theory(?) that they can use to give us the best of a console. With the weird Microsoft ►Xbox ►Bethesda►Arkane►Arkane Austin going on a lot can be "lost in translation". For me if they are not victim of mass layoffs at the end of the year/fiscal year is when I will feel that they are safe. But as Xbox is trying to grow they have not a lot of reasons to end the studio. I do not want that for anyone. But still, I hope that we get a clear vision soon of what they will do. The future is dark for them at the moment.

GymWolf

This time they have creativity freedom. Rf was result of management pressure.
The thing is, do they still have any talent left? Because i tried to love redfall for 10 hours but even a big arkan fanboy like me had to give up, that game had nothing of past arkane games, some glimpse here and there and that's it.

Stuart360

The thing is, do they still have any talent left? Because i tried to love redfall for 10 hours but even a big arkan fanboy like me had to give up, that game had nothing of past arkane games, some glimpse here and there and that's it.
If the rumours are true, Arkane themselves didnt want to continue with Redfall, and were hoping MS would cancel it when they were bought, they didnt though.
Arkanes heart wasnt in it it seems. They better have their heart in their next project though by the sound of it.

feynoob

Banned
You can hire talent. look at fable.
The only difference would be creative vision. If the old guys are not there, it would be different than the regular dishonored games.

ZoukGalaxy

"Currently" but tomorrow is a another day.

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Honestly, if the core talents is really gone, they should just scrap the studio, no ones wants a Redfail 2, just relocate peoples to others studios to allow them to learn and grow.

Last edited:

skit_data

Plot twist: Arkane Lyon is safe and sound, the whole of Arkane Austin gets fired (whoever is left there, anyway)

That sounds MUCH more ominous for the future of the studio than if they had not say anything.

Arkane should have sold themselves to Sony. Wrong move
LMAO. With Sony's current focus on GAAS model, I'm sure the game would have released in the same state only with a lot more MTs and no GamePass to let people try it out before making the $70 commitment.

Krathoon

All Arkane has to do is be like CD Projekt and dig themselves out of the hole.

Just fix the game up. Maybe even re-release it.

Krathoon

If the rumours are true, Arkane themselves didnt want to continue with Redfall, and were hoping MS would cancel it when they were bought, they didnt though.
Arkanes heart wasnt in it it seems. They better have their heart in their next project though by the sound of it.
That is not an excuse. They had a game to finish and they didn't. Just finish the game. It is called work ethic.

The game has some weird ideas. It seems like it would be fun to work on. The artists got weird with it.

Roni

Gold Member
Greenlight Dishonored 3 and Prey 2 already and work on getting the gang back together...

xrnzaaas

The best devs have already left Arkane, they won't be saved even if they're given a chance to develop a new singleplayer immersive sim. You still need talented people to create a great, memorable game.

They're going to be the first Zenimax studio to close down.

Last edited:

Kacho

Did Arkane actually want to make a GAAS? All signs point to no, so I assume the blame lies on leadership at Zenimax. I don't think it's a coincidence that multiple Bethesda studios started dropping live service turds in recent years.

If anyone worth a shit still works at Arkane, give them a chance to make something great without the pressure of chasing dopey trends.

Krathoon

Yeah. They may have to pass Redfall to another team and have them patch it up.

I just get annoyed with this mentality of abandoning games. At least make a finished product.

Last edited:

Krathoon

This reminds me of Alone in the Dark on the PS3. This guy patched up the game and made a pretty good version.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
well, actually they do have standards. it's just that their new & improved standards, like 'it gets good play on xbox game pass', are highly questionable?...
Redfall is not even in the top 40 Xbox Most Played List as of last week. So yeah "good play on Xbox GP" is extremely low standards if the game is not even in top 40, when games like Car Mechanic Simulator is at #20.

Top Bottom