• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Registering Less Than 20 Average Players on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
EGS_Redfall_ArkaneStudios_S3_2560x1440-795d9cd066c3ffd24f540e1a38f8e9c9_2560x1440-795d9cd066c3ffd24f540e1a38f8e9c9
Redfall didn't come close to meeting expectations and has instead been one of the biggest disappointments that Xbox fans have seen in a long time. With this in mind, it looks like many have opted to skip out on playing Redfall completely.

As noted by those on Reddit recently, Redfall's player count on Steam is basically nonexistent. When looking at data from SteamDB, which is a site that tracks usage on Steam, Redfall is only amassing roughly 20 players across the entire platform. As of this weekend, the game happened to peak at a mere 38 players in total, which is absolutely dreadful, to say the least.

zjej3sgfptjb1.jpg

The big caveat with this situation is that this data only stems from Steam, which is likely the platform on PC that Xbox players interact with the least. Given that Redfall is available to play via Xbox Game Pass, there's a good chance that many who have played Redfall for themselves have downloaded it through the Microsoft Store. Still, if this Steam data is indicative of how the shooter is performing on other platforms, it spells very bad news for Xbox and Bethesda.

Laptop1991

And that was the audience Zenimax were aiming for with their live service push for all their IP's, 15 players, don't think they were gonna make that much money in the end lol

LordCBH

Microsoft would have been smarter to have aborted this game as soon as they saw the state it was in. Absolutely insane.

MMaRsu

Banned
This game is the reason I refuse to buy the premium edition of Starfield before seeing real reviews and impressions on the performance for PC.

I just don't trust anything MS says before their games are released. Still can't believed they released this crap and put marketing dollars behind it.

Todd Howard hasnt directed a game under 85MC. Starfield is from a totally different developer.

Its like saying 'Im not buying GTA 6 because Mafia remake was wack'

clarky

Gold Member
This is on Zenimax.. not MS

Should they have interfered? For sure. But game was developed and greenlit under Zenimax.
HHHmmm i'd say its on MS' toes as well. Just like if Starfield hits or misses the deserve some credit/shade at the very least.

Redfall should not have been released. When they bought them surely they took look at all the projects in development?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Microsoft would have been smarter to have aborted this game as soon as they saw the state it was in. Absolutely insane.
There was no winning for them this late in the game. Last time they did that with Scalebound, everyone was crying about it. They would have done that with Redfall and people would have cried that they canceled a great game and that they're ruining Arkane.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Todd Howard hasnt directed a game under 85MC. Starfield is from a totally different developer.

And the GTA "definitive Edition". And the recent Red dead redemption "remaster". Not that you are wrong, GTA 6 should be a massive hit and I and many others will buy it day one no matter what. But a few people will want to have a look before buying. If this can happen to GTA, it can happen to Starfield too. AT least with Gamepass there is a easy way to try before buying if people are cautious.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
There was no winning for them this late in the game. Last time they did that with Scalebound, everyone was crying about it. They would have done that with Redfall and people would have cried that they canceled a great game and that they're ruining Arkane.
Better to for them to take the blame than Arkane. I agree with you that both options are shit but cancelling would have put the blame on Microsoft only. What they did hurt them both IMHO.

MMaRsu

Banned
And the GTA "definitive Edition". And the recent Red dead redemption "remaster". Not that you are wrong, GTA 6 should be a massive hit and I and many others will buy it day one no matter what. But a few people will want to have a look before buying. If this can happen to GTA, it can happen to Starfield too. AT least with Gamepass there is a easy way to try before buying if people are cautious.
No.

Different developer. This should be obvious to you.

Gta def edition was not done by Rockstar. Neither was RDR online. As such this should have zero bearing on gta 6.

MMaRsu

Banned
And it changes what to my post? It's still an Xbox flop.

HHHmmm i'd say its on MS' toes as well. Just like if Starfield hits or misses the deserve some credit/shade at the very least.

Redfall should not have been released. When they bought them surely they took look at all the projects in development?
No, phil said they were very hands off at first. That was their philosophy, to let the dev teams work and not interfere.

But then soon realized this was a big mistake.

No it’s not, GTA mainline games are usually high quality at launch.

Todd Howard games are known to launch with bugs.

Redfall and Starfield both launching in Game Pass, Xbox first party games and under ZeniMax.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
No.

Different developer. This should be obvious to you.

Gta def edition was not done by Rockstar. Neither was RDR online. As such this should have zero bearing on gta 6.
To you. And me. But not to some people in my opinion. Fallout 76 had on top of the game problems bad business decisions like the bag. Those are 100% Bethesda fault. Same for my complaints about recent Take Two games. Those issues can make gamers distrusful of new games. I think that some of my best gaming memories were made with GTA games. GTA 3 was my first PS2 game. So I know that GTA 6 will be day 1 no matter what for me. But I do know that things have changed since my youth and that I can expect a bad surprise or two when the game will be out. Do you believe that GTA 6 will be ok? Normal opinion. Can you garantee it? That is not the same thing. If you can see what I mean by that.

MMaRsu

Banned
To you. And me. But not to some people in my opinion. Fallout 76 had on top of the game problems bad business decisions like the bag. Those are 100% Bethesda fault. Same for my complaints about recent Take Two games. Those issues can make gamers distrusful of new games. I think that some of my best gaming memories were made with GTA games. GTA 3 was my first PS2 game. So I know that GTA 6 will be day 1 no matter what for me. But I do know that things have changed since my youth and that I can expect a bad surprise or two when the game will be out. Do you believe that GTA 6 will be ok? Normal opinion. Can you garantee it? That is not the same thing. If you can see what I mean by that.
Bethesda is a huge publisher that falls under Zenimax.

They have multiple teams, Arkane, IDsoft, Bethesda Game Studios and many more.

Bethesda Game Studios, and at the very least Todd's team did some help on Fallout 76, they werent the main developer.

I feel like if I have to explain this to people on a gaming board, yes normal casuals wont be able to make that connection or understand it.

To them, DOOM is made by the same company as Skyrim: Bethesda.

I can see what you mean, but for me, Rockstars latest game IS Red Dead Redemption 2. And that is true, they did not create the definitive editions.

And for ME, RDR2 is an insanely amazing game that is very high on my list.

So do I have faith in GTA6? Absolutely. Can I guarantee you it will be great? No i cannot.

clarky

Gold Member
No, phil said they were very hands off at first. That was their philosophy, to let the dev teams work and not interfere.

But then soon realized this was a big mistake.
Exactly my point. If i'd spent 7 billion and had a lack of first party i'd be very interested in my new studio's output. Its not rocket science, but it is stupidity if you don't.

They could have axed Redfall the moment they bought them and Arkane could be half way to something they actually wanted to work on by now. Hindsight is easy though i suppose. They learnt a big lesson there.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
All the fans are probably waiting for that tons of post-launch support that was promised.

Reckheim

All the fans are probably waiting for that tons of post-launch support that was promised.
I actually am lol. I like the art direction, if the performance was better on PC I actually could of got some enjoyment out of it.

Deft Beck

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they just remove the game from sale and write off the development costs as a tax loss.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Bethesda is a huge publisher that falls under Zenimax.

They have multiple teams, Arkane, IDsoft, Bethesda Game Studios and many more.

Bethesda Game Studios, and at the very least Todd's team did some help on Fallout 76, they werent the main developer.

I feel like if I have to explain this to people on a gaming board, yes normal casuals wont be able to make that connection or understand it.

To them, DOOM is made by the same company as Skyrim: Bethesda.

I can see what you mean, but for me, Rockstars latest game IS Red Dead Redemption 2. And that is true, they did not create the definitive editions.

And for ME, RDR2 is an insanely amazing game that is very high on my list.

So do I have faith in GTA6? Absolutely. Can I guarantee you it will be great? No i cannot.
And I mostly agree with that too. Just that the first part of the discussion is this from another poster:
I just don't trust anything MS says before their games are released. Still can't believed they released this crap and put marketing dollars behind it.
You trust Rockstar. I trust them too. But I can see people not trusting them because their publisher is shit. And Bethesda does not have the same reputation that Rockstar does. Nothing wrong with that. We will see the state of Starfield soon. And it will be good, or at least I hope so.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's a turd...and shit happens. I feel sorry for those people playing it. If they're enjoying it...more power to them I guess?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm just doing some trophy hunting in Hogwarts. Passing the time....

The last time I fired up a game was on the 19th of August according to my Steam library. Starfield is all I want to play. I've tried to play something a few times but I just ended up scrolling through my library for a few minutes before realizing that nothing else with scratch that itch. Just 2 more sleeps.

Whoops Fail GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

It really is a wet turd of a game. It's not outright...like bad in of itself, I guess it's kind of competent, but it def. doesn't live up to Arkane's pedigree and feels like it was made last minute and with nothing that makes it interesting. It's like a shitty 4-player Far Cry with none of the polish or at least none of the focus/direction.

Please explain what Dreams has to do with Redfall?
The same that Redfall has to do with anything other than Redfall.

Posting an article about a fuck-up in the past the day before a massive launch is FUD-posting at its core. If I posted a thread about the hilariously mismanaged boondoggle that was Dreams the day before Spiderman 2 launched I'd expect to be called out for console warring.

Top Bottom