• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall: Summoning and Slaying The Rook - IGN First Gameplay

GHG

Let me guess, CUPHEAD was also a terrible game because of that one fella who couldn't get past the tutorial.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

If only the player's ability was the only problem on show here, if only.

DaGwaphics

Looks like a video game not an interactive storyboard, that's an improvement over a lot of things you see. I look forward to giving it a go on release. Comes across as something not taking itself too seriously here, but that can be fun.

This footage though, the way the player kept running around in circles. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm probably worse truth be told, but still I wouldn't put up a video like that.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The Division is of course a much superior game, but talking about the PvPvE element here.

There is no "PvP" here. What are you even talking about? Why not take two seconds to do ANY research about something you're tossing hot takes at?

I guess immersive sims don't pay the bills, I'm no longer arkane's target audience, oh well

They've said and shown multiple times, that this has the same "immersive" gameplay as their other titles. How well it turns out remains to be scene, but this isn't a case of ARKANE just deciding to go and chase trends. They wanted to make an open world game and wanted to see if they could do it like their other games. Full stop.

I think the reality of the situation is that this game was green-lit before the acquisition and Bethesda needed to make a "popular" game.

So, to turn around the trend of them trying immersive/emergent gameplay in different games, only to have those games fail they. . .try another immersive/emergent game? How exactly does that work?

. . .talk about out of whack narratives.

So, to turn around the trend of them trying immersive/emergent gameplay in different games, only to have those games fail they. . .try another immersive/emergent game? How exactly does that work?

. . .talk about out of whack narratives.
well, I am not the one concerned about the direction of this game...Arkane fans are.

and this video doesn't show immersive/emergent/systems-driven gameplay.

it looks like something created inside the creation suite of Fortnite's

I don't get how anyone at the studio can play this and not even consider that this game feels generic as hell. This feels like a game being made by a new and upcoming indie studio.

Character that player is using here has blink ability.

He can get boss to get close, use his ultraviolet area of effect ability, then blink away. Melee enemies+ blink sounds like a lot of fun.

Will be hell lot of fun if you are able to use abilities correctly.

More fake concern. This game will score around 85 on metacritic more than likely. We all know it is because this game won’t ever come to PS5. I expect more of this fake concern with star field.

I don't see what is wrong with the footage other than the IGN guy running around and dying obviously because the red square transition.

It is a typical mini boss fight that comes out after certain conditions are met.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I want to see someone competent play this game.

Not some guy who is hardly ever shooting at the enemies and throwing things on the floor then changes to a sniper rifle in doors close range...turning the camera so eratically that it almost made me feel sick.

There are some clear flaws to the game though. Hit detection looks nine existent, no punch to the combat. It could still feel good to play when in hand but these people playing are like absolute dog shit at the game.

ProtoByte

This is just an extended look at the flaws of the game that were always obviously there.

Subpar graphics and animation work where NPCs seem to pause in idle stances after doing there attacks. Bullet sponge enemies that don't react to point blank shotgun fire. Static environments that don't react to bullets or explosives, and generally poor audio-visual feedback for gunplay. Nonexistent level or encounter design, by virtue of the fact that the game has to "work" in both single player and multiplayer.

Everyone bamboozled by the PR and the previews ensuring that Arkane's already meager attempt imitation of the immersive sim genre was somehow going to be preserved in Back4Borderlands: Vampire Edition, or that the gunplay was going to be sharp bro because id Software maybe had a couple of guys patch into a handful of design calls or something should know better by now. We've seen this game many times, and it always sounded like it was going to end up this way on paper anyway if you know how this stuff works.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just watched the video again, and it’s just….blah.

Going by the Vampire theme there’s so much they can do with it. Vampires can take different forms, like of mist, a bat, or wolf. Why not utilize that during the boss battle? Maybe you’re shooting at it and suddenly your bullets are useless as it takes a mist form, so now you need to use a different weapon or item in your arsenal? Or maybe mist is a defensive mechanism used for escape or surprise attacks?
Vampires can seduce, so why not have it put a teammate under its spell so that teammate becomes a temporary enemy?

Maybe that sort of thing is in the game, but the Vampire Rook looked like a Halo Brute. A big dumb oaf that just has a charging slash and uh…red lightning? It’s a dumb, mindless run around and shoot big bullet sponge type fight that doesn’t make good use of the theme. Worse still did I detect chatty characters? Not chatty as in holy fuck were in the middle of fighting a big vampire, but just casual chatty. Meh.

To think this is from the super talented Arkane who is known for some incredible shit like Dishonored, Prey, and Might and Magic Dark Messiah. This looks like it’s catering to the lowest common denominator player. There’s nothing smart or open about the gameplay in the video.

I’m hoping this is an early part of the game and not representative of the full experience. But I do get the feeling that this was a dumbed down made for Game Pass type experience. There’s a hundred other developers that can do this sort of game. Don’t waste Arkane’s talent on it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People are bashing the uninspired, generic gameplay (and rightly so), but what's going on with the graphics?

How is this a current-gen exclusive game when there are cross-gen games (HFW, Hogwart's Legacy, CP 2077, DL 2, SM:MM) that look 10x better than this?

Last edited:
More fake concern. This game will score around 85 on metacritic more than likely. We all know it is because this game won’t ever come to PS5. I expect more of this fake concern with star field.

I don't see what is wrong with the footage other than the IGN guy running around and dying obviously because the red square transition.

It is a typical mini boss fight that comes out after certain conditions are met.

You say "fake concern", i say "coping" and "damage control".

If you like sub-par gfx, sleep-inducing and banal gameplay and ultra mediocre art-direction then more power to you but...this is a far cry from Dishonored, Prey etc.

The way I see it, the only people enthused by this are the "hardcore fans" that are trying to grasp at...anything really as long as it's an "exclusive" as to score internet cookie points.

If you think that this looks or that it will play even remotely good...I have many bridges to sell you my good man.

Cheers

Kev Kev

It doesn't look bad it just looks like... too much.

It's a lot of colors and in your face stuff, fast paced and "blood pumping" type of gameplay. I'm just not into this kind of thing much anymore. I prefer simpler aesthetic and gameplay, without the adrenaline rush, shooter aspect. I get Back 4 Blood vibes from it, and that game was also a case of just way too much going on and I wound up hating it, even though I was super excited about it. I even made the OT for it here on GAF.

I dunno, I'm weird lol. For a lot of people those would all be positives 🤷‍♂️ It's just not a game for me. It doesn't look bad by any means though.

Topher

Gold Member
It doesn't look bad it just looks like... too much.

It's a lot of colors and in your face stuff, fast paced and "blood pumping" type of gameplay. I'm just not into this kind of thing much anymore. I prefer simpler aesthetic and gameplay, without the adrenaline rush, shooter aspect. I get Back 4 Blood vibes from it, and that game was also a case of just way too much going on and I wound up hating it, even though I was super excited about it. I even made the OT for it here on GAF.

I dunno, I'm weird lol. For a lot of people those would all be positives 🤷‍♂️ It's just not a game for me. It doesn't look bad by any means though.

I'm not into coop so nothing in that video looks fun to me. You are right. Just "too much". And if this is the essence of the game then I'll probably bail on it really quick, but I'm hopeful there is more stealth and tactics for a slower approach to this guns blazing all the time. I certainly hope there is a better way to take on bosses than to run, shoot, run some more. But I'm reserving judgement on all that until I get to play myself. These IGN guys running around haphazardly throwing and shooting just doesn't come across as a good example to me.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not into coop so nothing in that video looks fun to me. You are right. Just "too much". And if this is the essence of the game then I'll probably bail on it really quick, but I'm hopeful there is more stealth and tactics for a slower approach to this guns blazing all the time. I certainly hope there is a better way to take on bosses than to run, shoot, run some more. But I'm reserving judgement on all that until I get to play myself. These IGN guys running around haphazardly throwing and shooting just doesn't come across as a good example to me.
The IGN person playing the game really was awful and made the game look even less fun.

Having said that, I think that's how most average gamers play games. So -- as bad as it may look -- it's quite accurate to the real-world experience and example of how the game would play out for the majority of people.

Carefully curated and crafted videos where you're lining up enemies for perfect shots and abilities in a timely sequence of combos, on the other hand, are not a good example as they represent a gameplay experience that only the top 2% would end up having.

Topher

Gold Member
The IGN person playing the game really was awful and made the game look even less fun.

Having said that, I think that's how most average gamers play games. So -- as bad as it may look -- it's quite accurate to the real-world experience and example of how the game would play out for the majority of people.

Carefully curated and crafted videos where you're lining up enemies for perfect shots and abilities in a timely sequence of combos, on the other hand, are not a good example as they represent a gameplay experience that only the top 2% would end up having.

I get what you are saying but usually the average players in real-world experiences actually look like they are trying. The people in this video look like some IGN guy said "quick, we need a video. Jump in this game and do random shit for three minutes".

You can string together abilities effortlessly in this game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
well, I am not the one concerned about the direction of this game...Arkane fans are.

More than a few "Arkane fans. . ." are also fine with what they've seen and are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given their track record.

and this video doesn't show immersive/emergent/systems-driven gameplay.

And the other videos - like the long form "This is how you play REDFALL" showcase? We're just ignoring that and the preview videos, and focusing on one video - from IGN of all places - as a "representation" of what the game is going for.

it looks like something created inside the creation suite of Fortnite's

. . .well of COURSE it does.

For some reason I never clocked that Layla could launch people using the phone booth (I certainly hope that's explained at some point; why it is a phone booth I mean) - certainly not enemies. Looks like Karnesis from DL honestly; curious if the skills themselves will be "customizable." Guess we'll see pretty shortly (there's gotta be another preview or deep dive event coming out - though it'll likely just be more hero videos).

. . .also I really hope that cutscene artstyle is in the game for their "cinematics." The ones in DL were fun.

For some reason I never clocked that Layla could launch people using the phone booth (I certainly hope that's explained at some point; why it is a phone booth I mean) - certainly not enemies. Looks like Karnesis from DL honestly; curious if the skills themselves will be "customizable." Guess we'll see pretty shortly (there's gotta be another preview or deep dive event coming out - though it'll likely just be more hero videos).

. . .also I really hope that cutscene artstyle is in the game for their "cinematics." The ones in DL were fun.

I think it's an elevator, not a phone booth.

As for abilities, from what I have seen, every character has 3 abilities with 2 mapped to a bumper each, and an ultimate with RB+LB. All these abilities can be upgraded for damage, area etc but basically remain the same.

It's how you boost other characters is where variety comes from. Eg at start of fight, lyla can send Jacob (who is a sniper) to top of a roof. While Remi can boost electrical damage helping Devinder etc.

How you affect your coop partners is not something I have seen before in games.

More than a few "Arkane fans. . ." are also fine with what they've seen and are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given their track record.
they better deliver an 80+ MC or else the few defenders are not going to be enough to compensate for the overwhelming negativity that is going to ensue.

fatmarco

As much as I'd like this game to be good, it looks like generic shit at the moment. From the art to the gameplay, just looks like rubbish.

Really hoping to be proven wrong though, but as it stands looks like its Starfield and Forza for the year for Xbox.

Also in the IGN clip there is shadow pop-in on the house to the right at around 1:52. And before that, the shadow on the same structure disappears right in front of the player at around 1:48 - 1:49.

HOW is this happening in a game with such mid visuals in 2023 running on a Series X? These kind of graphical issues shouldn't even be happening on a Series S for a game like this. The quality just doesn't look like it's there, not just visually but also in the way the game plays, either.

Let me guess, CUPHEAD was also a terrible game because of that one fella who couldn't get past the tutorial.

How TF do you even make that correlation? Pretty sure he is going off how the gameplay looks in the video, the visuals etc. Everything looks very generic and sterile; Cuphead was the complete OPPOSITE of that and everyone knew it the moment they saw the game in action.

That's probably easy to do if you just make up nonsense about a game. REDFALL isn't and has never been advertised to be anything close to "The Division" least of all with PVP (like where do you even get that).

Honestly the game probably wishes it were 15% of what The Division was because it'd be getting more interest among people than it currently is.

I don't see what is wrong with the footage
other than the IGN guy running around and dying obviously because the red square transition.

y8c1irppgpl51.jpg

It could just be the game looks mediocre and has nothing to do with the fact it's not coming to PS5? People can actually judge a game on its own merits and not part of a console war, you know.

If this were a PS5 exclusive I'd be saying the exact same thing. If it were from a Sony 1P I'd be going in on it EXTRA hard a lot more than I currently am TBH, because I expect higher quality from their 1P as do many folks.

Last edited:
People are bashing the uninspired, generic gameplay (and rightly so), but what's going on with the graphics?

How is this a current-gen exclusive game when there are cross-gen games (HFW, Hogwart's Legacy, CP 2077, DL 2, SM:MM) that look 10x better than this?
I don't think the graphics are really that bad. I get what you are saying, yes, majority of the title looks better. I believe it's just the art-style they choose. More stylistic rather than pushing some insane lighting techniques or whatever else. At the end of the gameplay is what matter, but sadly in Redfall's case that doesn't look too promising either.

Deathloop wasn't a looker either, but yet the game was praised for its gameplay by the critics. I personally never played Deathloop so I can't give my opinion we ith the exception of the visuals. It was also stylized and worked well for it.

I don't believe Arkane is a studio that pushes hardware limitations or anything like that. They seem to strive for more unique and interesting experiences, but this one is looking a bit too generic.

Usually it's The Coalition, Naughty Dog/Guerilla Games that tend to push the graphical departments. Also, this game was originally cross-gen and was coming to PS5 before the purchase as one of the devs confirmed it not too long ago in the interview.

Last edited:

fatmarco

The more I watch the more I see how archaic and lifeless it all is. It plays and animates like a game from 2008.

Then the aesthetics are just so bare, sparse, textureless, polygonless. You could argue it's Arkane's art style, but previous Arkane games felt cohesive and intentional through their level designs and layouts and were always in fantastical locations, whereas this just looks like sparsely placed generic assets placed across a flat map.

It genuinely feels equivalent to something like Grounded (but that's a smaller game with a smaller dev team so it's excusable there).

Top Bottom