• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall: Summoning and Slaying The Rook - IGN First Gameplay

DaGwaphics

I had some decently high hopes for this game but

Will Smith Best Gif GIF

I'm hoping the bosses have a bit more of an AI to them than what is showcased here. Looks like the boss just basically stands around to get shot at. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't care if they've designed this as more of a fun shooter romp than something serious, but you'd still like to have to figure out the right strategy etc. for each boss. Hard to see much of what was going on though since the player kept trying to avoid the action for the most part.

As always, I'll reserve judgement until I've given it a go myself.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think the graphics are really that bad. I get what you are saying, yes, majority of the title looks better. I believe it's just the art-style they choose. More stylistic rather than pushing some insane lighting techniques or whatever else. At the end of the gameplay is what matter, but sadly in Redfall's case that doesn't look too promising either.

Deathloop wasn't a looker either, but yet the game was praised for its gameplay by the critics. I personally never played Deathloop so I can't give my opinion we ith the exception of the visuals. It was also stylized and worked well for it.

I don't believe Arkane is a studio that pushes hardware limitations or anything like that. They seem to strive for more unique and interesting experiences, but this one is looking a bit too generic.
Arkane art style, while unique, can look sparse and overly simplistic.

No, not the art style (as Arkane does go for a more stylized art style, which is totally fine), I was talking about the graphics and visuals, e.g., low-quality textures, almost absent ambient occlusion, poor animation, very mid lighting and low shadows, etc.

Since it's a current-gen exclusive game, I am not seeing anything that couldn't have been done on last-gen hardware. Not trying to be too harsh, but from a visual/tech point of view, this looks like an early Xbox One/PS4 generation game to me.

I hope this is an older build (which I very much doubt) and that the final version has improved visuals. 🤞
Usually it's The Coalition, Naughty Dog/Guerilla Games that tend to push the graphical departments. Also, this game was originally cross-gen and was coming to PS5 before the purchase as one of the devs confirmed it not too long ago in the interview.
I don't think it was ever a cross-gen game. I remember the interview about the PS5 version, but that would have only made it a multiplatform game, not a cross-gen game (i.e., PS4/Xbox One).

Foilz

Banned
Graphically it's not 2023 levels but that shouldn't matter if that's how they designed it. 80% of the great games on PC have 2014 level graphics and they are some of the most popular games available on all platforms.
The main issue I see with the visuals is that because they are of a "darker" tone it makes everything look lifeless.

Gameplay wise the games looks very boring. I know it's not "left for dead and more like far cry" but it definitely seems like a back for blood/L4D clone with vamps. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't for the fact that this style of gameplay is flat out boring nowadays.

These type of games want to be mmo lite and that's the problem, they don't have enough to identify exactly what the game is, how it's supposed to play and it's mechanics. It will probably be better than back for blood but I'm sure it will see the same fate as b4b. The multiplayer community will ditch it in a month

edited due to fat thumbs

Last edited:
No, not the art style (as Arkane does go for a more stylized art style, which is totally fine), I was talking about the graphics and visuals, e.g., low-quality textures, almost absent ambient occlusion, poor animation, very mid lighting and low shadows, etc.

Since it's a current-gen exclusive game, I am not seeing anything that couldn't have been done on last-gen hardware. Not trying to be too harsh, but from a visual/tech point of view, this looks like an early Xbox One/PS4 generation game to me.

I hope this is an older build (which I very much doubt) and that the final version has improved visuals. 🤞

I don't think it was ever a cross-gen game. I remember the interview about the PS5 version, but that would have only made it a multiplatform game, not a cross-gen game (i.e., PS4/Xbox One).
My apologies I for some reason thought "multiplatform" when you said "cross-gen"

Imtjnotu

Graphically it's not 2023 levels but that shouldn't matter if that's how they designed it. 80% of the greta games on PC have 2014 level graphics and theya re some of the most popular games available on all platforms.
The maintenance issue I see with the visuals are that because they are "darker" in tone it makes everything look lifeless.

Gameplay wise the games looks very boring. I know it's not "left for dead and more far cry" but it definitely seems like a back for blood/L4D clone with vamps. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't for the fact that this style of gameplay is flat out boring nowadays.

These type of games want to be mmo lite and that's the problem, they don't have enough to identify exactly what the game is, how it's supposed to play and it's mechanics. It will probably be better than back for blood but I'm sure it will see the same fate as b4b. The multiplayer community will ditch it in a month
the graphics are fine. the enemy AI is the real issue.

DaGwaphics

How in the world are gaming journalists always so terrible at playing games?

Anyways, I loved Prey, and also enjoyed Deathloop, so I'm definitely going to reserve my judgement for playing the game. On the other hand, this video does the game absolutely no service.

It's weird when you'd think this would be such a big part of what they do. I'm hoping they weren't showcasing it on noob/easy mode, as that can basically foobar the substance of any game.

Went ahead and watched it. Idk what all the negativity is about. Guns look great to me, especially the pistols. It’s hard to judge the gameplay when I don’t know shit about the powers being used or gameplay mechanics at play.

I typically take any of these co-op game videos with a grain of salt because one of two things always seem to happen. One or more of the people playing seem like they don’t have a clue what to do or what is going on and it makes the entire sequence look worse, which is what is happening here. Or you could have a case like IGN with Evolve where their previews were all done at cool press events where they’re all near one another and it makes the game seem like a super casual fun co-op experience when the reality was the exact opposite and you had to rely on near perfect play and communication to beat good monster users.

Luckily this is coming to GamePass and we can all just play it. It’s Arkane, it’ll be great. I’m going to dive in SP and maybe do co-op down the line.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Bad showing for the game, but I’m not going to sit here and pretend this is a good representation of the final product, nor can I render a definitive verdict on the game - which I still have faith will be good because Arkane is really good.

Also noticed there aren’t many measured or balanced takes here - SHOCKING! lots of system warring going on here with the usual suspects.

1zuWKR9.gif

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Went ahead and watched it. Idk what all the negativity is about. Guns look great to me, especially the pistols. It’s hard to judge the gameplay when I don’t know shit about the powers being used or gameplay mechanics at play.

I typically take any of these co-op game videos with a grain of salt because one of two things always seem to happen. One or more of the people playing seem like they don’t have a clue what to do or what is going on and it makes the entire sequence look worse, which is what is happening here. Or you could have a case like IGN with Evolve where their previews were all done at cool press events where they’re all near one another and it makes the game seem like a super casual fun co-op experience when the reality was the exact opposite and you had to rely on near perfect play and communication to beat good monster users.

Luckily this is coming to GamePass and we can all just play it. It’s Arkane, it’ll be great. I’m going to dive in SP and maybe do co-op down the line.
rook runs in slow motion for some reason.

rook stops at every doorway and just sort of sits there for a few seconds while eating bullets.

enemy drone characters just stood there with question marks above his head while bullets go flying 50 yards away

enemy takes a clip to the back and is still shooting across the yard and never once turns around to shoot back at the player shooting at him

bullet sponges everywhere lol

just go to 2:19 minute mark in the video. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ENEMY PIG MASK DOING LOL

Last edited:

I think it will be a good game - what struck me as off compared to other videos was A. I didn’t like all the numbers coming off the enemy and the red outline and stuff B. The online co op stuff just is not for me and the guy running around setting down little lights or whatever - I dunno just seemed odd to me and C. Didn’t really understand what this rook character was supposed to be doing, didn’t seem all that dangerous

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Looks like shit lmao. Arkane is mid tier studio at best. Deathpool was fucking trash.
No Arkane is a very good developer, Dishonored and Prey and Arx Fatalis, and other games they have made in the past are all good games with great first person gameplay. They have a lot of talent for level design and they create memorable worlds.
I dont like their new direction, this game is not typical Arkane, this is something new and either a mistake by them or unfortunate experiment or probably they have gone downhill, but Arkane was never a mid tier studio.

Because when they made mad shit like Dishonored 2 nobody bought it now we have a left4dead clone with vampires. Still gonna give it a try but yeah.
It's actually not a Left 4 Dead clone whatsoever. The devs compare it to Far Cry with Vampires more than anything if you look up some previous info. Initial impression was that people did think it was a Left 4 Dead wannabe for Arkane but with vampires instead of zombies. However, that is NOT the case. I can see how people get confused though because the marketing was off since day 1.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Of course I have. The first video was horrible. The later ones were improvements. This one is shit, but not because of graphics.

But to say it was cut down for Game Pass is just made up bullshit.
Just look at the trends, man. Halo Infinite, and other Xbox exclusives released this gen so far. Do they look like AAA to you? Infinite released incomplete and chopped up, and everything else is a bunch of AA games.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Went ahead and watched it. Idk what all the negativity is about.

The only real insight I get from this IGN First is that somehow THIS was what they came up with as a presumable leadoff to a month of showcasing the game. I've always wondered just how well they were going to bring the freedom of their other games into this, and that we didn't get a look at that and whether it is able to deliver in a much more open setting than ARKANE's other titles, and instead get. . .this, is worrisome.

That doesn't mean that I'm just going to throw out ARKANE's entire development history or the fact that MANY (if not all) of their games tend to "show" poorly, but I've all enjoyed (even DL, which is an ostensible puzzle game tarted up as an FPS) when I've taken a ride.

Exactly the kind of measured takes that move conversation forward. A true scholar!

I was about to say this.

"A true (console) warrior hunts from the shadows. . ."

This game is going to have a really rough time, especially releasing so close to Diablo 4. That's the live service loot game that will dominate this year.

How TF do you even make that correlation? Pretty sure he is going off how the gameplay looks in the video, the visuals etc. Everything looks very generic and sterile; Cuphead was the complete OPPOSITE of that and everyone knew it the moment they saw the game in action.

Honestly the game probably wishes it were 15% of what The Division was because it'd be getting more interest among people than it currently is.

y8c1irppgpl51.jpg

It could just be the game looks mediocre and has nothing to do with the fact it's not coming to PS5? People can actually judge a game on its own merits and not part of a console war, you know.

If this were a PS5 exclusive I'd be saying the exact same thing. If it were from a Sony 1P I'd be going in on it EXTRA hard a lot more than I currently am TBH, because I expect higher quality from their 1P as do many folks.
If you expect more from Sony exclusives then how come almost no Sony exclusive have online multiplayer, co-op, etc. Most Sony exclusives are brain dead press x to win simulators.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just look at the trends, man. Halo Infinite, and other Xbox exclusives released this gen so far. Do they look like AAA to you? Infinite released incomplete and chopped up, and everything else is a bunch of AA games.

Halo Infinite was a poorly managed game. There are no "trends" that say that has anything to do with Game Pass. Studio management, perhaps.

No Arkane is a very good developer, Dishonored and Prey and Arx Fatalis, and other games they have made in the past are all good games with great first person gameplay. They have a lot of talent for level design and they create memorable worlds.
I dont like their new direction, this game is not typical Arkane, this is something new and either a mistake by them or unfortunate experiment or probably they have gone downhill, but Arkane was never a mid tier studio.
that's what i'm going with. whether 'unfortunate' or not has yet to be seen. deathloop was also an experiment, & tho it took me a while to warm to it, when it finally clicked, i really enjoyed it. so i'll still be holding off on any judgment based on any video (no matter how bad) until release...

It's actually not a Left 4 Dead clone whatsoever. The devs compare it to Far Cry with Vampires more than anything if you look up some previous info. Initial impression was that people did think it was a Left 4 Dead wannabe for Arkane but with vampires instead of zombies. However, that is NOT the case. I can see how people get confused though because the marketing was off since day 1.
Oh I know its open world blah blah but was refering to this recent ign footage. Its like fighting one of the boss zombies in left 4 dead.

Ansphn

Halo Infinite was a poorly managed game. There are no "trends" that say that has anything to do with Game Pass. Studio management, perhaps.
You'll see. If you don't see the early trends, you'll start to see it after Redfall. COD will also fall into that category if the deal goes through. Microsoft is in the business of making money. 25 million subscribers = in game purchase low budget AA games. When they get 100 million subs, that's when we will start seeing in game purchase AAA games. I just don't see them ever reaching that sub though. They will go 3rd party by then and get rid of Gamepass.

Top Bottom