• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall: Summoning and Slaying The Rook - IGN First Gameplay

L*][*N*K

Banned
That is how game journalists play games, these people found a way to make money off something they are terrible at

This guy made a video to counter the bad play of the ING guy.

Working around the clock, our dear friend...
M9YOMan.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Who said this?

Probably no one. I think the game looks better than this video and I'm looking forward to playing it, but at no point have I or seen anyone else say "GOTY contender". I'm just hoping for a good game. Not every game has to be 9/10, GOTY, blah blah. I've had plenty of fun with games that were 7-ish and all be forgotten when the GOTY lists are revealed.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Same issues in this clip.

From 00:03 to 00:07, the enemy is standing on the left side and hasn't shot a bullet. He is not even moving a muscle, just standing still.

How will the gameplay be "fun" if the AI acts like this? Forget about outsmarting players with complex strategies and flanking, etc. (like TLOU 2 or Division 2 AI enemies), if they can't even shoot while you are in their eyesight.

That's my biggest question right now: the game is graphically underwhelming; it is a current-gen exclusive. And if the processing power is not being used to make the game visually appealing, where is all the processing power going?

Banned
Same issues in this clip.

From 00:03 to 00:07, the enemy is standing on the left side and hasn't shot a bullet. He is not even moving a muscle, just standing still.

How will the gameplay be "fun" if the AI acts like this? Forget about outsmarting players with complex strategies and flanking, etc. (like TLOU 2 or Division 2 AI enemies), if they can't even shoot while you are in their eyesight.

That's my biggest question right now: the game is graphically underwhelming; it is a current-gen exclusive. And if the processing power is not being used to make the game visually appealing, where is all the processing power going?

this could be running in Game Journalist mode... aka, braindead difficulty.
if you play God of War Ragnarök or Ratchet and Clank on anything below hard you'll see that shit too.
like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart on normal difficulty is so braindead easy that you can beat almost all encounters by spamming your melee attack... which is why I always recommend people should play it on the highest difficulty setting to actually have fun combat.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I'll play it on Game Pass because the price I pay is the same either way, but I have a feeling I won't like it. Just looks.... shit..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What did I just read???
This sounds exactly like someone didn’t like the game but doesn’t want to piss off the publisher.
Also, he’s a terrible writer.
Yeah, I'm totally expecting a 80-85 MC just because.

Halo Infinite has an 87 MC and got a 10/10 Perfect score from outlets like Windows Central.

No publication wants to piss off Microsoft.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Xbox needs to make 1 billion+ monthly for gamepass to work? Are you serious?
I didn't say to work. I'm saying to have consistent AAA games and for Microsoft to be happy about profit. How much you think Microsoft makes from Windows? Microsoft is one of the wealthiest companies in the world. They know and expect top tier profit margins.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
No, I did read it.
Oh…you were being “funny”.

Nope. Not funny at all. I don't think you read it. If you did, you've somehow turned an effusively positive preview into evidence of some sinister (continued) influence that publishers and developers have on journalists (not saying there aren't sticky entanglements).

. . .which is good for folks who have never given this game a fair shot. Can't lose. If the game reviewers poorly, well, you already called it and said as much. And if it reviews well, that's just clear evidence of game journos being compromised (because of course it is).

I made it down to 'Vampire boyfriend' and purple elevator. I tried.

The game sounds even better than it looks.

Well, at least you "tried." Boy, the launch of this game is going to be something else indeed.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Nope. Not funny at all. I don't think you read it. If you did, you've somehow turned an effusively positive preview into evidence of some sinister (continued) influence that publishers and developers have on journalists (not saying there aren't sticky entanglements).

. . .which is good for folks who have never given this game a fair shot. Can't lose. If the game reviewers poorly, well, you already called it and said as much. And if it reviews well, that's just clear evidence of game journos being compromised (because of course it is).

Well, at least you "tried." Boy, the launch of this game is going to be something else indeed.
Lol. Yes I did read it. No, I’m not convinced by the gushing tone. Perhaps “didn’t like the game” was too strong. It sounds like the writer wasn’t totally enamoured with the game but wanted to come across as positive.

There is no “losing” or by inference “winning”, at least not on my part. I’m looking at that article as it stands by itself and not delving into conspiracy theories about “corrupt” journos etc.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Does anyone else on Gaf see this pattern? A game is coming out, it looks a bit shitty. You say it looks a bit shitty and some rabid dog shows it's teeth whilst vehemently screaming 'it'll be great'

It comes out, it's a bit shitty..

Saints Row
Predator hunting grounds
Forspoken
Back 4 blood

Give it up ANDS, it just looks a bit shitty (y)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Lol. Yes I did read it. No, I’m not convinced by the gushing tone. Perhaps “didn’t like the game” was too strong. It sounds like the writer wasn’t totally enamoured with the game but wanted to come across as positive.

There is no “losing” or by inference “winning”, at least not on my part. I’m looking at that article as it stands by itself and not delving into conspiracy theories about “corrupt” journos etc.

Based. On. What? The effusiveness? You say you aren't delving into hacky "ethics in gaming" schtick, but literally haven't offered ANY evidence for your perspective other than "the writer doesn't want to piss off MS. . ." which reads as hacky "ethics in gaming" schtick.

Does anyone else on Gaf see this pattern? A game is coming out, it looks a bit shitty. You say it looks a bit shitty and some rabid dog shows it's teeth whilst vehemently screaming 'it'll be great'

By all means, point out where I have said this game will be - without caveats - "great."

. . .and boohoo, someone pushes back on your drive-by hot-take based on your "no read" of a preview. You'll get over it.

Previews were already very decent, so I can't imagine this not being a good game
Game journalists are generally much more lenient when it comes to previews. And the previews weren't glowing. Especially when game journalists are flown out by Microsoft and given time with producers and the game's director while previewing the game. It's harder to heavily critique an unfinished product in that environment

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Based. On. What? The effusiveness? You say you aren't delving into hacky "ethics in gaming" schtick, but literally haven't offered ANY evidence for your perspective other than "the writer doesn't want to piss off MS. . ." which reads as hacky "ethics in gaming" schtick.
…ok…

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game journalists are generally much more lenient when it comes to previews. And the previews weren't glowing. Especially when game journalists are flown out by Microsoft and given time with producers and the game's director while previewing the game. It's harder to heavily critique an unfinished product in that environment

Which is why they generally don't write their preview scripts with UNCLE PHIL looking over their shoulders.

. . .honestly wild how we don't get these same reactions to games folks are looking forward to but only games that have a certain, gosh I just can't quite put my finger on it, quality that the tinfoil starts crinkling.

About the quality of response I expected.

Fuelling the MS Vs Sony "exclusives" warZ all over the internet brother... 😁

PS : Game looks utterly mediocre, from gfx to art-direction, gameplay and A.I , and yet, rabid fanboys : " It's only a preview ! It's an Arkane game, it'll be good, you're all Sony ponies ! ".
Come release day, if game proves to be utterly mediocre and a forgettable experience indeed, same rabid fanboys will go : " It's a good game , you're all Sony ponies, muh game diversity, go and play the usual 3rd person gaems you Sony ponies lol ".

I mean, you can't win when there's brand zealotry involved, in fact, no one wins, truth/fact : this game would still be shat on even if it was multiplatform since it looks absolutely soulless, it's really that simple.
This isn't politics or religion, it's a fucking videogame ffs, there's no "hidden agenda", it's just a mediocre product and people are expressing their opinions on it, that's it.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll get rave reviews from the 11 places that review it, windows central, generation xbox, xbox addict, stevivor, xbox tavern, mondo xbox, xbox achievements, pure xbox, the xbox hub, true achievements and of course IGN.
You think this game will only get about 11 reviews?
Lol how goalposts move among fanboys. Before it was legit criticism that Ms was releasing poor quality first party, now that it’s been good the last several years it’s “the reviewers are biased Xbox fanboys” or just going on about console sales

Top Bottom