• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Really enjoyed that. I saw Rocketeer as a kid and new it was awesome. We even had the 3d comic book, I think it was given out at the theater

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yes that would be cool. keep in mind these guys entire thing is exploitation, b-movies, etc. blacksploitation is entirely in that wheelhouse.

The Rocketeer has a fascinating history. one that almost feels like it is repeating lol. a 1982 comic book that was originally going to be a more adult trilogy, turned into a Disney film to sell toys.

Stevens, Bilson and De Meo began to consider making The Rocketeer as a low-budget film, shot in black-and-white and funded by independent investors. Their plan was to make the film a complete homage to Republic's Commando Cody serials, and use a cast largely associated with character actors. However, that same year, the trio approached William Dear to direct/co-write The Rocketeer, and they eventually dropped the low-budget idea. Bilson, De Meo, and Dear kept the comic book's basic plot intact, but fleshed it out to include a Hollywood setting and a climactic battle against a Nazi Zeppelin. They also tweaked Cliff's girlfriend to avoid comparisons to Bettie Page (Stevens' original inspiration), changing her name from Betty to Jenny and her profession from nude model to Hollywood extra (a change also made to make the film more family friendly). Dear proceeded to transform the climax from a submarine into a Zeppelin setpiece.

Stevens, Bilson, De Meo, and Dear began to pitch The Rocketeer in 1986 to the major film studios but were turned down. "This was 1986, long before Batman or Dick Tracy or anything similar", Stevens explained. "In those days, no studio was interested at all in an expensive comic book movie. We got there about three years too early for our own good!" Walt Disney Studios eventually accepted The Rocketeer because they believed the film had toyetic potential and appeal for merchandising. The Rocketeer was set to be released through the studio's Touchstone Pictures label; Stevens, Bilson, De Meo, and Dear all signed a contract which would permit them to make a trilogy of Rocketeer films. However, Disney studio chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg switched the film to a Walt Disney Pictures release. According to Stevens, "immediately, Betty and anything else 'adult' went right out with the bathwater. They really tried to shoehorn it into a kiddie property so they could sell toys. All they really wanted at the end of the day, was the name".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocketeer_(film)#Development

Last edited:
yes that would be cool. keep in mind these guys entire thing is exploitation, b-movies, etc. blacksploitation is entirely in that wheelhouse.

The Rocketeer has a fascinating history. one that almost feels like it is repeating lol. a 1982 comic book that was originally going to be a more adult trilogy, turned into a Disney film to sell toys.

The Rocketeer is a great movie, however I do wish they had kept more of the sexy elements.

They mention diversity in this review more so than any other Shazam review I have read/seen. Not that it's talked about too much, or harped on or anything, just couldn't help but notice that.

Does the cast of the foster family match the comics?

Xiaoki

The Shazam family are exact duplicates of their comic book counterparts. The movie 100% nailed how they look and act.
the-shazam-family-in-justice-league-21-illustrated-by-gary-frank.jpeg

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
LOL I am watching a playlist of all the Nerd Crew Podcasts and it's crazy how funny these guys are. Parody completely on point.
It made me wish I watched all the bad channels they're doing the parodies of so I could get it on a deeper level. I had to look up some mashup videos one night to see the comparisons to other peoples' channels and was shocked by how close the mocking was to the reality :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PrCat88

"It broke new ground. We have to let the past die as The Last Jedi said. But how excited are we to see Lando and Palpatine return!?"

Why have they slowed so down on Best of The Worst episodes? There's been a grand total of 3 episodes so far this year, it's almost May.

I hope everything's ok, maybe it was just the infamous winter they had.

I miss the pace they had in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah I need my BOTW fix. Love it so much, but the output has been low this year. But they did like 3 episodes in December didn’t they? So I was spoilt. Anything they touch is gold in my book, so I’m grateful for anything from them :)

PSlayer

Yeah I need my BOTW fix. Love it so much, but the output has been low this year. But they did like 3 episodes in December didn’t they? So I was spoilt. Anything they touch is gold in my book, so I’m grateful for anything from them :)

Mike is probably wasting all that patreon money o booze as we speak.

I’m actually really generally curious to see if they liked the movie or not, genuinely. I think they will praise first 75 percent of movie w d probably criticize the “just another big CGI battle” ending

I think they will criticize the time travel plot(they have a history of disliking time travel gimmicks) and how messy the story will be for the next movies thanks to that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I know this is a couple years old but this remains maybe my favorite RLM video

The Prometheus one is still the best!
why wouldn't he? Any drama?
There were unverified allegations against Max Landis of sexual impropriety that never materialized with anything. The allegations were basically "heard from a friend that heard it from a friend" and linking these up with stories where he was either an asshole or did something that they didn't agree with. There were some suggestions that when the allegations first came out that RLM might separate themselves from association with them. Then again he might have been the person that got them acquainted with Macaulay Culkin.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The movie sounds interesting. lol at some of the comments from reviewers that said the movie was sexist.

One of the main points of the film is that the Hollywood industry chews up young actresses and spits them out. It's a commentary.

Last edited:
They still haven't picked up the pace on BOTW, it's one of the things I dislike about 2019.

I really wonder why they've slowed so down, maybe they just needed a breather, that's fine, I just hope this isn't the way it is for good, with videos only once in a blue moon.

Almost everything I follow on Youtube has slowed way down in 2019, it's weird, I wonder if there's some reason for that related to Youtube itself or if it's just something in the air.

MetalAlien

Banned
Liquid Jay is back

I try to respect these guys I really do but their movie history has HUGE fucking gaps. They talk about amazing movies like they barely remember them. Streets of Fire bitches.... know it!

They do that a lot. Talk about Robocop or something and then act like they barely know anything about part 2 or 3. Are you movie nerds or not? Do you even lift bro?

Last edited:
Top Bottom