• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedSunGamer - Japanese Gaming Life

Kaboris

Neo Member
が~~~~~ん!

So sad to see this news. Was a great ride. So many fond memories. I remember riding my bike to Martin's place 3 years ago to play games/record podcasts on Thursdays (new game day!!!) straight after work. We always stopped for food at Mos burger/KFC/Oushou (super greasy Chinese food) and drinks Don Quijote (Japanese Wall-mart) that put me in a food coma just before recording the podcast.

After I moved to Tokyo, we switched to recording on Skype, and Martin branched out and scooped up a lot of new fellow gamers livin' in Japan to record casts together. It was so awesome hanging with you guys on the casts and meeting up at TGS every year.

The life-work-play-RSG balance was never an easy thing but I feel blessed to have been a part of the crew from the beginning, recording in Martin's gaming dojo. It put me in touch with so many excellent people.

It has always been a forlorn hope that someday we could record under a slightly different format that doesn't involve regular freight-train length podcasts.

Anyroad, thanks so much for tuning in. mantears

Steve
@Steve_RedSunG (not changing my Twitter handle ><;)

kiyomi

Okay guys after a lot of thought I have decided to end RedSunGamer as a podcast, I feel that there isn't enough interest and I could use the time and energy towards something more productive.

I would like to thank you all for listening.

Thank you very much for all the great podcasts you've provided, no other podcast filled my own need for a podcast created by people living and experiencing life in Japan and playing almost exclusively Japanese games. I will be downloading all the old podcasts to ensure I have you guys eternally on my hard drive.
that sounds a little dirty, lol

Some of the stories you guys have shared have been amazing, the episode where you spent the last section of the podcast talking about various bugs and how to get rid of them was both amazing and gross.

To anyone and everyone who involved themselves in RSG, a massive thank you for all the informative entertainment you've given us.

Riposte

&#12364;&#65374;&#65374;&#65374;&#65374;&#65374;&#12435;&#65281;

So sad to see this news. Was a great ride. So many fond memories. I remember riding my bike to Martin's place 3 years ago to play games/record podcasts on Thursdays (new game day!!!) straight after work. We always stopped for food at Mos burger/KFC/Oushou (super greasy Chinese food) and drinks Don Quijote (Japanese Wall-mart) that put me in a food coma just before recording the podcast.

I liked RSG's whole history and the people who came on later, but I consider this era special. Seemed like two dudes (with occasional guests IIRC) just hanging out (late into the night, it actually felt passed midnight whenever you guys haggardly ended it) with enough passion for the material to put out something that was better and longer than what podcasts with more people or professionals were doing. The little anecdote you've said here matches up perfectly with what I imagined.

The ground-level games-first mentality with various personality idiosyncrasies (I'll particularly miss some of the ridiculous, but colorful comparisons/imagery you've used Steve) made it a very endearing podcast, especially when its peers are often jaded and overly concerned with the politics of the industry. I always appreciated how you guys could talk about a single game (that would often get passed over by other podcasts, Japanese gaming and all that) for an hour or longer without ever approaching "head up own ass" territory. I also liked that there was very little of an echo chamber. Disagreements were had and, despite each person having their seemingly unmoving biases, there wasn't a rush to fall in line with whatever the person who was talking as saying. Sometimes, minds were even opened: the Miku saga lol.

While this turn of events isn't entirely surprising given the difficulties with and outside the podcast as of late, there was a run you guys had going that was truly impressive. Weeks of solid 3-4+ hour content and entirely as enthusiasts. Anyone with at least a passing interest in both Japanese games and podcasts should have been following you guys at that point. If you guys ever give it another shot, I'll be the first to listen. I'm thinking this podcast is pretty irreplaceable.

Necrovex

Okay guys after a lot of thought I have decided to end RedSunGamer as a podcast, I feel that there isn't enough interest and I could use the time and energy towards something more productive.

I would like to thank you all for listening.

Nooooooooo!

Who will I listen to as I do my runs? Who will I listen to as I do my lifts? My entire exercise regime is ruined. I'm just going to sit at home, eat ice cream, and become super unhealthy now. :-(

Thanks for the years of fantastic podcasting. I'll miss DJ's groovy British accent.

DCharlie

Banned
It really is sad that RSG has run aground and i take this opportunity to express a level of responsibility - whilst i was only on two podcasts i felt that i was representative of how our lives were progressing : with work and kids and other commitments it was becoming harder and harder to find the time - and i felt that my wish to be involved was dragging on the project a fair bit.

I have nothing but great things to say about everyone associated with RSG - i hope it isn't the end but rather a break until things get a little less crazy for all those that could be involved.

#salute!

Completely agree with DC - was only on it a couple of times, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. Best thing was being let in to the hive of scum and villainy that is the inner RSG circle haha! ;p

Man, I'm bummed that the podcast is ending but I completely understand. I'm also a husband, father and full time worker. Time is precious.

I had hopes that the Puppeteer interview was the start of something new for RSG. It was absolutely fantastic. Thank you again, DJ Miz. And thank you to all the other participants of the show. I loves every minute.

It was a wild ride listeners, and I appreciate you all putting up with me going on about Falcom games and RPGs.

The reality is that many of us have extremely busy lives, either with families or multiple work commitments, on top of social engagements as well. Doing a massive podcast every weekend (for some folks their only time off) is hard when you're all over the country and sometimes even the world.

It was absolutely amazing though, and I can't thank each and every one of you enough for making my time on RSG awesome sauce.

Soulhouf

So, any questions for the next episode?

Wait, what?
OMG this is megaton.

Ok, here is my question: What is the current state of Game Centers in Japan? Is there still some interesting exclusive arcade games that come out these days?
Speaking of game centers, are you excited about GameCenter CX The Movie?
Last one: what happened to the Shin Megami Tensei soundtrack? It's been months since the game's release and still nothing about the OST.

WIIIIIIZE FWOM YOWW GWAVE!!!

OK, question time: how is the GET HYPE about the Persona announcement going over there? It's causing insanity here amongst the fanbase.

bunbun777

I knew this podcast was too good to put to bed. Back to the basics I hope of good game talk and relaxed discussion mixed with cultural insight and friendly exchange of ideas.

ChryZ

62.jpg

http://redsungamer.com/site/62/ said:
Back from the dead, DJmizuhara and Cheesemeister3k bring back a new episode of RSG. We discuss Sony’s new hardware offering, as well as Nintendo’s latest masterpiece. New show, new time frame, new way of thinking. Keep it locked, keep it RSG.

Time Stamps

00:02:17 Vita2000
00:08:38 VitaTV
00:14:01 PS4
00:29:57 Resogun
00:37:49 Flower
00:44:30 Knack
00:47:36 SM3DW
01:53:29 Q’s
01:00:55 Wrap up

Run Time 01:01:33

Subscribe via iTunes, RSS or right-click to DOWNLOAD

ChryZ

Just finished it, the changes make perfect sense. The shorter format should work in favor for all involved, committing to 3-5 hour recording sessions was sorta insane. Maybe it would be a good idea to record even shorter segments with smaller groups and then combine them into one podcast, magazine style. Supplementing with western games while keeping the focus on a japanese in general is also most welcome and should help to keep things interesting.

Didn't expect this "corpse" to resurrect so quickly, lol. Great episode and looking forward to listen RSG every week with both of you always there (I hope).

Soulhouf

Just finished listening.
I really like this new format if you manage to keep the show in a weekly basis.
It would be also good to alternate between game impressions episodes, life in Japan and Zasshi Time (I miss that section).

Keep up the good work!

frequency

Glad to see this is back. I'll listen to it in the next couple days.

I don't mind the podcast being shorter. I don't even mind if it won't be every week. As long as we get something occasionally, I'm happy.

I saw RSG streaming on Twitch about a week ago (just setting up PS4 I think with AC4) and got really excited as it was a sign of RSG activity. So seeing the podcast back is wonderful.

Jomjom

Banned
Really like the new format (really liked the old one too) because I still feel like you guys went through a lot of topics and hopefully it's not so stressful. I was always surprised how you guys were able to do 4 hour podcasts for long so without burning out.

ChryZ

63.jpg

http://redsungamer.com/site/63/ said:
DJmizuhara finishes a game, Cheesy get spied on and Jacek lives up to his Hashtag name #2DayJacek. New show, new time frame, new way of thinking. Keep it locked, keep it RSG.

Time Stamps

01:11 Knack
16:25 XboxOne
21:30 Killer Instinct
31:26 More WiiU
37:06 God Eater 2
55:08 FF13-3 LR

Run Time 01:11:58

Subscribe via iTunes, RSS or right-click to DOWNLOAD

Top Bottom