• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Refurbished Wii Us are SOLD OUT on Nintendo's site

I'm tempted to buy one myself, but I fear they are pulling a new 3DS on me.
The 3DS revision took over 3 years.

Looking at NIntendo's past and trends with home consoles there's no precedent of they realising an improved console model near of before the system's midlife.

On the contrary the newer models take features away from the console. And giving the abysmall performance of the console is a bit doubtful there's a lot of R&D going at Nintendo in regards to new Wii U hardware.

Hopefully what we can get eventually is an Gamepad streamlining or refinement of the design.

So if you are indeed interested in the console there's no point on waiting more.

Lucent

I bought a Wii U at launch, but it had been out awhole year and there was absolutely nothing out for it really. So I traded it to get an x1with my ps4. But now the Wii U has built up a very nice library. At least with first party. I'm probably gonna wait til these come back in stock and/or when X/Zelda come out. Will have so much to play on there.

cacildo

I may be a rare type of Nintendo fan that isn't swayed by MK or SSB at all, i like them fine, but nothing major, my fave Nintendo games are the mainline ones such as SMG and WW, DKCR and so on... anyways good on Nintendo one of these days i'll cave in and purchase a Wii U.

To be fair i dont really like Smash too. But its so packed with nintendo stuff thats impossible to resist

Yesterday i was watching the direct and i mention to my wife "To be fair, i dont really like smash all that much" and she said "WHAT? You played the one on Wii for years! I got sick of that depressing opening music!!"

(I dont agree with her in the "depressing music" on brawl. But i must admit that the New Smash Bros Theme is one billion times better. Its a lot more exciting, the trailer fits the names of each franchise... its wonderful)

what was the price any way?

I am getting a WiiU for that Smash greatness but with the external memory + the Smash bundle with the adapter and the GC controller + other GC controllers + y cable + the console.... it is around 630+ dollars

:/

I can afford it but it would be nice to save some extra dough for other games

Hubb

what was the price any way?

I am getting a WiiU for that Smash greatness but with the external memory + the Smash bundle with the adapter and the GC controller + other GC controllers + y cable + the console.... it is around 630+ dollars

:/

I can afford it but it would be nice to save some extra dough for other games

I believe they were going for 200

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is there a better or similar alternative to the refurbs on their website? I called a local store here in town and all they had were the $300 models. Then I looked at GameStop's website and they a used refurb on sale for $289 for a bundle with 3 games. LOL They aren't free games.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-wii-u/systems?nav=28-xu0,131b0-c4-50

And their standard used for $259.99 I don't see spending $60 extra when Nintendo just needs to restock. It's a Zombi U model too. That game is $20 at Walmart.

Is there a better or similar alternative to the refurbs on their website? I called a local store here in town and all they had were the $300 models. Then I looked at GameStop's website and they a used refurb on sale for $289 for a bundle with 3 games. LOL They aren't free games.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-wii-u/systems?nav=28-xu0,131b0-c4-50

And their standard used for $259.99 I don't see spending $60 extra when Nintendo just needs to restock. It's a Zombi U model too. That game is $20 at Walmart.

Just wait for a restock, this is not the first time they have been sold out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Now people can START BUYING them at the store.

I can't believe I'm buying a refurb. I use to look down on refurbs after working for GS a long time ago. I was like "ptshh, refurbs are cheap models that are still probably broken". I'd press F5 to refurb something and it was like sending it to the trash.

Nintendo's boxes are nice, plus they have that sticker on them. I remember when GS sold PS2's, Xbox's and GC's. They each had their own colored box and you'd get all the nice stickers covering everything.

Their handheld refurbs always came back in plastic covers from GS.

I would sure trust Nintendo with their warranty.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've bought a PS2 from Cowboom for $25 before, was basically brand new.

That's good news to hear. I bet there's probably a handful of bad stories too, but there's a chance everywhere you go.

LOT_39768233_1.jpg

How did it get so many scratches? This is just one of the "fair" models on the site.

That looks horrible.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
$269.99 w/ free shipping @ Ebay via Buy .com

Wii U 32GB Black Deluxe Set w/ Super Mario 3D World & Nintendo Land

We will probably see slightly better deals closer to BF.

That's a good deal. 269 of them were sold in 24 hours.

I bought o laptop from them and was working fine, it has scratches and scuffs thought, you have 30 days to return if you aren't happy

Yeah? I have this thing where I don't like it when people treat the body of their device like it's a soccer ball. I do understand what it's like when it works properly. That's the most important aspect.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's their description of fair..!

The black case always gives off every aspect of friction. They could of moved it from a dresser, to an entertainment center, or to their bedroom, but I'd still reconsider based off all those scratches. You open up a brand new console and it looks mint.

malfcn

That's good news to hear. I bet there's probably a handful of bad stories too, but there's a chance everywhere you go.

LOT_39768233_1.jpg

How did it get so many scratches? This is just one of the "fair" models on the site.

That looks horrible.

Without being too philosophical, but I sometimes ponder the upon the story things like this must have endured..

soxxx

Banned

LOT_39768233_1.jpg

That looks horrible.

I hate to say it but the Wii U is a scratch machine, you cant see the scratches under most lighting, but the lighting he has it under shows everything.

My wii u has been kept in good condition but despite that I still have tons of scratches.

I hate to say it but the Wii U is a scratch machine, you cant see the scratches under most lighting, but the lighting he has it under shows everything.

My wii u has been kept in good condition but despite that I still have tons of scratches.
Apparently it is so smooth, even using the wrong cloth to clean it will cause scratches (apparently due to moving dust). I also heard polish can get rid of those scratches...

The White system has its own problems like yellowing analogue sticks though.

Davey Cakes

I'll admit, I move my system relatively often (for gaming gatherings with my friends) so it's quite scuffed up.

Can't say I'm a fan of glossy.

Mash83

So now that these are back in stock I'm thinking about grabbing one. Are people still saying they are basically getting brand new units?

zruben

Banned
So now that these are back in stock I'm thinking about grabbing one. Are people still saying they are basically getting brand new units?

yup.

my best guess is that these "refubrished" units are acutally left-over stock returned by some stores

Will there be a new thread for the next time they are briefly out of stock?

Anyhow, I just ordered mine because Smash looks shockingly good. $15 tax? What tax is this that Ninty charges anyway? They taxed me on my DS phat replacement battery as well.

Top Bottom