• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regarding cockpit views in racing games

Haunted

idahoblue said:
Looking at that MCLA shot reminded me of another reason I don't like many cockpit views. The wheel is on the wrong side for those of us who live in countries where we drive on the left side of the road. A centrally mounted view obviously gets around this, as would an option to mirror the cockpit.

For street racing the traffic will still be on the wrong side of the road, but that is pretty easy to get used to, for me at least.
Grid does it well by making this dependant on the manufacturer.

US and Contintenal European cars = wheel on the left. British and Japanese cars = wheel on the right. Just another little touch that increases immersion, imo.

Dead Man

Haunted said:
Grid does it well by making this dependant on the manufacturer.

US and Contintenal European cars = wheel on the left. British and Japanese cars = wheel on the right. Just another little touch that increases immersion, imo.
Yeah, that is one of the things I liked about that game, it was a nice touch.

Haunted

idahoblue said:
Yeah, that is one of the things I liked about that game, it was a nice touch.
And one that would be completely lost/unappreciated without a cockpit view. :D

Bonnet and bumper cams just don't compare, imo. Being outside the car is a huge immersion breaker for me.

Dead Man

Haunted said:
And one that would be completely lost/unappreciated without a cockpit view. :D

Bonnet and bumper cams just don't compare, imo. Being outside the car is a huge immersion breaker for me.
Fair point. As I said, I have no problem with them being in a game, I just prefer not to use them.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
idahoblue said:
Hood cam, with a central, minimal hud is where it's at. When you are driving, you don't see the a pillar, the top of the dash, etc, all that fades out, with focus being on the road, and the objects around your car. I understand why some people like a cockpit view, but it always, to me anyway, reinforces the artificiality of the game by emphasising the lack of peripheral vision. I don't mind if they are in a game, and they can be fun to play with, but all my serious racing is done from a hood cam if available.

Edit: Oh yeah, way to start a post OP, you twat. :lol

This is the correct answer.

When using a steering wheel and peddles i don't like half my screen showing another steering wheel and dash, but just the top of the dash a rearview mirror to the "RIGHT" and the hood of the car. Tt is the perfect and completely natural view for driving sims.

If your using a controller then i guess full cockpit view is better.

The one thing I really don't like about full cockpit views are the gear changes. They'll never be able to match what you're doing and they catch my eye every time.

Not really noticeable with paddle shift though.

iam220

bloodydrake said:
This is the correct answer.

When using a steering wheel and peddles i don't like half my screen showing another steering wheel and dash, but just the top of the dash a rearview mirror to the "RIGHT" and the hood of the car. Tt is the perfect and completely natural view for driving sims.

If your using a controller then i guess full cockpit view is better.

When I play games that allow adjustment of the cockpit view, I usually adjust it so that my g25 steering wheel perfectly overlaps the games steering wheel. Most immersive sim driving experience eva!

Top Bottom