• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The world could use a new Burnout game.

RAIDEN1

To this day there is no way to play any of the Burnout games on Playstation 5, (aside from maybe Paradise?) Much less the world could do with another Burnout game, the world could ALSO do with another BLUR!

Larxia

The world needs Arcade Racers that aren't open world to exist again.

Just choose a car and a track from a simple menu (without long, fancy transitions) and let me drive ffs.

Open world racers suck ass.
I think it depends, if done well it can be fun, I personally did enjoy Burnout Paradise a lot, but I also completely understand the frustration of everything being less ergonomic.
The worst to me are modern open world racers like Forza Horizon 4 and 5, everything is so made to appeal to "everyone" that it doesn't appeal to people who want any kind of challenge, even if you completely fail a race you will get the gold medal... It's completely ridiculous, it feels like there isn't any point in playing these games.

One really good alternative however to me was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010. When you start playing the game, it's exactly like these older non open world games, you pick a track, you drive on it, and that's it. However, it also has an optional free drive mode, and when you play that for the first time you realize that all these individual, well designed tracks, are actually all connected and part of an open world, which felt even more insane than most actual open world racers to me. I don't know if I make much sense, but it almost gave me a dark souls vibe in the "ooh, so this and this are connected like this?!", it was really great :messenger_grinning_sweat:

nkarafo

for the first time you realize that all these individual, well designed tracks, are actually all connected and part of an open world, which felt even more insane than most actual open world racers to me. I don't know if I make much sense, but it almost gave me a dark souls vibe in the "ooh, so this and this are connected like this?!", it was really great :messenger_grinning_sweat:
That sounds great. Now i'm thinking of possible mods that could make any racing game like that. Especially something like a Mario Kart game. Imagine all these courses being connected in an open world with a good sense of scale and location that makes sense. It would be very impressive.

CamHostage

I think it depends, if done well it can be fun, I personally did enjoy Burnout Paradise a lot, but I also completely understand the frustration of everything being less ergonomic.

It's harder or more constrictive to design that way, conceivably (because you would want road maps that do what's best for the individual races, not what's best for the world; otherwise, it's just a matter of putting barrier rails out to isolate the roadway for defined race courses.)

However, that does make a point I was going to add, which is open-world driving is pretty much great! The problem is that this then leads to open-world racing, and that's a hit-or-miss. Developers or publishers (and game buyers, to be fair,) are focused on open-world concepts being what's expected in high-spec projects, and thus don't make whatever racing game might be best. So they make hybrid open-world driving/racing games instead of some games being closed-course racing and some being open-world. It's not really for the best of either racing form, usually. We're not getting many of the Smuggler's Run or Dakar or other experiments with high-speed driving that really used the open world for strategic purposes, and we're not getting nearly enough of the track-based games that defined racing for generations before (and still define most real-world racing events.)

There are games that do racing well in an open world, but it's tough to make it balance well or play fair at a variety of challenge levels, unlike the fine-tuning a developer can do when it's a linear or looped course, and so you do get some of failures to build a difficulty curve like you mention.

CamHostage

One really good alternative however to me was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010. When you start playing the game, it's exactly like these older non open world games, you pick a track, you drive on it, and that's it. However, it also has an optional free drive mode, and when you play that for the first time you realize that all these individual, well designed tracks, are actually all connected and part of an open world, which felt even more insane than most actual open world racers to me. I don't know if I make much sense, but it almost gave me a dark souls vibe in the "ooh, so this and this are connected like this?!", it was really great :messenger_grinning_sweat:

BTW, you ever get the feeling when playing Burnout 2 (and I think 3?) that if you could just take that one blocked-off left turn, you'd be somewhere else in the Burnout world?

...Turns out, there's a reason for that. Criterion designed that era of Burnout using a cohesive world design. It was never meant to be fully built out and open-world (I'm not sure they could have technologically pulled off that level of streaming back then, even though their Renderware engine powered open-world stuff like GTA3,) but they did lay out the tracks to have placement in a single world, so that levels would have a sense of familiarity and design compatibility with each other. (It also apparently saved on resources and team management, to have the game confined to a sprawling but singular location.)

(*Not that this is a revelation if you watch the level select map show tracks of the game, but I never paid attention to notice that actual tracks crossed paths with one another.)

Last edited:

dezzy8

There is a big gap in the market there. There are still arcade racers but really nothing that's much like Burnout anymore. Modern NFS is nothing like it.

A new game like Burnout 2/3 or even a sequel to Blur would be very welcome right about now. I think Split/Second also deserved a sequel.
Please don't mention Blur. I'm still heartbroken that it flopped.

We sure do need another Burnout! I still play Wreckfest (hopping we'll get Wreckfest 2 someday) and play Split/second (sad that the game ended and teased for a 2nd one that we'll never get!)

coffinbirth

Nah, give me a Motorstorm + Twisted Metal, with track creation, i ll be very happy
cumming-orgasm.gif

Larxia

BTW, you ever get the feeling when playing Burnout 2 (and I think 3?) that if you could just take that one blocked-off left turn, you'd be somewhere else in the Burnout world?

...Turns out, there's a reason for that. Criterion designed that era of Burnout using a cohesive world design. It was never meant to be fully built out and open-world (I'm not sure they could have technologically pulled off that level of streaming back then, even though their Renderware engine powered open-world stuff like GTA3,) but they did lay out the tracks to have placement in a single world, so that levels would have a sense of familiarity and design compatibility with each other. (It also apparently saved on resources and team management, to have the game confined to a sprawling but singular location.)

(*Not that this is a revelation if you watch the level select map show tracks of the game, but I never paid attention to notice that actual tracks crossed paths with one another.)

Oh, that's really interesting! This also explains why Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is like that, they did the exact same thing but fleshed out the idea and concept further since the technology allowed it. Individual tracks, but all actually connected in the same world, and in hot pursuit you can drive freely from one to another.

It's funny to see that they started this design idea this early in Burnout 2 and it's something they kept improving.

Top Bottom