• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic, supply won't be an issue.

I want to believe him, but I don't unless its coming from NOJ's president.

It's basically going to be like the NES fiasco, but as preorders so far indicate, it'll be even worse.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, supply will not be an issue... on eBay.

This won't affect scalpers. Worst case they make just a bit off impatience or just cancel/return. Of course, Reggie is just spinning this for PR. You won't be walking into just any retailer and finding a big stack for anyone to nab.

ramparter

Banned
I love how you people dont believe him and are ready to pay more. This will only give more xobfidence to scalpers. Good job you deserve it. Meanwhile I wont preorder and I will walk in a store day one and buy it.

I love how you people dont believe him and are ready to pay more. This will only give more xobfidence to scalpers. Good job you deserve it. Meanwhile I wont preorder and I will walk in a store day one and buy it.

Hahahahha!

I will personally, personally, buy you your SNES Classic if you can walk into a store day one (like, legit walk in without lining up like a sucker at 6am) ask the sales associate "Can I get a SNES Classic, please?", they say "Sure! How many would you like? Reggie was just here an hour ago and dropped off an entire container!", and you say "oh just one for my niece please", and they say "that'll be $80 please", and you pay $85 and say "keep the change".

Like, I'll fucking pay for that change as well!

Please, get back to me, record yourself getting it day one without preorder, and send me a bill. I'll pay you another $80+shipping if you can acquire two and ship me one.

ornery

YxhCJAR.jpg

When has Nintendo *ever* been able to produce enough supply to meet demand? Like, this has consistently been an issue with them since the 80s.

products nobody wants don't count sorry Wii U

LegendX48

As others already have, I call BS. These things will never touch store shelves and I'll never have the chance to buy one just like the NES classic :/

crpav

Reggie says a lot of things...

Be honest, scalpers going to scalp and it's because they know, Nintendo knows (and already said) it's going to be limited. That is the mistake. They should never have made it a limited item. Keep producing it until they don't sell anymore then decide to stop producing it. Reason is since it will be limited and everyone knows it scalpers will buy as many as they can.

If I can't walk into my local walmart(only store near me) and get one at 7 am(after gym because I am not one of those that comes out of the wood works at midnight) after I hit the gym then it's same old Nintendo story.

Meier

I really hope he's right. But I have serious trouble believing it.. if supply wasn't an issue, why wouldn't they open more preorders up?

Don'tBelieveHisLiesMemento.jpeg

Last year he said Nintendo would keep producing NES Classics only to have the company announce a couple of months later say they were ending production. All I know is that I ain't cancelling my pre-orders until I have the physical unit in my hand.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hopefully he is right. I want one but am not going to jump through hoops to get one and pay more then retail. If I don't get one I don't get one.

Luigiv

Australians are paying $100 USD retail.

Australian pricing includes tax, whilst US pricing does not. After subtracting tax, the Aussie price converts to 87.74 USD at today's exchange rate. Also keep in mind the Aussie dollar has actually bounced up ~5c since the SNES mini was officially anounced on the 27th of June. At 27/06/17's exchange rate, the price would work out at 82.70 USD. Pricing is pretty fair honestly.

mindatlarge

I really hope he's right. But I have serious trouble believing it.. if supply wasn't an issue, why wouldn't they open more preorders up?
Not saying I believe him, but IF it ends up being true, I guess they could look at it like the limited pre-orders build up hype for the actual release. Those that didn't secure a pre-order and those that were exposed to the hype the pre-order situation caused could get a lot of people interested in picking one up come release day and throughout the holidays. We seem to want something more when it's hard to come by, even initially.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

150 euros in Finland, didn't buy it. Bergsala which is the supplier in Nordic Countries are stealing half the money. I really hope there is more supply and it's possible to buy from central Europe in the future.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Unless they are going to stock this thing for years and years this is BULLSHIT

Its the SNES...MILLIONS want it

I've pre-ordered two of these keeping one...selling another for enough to buy my dream console
a Japanese Sega Saturn and a copy X-Men vs Street Fighter w/ 4mb ram cart

Rockk

I mean judging by how Nintendo has worded all their SNES classic stuff it seems like it is here to stay for years. These games are decades old you can wait until holiday 2018 to pick one up.

Maybe they want some to actually be on the shelves on launch day so only a percentage was set for preorders.

Haven't seen anything that would indicate it isn't going to be the exact same song and dance this time around.

We got preorders this time. It's already not the same song and dance.

I mean judging by how Nintendo has worded all their SNES classic stuff it seems like it is here to stay for years. These games are decades old you can wait until holiday 2018 to pick one up.
What? They've explicitly said it will only be shipped until end of this calendar year. So December 31st is the hard deadline for any new units hitting retailers.

bionic77

We will have to wait and see but I would so fucking love to see the scalpers left out in the cold with a dozen SNES classics they can't get rid of.

Firecrest

I mean, sure, maybe supply isn't an issue if you only account for the people who want one. Once you throw scalpers into the mix it becomes a shitshow.

I can't see supply not being an issue unless Nintendo is planning to flood the market with like 10 million of these things amply and routinely restocked from Sept till Xmas. I'm in wait and see mode at this point, I've already made my peace that I'm not likely going to get one, especially since I live in a remote location and more or less rely on online for something like this. I just got off the phone with the lone video game retailer in my country( yes, you heard me, LONE) and they have absolutely no clue whether they'll be allocated any units.

What? They've explicitly said it will only be shipped until end of this calendar year. So December 31st is the hard deadline for any new units hitting retailers.

Bingo. A commitment to shipping beyond 2017 would go much farther. I assume, and respect, that a commitment like that isn't something that he can make.

I'm glad that they're saying to not pay more than retail, but I hope they understand why their prospective customers (in this situation) are somewhat skeptical.

Maybe they should preach this to their retail partners. Hard to stomach Reggie's remarks when they are letting Gamestop/ThinkGeek bundle the thing with a bunch of plastic garbage and charge $200+ for it.

Top Bottom