• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Warns Tight PlayStation 5 Supply to Extend Into Next Year

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I feel like I gotta get some good karma soon. I managed to secure two for launch. One as a back up if something went wrong. As soon as it was confirmed both were arriving I sold one to the plasterer who has looked after my house since I bought it. His sons bday is near Xmas and I offered it to them for retail price so they could surprise him. What a xmas/bday present for the young man!

...one day I will be rewarded in good karmic energy 🤣🤣
I was able to pre-order 3 PS5's out of luck.

I offered two of them to my friends but no one was interested.

All 3 arrived on release day and the boys were already scratching at the front door like stray cats.

Cat Scratching GIF by Sherchle

I sold them through to them without additional cost.

Pretty crazy . Back in November I figured spring or summer it would be at least sort of easy to buy one , as in it might be in stock a few hours before gone . But that clearly is not going to be the case. Never seen a console so hard to obtain for so long but here we are.

I guess I'll get one eventually. Really do not like the size of the thing though. Tempted to wait for a slimmer unit , but new God of War will likely prove too much to resist.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The worst part Is Sony will have no option but to delay releases on ps5 until the customer base grows. This messaging feels like they know they won't be able to keep up with numbers beating out ps4 sales for much longer. I hope games don't get delayed.

Elios83

The worst part Is Sony will have no option but to delay releases on ps5 until the customer base grows. This messaging feels like they know they won't be able to keep up with numbers beating out ps4 sales for much longer. I hope games don't get delayed.

They confirmed that the minimum target is beating PS4 numbers in any case.
What they're talking about is that demand is so huge that they would need to increase production significantly over PS4 levels to allow people to find it in stores easily and that isn't happening soon because of shortages.
You shouldn't be concerned about games either since an installed base that is growing faster than the PS4 one (which was Sony's fastest selling console ever until PS5) doesn't need any artificial delays.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS5 is growing as fast as if not faster than PS5 and it is drama about availability? This is word of mouth that helps PS5 btw, it makes it seem such a success that matching or beating PS4 install base growth is far from matching the actual huge demand ;).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The difference between the Wii supply and the ps5 supply is the ps5 keeps PS4 in mind you never felt the Wii was like a GameCube. Wii was the last console that was hard to find now that award goes to PS5 that now has people keeping their eyes on it.

bender

What time is it?
Based on manufacturing trends, I'd guess 2023 is when things return to normal. If we are lucky that is.

poodaddy

Great.
I have a XSX but no new games to play and there are new games to play on PS5 but no consoles to buy.
angry ufc GIF
It's so shitty bro....if you want, I can take your Series X off your hands, just to get that useless thing away from ya, ya know? Just trying to help....

Fredrik

It's so shitty bro....if you want, I can take your Series X off your hands, just to get that useless thing away from ya, ya know? Just trying to help....
Oh it’s not useless at all, it’s great for multiplats, 120/60 fps boost BC awesomeness and Retroarch emulation.
But it just feels like I’m stuck in between two awesome scenarios now that PS5 has started getting great new nextgen 1st party games.

Kagey K

Banned
Looks like they are running out of pre-order chips, and competition has moved in.

At least they were lucky to get the chips they ordered when they did.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'd try to get a PS5, but it reeks of that artificial scarcity. It might seem great for keeping a console in the media, but terrible for the consumers.

I'll be throwing my money behind companies that actually have their shit together for supply and demand. It's not hard to thwart scalpers and it's not hard to support customer demand. It has never been this bad and imo, there is no excuse.

Skifi28

I'd try to get a PS5, but it reeks of that artificial scarcity. It might seem great for keeping a console in the media, but terrible for the consumers.

I'll be throwing my money behind companies that actually have their shit together for supply and demand. It's not hard to thwart scalpers and it's not hard to support customer demand. It has never been this bad and imo, there is no excuse.
Good luck on that other planet, I hope it's better than here.

truth411

well, Demon`s Souls and Returnal...is there anything else that`s worth playing and actually needs a PS5?
If there is still a shortage when Horizon and GoW are both released, then I will start to get annoyed.

Everything else is best on pc anyways ;)
Returnal- April
Resident Evil- May
RatchetnClank- June
Kena Bridge of Spirits- August
Deathloop: September
Horizon 2: November?
God Of War 2: Q2 2022?
GT7: 2022

A great line-up.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

One could say that they are matching or outpacing PS4 sales (so they are not doing too bad all things considered and they are reacting aggressively as they do not want to let demand go unfulfilled), others could point to a global components shortage (especially wrt semiconductors… do you read the news?), but you are going for the artificial scarcity?

Fredrik

They’re breaking sales records so it’s not artificial scarcity. But where are they selling it? That’s what I want to know. A coworker has one that got sent to him from Sony when he signed up for a new Sony phone, that’s the only proof I have that the thing even exist. Everybody else I know are essentially still waiting for the thing to launch, I’m not sure it has ever been placed on a shelf in my country and the biggest stores don’t even take orders or have any estimated delivery dates. But Sony is still boasting about sales records so it’s obviously selling somewhere, just don’t know where.

Gargauth

Returnal- April
Resident Evil- May
RatchetnClank- June

A great line-up.
To be honest half of games you listed are for PC. And they will perform best on it (incl. VRR, possibly DLSS/RTX, higher fps).
But yes if you like games it's best to have both PC and PS5 and for me personally even XSX just because for some games its more convenient with quick resume.

I was looking for a ps5 to buy as a part of my new entertainment set, I bought TV and a perfect piece of furniture, but universe keeps me away from ps5
I think I'll wait for a new version, a this point, I just hope Will be slightly smaller

kyussman

2021. "Year of the Clear Backlog" it appears.
Yea,unfortunatley for me I made a real effort to clear mine last year....now I've nothing much to play on my PS4(thank god for Mass Effect remaster),and no hope of getting a PS5...I fucked up,lol.

Gogo

Banned
It will sell out every unit made until the end of 2022, which will be dwarfed by the Nintendo Switch

I'm more interested to see how it fares against the Switch Pro and Microsoft's new stable of first party studios

Finally managed to get one after a few weeks of daily checking, tho it ended up being a bundle and from a retailer I've never dealt with before :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Those stock trackers say the likes of Argos, Game and Amazon are due big stock over the next week or so, so there's hope this month if you in the UK at least.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They’re breaking sales records so it’s not artificial scarcity. But where are they selling it? That’s what I want to know. A coworker has one that got sent to him from Sony when he signed up for a new Sony phone, that’s the only proof I have that the thing even exist. Everybody else I know are essentially still waiting for the thing to launch, I’m not sure it has ever been placed on a shelf in my country and the biggest stores don’t even take orders or have any estimated delivery dates. But Sony is still boasting about sales records so it’s obviously selling somewhere, just don’t know where.

For one batch Sony sold the PS5 exclusively through their own online store to PSN subscribers, one per household. You had to have a saved address and verified payment method.

Sony should go back to that, exclusively, for several months IMO. Because these retailers don't give a shit about bots or script kiddie tools used to hop the line and I don't blame them - it's not like they'd have anything to gain by employing anti bot measures or the like. But Sony could get it into their longtime customers' hands if they really wanted to.

Just glad I got mine in December. One of my best friends just got one last month and that seemed like a miracle.

Last edited:
To be honest half of games you listed are for PC. And they will perform best on it (incl. VRR, possibly DLSS/RTX, higher fps).
But yes if you like games it's best to have both PC and PS5 and for me personally even XSX just because for some games its more convenient with quick resume.
Huh? Unless I misunderstood something, excluding RE8 which one of those games is confirmed for PC?

well, Demon`s Souls and Returnal...is there anything else that`s worth playing and actually needs a PS5?
If there is still a shortage when Horizon and GoW are both released, then I will start to get annoyed
Don't overlook Astro. And, of course, Ratchet and Clank in a few weeks.

Lol almost none of those are announced for PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Whatever. I think it's more likely I'll just get a new PC at this point. Honestly, retailers should be just taking pre-orders and ship them out once they have the stock to do so.

Actually that's what Sony ME has done, pay full price upfront and sign your name and cellphone. No scalping BS, although there are few scalpers but extremely low due to signing the names and numbers. That made it too easy to secure one at launch. New batches come as well and the same practice is done, so any serious gamer wants a PS5 can get it relatively easy Vs fighting bots online.

skit_data

People called me a madman when I secured my digital edition for £300 at the end of January
Same here, I preordered when price was announced and said to my buddies ”Hey...you...might wanna preorder” and now they are talking about ”fucking scalpers!”.

I got mine at launch, they can suit themselves. I warned them. I’ll probably be the crazy guy in the bunker shooting people trespassing when shit hits the fan as well.

iHaunter

Returnal- April
Resident Evil- May
RatchetnClank- June

A great line-up.
Strongest first-year launch line-up of any console ever if you include Demon's Souls and Miles Morales too... Nutty!

Top Bottom