• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

The Wii U also has jump to HD, much improved graphics right off the bat, and blu-ray if you only had a Wii last generation.

As got the online it can improve over time, like the PSN and XBL. Nobody expected it to be perfect by day 1.

Everything is HD nowadays, even people's phones. Nintendo is six years late to that party. Good luck using that as the hook.

Its graphics are only improved over the wii. Otherwise they are inferior to the competition.

It does not have blu ray or DVD or anything of that nature.

Consumers don't judge features relative to competition from seven years ago. They judge them based on whatever else is available to buy now. Everything about the system's online is complete ass.

What incentive is there to buy a Wii U? What is the hook? Think about it. With the 360 and PS3 there were a number of factors:

* much improved graphics right off the bat
* jump to HD
* Xbox Live and online in general becoming a huge part of the experience
* blu-ray

What is there for the Wii U? The graphics are the same, the games are the same, the gamepad has done little to nothing to improve or change gameplay (opposite of the Wiimote), the online is lacking major features the others have had for half a decade, what's the incentive here? NSMBU? Playing on a low res screen that has a 2-3 hour battery life? This is why this thing is floundering at the moment, imo.

It has a 3 hour battery life, a mediocre LCD screen, and can't even be taken out of the house.

Nintendo games are the incentive.

I know it sounds stupid but it makes more sense to think "Can't wait to play the next Smash Bros in HD!" than "I can't wait to play the port of a PS360 Game!"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Everything is HD nowadays. Nintendo is six years late to that party.

It's graphics are only improved over the wii. Otherwise they are inferior to the competition.

Consumers don't judge features relative to competition from seven years ago. They judge them based on whatever else is available to buy now. Everything about the system's online is complete ass.
Everything?

Bgamer90

Banned
It does indeed look better and when the developers actually start diving into the tech the graphics will continue to look better and almost on par with the next gen sony and microsoft systems

Wow... seriously?

Nintendo games will look impressive since they have unique art styles and they will be in HD for the very first time but come on.

EDIT; I've been playing Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii U and it looks like an HD game now. It kind of did before but now the colors are more vibrant and the framerate is smooth as hell. If Nintendo can do that with an "aging" tech, then I cannot wait to see what they do with an HD console

That more than likely has to do with the art style of the game instead of "tech".

Nintendo games are the incentive.

I know it sounds stupid but it makes more sense to think "Can't wait to play the next Smash Bros in HD!" than "I can't wait to play the port of a PS360 Game!"

If that's the case, then the system will be dead in four years just like the Wii, and this time it may not sell like gangbusters either.

thirty

Banned
That's the first time I've heard that question posed. If you already have a tablet why would you need a Wii U? You can't even take the tablet away from the system like you can with a normal tablet.

KageMaru

"I think you need glasses."

It is matter of opinion so there is no need to insult people. Maybe you should change your name to Digital Foundry or Lens of Truth since what you post obviously is fact. Right?

Wow so saying someone doesn't have an eye for graphics is wrong now? I've seen that line a thousand times and never considered it offensive or an insult. If I knew people were that sensitive, I wouldn't have said it.

if you need to scrutinize a bunch of comparison shots to be tell the difference between the two it means they're pretty much the same.

I don't need to scrutinize anything to tell the Wii-U version does not look better.

Amir0x

Banned
If that's the case, then the system will be dead in four years just like the Wii, and this time it may not sell like gangbusters either.

I don't know but if it just means Wii U is going to end up like Gamecube, I'm OK with that. Gamecube was amazing and featured some of Nintendo's greatest games, as well as some of their most truly audacious productions relative to the competition at the time. If Wii U coming from behind motivates Nintendo back to making games like that, I'm all-in. Wii had only one or two games like that from Nintendo, and they all had Mario in the title.

<3 Gamecube

Meelow

Banned
Everything is HD nowadays. Nintendo is six years late to that party.

It's graphics are only improved over the wii. Otherwise they are inferior to the competition.

But you can't say it's inferior, there are third party games that look better on Wii U then the PS3/360, dramatically? No but better.

The Wii technically was DVD it just didn't play DVD movies.

The Wii U is technically Blu-Ray but it doesn't play the movies.

And how would you know the online is "complete ass" do you have a Wii U?

But you can't say it's inferior, there are third party games that look better on Wii U then the PS3/360, dramatically? No but better.
Such as?

And really, you think that's a good marketing hook? "This here system is equipped with Bluray! Of course it doesn't play Bluray movies, but who cares?"

Amir0x

Banned
Lol, I said bashing someone opinion is.

It's not an opinion though. We have demonstrable technical analysis that are supported by facts which show it is not true!

Saying "I prefer the art style" of a game is opinion. Saying "Wii U Call of Duty looks better" is not an opinion; it's just wrong. It's like saying the sun is cold.

I don't know but if it just means Wii U is going to end up like Gamecube, I'm OK with that. Gamecube was amazing and featured some of Nintendo's greatest games, as well as some of their most truly audacious productions relative to the competition at the time. If Wii U coming from behind motivates Nintendo back to making games like that, I'm all-in. Wii had only one or two games like that from Nintendo, and they all had Mario in the title.

<3 Gamecube

Yup. Back when I still loved Nintendo.

It even had some amazing 3rd party stuff like Sphinx, and the hallowed Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. :bow

Boss Man

The colors and lighting are better than PS3 and 360. Why is everyone on Reggie's ass? It does indeed look better and when the developers actually start diving into the tech the graphics will continue to look better and almost on par with the next gen sony and microsoft systems

EDIT; I've been playing Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii U and it looks like an HD game now. It kind of did before but now the colors are more vibrant and the framerate is smooth as hell. If Nintendo can do that with an "aging" tech, then I cannot wait to see what they do with an HD console
Great post, most intelligent thing I've read all day good job. Very honorable, would quote again.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Wii technically was DVD it just didn't play DVD movies.

The Wii U is technically Blu-Ray but it doesn't play the movies.

'We're using BD-derived technology but you can't actually watch BD movies' isn't a particularly impressive marketing bullet point though.

Amir0x

Banned
Yup. Back when I still loved Nintendo.

It even had some amazing 3rd party stuff like Sphinx, and the hallowed Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. :bow

you know I never played Sphinx but heard good things about it. Backlog worthy?

Baten Kaitos 1/2
Beyond Good & Evil
Chibi-Robo!
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (seriously one of the only time a gimmick actually worked)
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX (greatest racing game of all time)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I'm not your bucket bitch, bitch!)
Fire Emblem
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Ikaruga
Killer7
Mega Man Anniversary Collection/Mega Man X Collection
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime II
Odama (ditto as above. Seems strange: When they're not FOCUSING on gimmicks, they can manage to make them work)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (one of the greatest RPGs of all time)
Pikmin 1
Pikmin 2 (one of the top ten games of all time)
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake (Crimson Zombies FUCK YOOOU. Last great classic RE game)
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Soul Calibur II: Link Edition
Super Mario Sunshine (I understand people are divided on this, but I loved the focused thematic and the gameplay was as good as ever: Mario's acrobatics were amazing when amplified by F.L.U.D.)
Super Monkey Ball I/II (the only good SMB games these days)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (I hate these games, but I suspect if I didn't include it someone might stab me in the eye)
Tales of Symphonia
Timesplitters
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Zelda: Twilight Princess (definitive edition)
Zelda: Wind Waker (still the most beautiful Zelda game and one of the only games from this gen that STILL holds up visually)

mmm Gamecube

jUFiCxdH9QjJF.jpg

thats-a-penis.gif

A lot of people fall back on the old "It's my opinion, so I can't be wrong" line when they can't back up their original claims with any facts. There is no technical evidence available to back up your claim that the WiiU version of BLOPS 2 is doing anything better than the 360 version.

you know I never played Sphinx but heard good things about it. Backlog worthy?

Beyond Good & Evil
Fire Emblem
F-Zero GX (greatest racing game of all time)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (one of the greatest RPGs of all time)
Super Mario Sunshine (I understand people are divided on this, but I loved the focused thematic and the gameplay was as good as ever: Mario's acrobatics were amazing when amplified by F.L.U.D.)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (seriously one of the only time a gimmick actually worked)
Odama (ditto as above. Seems strange: When they're not FOCUSING on gimmicks, they can manage to make them work)
Killer7
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Ikaruga
Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin 1
Pikmin 2 (one of the top ten games of all time)
Zelda: Wind Waker (still the most beautiful Zelda game and one of the only games from this gen that STILL holds up visually)
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos 1/2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake (Crimson Zombies FUCK YOOOU. Last great classic RE game)
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Soul Calibur II: Link Edition
Eternal Darkness
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I'm not your bucket bitch, bitch!)
Zelda: Twilight Princess (definitive edition)
Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Mega Man Anniversary Collection/Mega Man X Collection
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime II
Super Smash Bros. Melee (I hate these games, but I suspect if I didn't include it someone might stab me in the eye)
Timesplitters
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Super Monkey Ball I/II (the only good SMB games these days)

mmm Gamecube

I'd say so. Great Zelda run.

And wow at the list of amazing.

<3 GameCube. Back when Nintendo loved tech.

Kosma

Banned
If I would have spent 350 bucks to play games that run worse then on a 199 bucks 7 year old console I would be mad and feel cheated instead of trying to justify and spin it, whats wrong with some people here.

Diablos54

If Wii U coming from behind motivates Nintendo back to making games like that, I'm all-in. Wii had only one or two games like that from Nintendo, and they all had Mario in the title.

<3 Gamecube
Yep. I loved Marioblade...

Wait, what?

The GC was one of the best systems ever, but there's a reason Nintendo went away from that route and that's because NONE OF YOU BASTARDS BROUGHT IT!! :(

Meelow

Banned
Such as?

And really, you think that's a good marketing hook? "This here system is equipped with Bluray! Of course it doesn't play Bluray movies, but who cares?"

Sonic, Trine 2, Puddle, Aliens Colonial Maries is confirmed to be the best looking version, and possibly others I missed.

But I proved my point, it does have Blu Ray.

_PsiFire_

People need to stop with the screen tear bullshit. The PS3/360 versions tear at the very top of the screen, in a place where 99% of people will never notice. I never saw it during my play through on 360 and I'm sensitive to it. It's not an advantage for WiiU in any sense of the word, especially when it can't keep pace in framerate, something especially important in a COD game.
I said, on the first page, my buddy notices the screen tearing on his 360 version. To this, a poster noted that HE needed glasses (that's funny).

Amir0x

Banned
Yep. I loved Marioblade...

Wait, what?

I haven't played Xenoblade yet, since I sold my Wii RIGHT before Nintendo announced it. But I have a copy and when I connect the Wii U my fiancee got for my birthday, it will be the first game I play above even "Zombie U."

That said, even if it turns out well (I've heard conflicting things from people I trust), it wouldn't alter my point much if at all :p

Edit: And I purchased a Gamecube on day one and supported it extensively throughout that generation! I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE BASTARDS!

gryz

Banned
It has a 3 hour battery life, a mediocre LCD screen, and can't even be taken out of the house.

if i'm sitting at the couch then why is it so hard to plug in a charge cable while I'm playing? also when I'm sitting on the couch playing on the gamepad and watching tv I don't really need to take the gamepad out of the house.

when you say the screen is mediocre I assume this is based on your own experience with the device for different games and not just based on specs you read online?

Kudos to CNN for asking some great relevant questions regarding the console, it actually felt informed, which is rare for video game coverage from them.

I think Reggie, on the other hand, really mishandled the interview and came off way too much like a PR machine. Flat, rehearsed answers (and one major misleading answer) just made it feel a bit soulless. Not a great word to use, but when your answers sound like they're being generated from a press release, it hardly gives the audience an impression that what you're trying to sell is supposed to be fun.

Diablos54

I haven't played Xenoblade yet, since I sold my Wii RIGHT before Nintendo announced it. But I have a copy and when I connect the Wii U my fiancee got for my birthday, it will be the first game I play above even "Zombie U."

That said, even if it turns out well (I've heard conflicting things from people I trust), it wouldn't alter my point much if at all :p
You haven't played Xenoblade yet? THE FUCK AMI!? Was it you or Ducky who loved FF XII, cause Xeno is like that on steroids.

Amir0x said:
Edit: And I purchased a Gamecube on day one and supported it extensively throughout that generation! I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE BASTARDS!
Don't worry, I know Ami. Your love for the GC is why I could never hate you. :p

KageMaru

As it was already pointed out by Amir0x, it's not an opinion. He's either making things up or is sorely mistaken. If he wasn't saying this in support of a Nintendo console, I doubt you would defend him, and that in itself is wrong IMO.

Console launches bring out the worst in people

Yeah, like making up hyperbolic bullshit about your console of choice. It goes both ways here. As much as people here are trolling the Wii-U, there as many Nintendo fans who are spewing garbage.

SeanR1221

Why lie when you can say something like "consumers showed with the Wii graphics weren't as important to them as the experience."

Reggie sucks and had always sucked. Don't understand why anyone likes him.

Top Bottom