• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Region Locking.. WTF?!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The common argument is that we should embrace region locking because it protects small publishers and their profits.

Of course this argument only makes sense from regions that actually get those games. For the rest of us, the threat of not getting more games instead of not getting games is somewhat empty.

I can see it being true for small publishers though, especially for niche games. For the three games i mentioned above, their publishers wouldn't see my money if i could get them right now from the US ( and cheaper too! ). I guess we should be thankful they are even coming out here at all eh, or we would have to import a US console and hope there isn't a problem with it or you will be in warranty hell.

gngf123

yes..really yes

its a nice thread but i remember a lot of people defending this some years ago when the ps3 was on first years

So... 7 years ago? At a time where Nintendo had region free handhelds and had done for a long time, and we had just come from a time where region locking was standard (the PS2, Gamecube and OG Xbox were all region locked). People were also not sure how the 360 and PS3 region locking was going to turn out at the time.

Since the reveal that the 3DS was going to be region locked, Nintendo fans on the whole have been very negative about region locking. US Nintendo fans started to really get negative when NoA screwed them over with the Wii Rainfall games.

Very, very few people are actually defending this. Even on /r/wiiu and other very hardcore nintendo fan communities.

LAA

Nintendo? We got a BS excuse from them. It was before the campaign really took off, but we did get an excuse.

Not really, no. On the whole, they are some of the people most against this. One or two crazy people aside.

Anyway, here is the Nintendo region free thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585936

Yeah...BS excuse alright, ha ha.
For starters, its not the customers problem how hard it is for them, guess that means I should about their R&D costs too I suppose...
We dont have to worry about how they can have free online but we have to worry about region free...?

Its still impolite to not even address the campaign and at the end of the day, this is from people that care. Its simply terrible for Nintendo to write them off. No matter how small/large the campaign is, it obviously made news on gaming sites and unless Nintendo is even further behind the times than I thought, they definitely noticed it, so it should have been standard practice to respond to it.

gngf123

Yeah...BS excuse alright, ha ha.
For starters, its not the customers problem how hard it is for them, guess that means I should about their R&D costs too I suppose...
We dont have to worry about how they can have free online but we have to worry about region free...?

Its still impolite to not even address the campaign and at the end of the day, this is from people that care. Its simply terrible for Nintendo to write them off. No matter how small/large the campaign is, it obviously made news on gaming sites and unless Nintendo is even further behind the times than I thought, they definitely noticed it, so it should have been standard practice to respond to it.

The real reason why it is a BS excuse is that in the PAL region, they already have multiple age rating systems, and the 3DS already manages to convert rating systems from one country to another.

Take a PEGI rated game from the UK and import it in Australia and the game will work, including parental control settings.

All they need to do is extend this to other regions, or scrap the whole thing and just put "imported games require parental controls turned off to play".

I can see it being true for small publishers though, especially for niche games. For the three games i mentioned above, their publishers wouldn't see my money if i could get them right now from the US ( and cheaper too! )

That is true, but just highlights region locking is really protecting broken or out of date distribution channels. Even if you order from the US they could track that to your region and sort something out.

Region locking REALLY hurt me on certain cave games - Deathsmiles 2 in particular, since it was a digital only release it was basically impossible for me to get it on 360. As a Cave collector, it really annoys me.

It also annoys me that the PS3 region locks Blurays - its region free for games, but not for BDs and DVDs?

KidBeta

Region locking REALLY hurt me on certain cave games - Deathsmiles 2 in particular, since it was a digital only release it was basically impossible for me to get it on 360. As a Cave collector, it really annoys me.

It also annoys me that the PS3 region locks Blurays - its region free for games, but not for BDs and DVDs?

You'll be hard pressed to find a legit (ie not chinese copy, not that its a bad thing) region free dvd player / blu ray player.

Technically yes.

But PS3 was opt-in to a region lock (I believe the first major region locked game was Persona 4 Arena in 2012)

and Xbox 360 was opt-out of region lock (most games were locked to regions, but certain special region-free exceptions were like a gift to fans - ie some Cave games).

It isn't even as simple as an opt-out system, that would've been easy, the reason why barely any 360 games are region free is because you have to submit and pass cert in all three regions before you even get that option. So for Japanese publishers who can't risk paying for US/Europe cert straight away or simply don't have the English versions ready, that wasn't even a possibility. Same thing goes with western publishers who don't have their Japanese versions available.

My guess is the Xbone will be the exact same way, which is why I'm not buying their "we're region free too!" statements.

People actually sympathising with companies that support region locking so those companies can make more money? and provide free online? Really?

Those companies are charging us money for their products, providing free services is only for them to get market share not because they "love us"

i no longer wear any fanboy glasses, and would never buy a product or a game to "support" a company like I did before.. what did I get out of it?

I buy what I like and what I think suits me best.. fuck all the companies, if they're not bothered to give me what I want then I won't give them my money

So... 7 years ago? At a time where Nintendo had region free handhelds and had done for a long time, and we had just come from a time where region locking was standard (the PS2, Gamecube and OG Xbox were all region locked). People were also not sure how the 360 and PS3 region locking was going to turn out at the time.

Since the reveal that the 3DS was going to be region locked, Nintendo fans on the whole have been very negative about region locking. US Nintendo fans started to really get negative when NoA screwed them over with the Wii Rainfall games.

Very, very few people are actually defending this. Even on /r/wiiu and other very hardcore nintendo fan communities.

well thats good..region locking its and abomination for the consumer and specially for the hardcore gamer who look on other markets for bizarre games

Region locking is mostly due to help domestic sales in Japan, Nintendo is especially hellbent on it due to the amount of software they sell there.

Most of the time it would be CHEAPER for japanese gamer to import a game from overseas than going to nearest shop and just buying it.

If you think that is true, you're crazy.

Region-locking is about the battle between the US and other English-speaking regions. Japanese people and Japanese games are a victim in the battle to stop non-Americans from buying games cheaper and earlier than they're available in their own countries.

I really hate the hypocrisy of the whole argument.

"Hey. We have regionlocking, because in a globalized world, the prices of games are different. You should buy the Games in your country for "your" price."

but then

"Nice. Lets produce all our parts in chinese companies. We love globalization! We can produce it dirt-cheap!"

Like Nintendo is using globalization to produce it for a cheap price, but "we", as a consumer, arent allowed to use it to get cheap Games...

cuilan

Actually, lots of them are region free. Most if not all first party games are region free too.

By my estimate:

Over 66% of retail 360 games sold in North America are region-free/multi-region.

For those sold in PAL territories, it's a little over 50%.

The numbers are a lot lower for those sold in Japan/Asia though.

As far as 1st party games go, it seems to me that MS leaves the decision up to the dev studios. For example, all the Forzas by Turn10 are region-locked but Forza Horizon by Playground Games is region-free, most of Rare's games are region-locked, Shadowrun and Too Human were region-locked, PGR3 was region-locked but PGR4 wasn't. Most other MS-published games have been region-free.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yeah, it sucks. i wish the 3DS was region free so i could play SMTIV but with all the great games coming out maybe it's a good thing

You'll be hard pressed to find a legit (ie not chinese copy, not that its a bad thing) region free dvd player / blu ray player.

I got one but I guess it's been hardware modded. Pioneer elite model, it's fantastic. Its amazing to be able to play us/aus/Japanese bds. It came as is in the box but I think the company themselves mod them for region free playing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Welcome to 1992 when I discovered how crippled console gaming was.

Region locking a handheld gaming device is quite bogus.
I mean, don't people carry them around?

Nintendo's excuse was that it conflicted interests of the eShop shop regions.

And then Sony released the Vita. The problem was that the Vita is excluded to a single PSN user-region.

This is the one that got me... Nintendo never used to do this either... not sure who got to them or why they thought it was necessary when region free works for years before without any hint of an issue.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is the one that got me... Nintendo never used to do this either... not sure who got to them or why they thought it was necessary when region free works for years before without any hint of an issue.

The digital age obviously tripped Nintendo out. Or they enjoyed the foreign exchange rates that allowed them to charge $79 for a 3DS game.

Can someone explain to me why region locking is bad? Is it mainly an issue for people that can afford to travel to different countries regularly? I've never encountered a problem with region locking on my 3DS.

Rodaballo

Banned

Exactly.

On a non handheld console ... it's arguable and one of the worst policies they can impose....

but on Handheld consoles it's pants on head tard.

For instance:
On a Summer trip to the USA i took my trusty DS Lite (which btw was the Japanese Blue one. Loved that color, wasn't available at EUR/NA, so i imported it).

Puzzle quest 2, Megaman ZX series, EBA second hand, and 2 more DS games purchased on local stores and gamestops.

If i had to wait the 4-5 months PQ2 took to get to europe .... i'd been very angry. It's like coke, mixed with puzzle and RPG. Kids, never try Puzzle Quest.

wizzbang

Banned
Sony's lack of region locking in the PS3 took me from being a filthy pirate the generation before, to owning around 40-50 games. Imported from the UK at a reasonable price (I'm in AU)

Region locking is gross, it's a blatent display of greed.

Madness

The simple answer to most every question is because:

8TdGOqj.gif

Don't mind region locking but:

- If you're going to publish the game in all territories, by all means lock that thing up, I'll wait and even pay what you ask as long as I know I can get the game.
- If you're not going to publish the game in all territories (such as with many Japanese games) then unlock them so I can at least pay a huge wad of cash to get them, what do you care, a Japanese store still gets the money and you sell another unit, and I'm happy and will probably buy your next game.

Its even more ridiculous when some Asian versions already include an English version (like Okami, got that one imported because I wanted the physical copy) but they are still region locked...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hey, at least we have MSFT joining the region free bandwagon with Sony (who's been there longer than any platform holder). Nintendo is still living in a cave.

Madness

Sony's lack of region locking in the PS3 took me from being a filthy pirate the generation before, to owning around 40-50 games. Imported from the UK at a reasonable price (I'm in AU)

Region locking is gross, it's a blatent display of greed.

You do realize if you can't necessarily afford something where you live, that you don't need to then illegally pirate it, correct?

You just can't expect global parity in prices you know. Though I agree on a comparative basis Australia has some of the highest costs for video gaming. But then other things are cheaper there that are not in other countries.

Coxy

Can someone explain to me why region locking is bad? Is it mainly an issue for people that can afford to travel to different countries regularly? I've never encountered a problem with region locking on my 3DS.

lots of games are released only in japan
some games are only released in america
some games are only released in europe
lots of games are only released in 2/3 of those areas
people want to play games from all these areas

it's 100% the reason I dont own a 3ds yet

Importers might be a tiny number of people but they're among the most valuable customers you'll ever have,

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't really understand region locking. What's the benefit?

I'm pretty part of the reason is for regional income. If Nintendo Australia sells X amount of copies then Nintendo Australia gets a slice of that pie to pay wages, advertising etc, if Australian gamers imported from Japan, Japan would get that sliced pie.

There's a bit more to it than that but I'm not good at explaining that particular area.

Forkball

Remember when the DS was region free? Good times. Region locking is especially frustrating for handhelds, which a lot of niche games come to these days. There are a ton of DS/3DS/PSP titles that western gamers will never get to play.

Joni

Sony Computer Entertainment can enforce certain rules when it comes to games, but it can't go up against the six big shots that form Hollywood.

Famassu

I notice, especially with Nintendo, they overcharge the crap out of Japanese consumers since the prices are sky high on a lot of their games compared to the America versions.

They write it off as "stopping hackers" (What?) but it's really so they can price gouge Japan.
It's especially stupid of them because quite a few of western importers import those overly expensive Japanese games. A big portion of the games I've imported for PSP & DS were games like Ouendan, Jump Superstars, DJ Max Portable, Daigassoo! Band Brothers and such which had absolutely no or very small chance of overseas release.

IrishNinja

yeah, i was bummed about that too - broke down & bought the digi one, but there's other stuff id like to play but kinda can't.

You do realize if you can't necessarily afford something where you live, that you don't need to then illegally pirate it, correct?

You just can't expect global parity in prices you know. Though I agree on a comparative basis Australia has some of the highest costs for video gaming. But then other things are cheaper there that are not in other countries.

lol what? Yes you can and you should.

Though his talk of region free meaning he can import games from the UK was dumb anyway, Aus/NZ have always been able to import games from the UK, we're all part of the PAL territory. Importing games from the US and Asia is what the PS3 brought with it and it's been awesome.

deim0s

I can be lenient on region locks on consoles. But on portables, it's strictly a no no. Where ever I land I should be able to pick up a game or two for it w/o hesitation.

sn00zer

region locking on a game by game basis is fine. devs should be a ble tochoosewhich regions theywant or can sell in. i dont undrstand hardware region lockin especially sice the rise ofhd pal vs us isnt as big a gap,,

Sakura

While I understand region locking can be frustrating, but to the people in Europe, why not just import an American 3DS? Not only would you save money because the games are cheaper, but you'd also be able to play SMTIV and all that without having to wonder when it's going to get localised in your region.

And while it is unfortunate that the 3DS is region locked, I give them credit for making the eShop not region locked. What I mean is, I have an American Vita, with a Japanese PSN account, but it will not let me use my credit cards on the store because they are not Japanese credit cards/associated with a Japanese address. But for the 3DS I can use my Canadian credit cards on the Japanese eShop no problem, which saves me from having to pay shipping for importing games and allows me to get games day one.

Take a PEGI rated game from the UK and import it in Australia and the game will work, including parental control settings.
To clarify this the game knows its PEGI and OFLC rating and will use the one appropiate to the country in question.

When a rating is absent, game will not launch under parental settings.

While I understand region locking can be frustrating, but to the people in Europe, why not just import an American 3DS? Not only would you save money because the games are cheaper, but you'd also be able to play SMTIV and all that without having to wonder when it's going to get localised in your region.
Lets see:
-No warranty on the system and hard to get it repaired are too much of a risk for me (ever had dead pixels, scratched screen and other faults the 3DS had? you're not getting them fixed, sound great?)
-Good luck with transferring an eShop account should the system get stolen; its bad enough already with the police report requirement but having to internationally send these as well?
-Miss out on local deals
-Cheaper? Maybe if you evade customs (i.e. tax, all imports over £15 outside of EU) and the handling fee associated (in the case of the UK Royal Mail charge £8 for this...and you still have to pay the tax). I guess the eShop helps here (but not everything is out on the eShop). But yeah where was I...cheaper depends on the exchange rates.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I really want this to go away. Next year I'm planning to go on exchange to Europe and guess what's the only console I can bring with me? The 3DS. -_-

glaurung

Regions at the time of the PS2 was the primary reason for modding and piracy for some people. Having to wait up to a year for a game that was released in Japan and in the US was ridiculous. And then the retail shites had the nerve to complain when the sales numbers were in the toilet once the game did release.

I hope we never get back to something as bad as that.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
You are right in buying the PS4, welcome habibi.

Jezbollah

The only title on 360 that I ever wanted to import was region locked (the EA NCAA Football series). Made me miss out on online dynasties with my US friends, and I had to import the PS3 version to play the series at all. :(

(as far as I know its the ONLY EA Sports game that was region locked - all due to NCAA licensing).

Duster

Games like Warioware: Twisted, Radiant Historia, 999, SMT: Strange Journey and Drill Dozer never made it to my shores.
That's just some examples from the GBA and DS, there are even worse examples on home consoles, Earthbound has only just been released in the EU for the very first time just 18 years after it's American release.

People actually sympathising with companies that support region locking so those companies can make more money? and provide free online? Really?

Those companies are charging us money for their products, providing free services is only for them to get market share not because they "love us"

i no longer wear any fanboy glasses, and would never buy a product or a game to "support" a company like I did before.. what did I get out of it?

I buy what I like and what I think suits me best.. fuck all the companies, if they're not bothered to give me what I want then I won't give them my money

I don't agree with it but I can sympathise, during the DS's lifespan there was a golden period where I could import American games months before they were released in the EU for a far cheaper price (£18 instead of £30 due to a favourable exchange rate).
In the mean time Nintendo were spending money on things like advertising and translations to lots of languages I don't speak for a game I already had, I assume many others did the same.
I have no guilt, I legally bought it and Nintendo got the money but I can sympathise with the ridiculous situation where they can't just release an English language game in England.

JordanN

Banned
Region locking is pointless since it doesn't ban people from playing your game completely.

But leave it to Nintendo to always be different for no reason but frustration. Appreciate Sony and MS though for being smarter than that (funny it's the non-gaming companies that get it).

Top Bottom