• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Religious people are nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Gallant said:
"God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so." : 40% of all Americans. 120,000,000 people. Most of them Christian, I would say.

http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm
right, but that's American Christians. you'd struggle to find a christian in the UK that didn't believe in evolution. all catholics should, because the vatican believes in evolution.

many other denominations of christianity believe in evolution.

Azih said:
That criticism is really missing the point.
whose point? yours or mine? i believe i was making a seperate point.

Dude Abides

Banned
plagiarize said:
right, but that's American Christians. you'd struggle to find a christian in the UK that didn't believe in evolution. all catholics should, because the vatican believes in evolution.

I think the official vatican position is more wishy-washy. They don't deny it but they don't say it's true either.

JGS said:
It bleeds over in the parts that are verified. When they aren't verified, there's no logical reason to disbelieve something in place of another. There is nothing in regards to a creator that disconnects from evolution at all which is why belief transcends religion and we fit our religious beliefs to the notion.
i love hearing this from religious people. i hope more and more Americans come around to this way of thinking, because it's better for everyone. science is a positive force that merely tries to explain the observable.

Even if I were a hardcore evolutionist, it still would not require me to give up believing that something higher than man, that is capable of creative acts, isn't out there somewhere. Just can't be proven. So why would I work too extra hard disproving it if that's not even scientific to begin with. It doesn't matter if someone else believes what I believe.
there is no such thing as an evolutionist. this is a term invented by hardline American Christians. there are people that deny evolution, and then there is everyone else. we don't need a term for the people that believe in the scientifically accepted anything. those are just people.

but i agree with your point. evolution is perfectly compatible with the bible.

My second point is that "militant" atheists tend to suck at debating. It's not really a case of getting the leg up on a believer as much as it is having confidence in the statement made. This has nothing to do with asking/answering questions which I and others are happy to do. Assertive statements about my beliefs when ones have been corrected aren't even remotely the same arguing and impossible to swing as anything other than arrogant and rude.
militant atheists give all atheists a bad name just as many religious types give the rest a bad name... just remember that we aren't all militant. still, i think some that get branded as militant aren't. like Dawkins... it always seems to me that he spends most of his time defending atheism rather than attacking religion. but there are certainly other public figures constantly on the offensive rather than the defensive.

Dude Abides said:
I think the official vatican position is more wishy-washy. They don't deny it but they don't say it's true either.
they say it's true, but they believe that God intervened in the evolution of man and added the soul. as far as i know that's the only caveat they added.

another way of looking at it is in answering this question...

do catholic schools teach intelligent design? do catholic schools teach evolution to the same curriculum as secular schools?

i'll leave you to figure out the answers.

rdrr gnr

JGS said:
It bleeds over in the parts that are verified. When they aren't verified, there's no logical reason to disbelieve something in place of another. There is nothing in regards to a creator that disconnects from evolution at all which is why belief transcends religion and we fit our religious beliefs to the notion.

Bleeding over is not the same thing as replecement & I'm merely going off what I can only assume to be a scientific mind is saying; that science can't prove something that can't be proven. If belief can't be proven nor can what's believed in be proven, then what the heck is the controversy? YEC? Ok, you got them, but so what? You've offically nabbed a pretty small portion of Christians that are actually interest in the sciences not to mention religious people in general. They are not affecting science in the slightest.

Even if I were a hardcore evolutionist, it still would not require me to give up believing that something higher than man, that is capable of creative acts, isn't out there somewhere. Just can't be proven. So why would I work too extra hard disproving it if that's not even scientific to begin with. It doesn't matter if someone else believes what I believe.

My second point is that "militant" atheists tend to suck at debating. It's not really a case of getting the leg up on a believer as much as it is having confidence in the statement made. This has nothing to do with asking/answering questions which I and others are happy to do. Assertive statements about my beliefs when ones have been corrected aren't even remotely the same arguing and impossible to swing as anything other than arrogant and rude.

In a perfect world, everyone would make those intricate distinctions; in the real world they rarely do. The whole point of evolution is that it does not necessitate any intelligent creator or intelligent intervention. If one wants to argue that a creator set this process in motion or something along those lines, one could. But again, it would be a fruitless pursuit. But yes, outside of Biblical literalism, deistic belief does not conflict with scientific belief. In fact, by very definition non-intervention would never conflict with any humanly pursuits. The underlying assumptions of belief are what most atheists are attacking; it simply manifests itself as something else. Things like faith as a virtue, or faith at all. Even if one is capable of conciliating these beliefs, the logic by which one follows to reach these beliefs matters. Now, from what I know, you are a Christian in some form or another. But yet, the God you described above is a foreign God to that specific worldview. People are never au fait. Idiots who cannot research themselves will latch onto whatever solidifies their belief. A zealot will manipulate and pervert non-applicable logic to their nonsense. WLC's entire career is made of this stuff. Small portion of Christians? Something like 60% of Americans believe the Bible is in some form (direct, or indirect) the word of the Creator? SMALL PORTION? Are you not familiar with all the cases of Creationism being taken to court? How about our presidential candidates? These may not be the deep ontological questions, but we create the environment for this nonsense to permeate.

Being familiar with argumentation theory and debates, I'd say most atheists here on GAF do a great job of breaking down non-sense arguments and defending their logic objectively. I'm going to assume this is "rude" but to a lot of people out there, religious questions equate to simple arithmetic. Not the more contemplative questions like God's absolute existence, but questions of historicity and the very man-made origins of these Biblical texts. It's like trying to argue that 2 and 2 doesn't make 4. (I know, reciprocity). Why would one concede or even respect someone attempting to make such an argument? Or if someone shows utter unfamiliarity with what the topic at hand? You can look up plenty of reliable polls that show the non-religious are more familiar with the religion itself than those who prescribe to it! Why? Because they constantly defend themselves. People conflate facts with arrogance. Logic with shrill personalities. "I find Dawkins rude and abrasive; LET US IGNORE HIS EVIDENCE AND CREDIBLE EXPERTISE."

nib95

Banned
plagiarize said:
it's funny that people keep saying and agreeing to this, because not everyone here is doing that.

and in claiming that everyone here is doing that, the people agreeing with the above statements are also generalising.

Lol. Mind fuck.

Dude Abides

Banned
plagiarize said:
they say it's true, but they believe that God intervened in the evolution of man and added the soul. as far as i know that's the only caveat they added.

another way of looking at it is in answering this question...

do catholic schools teach intelligent design? do catholic schools teach evolution to the same curriculum as secular schools?

i'll leave you to figure out the answers.

They don't say it's true. At least not officially. They say it's compatible. I think they're trying to have it both ways - not look like creationist loons but at the same time not offend the Mel Gibson types.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think its very hard to quantify a 'nice' person. In my line of work, I meet all sorts of people. Lots of them seem very nice, sure. But I've also seen some of these seemingly nice people turn nasty real quick when something didn't go right for them.

Likewise, its like meeting a person(be it a potential friend or a partner or whoever) and it being all gravy for the first months, only for their true nature to come out once 'comfort' sets in and they start acting more like who they really are inside. Lots of people aren't half as nice as the public face they put on.

Dude Abides said:
They don't say it's true. At least not officially. They say it's compatible. I think they're trying to have it both ways - not look like creationist loons but at the same time not offend the Mel Gibson types.
it's taught in catholic schools. maybe the pope isn't on TV saying 'i believe in evolution' but the so called 'theistic evolution' i outlined above is the vatican's official stance on things.

again, the vatican believe that science has it about right, with a small caveat of God intervening in man's evolution to give us a soul.

again, in catholic schools they teach the FACT of evolution, and they teach the popularly accepted scientific theory of why that observed process occurs.

i don't think i'm filling in any blanks here.

Dude Abides

Banned
plagiarize said:
it's taught in catholic schools. maybe the pope isn't on TV saying 'i believe in evolution' but the so called 'theistic evolution' i outlined above is the vatican's official stance on things.

again, the vatican believe that science has it about right, with a small caveat of God intervening in man's evolution to give us a soul.

again, in catholic schools they teach the FACT of evolution, and they teach the popularly accepted scientific theory of why that observed process occurs.

i don't think i'm filling in any blanks here.

A Catholic school is not the Vatican. Do you have a citation for theistic evolution as the Vatican's official stance? My understanding is they have deliberately avoided having a clear official stance. Catholic.com (for what it's worth) agrees:

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Adam_Eve_and_Evolution.asp

As a sometimes-atheist, sometimes-agnostic, I can say that, yes, this is probably right. In my experience, atheists tend to be smarter than theists, and smarter people tend to be more arrogant/snarky/self-centered. If the shoe fits...

Dude Abides said:
A Catholic school is not the Vatican. Do you have a citation for theistic evolution as the Vatican's official stance? My understanding is they have deliberately avoided having a clear official stance. Catholic.com (for what it's worth) agrees:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Adam_Eve_and_Evolution.asp
when the pope speaks on religious matters it isn't just his opinion, but the opinion of the vatican yes?

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Currently, I see in Germany, but also in the United States, a somewhat fierce debate raging between so-called “creationism” and evolutionism, presented as though they were mutually exclusive alternatives: those who believe in the Creator would not be able to conceive of evolution, and those who instead support evolution would have to exclude God. This antithesis is absurd because, on the one hand, there are so many scientific proofs in favour of evolution which appears to be a reality we can see and which enriches our knowledge of life and being as such. But on the other, the doctrine of evolution does not answer every query, especially the great philosophical question: where does everything come from? And how did everything start which ultimately led to man? I believe this is of the utmost importance.

i mean, he's written a book on the matter. it's pretty clear to me that the Pope believes in theistic evolution, and agrees with the FACT of evolution if slightly disagreeing with the theory explaining it.

Dude Abides

Banned
plagiarize said:
when the pope speaks on religious matters it isn't just his opinion, but the opinion of the vatican yes?

i mean, he's written a book on the matter. it's pretty clear to me that the Pope believes in theistic evolution, and agrees with the FACT of evolution if slightly disagreeing with the theory explaining it.

I don't know what status a papal musing has, but I doubt it rises to the level of official doctrine. It's not as if the Vatican lacks the capacity to make an unquestionably official statement on the matter, but they haven't. They've been vague about it.

Gaborn

I've known some GREAT religious people, I've known some shitty religious people. Same with non-religious. Ultimately it's not whether someone is religious or not, it's whether you were raised to be a decent human being or not.

Esiquio

Always-honest said:
They ACT nicer because of fear.

That's right! All religious people are just ACTING nicer, and have never be genuinely kind. What a bunch of selfish fakers, never doing shit for anybody.

Jenga said:
anyone here wanna get married to me

i mean it means absolutely nothing

and we get free cake

we can divorce and re-marry for free cake every couple of weeks

So true. I've never met anybody that thinks marriage means anything. So much wisdom in this thread, it's incredible.

Dude Abides said:
I don't know what status a papal musing has, but I doubt it rises to the level of official doctrine. It's not as if the Vatican lacks the capacity to make an unquestionably official statement on the matter, but they haven't. They've been vague about it.
everything they say and do is consistant with this belief. they haven't made an official papal declaration or whatever on the matter, but i don't think they've been remotely vague on it.

still this is a huge off topic tangent, and i'm willing to walk away from it.

Dude Abides

Banned
plagiarize said:
everything they say and do is consistant with this belief. they haven't made an official papal declaration or whatever on the matter, but i don't think they've been remotely vague on it.

still this is a huge off topic tangent, and i'm willing to walk away from it.

I think they've been fairly vague, and probably intentionally so, but we can agree to disagree.

Deified Data said:
As a sometimes-atheist, sometimes-agnostic, I can say that, yes, this is probably right. In my experience, atheists tend to be smarter than theists, and smarter people tend to be more arrogant/snarky/self-centered. If the shoe fits...
This again?

Atheist and Agnostic are not on the same scale. One is not exclusive to the other. Going by what you said you are an Agnostic Atheist.

Wormdundee said:
This again?

Atheist and Agnostic are not on the same scale. One is not exclusive to the other. Going by what you said you are an Agnostic Atheist.
let's be fair, the original meaning of 'agnostic' has been supplanted by the popular usage of 'agnostic'. he's clearly saying he went back and forth between thinking God might exist to thinking that God didn't exist.

i do agree that it's useful to have a word to define whether or not someone believes their religious belief is the one true correct one, but trying to keep agnostic for that usage is a ship that has long since sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom