• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy Games will be acquired/purchased by Sony, mark my words.

Will Remedy Games be acquired by Sony?

• Total voters

nowhat

My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me Sony is buying Capcom, Activision and Dairy Queen.
Oh yeah? Well my ex-colleague from Germany says his second cousin's brother-in-law's random acquittance says Lidl is about to buy EA. And instead of milking out every sports franchise out there, they're actually going to milk out the fans. And I mean literally. You think FIFA loot boxes were bad? Just wait until you have to purchase yet another carton of bromilk to unlock (possibly) that one Ronaldo you've been after.

Vawn

Banned
Oh yeah? Well my ex-colleague from Germany says his second cousin's brother-in-law's random acquittance says Lidl is about to buy EA. And instead of milking out every sports franchise out there, they're actually going to milk out the fans. And I mean literally. You think FIFA loot boxes were bad? Just wait until you have to purchase yet another carton of bromilk to unlock (possibly) that one Ronaldo you've been after.

wut nau?

nowhat

That was pretty much the gist of it, yes :)

(about as likely as your post - obvious sarcasm, I hope, but about as likely as your proposition - or as likely as Sony buying Remedy, for that matter)

Last edited:

A.Romero

Very unlikely. What would they be buying? A bunch of developers that might quit the company after the acquisition? It's not like they have very popular IP's.

C4lukin2

Banned
Maybe. It feels like Alan Wake to Control, they have been making a very similar type of game for ten years now.

And maybe Sony would be great for them, because all of these games seem 80% finished, and maybe a bit more support could make these games classicS. Although Alan Wake with the DLC is amazing. One of my favorite hames ever.

nowhat

I think THQN/Deep Silver will buy them. The holding is scandinavian and they already own a finish studio.
As a Finn... the word you're looking for is Finnish. There are finish studios out there, for sure, but I fail to see what THQN or Deep Silver would want to do with them.

I don't know how far you remember history, but Resogun was a very important title for the PS4 launch. It was what many people were raving about. And for a good reason - arcade shooters may be a niche, but within that niche, Housemarque is really in a league of its own.
Resogun is history? Im pretty sure I got that game free... 3 times. Housemarque, quit arque. How was it important. It was a niche game that people liked, I liked. That doesnt mean sales. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/01/housemarque-say-arcade-is-dead/
Its a unnecessary studio buy.

nowhat

Resogun is history? Im pretty sure I got that game free... 3 times. Housemarque, quit arque. How was it important. It was a niche game that people liked, I liked. That doesnt mean sales. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/01/housemarque-say-arcade-is-dead/
Its a unnecessary studio buy.
That quite the point with Housemarque, innit? People (and critics) enjoy they games. Some quite fervently. But while that may bring goodwill to the platform, that doesn't necessarily materialize in sales.

So, being first party (and being a cheap purchase) they can churn out PS+ titles, people don't bitch about them as much, Housemarque doesn't need to worry about sales. Win-win, I reckon.

Evilms

Banned
D7VDHMBWsAEfIB4

EC-08TvWsAA-9kn

GsUqTnO.png

XicWUYO.png

Considering how reluctant they are to crossplaying I don't think so. Maybe an occasional title, but most of their games will be console exclusive. Sony loves the Playstation ecosystem too much.
True, but if Remedy's game doesn't sell too well on the PSV, then I can see a PC port released eventually.

FranXico

But how will this make their games better? I don't want Remedy games to be locked in a 7 years old hardware. Do you?
As shown with the Cage games, Journey, Flower, Helldivers and other games, Sony is open to releasing their games on PC later on.

Mega_Deth

It is certainly possible. Here are some reasons for:

-Microsoft said they are done with studio acquisitions for now
-Independent AAA studios are fleeting due to insane costs of game development
-Control might not be a huge success based on the Metacritic score
-New partnership with Sony for Control

Although I don't think it will happen. Control probably won't do great numbers and Quantum Break performed mildly. Not exactly the calibre studio that Sony would purchase(Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Eidetic etc).

decisions

Sony should buy a JRPG studio and give them good tools and a budget.

There is definitely untapped market potential for the AAA JRPG, especially with how much more mainstream anime and Japanese culture have become.

I agree Remedy is just too similar to their other studios, and sorry but most of their games just aren’t that good.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony should buy a JRPG studio and give them good tools and a budget.

There is definitely untapped market potential for the AAA JRPG, especially with how much more mainstream anime and Japanese culture have become.

I agree Remedy is just too similar to their other studios, and sorry but most of their games just aren’t that good.
Yeah, you’re talking about hundreds of millions each for Insomniac and Remedy. If it was up to me, I’d have bought Capcom for 2.8 billion and MiHoYo for cheap and then went on a hiring spree for Japan Studio and asked them to do a huge JRPG.

nowhat

...dated 3rd of July. If Control does really poor commercially, it may be more realistic. If it doesn't, less so.

But I kinda wish it would happen, the first-party studios share tech. It's not only the facial animations that could use improvement in Control (and they do), it's animations in general. ND this is not. Still, the actual gameplay is really quite fun.

My prediction:

- Remedy will make a PS5 exclusive

- If it's a success, they will be bought by Sony

It's a perfect fit for Sony with their vision and strategy in gaming. If i were Yoshida, I'd go for Remedy and Platinum and would be set for the next gen.

Last edited:

mejin

...dated 3rd of July. If Control does really poor commercially, it may be more realistic. If it doesn't, less so.

But I kinda wish it would happen, the first-party studios share tech. It's not only the facial animations that could use improvement in Control (and they do), it's animations in general. ND this is not. Still, the actual gameplay is really quite fun.

Sony teams talk to each other, Remedy would have great benefits to be one.

Anyway, Insomniac was acquired even after Spider being a huge sucess.

nowhat

Sony teams talk to each other
Not only that (I mean they do, but that's not the point) - ND houses ICE, i.e. SIE's gaming R&D department. With regards to animation, ND surely is a top dog (hah!) among the industry, but there are the other studios as well. They do much more than just talk to each other, even if techniques utilized in engine X wouldn't be immediately applicable to engine Y. When it comes to third-person action games, the "synergy" definitely is there (even if I hate the term and it's one I always check first in bullshit bingo).

Anyway, we'll see. From my experience with Control so far, Remedy has done a very good job in parts, and not so much in others (mainly technical issues). The latter could seriously use some external help.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony teams talk to each other, Remedy would have great benefits to be one.

Anyway, Insomniac was acquired even after Spider being a huge sucess.
There was something else at play in the Insomniac acquisition , they were making VR games for Oculus and Price is good friends with Jason Rubin cause he used to work at ND. I think Sony were worried Facebook would buy Insomniac before them and wanted the preemptive strike.

Top Bottom