• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy: Quantum Break's characters lifelike thanks to Xbox One power; 10+ hrs story

Mocap alone can make the difference between a stiff looking game and amazing animations/facial expressions. Even though it's very expensive. It should be a competent third person shooter.

viveks86

QD games all have a mushy, disconnected look to their character models whenever I see them. QB's, from the admittedly very small amount we've seen, look closer to Naughty Dog's work, which I think is vastly superior to QD's.

I agree with this. QD's work always seemed quite uncanny, except for dark sorcerer. This looks very close to ND's work. My only complaint will be her teeth. It's way too perfect!

ross-teeth-whitening.gif

Tmecha

Neo Member
Im hyped, hope it all comes together well for Remedy, Its nice to have game that is a bit different, hope it sells well, so we get more devs taking chances.

QD games all have a mushy, disconnected look to their character models whenever I see them. QB's, from the admittedly very small amount we've seen, look closer to Naughty Dog's work, which I think is vastly superior to QD's.
Is this referring to animation or the modelling? Because Naughty Dog animates their faces by hand, which is completely different from what Remedy and Quantic are using. Quantic are using traditional markers (Gollum LOTR) while Remedy uses a custom made solution that works similar to L.A.Noire. Since they do split recording it might result in a weird disconnect at times between what the body and what the face is doing (same issue as Noire). We will have to see if this issue rears its head as we get more footage. Basically QD and ND are similar in a way that ND does performance capture (voice + body) and QD full performance capture (voice + face + body). Animators later create the facial animations by hand in ND's case. Remedy does traditional body mo-cap and then voice and facial recording in a split session and has to work hard/hope that the results mesh well together.

In terms of modelling they are also not really comparable. ND's characters are fictional and to an extent stylized, while both QD and Remedy clone the actors 1:1. Of course there are differences in the shaders and lighting used as well.

If you mean in perceived quality then I might agree. But again, ND has the upper hand because they can afford to hand animate, which will most likely always be the best solution compared to automated. Remedy and QD have more facial animations and close-ups in general, so hand animating is out of the question for these studios. It will be interesting to see what ND will come up with going forward. It could easily go wrong too, more power doesn't always help to make faces less uncanny if you don't use it right.

Going back to the comparison I'm not really creeped out by most games anymore. Beyond is fine (I don't see any disconnect or mushiness), The Last of Us is fine and Quantum Beak looks fine to me as well (except for the woman who is a little bit creepy at times). Since the techniques, methods and engines used are so completely different it's no surprise that some might prefer Beyond over Quantum Break or vice versa. Same for TLoU and QB. Uncanny Valley is completely subjective.

You can be assured though that all 3 try their best to overcome the valley for as many people as they can and probably spend a ridiculous amount of time studying the human face. But as I said they will never please everybody and so the valley will always continue to exist.

Mask

I think people are going to be spoiled by Ryse's high quality faces. If they lower the res to 720p, they could surpass that, but I bet they've been told to get 1080p at any cost.

So will you shoot 50-60 people in the game and then have a massive episode of cognitive dissonance when the live action begins? How will they bridge that gap?

Alx

So will you shoot 50-60 people in the game and then have a massive episode of cognitive dissonance when the live action begins? How will they bridge that gap?

Apparently the show will be following the game events, but from the point of view of other characters.
Without telling too much, you'll be looking at two different sides of the coin from a story perspective

Maybe the show is about a police detective who's trying to stop that serial killer who just shot 50-60 people. :p

Hindle

Banned
The main character has time based powers doesn't he? If so, they could do some cool things with each encounter.

derFeef

The ultimate Remedy game, just like Sam said.
So hyped - SO HYPED.

Please be AW2 in disguise)

The main character has time based powers doesn't he? If so, they could do some cool things with each encounter.

Both main characters and the antagonist have those powers. All three are playable.

Has anything been said about the length of the TV episodes? Or how many there are? It can't be like a full season of 45 minute episodes, right? Especially if they can branch off in different ways. The whole thing just seems crazy, but I loves me some Remedy so I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Caayn

Before Alan Wake I didn't know a thing about Rememdy. Now that I've had a taste of their what they're capable of. I can't wait to get more. Alan Wake was great and can't wait to get my hands on this.

Alx

I think I really should start playing Alan Wake, after reading all the praises it gets... it's been sitting in my backlog for months.

derFeef

Before Alan Wake I didn't know a thing about Rememdy. Now that I've had a taste of their what they're capable of. I can't wait to get more. Alan Wake was great and can't wait to get my hands on this.

Have you played the Max Payne games? And I mean MP1 and MP2. If not, do so :)

I think I really should start playing Alan Wake, after reading all the praises it gets... it's been sitting in my backlog for months.

DO it. My favourite game of the past gen - played it like 5 times.

Caayn

Alx time to put Alan Wake a few places higher on your backlog ;)
Have you played the Max Payne games? And I mean MP1 and MP2. If not, do so :)
Never have played any Max Payne game. Don't know what but there's something that seems to turn me off about those games. Sorry :(

Swishh

Banned
Im not happy about a '10 hr story'

Well for one, devs usually exaggerate how long their games are, and secondly, 10 hours is unacceptable, way too short in my opinion.

Why would I pay $65 for a 10 hr game, when I can rent it from redbox for 2 days and pay just $4?

Might be an unpopular opinion, but oh well..

abadguy

Banned

Well for one, devs usually exaggerate how long their games are, and secondly, 10 hours is unacceptable, way too short in my opinion.

Why would I pay $65 for a 10 hr game, when I can rent it from redbox for 2 days and pay just $4?

10 hours is "too short" now? I never get the complaints about game length anyway to be honest. I remember paying 80 bucks for games like Streets of Rage 2 that had far less than ten hours of gameplay to it. It didn't matter either since the game was fun as hell and replayable. Rather have a good 10 hour game that doesn't out stay it's welcome than a boring as 40+ hour game that runs out of steam mid point through, with useless padding that i will likely never play ever again after i end it. Neither Max Payne game were very long yet i replayed the shit out of them, Played through Alan Wake multiple times as well.

Not to mention this game has an episodic structure similar to AW, so i will likely play it the same as i did that game as well. As in an episode a day.

derFeef

I don't think that's too short but you have to remember that you are not going to see everything on your first playthrough probably.

Whompa

Using real FMV is pretty lifelike...if they're talking about the cg models, there's still a way to go, especially in the hair department...

also, when has a PR person ever been 100% right with their game length claims...I feel like I always see a number and then I play about 3/4ths to a half of that number and the game is over.

Top Bottom