• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Deep Down? Here are some new screenshots. Public beta info coming in July

HORRORSHØW

Wynnebeck

Banned
Man, shoulda know Capcpom couldn't put out graphics like the original trailer when they can't even afford a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out.

dolabla

Why did they announce the game in the US if it was only meant for Japanese audiences? That's stupid.

I wonder if this game is still PS4 exclusive.

I thought it was weird how the update for DD over E3 on the PS blog said "coming to PS4" like they did for every multiplat game and not "coming exclusively to PS4" like they did for exclusives that got announced or new news.

It would explain the downgrade

I would be mad if they decided to do a PS3 version last minute and cross gen it. Downgrade explained but still

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welcome the inevitable downgrade.

And who would care? People that like to make inflammatory remarks without playing a game and seeing how good it looks for yourself and also judging a game for how fun it can be. But don't let that stop you from another hyperbolic response.

The Deep Down Excitement Thread!

Based on the videos shown at the last TGS, it looked better and funner than Dark Souls (for direct comparison to something).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh come on. This was probably one of the most obvious "there is no way this is ingame" that I have ever seen.

Did people really think this footage was possible on PS4? PC games on ultra don't even look that good.

I dunno. Have you seen some the cutscenes in Infamous: Second Son? If that's what games can look like near launch on PS4, I wouldn't be surprised to see something close to the quality of the Deep Down reveal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I do too. Thought hopefully if it's a Japan only beta they don't somehow block us out of it.

If Monster Hunter is any indication, they will. I hope it's not.

TyrantII

Been downgraded a while ago sadly. Since october 2013 iirc

iZKuL6xnskzXh.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0002.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0005.jpg

I hate this fucking trend.

ND, RAD, SP, and even CD is/hit those looks. Oh Capcom... Get your shit together.

If I had to wager a guess, their GI and fluids systems are eating up more than they though and scaled the rest rather than dump what they consider the core of their next gen engine. Maybe ICE will get some help in, but seems they're all in on Sony 1st party ATM.

jooso

I was so hyped after the original reveal, but always had some doubts about it. After f2p, awful looking gameplay and downgraded graphics, couldn't care less anymore.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was so hyped after the original reveal, but always had some doubts about it. After f2p, awful looking gameplay and downgraded graphics, couldn't care less anymore.

I guess this will be the last time we see you in a DD thread then?

Unless you want to be a concern troll. I would like for people who say this to stick to their word.

Based on everything I've seen, this looks fun and for f2p, I will at least give it a try. If it's something that burns out after 5 hours then I will say that. I just don't want some narrative to be created that skews the conversation before it even begins.

And it has happened in several DD threads.

Oh come on. This was probably one of the most obvious "there is no way this is ingame" that I have ever seen.

Did people really think this footage was possible on PS4? PC games on ultra don't even look that good.

Infamous:SS and The Order 1886 look better in my opinion.

Trace

Banned
I don't get it, are people saying it's a downgrade from what we saw at TGS last year or downgrade from the initial reveal?

A downgrade from the initial reveal, which while nice obviously wasn't gameplay. It looks like it plays great now, all this complaining about downgrading on a 60 fps action game. SMH..

wanders

So they just added the UI for shits and giggles?

They're deceiving us

I-hate-u

ND, RAD, SP, and even CD is/hit those looks. Oh Capcom... Get your shit together.

If I had to wager a guess, their GI and fluids systems are eating up more than they though and scaled the rest rather than dump what they consider the core of their next gen engine. Maybe ICE will get some help in, but seems they're all in on Sony 1st party ATM.

I was very impressed with Capcom MT's Framework for gen7. DMC4, RE5, and MvC3 look visually stunning and run really well even by today's standards. I would have wished they ported the engine to PS4 to cut down on development time, and just focus on making the actual games.

So they just added the UI for shits and giggles?

They're deceiving us

They added an obvious fake UI to give viewers a feeling of what they wanted to achieve with the game.

It's the same as with CG trailers. They're made to give you, and normal people who don't care about watching direct feed gameplay stuff, an better understanding of the game and the felling of playing it. Not an honest view at the game.

It was a conceptual video running in engine. But getting something to run in the engine is different from handling AI, network code, player input and everything else.

DOWN

Banned
The uncharted 4 teaser looks nice but that deep down CG was on another level
because it was CG
Deep Down still looks amazingly though in motion.
Ya gotta rewatch the announcement. They said it was running in engine on their new Panta Rhei engine on PS4 right? That was using the engine, but I guess they designed it before any certainty of PS4 final specs or accounting for a full game.

At 1:31:20 http://youtu.be/RiNGZMx2vhY

MormaPope

Banned
Don't worry guys, the PS5 and Xbox the 3RD will have games that look as good as PS4 games when they were first revealed.

This. I really liked the reveal of the game but now I have zero interest in it . It's like a completely different game to what was shown.

MormaPope

Banned
r26fz4.jpg

25i5fk7_thumb.jpg

24mcaoy.jpg

wr249.jpg

I'm going to assume that the Uncharted 4 reveal at E3 is what the game may look like, and not that its locked in that it'll look that way at release. Think those screens are pre-rendered on both builds, and while the Uncharted 4 reveal was in realtime, I would not be surprised if or when the downgrade happens.

c0de

http://images.lazygamer.net/2011/11/r26fz4.jpg

http://images.lazygamer.net/2011/11/25i5fk7_thumb.jpg

http://images.lazygamer.net/2011/11/24mcaoy.jpg

http://images.lazygamer.net/2011/11/wr249.jpg

I'm going to assume that the Uncharted 4 reveal at E3 is what the game may look like, and not that its locked in that it'll look that way at release. Think those screens are pre-rendered on both builds, and while the Uncharted 4 reveal was in realtime, I would not be surprised if or when the downgrade happens.

Oh_Boy_here_we_go_again_404878.jpg

In be4 changes were intended, just other daytime, scenes were only pre-rendered, and so on...

Sotha_Sil

I had high hopes for this game, but the procedurally generated environments didn't do it for me in the TGS gameplay. It's a shame because the dragon fight looked incredible.

MormaPope

Banned
Oh_Boy_here_we_go_again_404878.jpg

In be4 changes were intended, just other daytime, scenes were only pre-rendered, and so on...

I didn't venture into the Uncharted 4 reveal thread, so if I'm treading really familiar ground, I didn't mean to.

Personally I don't view downgrades as terrible, unforgivable acts. Its still odd that the bar is set so high, while the bar's original position had been lower the entire time.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not that excited or anything but will try to get into the JP beta. Maybe it'll be good.

Also under 100 replies and thread already derailed by downgrade shitposts. Good job, gaf.

Guymelef

Why not this?
uncharted_comparison--screenshot_large.jpg

Even if it could be considered a downgrade it is still one of the best looking games on any system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVAe5LLya0o

Yeah, the game looks very impressive visually these days. I mean the F2P nature is the biggest disappointment. I am pleased with the visuals.

Also, I do think the Order 1886 matches and even surpasses the original trailer in some ways. Uncharted 4 may look even more impressive...

All of those are pre-rendered, and a downgrade on pre-rendered scenes is not a big deal in any way. The actual gameplay itself looked better than those cutscene screenshots in the final build, in my opinion. Uncharted 3 was an amazing looking game.

It should have been obvious that the original reveal trailer of Deep Down was entirely CG, so of course it wouldn't look that good. But I think that, graphically, Deep Down still looks great. We're all a bit too quick throw around the word downgrade.

MormaPope

Banned
Why not this?

Better comparison would be if both pictures took place outdoors, its easy to hide visuals in dark areas. Also don't know which is which, I assumed the top is the finished version.

All of those are pre-rendered, and a downgrade on pre-rendered scenes is not a big deal in any way. The actual gameplay itself looked better than those cutscene screenshots in the final build, in my opinion. Uncharted 3 was an amazing looking game.

It should have been obvious that the original reveal trailer of Deep Down was entirely CG, so of course it wouldn't look that good. But I think that, graphically, Deep Down still looks great. We're all a bit too quick throw around the word downgrade.

I feel the main point is games change visually all the time, and E3 isn't the most reliable barometer of a how game will look.

UrbanRats

Grimløck;119019410 said:
yup, a deep down thread.

I'm sorry, but did they showed anything other than those same 2 corridors and 4 enemies? The graphics WERE their main selling point for this, let's be honest.

Lernaean

Banned
Even if it could be considered a downgrade it is still one of the best looking games on any system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVAe5LLya0o

Agreed, the game is still impressive and considering it's 60fps i think they did the right sacrifices to offer a solid gameplay experience.

The graphics WERE their main selling point for this, let's be honest.

Actually for me and many others, the selling point is the online co-op dungeon crawling / monster hunting element that is quite popular in Japan, with a twist of Dark Souls.

Ryuuga

Banned
Actually for me and many others, the selling point is the online co-op dungeon crawling / monster hunting element that is quite popular in Japan, with a twist of Dark Souls.

This right here. There have been three constants in Deep Down threads: Downgrade babble, Mimic origins and F2P haters reaffirming their hatred of the model. As for the game itself? It has too many things working against it, most glaringly that the graphics aren't as good as they tech demo they never reported as realtime or positioned as gameplay.

Top Bottom