• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Jennifer Scheurle? Now accused of preying on junior women in gaming (previously ran false hate campaign against Atari's Nolan Bushnell)

Catphish

Season 5 Fox GIF by New Girl

DapperSloth

Damn it feels good to not know any of these people.
That being said, I'm morbidly curious to know how the people at Reee are reacting to this.

I'll quote myself so you get the picture of what they feel over there.

These are actual quotes from that thread.

The thing I love most in that ResetEra thread is that they view this as just a slap on the hand.

"Please remember everyone: the answer to abuse is not abuse, it's accountability. Do not harass anyone. Do not harass."
"Man, we live in crazy times. Jennifer Scheurle's career could be over in a heartbeat (maybe rightfully so), simply based on twitter allegations."
"So what type of abuse are we talking about? I guess I don't understand exactly what she was doing to warrant the call-out."
"I don't really understand what's going on though (general abuse? not grooming but essentially grooming?) so I'll withold any kind of opinion for now, but so far it looks awful."
"This is key to all this. Noni needs help to not get harassed, and Jennifer needs to be held accountable, not harassed."

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I literally had not heard a peep about this until just now because I follow Moriarty on twitter. Insane. Props to him for doing actual journalism unlike the weasels who are too afraid to cover this.

This is exactly the issue.

Here's the thing, the IGDA is more about media appearances than developing games. Noone with an actual career or creative chops is involved, its a social club for hangers-on.
The IGDA was started by a huge fraud called Ernest Adams, who wrote a regular column on Gamasutra where he pontificated interminably about game design despite having extremely limited* actual experience doing the work!

Now they jettisoned this guy some time back, but, he's typical of the sort of person attracted to the organization. People who've had some minor involvement but leverage it mercilessly for clout, particularly in heavily politicized cliques which lends them privileged access to the media and education.

Its a bullshit organization.

*Basically the guy's claim to fame was that he was on the team for a few Madden games, however his only notable design credit was for a 1994 3DO port!

CGiRanger

Banned
I wonder if many of them are being so understanding because, like her, they also have ugly, hidden secrets. Either way, what a massive bunch of hypocrites.
Everybody now who knew she was a terrible person years ago and was called out for saying so:

captain-ray-holt-vindication.gif
Love how this has been swept under the rug.... Fucking bitch.

Now take someone even more infamous like Brianna Wu, or especially Zoe Quinn. Imagine how much shit they have buried and how institutions like IGDA and others have covered up for them by being silent or encouraging silence. Although maybe some new stuff may come out soon too:

Not to mention of course she drove someone to suicide

Last edited:

laynelane

Now take someone even more infamous like Brianna Wu, or especially Zoe Quinn. Imagine how much shit they have buried and how institutions like IGDA and others have covered up for them by being silent or encouraging silence. Although maybe some new stuff may come out soon too:

It's interesting how she feels the need to clarify she doesn't agree with the political beliefs of Quinn's victims. Almost like some have been saying they deserved to be abused for whatever reasons. So many of these people (Quinn, Scheurle, Twitter mobs, etc.) give off red flags for being abusers - an example is how Scheurle wrote against people defending themselves with proof/receipts. Any normal, sensible person will see that as a massive warning sign about her.

It seems like there's a mixture of abusers/predators, victims, and the many normal people - normal people who like to give others the benefit of the doubt which, while usually a good trait, gives people like Scheurle ample opportunity to take advantage, gain power, etc. My hope is that, over time, more people will start to see the truth about these scam artists/assholes and they'll be phased out of any positions of power.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Not surprised how social media whores attract people at the bottom. Those said people are struggling and looking for some guiding light. They know deep down they arent getting anywhere anytime fast so the best way to feel better is to chum up with internet people who claim to be or had been down in the dumps and hope they all rise together like Robin Hood succeeding as underdogs.

Unfortunately for a lot of people, their lives depend on things like internet stars and politics to get through life. When in reality, the majority of people who succeed just go about their own way doing whats right in life (ie. get an education for your career and then get a job). Cut out all the losers on social media looking for subs and click revenue or patreon donations, and look in the mirror.

Everyone knows what they need to do to get through life. But some people want to take short cuts or are relying on the wrong people for the right advice.

I love reading social media stupidity myself. Whether it's extreme political arguments or two guys fighting at Burger King, I love it. I'd suggest most people strive for seeing this stuff as entertainment than required for survival.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think it's more interesting when this last thread was made with the responses to it.

Perhaps the focus of the question should change then. If there are lots of right wing/conservative folks in game media journalism why is it they can seemingly behave themselves while these twitter activists are constantly found out for being manipulative, disingenuous hypocritess.......and at the root all sorts of these disgusting controversies.

Fahdis

Lol, ZQ, AS and this fuck are literally Narcissistic bitches who are probably Borderliners as well. So fucking glad this is happening to them. I was banned from the woke crowd back in the day on GAF because my sentiments still ring true. Look at all the victim complex these women feign but really they smeared their targets all along. This is the MO for these disordered people acting normal in the world. Fuck em!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's more interesting when this last thread was made with the responses to it.

Perhaps the focus of the question should change then. If there are lots of right wing/conservative folks in game media journalism why is it they can seemingly behave themselves while these twitter activists are constantly found out for being manipulative, disingenuous hypocritess.......and at the root all sorts of these disgusting controversies.

A few main reasons.

1. The very nature of the typical liberal and conservative will totally skew to extrovert and introvert. And chaos/stupidity vs. acting chill. When something pisses off liberals, you can bet there's a chance of riots and loud protests and squatters. When right wingers get pissy, you might get a drab redneck parade in Mississippi. Even the slew of them raiding Capitol Hill was mundane. Youd think there would be graffiti and people lighting it on fire. But it went away in a day

2. It's always easier to give lax attitudes to people mad about trivial things. It's not like youre going to change them anyway.

So if a left leaning writer goes nuts why a studio 90% white, 9% Asian and 1% other minority, it's easy to just let him vent why and not combat him or else risk being accused of being insensitive.

When the real reason might be there's more qualified people in that area are white. It's no different than the companies I work at. The sales department is always trended more to white people. So it makes sense the industry is heavily white at many companies because a lot of people who quit or get fired just get hired by another company in the same industry. So the industry personnel sticks a lot to what it already is. And the IT department seems heavy into Indian people (even for the IT departments in US and Canada). So if someone leaves, he'll probably get a new job in IT again somewhere else. Same demographic.

And the nature of liberals is accusations. So if someone tried their best to give a logical reason debating a left leaner, he might be accused of being evil when in reality he might not be and is just giving an honest opinion (whether he's right or wrong).

So sometimes it's not worth the risk of flak or hassles debating them. If you and I debated which team is better (Leafs or Canadiens) we can have a fun chat about stats and Stanley Cups and the Leaf cant even get past the first round. But if one guy is going to get into accusation and public shaming retribution, the other guy will say forget it. He'll chat sports with someone else.

Last edited:

Fahdis

A few main reasons.

1. The very nature of the typical liberal and conservative will totally skew to extrovert and introvert. And chaos/stupidity vs. acting chill. When something pisses off liberals, you can bet there's a chance of riots and loud protests and squatters. When right wingers get pissy, you might get a drab redneck parade in Mississippi. Even the slew of them raiding Capitol Hill was mundane. Youd think there would be graffiti and people lighting it on fire. But it went away in a day

2. It's always easier to give lax attitudes to people mad about trivial things. It's not like youre going to change them anyway.

So if a left leaning writer goes nuts why a studio 90% white, 9% Asian and 1% other minority, it's easy to just let him vent why and not combat him or else risk being accused of being insensitive.

When the real reason might be there's more qualified people in that area are white. It's no different than the companies I work at. The sales department is always trended more to white people. So it makes sense the industry is heavily white at many companies because a lot of people who quit or get fired just get hired by another company in the same industry. So the industry personnel sticks a lot to what it already is. And the IT department seems heavy into Indian people (even for the IT departments in US and Canada). So if someone leaves, he'll probably get a new job in IT again somewhere else. Same demographic.

And the nature of liberals is accusations. So if someone tried their best to give a logical reason debating a left leaner, he might be accused of being evil when in reality he might not be and is just giving an honest opinion (whether he's right or wrong).

So sometimes it's not worth the risk of flak or hassles debating them. If you and I debated which team is better (Leafs or Canadiens) we can have a fun chat about stats and Stanley Cups and the Leaf cant even get past the first round. But if one guy is going to get into accusation and public shaming retribution, the other guy will say forget it. He'll chat sports with someone else.

Lol, notice how Gaslighting works hard on both sides. Only this woke on woke action is literally the most amusing thing ever. Add personas and politics. ✌😎 Recipe for disaster waiting to happen in the next coming 10 years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol, notice how Gaslighting works hard on both sides. Only this woke on woke action is literally the most amusing thing ever. Add personas and politics. ✌😎 Recipe for disaster waiting to happen in the next coming 10 years.
I love it.

I got to say I like my career and get paid well to analyze the millionth spreadsheet and reply to the billionth email every day, but it can be monotonous sometimes. It's amazing how safe this kind of career is due to most people afraid of understanding spreadsheets and numbers when Excel lays it out for you!

But I thank every person on social media for their daily stupidity which brings a smile to my face. And even better since I'm work from home due to covid the past year and a half, I can do double duty working and surfing the net on my personal laptop at the same time. So funnies are never far away.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This stuff is going to continue to happen while wokism is dominant, its inevitable.

If you throw meritocracy out the window as a selection criteria for progress, how do people move up? It becomes all about climbing the social hierarchy and thus all about personal power dynamics. Its a perfect recipe for abuse of power and cronyism.

Kamina

Golden Boy
This convoluted woke nonsense is so hard to grasp, can someone tell me what exactly this harpy did?

Sentenza

Ahh yes I remember this insane bullshit artist

6ePsOVX.png
I still can't get over how these retards talk to each other.
"This is so badass and helpful", "So brave and beautiful", "Stay safe", "THIS IS NOT OK, OK?"
It's like a bunch of overgrowth mentally challenged toddlers constantly patting each other on the back and being afraid to use any non pre-filtered expression while communicating.

Last edited:

Sentenza

This convoluted woke nonsense is so hard to grasp, can someone tell me what exactly this harpy did?
My current grasp of the whole narrative is that she's been occasionally a mean bitch to some of her coworkers/underlings, which made them cry themselves to sleep while hugging their pillow.

Not that I feel invested in defending her, since I have hardly any sympathy for her character in general, but it basically sounds a whole big pile of fucking nothing as that's often the case.
It sounds like your most typical "soft people who lived for years in their fictional social media parallel world struggle to adapt to a real work environment where real people can be mean to them".

You know, like that Riot thing from some time ago: "Male co-workers exchanged sexist joke and chuckled. My god, how can I keep living with all this constant abuse??".

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
My current grasp of the whole narrative is that she's been occasionally a mean bitch to some of her coworkers/underlings, which made them cry themselves to sleep while hugging their pillow.

Not that I feel invested in defending her, since I have hardly any sympathy for her character in general, but it basically sounds a whole big pile of fucking nothing as that's often the case.
It sounds like your most typical "soft people who lived for years in their fictional social media parallel world struggle to adapt to a real work environment where real people can be mean to them".

You know, like that Riot thing from some time ago: "Male co-workers exchanged sexist joke and chuckled. My god, how can I keep living with all this constant abuse??".
Ah yes, as expected.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The reply of a bitchmade who literally could not name a name.

The go to response to try and stifle discourse.

A woke cult ringleader turning out to be a grifter? What a shock.

CGiRanger

Banned
These people are insane. The thirst for authoritarianism is real.

This is what needs to be done. More people with a platform confronting these cowards, to get them to STFU. Back them into their obscurity they had before the normie boom of the internet.
What's lost on these loons like Nathan, is the fact that Colin is more than willing to let their voices be heard and debate and doesn't advocate for shutting them down.

Nathan if given the power, would deny Colin his voice and shut down anything by him (while likely calling him a fascist). And yet he'd never have the slightest bit of self-reflection to realize that his actions are true authoritarianism/fascism.

MacReady13

These people are insane. The thirst for authoritarianism is real.

Here's the thing with these cunts (and these people are lying CUNTS, let us not mince words here). He wouldn't have the mental fortitude to go onto Colin's podcast and there is NO WAY he could defend what he has said as he is not smart enough and couldn't back up anything he says! Differing political views doesn't mean either side is wrong or right and in actual fact, who cares what someone believes in terms of politics?
No matter how many times Colin states his political views these lying cock suckers will continue to spout forth bullshit and then run and hide when confronted. Weak fuckers the lot of them. Saddest thing is no one within the industry will publicly stand up for Colin when shit like this is said yet, if it were said against someone like that fucker Brian Altano or Greg "best friends except for Colin Moriarty" Miller or ANY ONE of these faux liberal hacks then the industry would rally against pricks like that.

Goalus

Here's the thing with these cunts (and these people are lying CUNTS, let us not mince words here). He wouldn't have the mental fortitude to go onto Colin's podcast and there is NO WAY he could defend what he has said as he is not smart enough and couldn't back up anything he says! Differing political views doesn't mean either side is wrong or right and in actual fact, who cares what someone believes in terms of politics?
No matter how many times Colin states his political views these lying cock suckers will continue to spout forth bullshit and then run and hide when confronted. Weak fuckers the lot of them. Saddest thing is no one within the industry will publicly stand up for Colin when shit like this is said yet, if it were said against someone like that fucker Brian Altano or Greg "best friends except for Colin Moriarty" Miller or ANY ONE of these faux liberal hacks then the industry would rally against pricks like that.
Coming forward with your story like that is so brave and beautiful.
Stay safe, OK?

Doomtrain

That Nathan Grayson thing is so petty and narcissistic. "How dare someone disagree with MY opinions." I remember feeling that way (about non-political stuff in general) when I was maybe 12 years old. Then I grew up, realized I wasn't perfect or all-knowing, and accepted that different people are allowed to think differently than me (and that this is in fact a good thing). I think Nathan has pretty trash politics, and that he's woefully ignorant about a lot of things he professes to know a lot about. That doesn't make it mature or okay for me to follow him around the internet and slander him to his business partners.

tl;dr I don't understand how being whiney, petty, and self-centered became so in vogue.

Top Bottom