• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plywood said:
So I get the long range DMR achievement from the middle of the ridge on Breakpoint from a guy at the edge of the map who was in Range(Red reticle) of my DMR, but not off the top of Spire.

wat

Wonder if they're only checking horizontal distance, and not counting vertical at all.

Kujo

Plywood said:
So I get the long range DMR achievement from the middle of the ridge on Breakpoint from a guy at the edge of the map who was in Range(Red reticle) of my DMR, but not off the top of Spire.
Yeah I tried doing this on top of the Spire too, no go. Then I did it on top of the middle rocks in Paridiso to the enemy base and it unlocked. So maybe only horizontal distance counts like he said

Kujo

Shake Appeal said:
Someone said to me that you can only get Cross-Mappin' on slayer gametypes, which may explain the confusion.
When I tried on Spire that was BTB Slayer, so it wasn't that at least. And I'm sure that was a longer distance to what I did on Paridiso.

Shootin' and Lootin - 3,000cr
Kill 400 enemies in any game mode in Reach

Neuroscience - 1,200cr
Kill 10 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game

Light Fuse, Run Away - 1,000cr
Kill 4 enemies with grenades in a multiplayer Matchmaking game

Credits for Completion - 1,500cr
Complete 5 games in multiplayer Matchmaking

enzo_gt said:
You imply there is some sort of quick thinking involved in keeping your reticule on someone's head in a BR battle that isn't the same as you keeping your reticule on someone's head in a DMR battle. There isn't. At most, it gives someone in a DMR battle more time to escape, which is another valid point, but a separate one.

The speed between the gaps in shooting makes it easier to keep control of headshots and bodyshots. So yes in H3 it was harder to maintain control of your aimer on the opponent* which leads to way more awesome and exciting out BR's compared to Reach's out DMR's that aren't so fascinating.

*Although Reach seems to have a bit less sticky aim, so its actually harder. :D If that makes any sense.

Mind you I came in during the middle of H2 because my friends wanted me to play in their group. I was busy at the time playing UT99 and the speed and aim required for that game is just so hardcore compared to any Halo. Watch this...Really watch this, especially the shock rifle combo kills http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTCWJshCAo&feature=related

Of course I'm not saying either game requires no skill H3 required tons of skill and so does Reach, hell in competitive Reach it probably might require more than other Halos (A bit early to tell really), but most of the playlists cater so hard to the more average players that its quite urksome upon fellow Halodongers.

Falt

Good games last night, guys. Breakpoint invasion is a lot of fun!

Arnie said:
I can't wait for the 343's Halo just so we can get a proper sequel multiplayer-wise, one that isn't a side project which removes all of the mechanics I've enjoyed over the past 6 years.

Where are you pulling this from? Whimsical hope?

Falt

Dax01 said:
I think I'm going to throw my support to the group who wants Armor Lock out of matchmaking completely.

Make the change, Bungie.

Will officially never happen (across all playlists) considering they just put out an Armour Lock specific achievement. See you in Arena?

I got my "Halo: Reach" fan package today. It was a prize of a microsoft germany competition. The package contains a military green sportbag, a t-shirt and a cap. Mmh. The only thing that is useable for me is the sport bag, because the T-shirt is a size too big for me(it looks damn nice) and the cap. Oh i'm not a person who wears cap. Should I make some pics?

Gui_PT

Hey You said:
Firefight Versus: A Message From Designer Lars Bakken

Doesn't make me enjoy the playlist anymore. Its still way too easy for the Spartans to win, just kill all the AI Covenant really fast. Especially easy if its VS Grunts.

Sorry man, but that's the WORST way to go at it. And that playlist sucks because of people that play in such a way.

DO NOT kill the Grunts! Keep killing those Elites 'til you get a comfortable advantage on the other team and THEN you finish off the grunts.

The faster the grunts are gone, the faster the round ends, the less points you get.

I won't enter that playlist again 'til people learn how to play it :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
You won't, because nobody here seems to play it, despite the fact that it remedies many of their complaints about the game.

Well I can bet you I'm gonna play more Arena now that they took AL out. If you want to play some games with me soon I'm down.

Shake Appeal said:
You won't, because nobody here seems to play it, despite the fact that it remedies many of their complaints about the game.

But adds in problems of its own. A flawed rating system, and the phycological knock of realising you suck at the game. Most people like to just stick with social and not have the game insult them. :lol

I think I would enjoy the arena a whole lot more now that armour locks gone, but I would still like to see assists get the right weighting before I jump in. The last game of arena I played made me want to cry. I was 3 shotting and 4 shotting people only for them to armour lock/ sprint away/ get killed by a teammate with me not getting an assist. I RAGED and just gave up.

Sometimes Reach feels like its doing everything in its power to screw you over, im not a consistant player, I dong some games and get donged on other games, I dont wanna have the mark of shame on my account forever if I end up with a crap rank. I still dont understand the system fully, its a bit tooo confusing, and I just dont wanna risk it - you cant really judge how well your doing, I was getting like high 1500, low 1600 scores but since I could have been playing crap people who knows where I would have ended up. Also must say, that it seems like whoring power weapons is the way to go in Arena, thats just not my playstyle.

I will say that anything I say about game mechanics is opinion and short of writing a thesis explaining my point of view im never going to do my opinion justice there - people enjoy Reach for reasons I dont and vice versa. At this point though im honestly willing to say the Arena sucks, and im stating that as a fact. :lol

Falt said:
Will officially never happen (across all playlists) considering they just put out an Armour Lock specific achievement. See you in Arena?
Then some adjustments need to be made. You only get to go into Armor Lock once before it has to recharge (not three times) and if you get stuck, going into armor lock won't save you.

Shake Appeal said:

I play arena!

And its by far my worst playlist, performance wise

Miggytronz

Todays Challenges!!!! YES!!!

Knocked out 2 Chievs last night. Poppin' & Lockin' (breakpoint BTB Slayer), and Totally Worth It (Tempest CTF)

Unlocked my EVA Helmet through Waypoint as well. Twas a good night.

IyRk2.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
Then some adjustments need to be made. You only get to go into Armor Lock once before it has to recharge (not three times) and if you get stuck, going into armor lock won't save you.
Here's my idea for armor lock, a damage threshold making the armor lock more of a really strong temporary shield rather than temporary invulnerability.

After receiving too much damage it knocks them out of armor lock and puts it to recharge. I can think of certain times when they should get knocked out of it but for the hell of it I'll post some situations which I think they should be knocked out of armor lock:

-Vehicle Colliding into armor locker

-A plasma grenade that gets on the player after they've armor locked

Hell you can even keep the deflect Rockets effect and make it so people have to shoot the rockets by the armor locker but not directly at them with the rockets to damage their armor lock and they can still spam it up and down but it would make it harder to choose when to armor lock if there was a damage threshold.

The other plus side would be that it would not slow down gameplay as much as people would actively attack armor lockers.

Miggytronz

Plywood said:
Here's my idea for armor lock, a damage threshold making the armor lock more of a really strong temporary shield rather than temporary invulnerability.

After receiving too much damage it knocks them out of armor lock and puts it to recharge. I can think of certain times when they should get knocked out of it but for the hell of it I'll post some situations which I think they should be knocked out of armor lock:

-Vehicle Colliding into armor locker

-A plasma grenade that gets on the player after they've armor locked

Hell you can even keep the deflect Rockets effect and make it so people have to shoot the rockets by the armor locker but not directly at them with the rockets to damage their armor lock and they can still spam it up and down but it would make it harder to choose when to armor lock if there was a damage threshold and the other plus side is it would not slow down gameplay as much as people would actively attack armor lockers.

So make it alot more like Old Halo's and let it just be a OVERSHIELD perk. Very limited walking tank.

BlueScrote said:
I play arena!

And its by far my worst playlist, performance wise
It's everyone worst playlist, performance-wise, by design. If I didn't play Arena as much as I do (40 hours since launch), my K/D would be 1.5+ instead of 1.2+. I mean, it's 1.72 in the Noble Map Pack, but I've had seasons in the Arena where I've finished with 0.9.

And people don't want to play tight 50-49 games with K/Ds of +2 or -2. They want to dong. All the time. This is why social was always more popular than ranked.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mikasangelos said:
So make it alot more like Old Halo's and let it just be a OVERSHIELD perk. Very limited walking tank.
Basically, half of the time people use armor lock is because they threw themselves into a bad situation so you're stuck waiting to kill some guy.

Shake Appeal said:
It's everyone worst playlist, performance-wise, by design. If I didn't play Arena as much as I do (40 hours since launch), my K/D would be 1.5+ instead of 1.2+. I mean, it's 1.72 in the Noble Map Pack, but I've had seasons in the Arena where I've finished with 0.9.

And people don't want to play tight 50-49 games with K/Ds of +2 or -2. They want to dong. All the time. This is why social was always more popular than ranked.

I actually enjoy the tight competition. Sometimes. Other times I just want to play to relax (which is firefight and social).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I need to play more Arena, my K/D total on it is 1.82, this season it is 2.27(out of 7 games) and I've never bothered to get rated in the past seasons.

Miggytronz

Dax01 said:
I don't play Arena because I want to relax when I play a game.

Pretty much this. I had the same mindset since HALO 2.

in H3 in TS once i got my Grenadier rank i stopped playing that playlist in fear id lose it. So i stuck to Social 98% of the time.

Even in this game, i maybe have played Arena less than 20 times. It was just infuriating to play. I think if they took out the seasonal template of ARENA and just let it be a floating rank that will be adjusted as you continually play, people would play it more often.

Shake Appeal said:

Where are you pulling that statistic from? :lol

Personally I LOVE the tight games, theyre a lot more intense and theres a real sense theres something to lose, teamwork is critical and you have to pull it out the bag. The Arena is a lot more selfish, im not gonna lie low and let the dude with a sniper try and win it for us, im gonna go for kills for my own rating, even if that costs us the game.

Put it this way - I played Halo 3 a lot at my friends house, it was fun to dong on people at a low trueskill, but it soon became a bit dull. You dont see the good gameplay and have the really exciting moments at that level. I would much rather lose a tense game 50-49 than go +20 getting insane multikills. Its nice to do that once in a blue moon, but competative Halo is so much more fun.

The Arena seemed a lot better in the beta, I really think the lack of assists makes it more selfish.

In other news, CTF on Tempest might be my favorite thing ever.

ShinAmano

Can someone explain FF VS. I played a game last night where we destroyed the other team...killed all the AI and them multiple times in both rounds. As the covenant we killed the Spartans multiple times and lived to the end...is there a winner or is this just for points?

Arnie

Alienshogun said:
You're a classic example of a when someone who doesn't like your view point, or does/says something you yourself do not understand a you act as if opposing view doesn't 'get it', or isn't intelligent. I would re-explain myself, but I predict I would just end up saying the same thing over again, which I did indeed already explain myself, and completely understood your asinine point of view. You're wasting my time, and rather than stoop to your level and subject HaloGAF to a series of meaningless posts I'll just ignore you.
Well replies from other people show that my point of view has some traction and isn't in fact asinine. I made a point, you responded without actually counter-arguing against it, in fact talking about things unrelated to my statement.

I have shown understanding and accommodation to other people's opinions who express themselves clearly while making valid points, such as when Striker responded to me last page, I didn't say he was wrong or strike him down for his point of view, in fact the other day when I posted my article on Reach multiplayer I prefaced it with how I accept this is all people's opinion and nobody is right. So you have the situation all wrong.

Fine, don't stoop to my level, don't post actual discussion about the games mechanics like a lot of the people here because clearly these posts are "meaningless".

bobs99 ... said:
Where are you pulling that statistic from? :lol

Personally I LOVE the tight games, theyre a lot more intense and theres a real sense theres something to lose, teamwork is critical and you have to pull it out the bag. The Arena is a lot more selfish, im not gonna lie low and let the dude with a sniper try and win it for us, im gonna go for kills for my own rating, even if that costs us the game.

Put it this way - I played Halo 3 a lot at my friends house, it was fun to dong on people at a low trueskill, but it soon became a bit dull. You dont see the good gameplay and have the really exciting moments at that level. I would much rather lose a tense game 50-49 than go +20 getting insane multikills. Its nice to do that once in a blue moon, but competative Halo is so much more fun.
I think the difference for me is that when a game went down to the wire in Halo 2 or 3, you really took notice and it was a tense experience because your skill level was going to be determined by the outcome of the game. If the game goes to 49-49 in Arena, I'm less bothered about the situation because my skill level is already pretty much locked in for the match, I already now how well I personally have done so I'm less interested in the result.

I know winning games in the Arena effects your division rating too, but the transparency of it doesn't do a good job of providing that psychological thrill near the end of the match when you are pushing for the victory.

Miggytronz

ShinAmano said:
Can someone explain FF VS. I played a game last night where we destroyed the other team...killed all the AI and them multiple times in both rounds. As the covenant we killed the Spartans multiple times and lived to the end...is there a winner or is this just for points?

Points only game. Team that scores the most wins.

Killing the ELITES grants you more points than killing the AI though but your goal is to kill all AI within 3 min.

bobs99 ... said:
I would much rather lose a tense game 50-49 than go +20 getting insane multikills.
You're in the definite minority. And like you said a few posts ago:

the phycological knock of realising you suck at the game. Most people like to just stick with social and not have the game insult them.

The Arena tells you how good you are, and for the most part you can't change it. You can't grind your way out of silver by playing a ton of matches, unlike just about every other ranking system in videogames. I love the Arena, everything about it, the ideas behind it (though I agree assists should be easier to get across the whole of Reach), but I can see why most people find it punishing.

In general Bungie have set up Reach to provide close games and high competition (and this includes TrueSkilling every playlist), but most people, most of the time, don't want to be told exactly how good they are at games. They just want to be rewarded constantly and always be able to 'improve' by playing more games. Something like CoD nails both.

Reach doesn't do either, really. If you suck, it tells you you suck, and it does it over and over.

What's more, because TrueSkill is hidden, the psychological effect of you improving in TrueSkill but not having a corresponding number to display this means it feels like you are getting worse at the game as you play more games in a new playlist.

And the end result is people go and play a different game that isn't as unforgiving on someone who isn't 'pro' at it.

Arnie said:
Well replies from other people show that my point of view has some traction and isn't in fact asinine. I made a point, you responded without actually counter-arguing against it, in fact talking about things unrelated to my statement.

I have shown understanding and accommodation to other people's opinions who express themselves clearly while making valid points, such as when Striker responded to me last page, I didn't say he was wrong or strike him down for his point of view, in fact the other day when I posted my article on Reach multiplayer I prefaced it with how I accept this is all people's opinion and nobody is right. So you have the situation all wrong.
Please argue more. This is starting to get entertaining. :p

Shake Appeal said:
In general Bungie have set up Reach to provide close games and high competition (and this includes TrueSkilling every playlist), but most people, most of the time, don't want to be told exactly how good they are at games. They just want to be rewarded constantly and always be able to 'improve' by playing more games. Something like CoD nails both.

Reach doesn't do either, really. If you suck, it tells you you suck, and it does it over and over.

What's more, because TrueSkill is hidden, the psychological effect of you improving in TrueSkill but not having a corresponding number to display this means it feels like you are getting worse at the game as you play more games in a new playlist.

And the end result is people go and play a different game that isn't as unforgiving on someone who isn't 'pro' at it.

This. There are pretty much three types of people who play Halo games - hypercompetitive "pros", casual-hardcore people that aren't awesome at it but love the gameplay, and the casual/transient dudebros who play it because they feel like badasses killing other people.

I feel like Reach has done something to alienate each of those groups. The "pros" can't be consistent because of weird gameplay mechanics like melee and bloom, not to mention Armor Lock. Basically, for them, change is bad.

The casual hardcore people (like myself) who could never really get out of the level 35ish ghettos in halo 3 but loved the game for what it was (especially BTB) are now seeing wildly inconsistent results and punishing trueskill matches. I swear to god, in my few hours in the DLC hopper on Tuesday I got reamed/was reaming so hard in pretty much alternating games. It was like big team social all over again.

The transient casuals who just want a game that makes them feel awesome are gone. They aren't coming back. Nothing makes you feel as awesome as Call of Duty if all you're looking for is some back patting.

bobs99 ... said:
It depends, I guess. If I'm playing with a team of people I know and play well with, I'll love going head to head with an evenly matched team to see who comes up on top, even if that does mean losing.

If I go into matchmaking alone, I hate tight games. Making one mistake, and not having a team there to back you up, can cost you the game. A game I played with randoms on Anchor 9, we'd made a comeback from 40 - 27 to 45 - 49. I had a lapse of judgment, got myself cornered, and after I died my team went all 'Lone Wolf' and ended up getting slaughtered. I was pissed, I can tell you that much. :p

ShinAmano

Mikasangelos said:
Points only game. Team that scores the most wins.

Killing the ELITES grants you more points than killing the AI though but your goal is to kill all AI within 3 min.
Cool...this was the game in question. It shows on the Bungie site that we won, but I did not see anything in the post game stats outside of score that gave any indicator.

It is a cool mode, but I can't help but want more from it...different waves...with multiple enemy types...ahhh a guy can dream.

Shake Appeal said:
You're in the definite minority. And like you said a few posts ago:

The Arena tells you how good you are, and for the most part you can't change it. You can't grind your way out of silver by playing a ton of matches, unlike just about every other ranking system in videogames. I love the Arena, everything about it, the ideas behind it (though I agree assists should be easier to get across the whole of Reach), but I can see why most people find it punishing.

I dont think im in the minority, I think EVERYONE loves to dong on people, but ultimatly after doing that it gets boring. I might be odd in thinking this but im sure everyone prefers a challenge? Its a lot more exciting that way.

But yeah your right, the Arena is very much a ranked playlist without any of the exciting perks to ranked - its a very technical system and the fact that you dont see your rank until something like 5 days in kills it for me. Having to then carry on playing for the rest of the month to maintain your rank is even worse. I absolutely prefer faster turn around times. I do prefer the static rank that lasts the lifetime of the game that you can work at. Halo 2/ 3 had it best, you cant grind for a good rank, you cant just play a lot and rank up - you have to go and play customs and improve at the game before your next bout of ranked if you wanna rank up.

Blue Ninja said:
It depends, I guess. If I'm playing with a team of people I know and play well with, I'll love going head to head with an evenly matched team to see who comes up on top, even if that does mean losing.

If I go into matchmaking alone, I hate tight games. Making one mistake, and not having a team there to back you up, can cost you the game. A game I played with randoms on Anchor 9, we'd made a comeback from 40 - 27 to 45 - 49. I had a lapse of judgment, got myself cornered, and after I died my team went all 'Lone Wolf' and ended up getting slaughtered. I was pissed, I can tell you that much. :p

:lol Trust me I agree with that 100%

kylej

Banned
When the voting screen has Breakpoint with DMRs and either of the other two without DMRs it's like Sophie's Choice.

Miggytronz

ShinAmano said:
Cool...this was the game in question. It shows on the Bungie site that we won, but I did not see anything in the post game stats outside of score that gave any indicator.

It is a cool mode, but I can't help but want more from it...different waves...with multiple enemy types...ahhh a guy can dream.

Yeah im kinda disappointed in that its only 2v2 and the Spartans have overshields.

oddworld18 said:
The casual hardcore people (like myself) who could never really get out of the level 35ish ghettos in halo 3 but loved the game for what it was (especially BTB) are now seeing wildly inconsistent results and punishing trueskill matches. I swear to god, in my few hours in the DLC hopper on Tuesday I got reamed/was reaming so hard in pretty much alternating games. It was like big team social all over again.
+1
<3

ShinAmano

Mikasangelos said:
Yeah im kinda disappointed in that its only 2v2 and the Spartans have overshields.
Yeah I forgot the first couple times about the OS...and as an elite I would get destroyed rushing in. :lol

Arnie

I'm loving Tempest at the moment.

Multi Flag is the perfect gametype for it. I love the little DMR duels around the central rocks, and the little flank missions you can pull off in the ditches either side. The map really does have that Valhallian feeling, of being a large map but just as suitable for on foot combat as a smaller map.

Anchor 9, while I know it'll be a great map when encountered in the right playlist is beginning to annoy me with the 6 v 6 player count. Although it is definitely going to be the most voted map in Team Slayer and Arena if/when Bungie implement it. I'm glad Bungie listened and added a really good symmetrical map, it was what the game was missing.

Can't form a decent opinion of Breakpoint until I play it in Invasion. Seems unfair to judge it based off of Big Team Slayer/Sniper.

Miggytronz

Arnie said:
I'm loving Tempest at the moment.

Multi Flag is the perfect gametype for it. I love the little DMR duels around the central rocks, and the little flank missions you can pull off in the ditches either side. The map really does have that Valhallian feeling, of being a large map but just as suitable for on foot combat as a smaller map.

Anchor 9, while I know it'll be a great map when encountered in the right playlist is beginning to annoy me with the 6 v 6 player count. Although it is definitely going to be the most voted map in Team Slayer and Arena if/when Bungie implement it. I'm glad Bungie listened and added a really good symmetrical map, it was what the game was missing.

Can't form a decent opinion of Breakpoint until I play it in Invasion. Seems unfair to judge it based off of Big Team Slayer/Sniper.

I can say that Stockpile is really really fun game type for Anchor 9 .

Arnie

Mikasangelos said:
I can say that Anchor 9 is really really fun game type for Stockpile.
Definitely, I posted a few pages back agreeing completely with this sentiment. I've not really played much Stockpile since the beta so it was a breath of fresh air playing it on Anchor 9. It's like multi-flag on acid. The symmetrical layout will make Anchor 9 a favourite for many objective games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom