• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER REACH l OT

Tygeezy

:messenger_grinning_smiling: Any low skilled Halo player can head shot a few grunts. That video shows nothing, except a desperate PS fanboy. Millions of Halo fans have made shots like that with Xbox controllers, countless number of times.

The point of that post was that you can use gyroscope with a dualshock 4 but you cant with an xbox controller. The dualshock gives you objectively better performance due to the precision of gyroscope.

Jibb Smart isn't a playstation fanboy... He is playing halo on a pc.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Really cheesed that you can't join an on-going game you were booted out of because the server is donkeys/connectivity issues or them not adding a player in if someone else had disconnected. Nope, just have to ride it out with 1 or 2 less players...

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The point of that post was that you can use gyroscope with a dualshock 4 but you cant with an xbox controller. The dualshock gives you objectively better performance due to the precision of gyroscope.

Jibb Smart isn't a playstation fanboy... He is playing halo on a pc.
Ya, he was playing on PC, but that dude is also pushing gyroscope and PS4 controllers hard. I watched the complete video and I saw him do nothing special or pull off any amazing skill moves with the gyroscope and PS4 controller. In the campaign and firefight footage that he showed, it looked like he was playing on either easy or normal and all his movements were slow and deliberate. He was getting worked in PVP and didn’t do anything special.

Tygeezy

Ya, he was playing on PC, but that dude is also pushing gyroscope and PS4 controllers hard. I watched the complete video and I saw him do nothing special or pull off any amazing skill moves with the gyroscope and PS4 controller. In the campaign and firefight footage that he showed, it looked like he was playing on either easy or normal and all his movements were slow and deliberate. He was getting worked in PVP and didn’t do anything special.
It’s not about him. He pushes the tech. He’s also used the switch pro controller. He even admits the Xbox controller is superior outside of the gyroscope, but the gyroscope is too big of an advantage. He’s not trying to bash Microsoft, he is actually openly campaigning for Microsoft to add a gyroscope.

Remember halo also has heavy aim assist. You don’t need that crutch with a mouse or gyroscope.

Gyroscope is objectively superior to sticks, that’s the whole point. Don’t focus on whether he is playing multiplayer or not. It doesn’t matter how skilled he is or isn’t.

People have used the steam controller (gyroscope) and competed in counter strike, overwatch and quake champions against mouse and keyboard users.

That can’t be done with a standard game pad.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

It’s not about him. He pushes the tech. He’s also used the switch pro controller. He even admits the Xbox controller is superior outside of the gyroscope, but the gyroscope is too big of an advantage. He’s not trying to bash Microsoft, he is actually openly campaigning for Microsoft to add a gyroscope.

Remember halo also has heavy aim assist. You don’t need that crutch with a mouse or gyroscope.

Gyroscope is objectively superior to sticks, that’s the whole point. Don’t focus on whether he is playing multiplayer or not. It doesn’t matter how skilled he is or isn’t.

People have used the steam controller (gyroscope) and competed in counter strike, overwatch and quake champions against mouse and keyboard users.

That can’t be done with a standard game pad.
I still don’t see any evidence that the PS4 controller with gyroscope is on par with a keyboard and mouse or superior to an Xbox controller. All the videos I see on YouTube are people playing the campaign on easy or normal with a PS4 controller and not pulling off any amazing moves or shots. None of the multiplayer videos that I’ve seen using the PS4 controller show someone having a great game and only show average to below average performance. I can find hundreds of videos showing people having amazing multiplayer games playing Halo CE, Halo 2 Vista and now Reach/MCC using KB&M. Once people consistently start having multiplayer matches in Halo MCC PC with 20+ kills and single digits in deaths, then maybe we can say that the PS4 controller with gyroscope is a viable competitive option.

Tygeezy

I still don’t see any evidence that the PS4 controller with gyroscope is on par with a keyboard and mouse or superior to an Xbox controller. All the videos I see on YouTube are people playing the campaign on easy or normal with a PS4 controller and not pulling off any amazing moves or shots. None of the multiplayer videos that I’ve seen using the PS4 controller show someone having a great game and only show average to below average performance. I can find hundreds of videos showing people having amazing multiplayer games playing Halo CE, Halo 2 Vista and now Reach/MCC using KB&M. Once people consistently start having multiplayer matches in Halo MCC PC with 20+ kills and single digits in deaths, then maybe we can say that the PS4 controller with gyroscope is a viable competitive option.

Havoc2049

Maybe since Halo Reach is new on PC, that's why there is the lack of evidence of people playing Halo at a high level with a gyroscope controller. Maybe things will change in the future, maybe they won't. Movement and TTK in Halo is also vastly different than in games like Quake and Unreal. Experienced Halo players have also become extremely efficient over the years with the bumper/jumper setting or the "the claw" grip while using an Xbox controller. On MCC for PC, it looks like 343 still needs to dial in mouse control and make it a little tighter.

The biggest factor in any FPS is the controller between your ears. Knowledge and experience is the most important factor. When Halo 2 Vista first came out, I used to win matches all the time using an X360 controller. As time went on, the M&KB kids started to get better and I had to switch over to the using the M&KB in order to stay near the top of the leader boards. Microsoft could also be looking at cross-play for MCC in the future, like they had with Shadowrun, where the M&KB were faster, but the controller settings were very Halo sticky.

Havoc2049

Just a heads up, that there is Double XP for Medals and Medal Categories (16,000 max instead of the normal 8,000) till January 6th.

There are 30 ranks and 11 tiers for a total of 330 levels to achieve. Once you pass the General rank, your rank resets and you advance to the next Tier and start all over again.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Really enjoying the campaign, looks great on the One X. It's weird how I don't remember any of it though.

Havoc2049

Remember Reach...
YZNAPFm.png

Havoc2049

So, have they fixed the god awful audio and mouse issues yet?
Not sure. I know there has been a few smaller patches and updates, with a big patch in February. I play on XB1X. I need to download the PC version to see what’s up. Plus, it might be fun to get good with M&KB on Halo again and to see how a controller does, as it sounds like there is aim assist.

Man I was skimming through the campaign just to test drive before me and a friend were gonna coop. And I thought my sound wasn't on. It's really that bad, yall weren't joking. Honestly astonished they released it in this state

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They highlight Nibre too (obviously), Halo community/modding legend and currently working on this (sadly no new stuff to show yet):

Last edited:
Top Bottom