• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER REACH l OT

Played a couple of hours with it in multiplayer. Luckily I'm not experiencing any matchmaking problems (On east coast US). From a person who has really only played Halo 1, I'm having quite a bit of fun with it; This might become my go-to casual shooter.

waylo

Banned
You know, for how fucking long they took to work on the PC version, Reach is kind of a mess.

- Complete lack of any graphics options whatsoever. Get this console ass "Original/Enhanced" shit out of here. Let me do my settings.
- Crouching is damn near impossible unless you've been full stopped. How you fuck up crouching I'll never understand.
- You have to hold "E" to pick things up for like 3-4 seconds. I get on controller you have way less key options so some stuff might be long press, but this is utterly ridiculous on a keyboard. Been killed multiple times because you can't pick shit up fast enough.
- The audio mix is actually awful. Muffled garbage.
- The frame pacing is really bad. You can have 400 FPS, but it feels like a juttery mess. Capping FPS to 60 barely helps, but why am I capping my FPS on PC where I'm gaming with a 240Hz monitor?
- The mouse sensitivity is all over the place. Sometimes the same sense feels too fast, other times it's slow. It's really strange.
- Considering the amount of people playing, sometimes it takes fucking AGES to fill a lobby.
- Why is there zero region locking? Why are my friends and I constantly being thrown into EU servers?

Overall, like I said, for how long they developed this and how many times they delayed it because they "wanted to get it right", these hiccups are baffling and incredibly disappointing.

You know, for how fucking long they took to work on the PC version, Reach is kind of a mess.

- Complete lack of any graphics options whatsoever. Get this console ass "Original/Enhanced" shit out of here. Let me do my settings.
- Crouching is damn near impossible unless you've been full stopped. How you fuck up crouching I'll never understand.
- You have to hold "E" to pick things up for like 3-4 seconds. I get on controller you have way less key options so some stuff might be long press, but this is utterly ridiculous on a keyboard. Been killed multiple times because you can't pick shit up fast enough.
- The frame pacing is really bad. You can have 400 FPS, but it feels like a juttery mess. Capping FPS to 60 barely helps, but why am I capping my FPS on PC where I'm gaming with a 240Hz monitor?
- The mouse sensitivity is all over the place. Sometimes the same sense feels too fast, other times it's slow. It's really strange.
- Considering the amount of people playing, sometimes it takes fucking AGES to fill a lobby.
- Why is there zero region locking? Why are my friends and I constantly being thrown into EU servers?

Overall, like I said, for how long they developed this and how many times they delayed it because they "wanted to get it right", these hiccups are baffling and incredibly disappointing.

yeah I gotta be honest, I agree with everything you said here. Maybe it’s better on X but on PC I’ve been unimpressed the more I play

How did the crouch issue make it to launch?

Last edited:
So my laptop is running it rather well
Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.4Ghz
nVidia GeForce 840M 2GB DDR3
12GB DDR3-1600
Samsung SSD

It appears that I’m getting 30fps synced.

I think you need to troubleshoot. The frame pacing isn't off for me at all. Its buttery smooth literally 100% of the time at 4k native 200-250fps on 2080 and 9700k

Sound is fucked up, can't hear the guns or characters speaking. Music is blasting even if I set it all the way down. C'mon, 343, that's important =(
Man I thought it was just my TV or something because I just bought one. I swear the guns sound like pea shooters

Stuart360

Literally just got off the campaign 30mins ago and have none of those issues. Unles multiplayer is where all these problems are happening.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yep that is my only complaint. The guns sound too quiet in campaign it’s fine in multi. I forgot how much I hate Armor Lock in multiplayer.

I watched the 343 vs the world stream today and towards the end in BTB there was a guy pushing a crate across the map and somebody joked that he must have thought he was playing Death Stranding.
i tried it on the xbox one x too btw.
the audio mix is just off.
somethings are super loud other things are not like the gun sounds.
Not sure if it's dolby atmos or 5.1

as the damn sound is just off

Kagey K

Banned
i tried it on the xbox one x too btw.
the audio mix is just off.
somethings are super loud other things are not like the gun sounds.
Not sure if it's dolby atmos or 5.1

as the damn sound is just off
I’ve been playing with headphones, and the music and voices are good, it’s just the gun sounds that seem so quiet to me. They don’t have the impact it feels like they should.

Belmonte

I hope they fix the audio soon. I don't want to spoil my first time playing Reach campaign with sub par sfx.

Griffon

Yup.

The horrible sound is the most unacceptable of the lot. I simply got a refund because fuck this.

Graciaus

Going through my legendary run up until the mission with the (horrible) sabre space battle. Ended up getting a checkpoint as I was dying which loops me into a spawn death cycle. Nice.

I don't know if I just haven't played in awhile but the default FOV just didn't look correct to me.

Edit - now my legendary Playlist is glitched. Goes to a white screen and boots me back to the main menu every time I click the mission. I see the mcc is still shit even after all these years.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Anyone had any problem launching the game on Xbox ?
It freezes every fucking time after the menu screen.
I relaunched it 20 fucking times on my x before it works.
And now it the same with my second Xbox (trying to play coop with my wife)
WTF is wrong with MS games ? (State of decay 2, gears 5, halo reach...)

stickkidsam

It's good to see Halo: Reach kicks as much ass as I remember.

wake-me-up-halo.gif

It's good to be back.

Södy

when it came out people shat all over it, now they love it

the same way people shat all over halo 3, now it's one of the goats

same with halo 4

and 5

it honestly just feels like the more time goes by the more people look back fondly on old games. so following that logic people will love the shit out of halo 4 and 5 in about 12-15 years from now

Nearly every Halo fan still hates 4s mp though, haha.

BlackTron

I've been waiting for Halo on PC for an eternity and it drops one week after my gaming PC got buried in a storage unit and I'm getting by with a Dell laptop with integrated Intel 4000 graphics.

WHY??

I'm staying in a small temporary room for two months and now I'm about to set up my gaming rig for this one damn game lol.

Havoc2049

Anyone had any problem launching the game on Xbox ?
It freezes every fucking time after the menu screen.
I relaunched it 20 fucking times on my x before it works.
And now it the same with my second Xbox (trying to play coop with my wife)
WTF is wrong with MS games ? (State of decay 2, gears 5, halo reach...)
I’m playing Reach on an XB1X and I haven’t had any issues.

Phase

Given it another 5 year when halo 8 is coming out (or 7 or whatever there on now) people will be reminiscing about how things were back in the halo 4 days.
This won't be the case for those who loved the original trilogy. 4 is a huge departure from what Halo was. You can see it with Reach though (probably because even with the AA's it felt like a Halo game).

Tiamat2san

I’m playing Reach on an XB1X and I haven’t had any issues.
Once you played it nice , it’s fine .
In fact the game didn’t freeze
It was doing something for 5min without anything moving.
I wasn’t the only one.
I checked on reddit
And By the way, it’s still one of the greatest FPS of all time .
This music ♥️♥️♥️

Kev Kev

This won't be the case for those who loved the original trilogy. 4 is a huge departure from what Halo was. You can see it with Reach though (probably because even with the AA's it felt like a Halo game).
ok lol i'll check back in 5 years

it happens every time, people shat all over it, and the longer time goes by, the more iterations of that thing comes out, the more fondly people look back on the ones they used to shat on.

my money is same thing will happen with 4 and 5 given enough time

pawel86ck

Banned
I have to say X360 controller works better in this game compared to Xbox One controller. If I will move thumbstick on x360 controller the speed of movement looks like this:

slow (around 15%-40% range of thumbstick movement), fast (41-74%) and really fast (75-100%).

And now how it looks on xbox one controller:

slow (15-50%), fast (51-60%), really fast (61-100)

So the speed of thumbstick movement is altered on xbox one controller and it makes aiming more difficult because the transition between slow and really fast thumbstick movement isnt so smooth. People think Xbox one controller should work like x360 controller, but it's clearly not the case and it makes the biggest difference in xbox 360 games like halo reach, because these games were made with x360 controller in mind, not xbox one controller.

Phase

ok lol i'll check back in 5 years

it happens every time, people shat all over it, and the longer time goes by, the more iterations of that thing comes out, the more fondly people look back on the ones they used to shat on.

my money is same thing will happen with 4 and 5 given enough time
I'd say this will only be true for those who's first Halo game was 4.

I have to say X360 controller works better in this game compared to Xbox One controller. If I will move thumbstick on x360 controller the speed of movement looks like this:

slow (around 15%-40% range of thumbstick movement), fast (41-74%) and really fast (75-100%).

And now how it looks on xbox one controller:

slow (15-50%), fast (51-60%), really fast (61-100)

So the speed of thumbstick movement is altered on xbox one controller and it makes aiming more difficult because the transition between slow and really fast thumbstick movement isnt so smooth. People think Xbox one controller should work like x360 controller, but it's clearly not the case and it makes the biggest difference in xbox 360 games like halo reach, because these games were made with x360 controller in mind, not xbox one controller.

Have you tried adjusting the analog curves on the sticks to compensate using the accosories app? I made a setting specifically for Reach because I noticed the same thing.

pawel86ck

Banned
Have you tried adjusting the analog curves on the sticks to compensate using the accosories app? I made a setting specifically for Reach because I noticed the same thing.
Currently I only have standard xbox one controller, while "accesories" app is designed to work only with elite controller. My x360 controller works perfectly in this game, so it's not a big problem for me, however I wish xbox one controller would work the same way as x360 controller. Your xbox elite controller can replicate xbox360 analog curves with good results thanks to "accesories" app? Can you share your impressions?

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Given it another 5 year when halo 8 is coming out (or 7 or whatever there on now) people will be reminiscing about how things were back in the halo 4 days.
Some people are wrong, we already know this. Most people though remember when Halo was actually good and not just decent with a string of asterisks.

I hate how we can no longer upgrade Noble Six's armor through the SP
Wait what?? Can you not customize your single player armor?

Currently I only have standard xbox one controller, while "accesories" app is designed to work only with elite controller. My x360 controller works perfectly in this game, so it's not a big problem for me, however I wish xbox one controller would work the same way as x360 controller. Your xbox elite controller can replicate xbox360 analog curves with good results thanks to "accesories" app? Can you share your impressions?

I wasn't aware you couldn't change the analog curves on the regular controller in the accessories app but I just tried with my S controller and sure enough the option is not there. That's weird as it's just a software change in the system and there is nothing special about the Elite S1 or S2 vs. the standard controller in this regard. You can physically change the spring tension, but everything else is handled in the console/PC with regards to the analog curves. There are lots of programs that let you change the curves on any controller on PC. I have no idea why Microsoft would lock that ability out for the regular controller. What a stupid decision, but then again they haven't figured out how to let you reset center or expand the deadzone on the controllers either despite a ton of people experiencing drift going back decades. I guess it must be cheaper to replace hundreds of controllers for drift issues than to have Steve downstairs write up a few lines of code to eliminate it. /rant

Anyways... about Reach/adjusted curves. I imagine the reason Halo does the warped response curve was simply getting an FPS to play well with controllers in the first place so you aren't flailing around like a madman just trying to get pointed in the right direction. A lot of the console-based FPS had a similar delay built-in. Same goes for aim assist, which I generally find to make things worse than with it off. So just like you said aim is sluggish, then accelerated as you move from the center outward. This is exacerbated by the factory curve setting on the Xbone S controller which also has a slower initial curve off the dead zone which accelerates as the stick moves further from it's dead zone.

There is an option in the settings menu under controls called 'Aim Control' that lets you pick between modern and classic. If you currently have this set to modern, set it to classic as it fixes a lot of the delayed movement. You can also adjust sensitivity here which can go a long way to mitigate the issue.

On the controller side I've set the curves on both my sticks to the aggressive setting with a maxed slider and play with full tension. This not only completely eliminates the aim lag, but I can reverse it to the point my stick movement feels completely linear in the game. With full tension the sticks are similar to the OG X360 spring tension so that feels right now as well. I'm also experimenting with using a shift key to use a second curve on my aim stick which works great, at least until I try to zoom down a scoped weapon which for some reason keeps kicking me out of the scoped view when I hold the shift button, which I haven't had an issue with in other games. For weapons like the DMR or the handgun it works really well, though so I hope I figure it out. I could just stick to KB/M but Halo feels more at home with a controller to me.

Belmonte

I'm having so much fun with the multiplayer that I almost regret buying Modern Warfare on black friday. Now, I'm glad I had a bug when I tried to install COD.

I'm surprised some people felt Reach was too COD for their tastes and Halo 2-3 were much better. If this is true, I can't wait to play them because, from my point of view, as a dude who only finished Halo 1 for PC, the multiplayer is highly refreshing. It feels like a Battlefield, with cool vehicles -damn, I love so much the vehicles!- but with a lot of time to kill. It really takes effort, it is not about killing unaware enemies like many modern FPSs.

So good. I like how there is a chance to escape from enemy fire. It was my favorite thing when playing Uncharted 2 beta at the time. You can be more aggressive this way.

stickkidsam

I'm having so much fun with the multiplayer that I almost regret buying Modern Warfare on black friday. Now, I'm glad I had a bug when I tried to install COD.

I'm surprised some people felt Reach was too COD for their tastes and Halo 2-3 were much better. If this is true, I can't wait to play them because, from my point of view, as a dude who only finished Halo 1 for PC, the multiplayer is highly refreshing. It feels like a Battlefield, with cool vehicles -damn, I love so much the vehicles!- but with a lot of time to kill. It really takes effort, it is not about killing unaware enemies like many modern FPSs.

So good. I like how there is a chance to escape from enemy fire. It was my favorite thing when playing Uncharted 2 beta at the time. You can be more aggressive this way.
The main issue people took with Reach back in the day was the movement being slightly slower and Armor Abilities being introduced (e.g. Jetpack impacts map design, armor lock is bullshit, Sprint let's people run away).

Personally I really loved the addition of these things though. They seemed to compliment Halo's gameplay for the most part and added a fun twist on equipment from Halo 3 (one time use items like trip mines or shields). Halo 4 is where things smelled of spoiled fish.

Phase

Have fun man. I'm excited for when 2 and 3 come out for you. I wish I could replay these games for the first time again. I think I've played more Halo than every other game combined in my lifetime. CE was great, but 2 and 3's MP took over my life for years and years.

Top Bottom