• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering the Deus Ex: Human Revolution Demo Leak

Riposte

A few months before it came out in 2011, Human Revolution had a huge leak where its whole first chapter/city hub could be freely downloaded and played - with questionable legality, admittedly. For context, there was concern over the idea HR would be a bad game because of the status Deus Ex holds and still holds today. I myself consider DX my unquestionable favorite game of all time. DX remains fairly unique in its quality even today, but back then it was something symbolic given the perceived notions of how gaming was changing (this is a tendency I'm come to strongly dislike, actually). I remember that era as being more cynical in character to begin with, at least I think that was true for myself, given I was still occasionally posting on /v/ at the time. The overall reception from game journos at the recent E3 was pretty negative too, although it should be noted the positive previews tended to be the more detailed and articulate ones.

So the thing comes out and spreads pretty quickly. There's a thread on NeoGAF where you were allowed to talk about your reaction, but obviously not post links to how to get it. The reception turned out to be overall very positive with some people going as far as saying they preordering the game because of it. I was one of them; I did it as soon as I finished it (and it was my first time using Green Man Gaming, in fact). I was very hyped up at the time - I mean I played it twice, back to back. I like to look at it as we got something of an overgenerous demo that couldn't have represented the game better (and there may have been an atmosphere of excitement owed to the fact it was a leak). Reading my posts in that old NeoGAF thread, I was a little surprised by how enthusiastic I was, because ultimately I was not enamored with the game itself. Combined with lowered expectations I no longer had for the final release, I think the "demo" ended up being the most solid hours of the game. I hadn't realized my problems with its level design, its progression system, and how it plateaus pretty early (if not during the leak's hub), naturally. Maybe my Deus Ex fanboyism is just too strong! Anyway, one thing that cracked me up about that thread is how people were tearing up the negative E3 impressions now they could play the game themselves.

The leak has been something I've occasionally thought about in terms of its use as a demo. I wonder if something like this, just handing out a huge chuck of your (single-player) game, could or should be purposefully replicated. Maybe it was a perfect scenario to see the most benefit from it, considering the state of PC gaming cynicism. There has been a lot said on how having demo may end up hurting your game, so I don't really know. Square-Enix (having recently absorbed Eidios) ended up suing the guys who leaked it, although it was for a relatively paltry amount. What was unusual, and appreciated, was how the devs turned around and turned this into an opportunity:
Surprisingly, developer Eidos Montreal has allowed users to comment about the leak on the game's forum. Community Manager Kyle Stallock even encouraged users to share links to non-press reviews and comments on the leak. Torrents of the leak remain available on popular torrent sites, yet to be taken down by publisher Square Enix - not that it's certain Square could stop the leak, at this point, if it wanted.

After months of delays and speculation from series fans on whether this would be a worthy successor to one of the PC's most beloved games, this leak might have helped the game more than hurt it. There are posts on Eidos' forum and NeoGAF.com, claiming the quality of the game surprised them and they are now making a pre-order.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110548-Leaked-Deus-Ex-Preview-Build-Impresses-Fans

Considering the sequel is coming out soon, it's something that's been on my mind. Although I would consider Human Revolution to be somewhat mediocre overall, it's a kind of game that I'm glad exists and was happy to play it even when it disappointed at times. I'm going into Mankind Divided perhaps not nearly as excited as I was for HR, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a good time with it. If the first 5-10 hours of MD were to drop into my lap suddenly, now would be a good time.

KorrZ

I don't think the leak can be underestimated in how much it helped the perception of that game. People were very skeptical on if they could make a proper Deus Ex game (including myself) and well, that "demo" allayed all fears.

I played the leak and was instantly craving more. Definitely ensured that I was a day one buyer which I might not have been otherwise.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think the leak is actually what really launched my hype for the game.

Before, it really just looked like another reboot that had a 90% chance to be completely forgettable. But after playing the demo, I was blown away and immediately preordered the game.

Bonus points to Eidos for rolling with the leak and letting people talk about it on their forums, too. It was a really nice gesture.

Nzyme32

Oh! I remember. Me and a friend had loads of drinks, and as old Deus Ex fans he'd grabbed the leaked demo thing and played it through several times in increasingly stupid ways, and eventually got so determined that there must be a way to keep playing past a point where Malik's aircraft wouldn't take you anywhere.

Was great fun at the time, and we both were already set on getting the game.

Also bought the game because of the leak. I know a few other people in the same boat. If your game is really that good, a demo is all people usually need to give them that extra nudge.

I never played the leak but I do remember being super cynical about the game and then reading the impressions of people who played it. It changed my mind about the game.

Cramoss

I was going to get the game anyways but I played the leak which ran pretty bad on my PC at the time so I got the PS3 version. I still have it.

br3wnor

The lack of single player demos these days is a bit baffling.

I wasn't a part of playing the Deus Ex leak, but more recently, the Doom demo is the main reason I bought the game. I had read the reviews and heard the chatter, but it wasn't until I played a nice chunk of the game that I thought I really needed to buy it.

Especially when you have a 10+ hour game, I don't see the harm in releasing the first hour or so of the game to the public ahead of release if you're confident in its quality. It's a great way for a 'non juggernaut' release to get the exposure it needs to get more people to give it a shot.

The leak really changed the mood around the game. Anyone remember that YouTube video parodying the yellow filter and outlined objects?

I'm glad. It was a damn good game and everyone realized it once they had their hands on it.

Chozo_Lord

This is a little different than this, but the reason why I pre-ordered Mankind Divided was that I got HR for free on ps3 with ps+. It turned out to be an incredible game (easily top 10 last gen for me) and I'm greatly looking forward to MD.

Kinyou

I didn't play the leak myself, but all the positive reception made me very confident in the game. Bought it on release day, I think.

Despera

Banned
Spent 8 hours on that demo lol. It was huge.

When I got my hands on the full game I had a good idea of what I wanted to upgrade/unlock early on, which made the full experience even more enjoyable. Can't wait for MD.

Did not remember this leak. I got on the HR hype train shortly before it's release. Before then I had always appreciated the Deus Ex games from afar but never really got into them. I got HR at launch but didn't really dig into the game until the DLC came out. I got up to where the DLC starts, played through the DLC and that's where I stopped with the game.

I picked up director's cut for dirt cheap a few years ago and have been meaning to really dig into it because I definitely enjoyed what I played. The visuals aren't amazing, the voice acting is bad and the story is mediocre but I had a lot of fun playing this game. I want to get Mankind Divided but nowadays for games like this I often wait for the price to drop enough to wear I can get the game with the season pass for $60 or less, so that's probably what I'll do here.

Just out of curiosity does the console versions of Director's Cut have an FOV slider? I know this is very uncommon for console games to have but it's definitely not unheard of (the recent re-releases of RE5 & RE6 on PS4/X1 has FOV settings for example). I ask because I would be really interested in checking out the WiiU version. I'm just curious to see what they did with that version of the game.

charsace

I played that demo a ton. Still remember that thread. Before the leak there were a lot of doubters or people who just didn't care this game was coming. The leak changed everything.

Just out of curiosity does the console versions of Director's Cut have an FOV slider? I know this is very uncommon for console games to have but it's definitely not unheard of (the recent re-releases of RE5 & RE6 on PS4/X1 has FOV settings for example). I ask because I would be really interested in checking out the WiiU version. I'm just curious to see what they did with that version of the game.

PS3 version did not, so I wouldn't expect one on Wii U either.

Phinor

I was very cynical about HR before the leak. Previews were average at best at that point. Obviously I hoped it would be good but making a Deus Ex for a new generation while staying true to the original game? That's just not going to happen. I admit I played the leaked version, only an hour or two because by that point I was completely convinced that while it was going to be a bit rough on the edges, this is in fact a proper Deus Ex game that is going to release in 2011. Pre-purchased because of that leak and it was also my introduction to Green Man Gaming (RIP). Also convinced few friends who were fans of the original Deus Ex to blind buy the game. They were happy afterwards.

That leak helped tremendously at least with the more cynical (and/or older) PC player base.

Bear

This was definitely among the most memorable and effective leaks in recent history.

Pretty much everyone (myself included) was extremely skeptical that they would capture what made the first game so great and early previews weren't all that reassuring. The leak marked a dramatic shift in the general attitude towards the game and convinced many people (again, myself included) to preorder the game despite the risks.

It was basically a lengthy demo for a game that needed it. Many people were wary of another shitty "modernized" sequel and it's the kind of game that had to show extensive gameplay to convince people otherwise.

batfax

Yeah, the leak was easily one of the greatest things that could've happened to HR. Like a lot of others, I was really unsure about this new team making a Deus Ex game and ended up preordering it immediately after finishing the demo. Due to it being a game about conspiracies I always liked to joke with my friends that the leak was totally intentional since it had such a great effect on all of us.

I haven't played the leaked demo, but the positive impressions convinced me to buy the game

No regrets. One of my top favorite games of last-gen.

I was JUST thinking about this last night and secretly hoping for a similar MD leak.

I played the leak through one time. Then a second, and a third time. If I remember properly, it ended at the end of the secret FEMA camp, right before you got to Heng Sha.

Between the leak and the few playthroughs of the full game, I must have played through that entire sequence 6 or 7 times.

The more i think about it, HR was my favorite game of last gen.

Yeah I saw the leak on /v/ and thought "why not".

Remember being really impressed with it at the time, and moreover that having played the original it *felt* like Deus Ex

Deadbeat

Banned
The leak got me to buy the game. It was pretty awesome. It has its faults but it is a lot closer to the original compared to invisible war. They should have leaked a press build of md after e3 to build the hype. Missed opportunity.

What's funny is Crysis 2 had an alpha leak earlier that year and all it did was show off how much the sequel regressed from Crysis 1 and warhead.

Permanently A

The leak and subsequent positive reactions to the leak tremendously helped HR's image. Fan reception went from "I hope they don't fuck it up" to "one of the best games of this gen"

Carlius

Banned
agreed. this and the crysis 2 leal convinced me of buying both games. too bad crysis 2 leak was much better than the final game lmao-.

Krabboss

I bought the game because I had a great time playing the leak and then never played the game again because I didn't feel like playing through the first zone again.

Syriel

This was definitely among the most memorable and effective leaks in recent history.

Pretty much everyone (myself included) was extremely skeptical that they would capture what made the first game so great and early previews weren't all that reassuring. The leak marked a dramatic shift in the general attitude towards the game and convinced many people (again, myself included) to preorder the game despite the risks.

It was basically a lengthy demo for a game that needed it. Many people were wary of another shitty "modernized" sequel and it's the kind of game that had to show extensive gameplay to convince people otherwise.

It was the preview code that was send out to press. It wasn't a demo. That was the chunk of the game that the media saw and used to write hands-on previews.

Still convinced that they leaked the game to bring hype to maximum levels.

Nope. Just someone who cared more about eFame than NDAs.

Bear

It was the preview code that was send out to press. It wasn't a demo. That was the chunk of the game that the media saw and used to write hands-on previews..

I know that, hence the qualifier "basically".

It ended up serving that purpose in the eyes of the public even though that was never the intention.

CHC

Yep, as many others have suggested, the leak was a big boon for HR. I'll admit that I downloaded it - I was so excited for the game I just couldn't resist - and it was definitely vindicating seeing that the game was pretty much what they promised it would be.

Same as many others in the thread, was deeply skeptical about a reboot, played the leak, loved it, preordered immediately. The final product more than met my expectations.

It's funny because for MD I'm pretty much on a complete media blackout. I watched the first trailer, the DX 101 video, and I know the city the first mission takes place in. I'm looking to be very surprised.

I remember the demo for Deus Ex Invisible War.

The PC demo had the Xbox UI settings enabled. It was all sorts of fucked up. (Oversized HUD, mouse was laggy, huge hitboxes, etc.)

This was after they said making the game for consoles wouldn't affect PC development.

They never patched the demo and told people not to judge the final product on the shitty fucking demo they put out.

Tovarisc

I still remembered IW and what pile of shit it was when compared to original DX so Human Revolution didn't get much attention or expectations from me. Then demo leak happened and got to play it, instant pre-order. Sold me on HR so fast.

gdt

Before the leak the game was getting ripped to shreds on here and most everywhere else. Its crazy the effect that leak had. The great buzz turned me into a day 1 buyer. Loved HR.

I'm pretty sure I was planning on getting HR regardless, but once I got my hands on the leak I knew it was going to be something special. It wasn't perfect, but you can tell the designers were invested in recapturing the open-ended sensibility of the original.

Ironically, while I was all too happy to play the first third of HR to validate my hype, for MD I've been on almost a complete media blackout--beyond the announcement trailer and a few screenshots, I haven't seen anything of the game. The Deus Ex team proved to me that they know what they're doing; I've got faith that they'll deliver a second time.

SOLDIER

I remember GAF bashing the hell out of the leaked demo too.

Seems yelling at unfinished products is an all-time standard.

Top Bottom