• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Remnant-2.jpg

Game Title: Remnant II

Platforms:

• PC (Jul 25, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 25, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jul 25, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Gunfire Games

Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 92% recommended - 12 reviews

Nd8AbSV.png

Critic Reviews​

ACG - Buy
"A huge improvement on the original with some mechanics changes that might rub prior title holders the wrong way. Performance isn't the best but the core gameplay and loop is awesome!"

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 90 / 100
If you have a fondness for engaging shooting mechanics, visually stunning landscapes, and well-designed enemies, along with a certain level of tolerance for Souls-like games, then Remnant 2 is unquestionably the perfect game for you.

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 9 / 10
Remnant II, however, manages to linger in my mind with its glow-up: memorable, impressive, and damningly fun.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 7 / 10
Remnant 2 builds on its predecessor to create a rewarding and unpredictable experience that's difficult to put down.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5
Building on everything that was great about the original - from enemy variety to boss design to the means by which one can customize their play-style - Remnant II just about scrapes by with a follow-up that befits the mantle of "bigger, better, bolder" in numerous ways.

Saving Content - Evan Rowe - 5 / 5
Remnant II is a deeply imaginative, incredibly well designed game that will excite and thrill you repeatedly. It’s incredible to play with friends, and it’s an adventure unlike almost anything else I’ve ever seen, except for Remnant: From the Ashes. Remnant II builds on the template set out by its predecessor and pushes it to amazing new heights, and it is everything you could ask from a sequel and so much more.

Seasoned Gaming - Patrick Shields - 8.5 / 10
I can't get enough of Remnant 2. When I'm not playing, I'm often thinking about new upgrade paths, character builds, and play styles to explore while adventuring through Remnant 2's engaging worlds.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5
Gunfire Games has taken everything it learned with Remnant From the Ashes and expanded on it in such a massive way that I don't think it can top it. But I'm more than happy to see them try. There's something for Remnant junkies, action RPG and Soulslike fans to enjoy, but more importantly, the game screams fun.

Try Hard Guides - Christian Harrison - 6.5 / 10
As much as I wanted to enjoy Remnant 2, I don’t think that a game should be that level of hassle just to get through the first experience it offers. It’s not a bad idea to make boss fights a little harder when more players involved, but your game has to be approachable by players or it will not make a wave among similar titles. Paired with the technical and extreme connectivity issues that we experienced during gameplay, it’s hard to recommend this game to anyone who wants to play without Google open for guides and server status checks.

VideoGamer - Alex Raisbeck - 8 / 10
Remnant 2 successfully evolves on its predecessor, isolating and expanding upon the best aspects to create a cohesive and challenging shooter experience, supplemented by stunningly designed environments and a unique story system. A cooperative game at heart, its single-player campaign takes a hit, but never enough to substantially detract from the game’s successes.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10
Remnant 2 is one of the best co-op experiences you can have right now, and it improves on the original in every single way. Its satisfying mix of melee and ranged combat, memorable boss fights full of creativity, tons of enemy variety scattered in each biome and excellent presentation make it Gunfire Games' best title to date.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7.6 / 10
Remnant II tickles greatness but falls short due to a few design choices. It is gorgeous, plays incredibly well, and should be one of the year’s best releases. I’m not sure if my issues with the game can be easily patched out, but I hope the devs at Gunfire Games give this one the same love the first game received over time.

splattered

Hmm better than i expected. I never got around to playing the first one so have no expectations for the sequel... but it looks interesting either way.

GymWolf

Here some reviews for people who care and are on the edge.

Dynasty8

Polygon guy/girl hated it. The end of the review basically complained that it's so hot in California and that they reviewer was sick of post apocalypse games. Okay..

The real-world moment into which Remnant 2 launches doesn’t do it any favors, either. It took me 16 hours to finish the game’s campaign, planning early-morning and late-night sessions around a climate change-induced California heat wave so as to not exacerbate the daily triple-degree temperatures already turning my home into a sweat lodge. Folks, there’s no point in fearing some hypothetical apocalypse waiting for us over the horizon. We’re living through one right now. It’s just so slow-moving and boring that our dumb amphibian brains are instead making entertainment out of the water getting hotter around us like it’s not seconds away from a rolling boil.

I’m over the post-apocalypse, and it’s going to take one hell of a game to get me interested in such a bleak setting for the foreseeable future.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Those reviews sound like they're gushing with praise.

I remember trying the first one somehow and thought it was just okay. Maybe it was on PS+ or something, can't remember. Might have to keep an eye on this if it can be played solo.

Those reviews sound like they're gushing with praise.

I remember trying the first one somehow and thought it was just okay. Maybe it was on PS+ or something, can't remember. Might have to keep an eye on this if it can be played solo.

First one is a slog playing solo. But in coop it's one of my favourites.

It doesn't have story, lore etc that can keep solo playthrough interesting. I don't notice these things in coop

GymWolf

First one is a slog playing solo. But in coop it's one of my favourites.

It doesn't have story, lore etc that can keep solo playthrough interesting. I don't notice these things in coop
I very much enjoyed the game solo.

It has a souls way to tell the story so it's all a matter of how intrigued you are by the lore.

The sequel seems to ramp up the narrative with more cutscenes, voice work and shit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
People keep saying these games are Souls-likes, but aren't they mission based? I seem to remember bouncing off the first one hard because of that.

Sleepwalker

People keep saying these games are Souls-likes, but aren't they mission based? I seem to remember bouncing off the first one hard because of that.
I beat the first and while there are overarching missions, they are mostly non linear with tons of different paths. Eventually you will find a world boss after exploring the levels and that will take you to the next level.

spons

Gold Member
Polygon guy/girl hated it. The end of the review basically complained that it's so hot in California and that they reviewer was sick of post apocalypse games. Okay..
The real-world moment into which this Remnant 2 review launches doesn’t do it any favors, either. It took me 2 minutes to read the review's summary, planning early-morning and late-night sessions around a climate change-induced California heat wave so as to not exacerbate the daily triple-degree temperatures already turning my home into a sweat lodge. Folks, there’s no point in fearing some hypothetical apocalypse waiting for us over the horizon. We’re living through one right now. It’s just so slow-moving and boring that our dumb amphibian brains are instead making entertainment out of the water getting hotter around us like it’s not seconds away from a rolling boil.

I’m over Polygon, and it’s going to take one hell of a review to get me interested in such a bleak website for the foreseeable future.

Dynasty8

polygon and kotaku are the worst. Why they even reviewing games?

Yeah, not sure. I definitely don't take anything both of those activist sites say seriously. I feel like their demographic is the angry entitled just started college student who hates the world and thinks EVERYTHING is injustice.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

4/10

oof-old-man.gif

Weird review though.
Their "Veredict" doesn't sound like a 4/10 game
If you’re seeking a gaming experience that’s out of this world, then Remnant 2 is certainly worth considering. While it can be challenging to play alone, joining forces with your friends can make all the difference in the world. The combat system becomes less demanding, particularly with the dodge mechanics that have been implemented. While the graphics and storyline may not be mind-blowing, the game more than compensates for it with its expansive open world, which provides an abundance of possibilities for exploration. The dynamic generation feature turns Remnant 2 into a game you and your friends can enjoy for an extended period, resulting in one of the most replayable games of the year. Still, I was disappointed with the long-awaited sequel due to frustrating character mechanics, outdated visuals, and lack of a compelling story to connect with.

GymWolf

I think it's because the games are harder than your average tps, enemies do a lot of damage, there a lot of bosses, you lose currency when you die, weapons are all handcrafted not like a looter shooter with random stats and the way of telling the story is similar to souls, also exploration with obtuse puzzle solving without handholding and multi-stage sidequests.

It is just easy to call the game a souls with guns instead of a tps with rpg elements.

Even if you don't have official written missions in souls, you still have to do precise steps to finish the game, you can't just go to the final boss (i think).

Last edited:

Interfectum

"planning early-morning and late-night sessions around a climate change-induced California heat wave so as to not exacerbate the daily triple-degree temperatures already turning my home into a sweat lodge"

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr
Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-ben-affleck-sad-smoke.rvertical.w330.jpg

Does anyone know when Cdkeys will send out Ultimate Edition keys? If they send them out tomorrow then I might just preorder tonight.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm torn. I liked the first one but lost interest quickly. This looks like everything I wanted but I just might not have time to play it.

phant0m

This should be banned as a proper review. This has nothing to do with the game. I hate Polygon and Kotaku so much.

Can we identify at what point we allowed reviews to include topics outside of the game itself? I'm sure it was gradual and whatnot but it's really ramped up over the last 2 years and I kind of fucking hate it. It's like giving a movie a bad score because your popcorn was stale and the guy at the ticket booth didn't address you with your preferred pronoun.

Does anyone know when Cdkeys will send out Ultimate Edition keys? If they send them out tomorrow then I might just preorder tonight.

Dunno about CDK, but GMG already sent me my Ultimate edition key.

Tedditalk

Pre ordering when I get home. Some of the reviews for this game are just a complete embarrassment. All I am learning is that major publishers and fan favorite games get a +1, or are given to someone that have a bias for the genre that the game is in. The only real question, is this done because they are afraid of fanboy harassment, or do not want to lose out on exclusive footage in the future.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
anyone knows this game is suitable for solo play ?Never played the first one

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Can't wait to jump in. Enjoyed my trip through the first game, this looks like a solid improvement!

Looks like the game unlocks around 8pm tonight in the UK on PS5, has there been any confirmation of this? Tempted to get it on there just in case friends pick it up (they don't have PC). Also, has there been any comment on PS5 performance?

GymWolf

Looks like the game unlocks around 8pm tonight in the UK on PS5, has there been any confirmation of this? Tempted to get it on there just in case friends pick it up (they don't have PC). Also, has there been any comment on PS5 performance?
From what i heard, ps5 perf mode is almost locked, but it was just one dude on reeee that reviewed the game.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

I really wonder why do companies keep sending review keys to sites like these.
Why bother giving review copies to people that are so unprofessional?

Top Bottom