• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

Playing wreckfest PS5 last night was making my PS5 scream like crazy. Had to turn the volume up a little bit to drown it out. It's not the end of the world, but it was a little annoying.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Playing wreckfest PS5 last night was making my PS5 scream like crazy. Had to turn the volume up a little bit to drown it out. It's not the end of the world, but it was a little annoying.
My ps5 is is whisper quiet whilst playing Wreckfest! Is your ps5 vertical or horizontal? Does it have enough space all around it disperse the warm air?

Last edited:
My ps5 is is whisper quiet whilst playing Wreckfest! Is your ps5 vertical or horizontal? Does it have enough space all around it disperse the warm air?
Standing up in the open. Nothing really around it except my monitor next to it. Should have plenty of space. I don't think it's heat the causes it. Some PS5s are louder than others. It's not that big of a deal to me. It's slightly annoying but I'll take a little whine over the jet sounds of the PS4 Pro any day.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Standing up in the open. Nothing really around it except my monitor next to it. Should have plenty of space. I don't think it's heat the causes it. Some PS5s are louder than others. It's not that big of a deal to me. It's slightly annoying but I'll take a little whine over the jet sounds of the PS4 Pro any day.
Maybe try horizontal if it gets worse.🤔

maurice28

Neo Member
I've had mine horizontal and vertical, and they both seem about the same in terms of noise. As Dust-by-Monday Dust-by-Monday says, I don't think it's heat related, just one of those things that varies console to console. The noise of Wreckfest drowned it out for me, but I could certainly hear it while playing the Resident Evil Village demo during the quiet bits, which kills the immersion a tiny bit!

I've had mine horizontal and vertical, and they both seem about the same in terms of noise. As Dust-by-Monday Dust-by-Monday says, I don't think it's heat related, just one of those things that varies console to console. The noise of Wreckfest drowned it out for me, but I could certainly hear it while playing the Resident Evil Village demo during the quiet bits, which kills the immersion a tiny bit!
Exactly, it's not a huge problem, but since I play on a monitor, I sit really close to my console and it's right in ear-shot. I'm sure if it was 10 feet from me on a TV stand, it would be virtually silent.

maurice28

Neo Member
Exactly, it's not a huge problem, but since I play on a monitor, I sit really close to my console and it's right in ear-shot. I'm sure if it was 10 feet from me on a TV stand, it would be virtually silent.
That could be the case - I can still hear mine from about 7 feet away on the sofa, but only when TV noise is very quiet. Sometimes it just mingles with the sound of the fans, which themselves aren't that loud either.

I've' posted in this thread before that I have had three PS5's so far and all of them had a ratteling/loud fan. I kept the third one but the fan kept annoying me.
About 2 weeks ago I ordered a replacement fan and it arrived today. It's the fan type from the teardown video (my PS5 has the Nidec fan).
I have switched the fan on my PS5 and voila, fan noise gone (for now at least).

So for those with a loud fan, it's worth a shot. I ordered it from here:

Now all that's left is my coil whine noise but that probably won't be easy to solve...

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've' posted in this thread before that I have had three PS5's so far and all of them had a ratteling/loud fan. I kept the third one but the fan kept annoying me.
About 2 weeks ago I ordered a replacement fan and it arrived today. It's the fan type from the teardown video (my PS5 has the Nidec fan).
I have switched the fan on my PS5 and voila, fan noise gone (for now at least).

So for those with a loud fan, it's worth a shot. I ordered it from here:

Now all that's left is my coil whine noise but that probably won't be easy to solve...
Coil whine is normal with high performance electronics. It won't go away.

maurice28

Neo Member
Has anyone tried anything like changing the plug socket the PS5 is connected to/using a surge protector or not using one, depending on your current set up? Just wondering if changing anything like that might make a difference to coil whine?

JeloSWE

Has anyone tried anything like changing the plug socket the PS5 is connected to/using a surge protector or not using one, depending on your current set up? Just wondering if changing anything like that might make a difference to coil whine?
Didn't do squat for me. It's just a cheaply done PSU.

JeloSWE

Guys stop spreading your OCD issues with threads like these.

I never had any problems with loud noise my previous consoles used to make.

Now i keep checking my Series S if its making any sound by removing headphones.
I know you said this in jest but they really made a thing out of it saying that they've made efforts to make the machine quiet with greater cooling than ever. Then they go about sourcing 3 different fans and a cheap ass PSU causing many machines not living up to the promise of being quite. Oh and I didn't spend a bunch of money on my sound system for nothing, I'm not going to use headphones to cover the noise up, that just ridiculous. ;)

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It would be silly to say that there are no quiet PS5s out there, but likewise, are you implying that the coil whine issue isn't genuine for some people?

Not at all. He's implying that every PS5 has it because Sony didn't use dampening material. I'm saying that's clearly not the issue because mine and many others don't have it. It sucks for those that do, and i'm hoping future hardware revisions address it to where noone will.

skit_data

Not at all. He's implying that every PS5 has it because Sony didn't use dampening material. I'm saying that's clearly not the issue because mine and many others don't have it. It sucks for those that do, and i'm hoping future hardware revisions address it to where noone will.
I don’t think a revision is needed for this specific issue, I think its more of a ”bad batch”-problem. Considering the amount of consoles produced, it’s bound to happen. A worker in China responsible for applying dampening material had a couple of rough days = thousands of PS5s with coil whine.

The speed at which PS5 is produced to meet demand is pretty much unparalleled, a slight mistake in the production line run the risk of affecting a lot of units.

Jaxcellent

I hope when i get my PS5 somewhere in 2021 there will be no whining about coil whine.
Can we just say goodbye to the word coil whine in 2021, and while we are at it, can we just get rid of the word covid? No? Ok.

JeloSWE

I don’t think a revision is needed for this specific issue, I think its more of a ”bad batch”-problem. Considering the amount of consoles produced, it’s bound to happen. A worker in China responsible for applying dampening material had a couple of rough days = thousands of PS5s with coil whine.

The speed at which PS5 is produced to meet demand is pretty much unparalleled, a slight mistake in the production line run the risk of affecting a lot of units.
There is NO dampening material what so ever In the teardown videos of the PSU I've seen.

skit_data

Has sony fixed the coil whine on the latest consoles , or is it still a problem, it ruins a otherwise a great console
I’ve had no issues with mine since launch, and none of my 4 friends that got theirs later has the issue. It’s definitely an issue, but I suspect the affected units are fewer than first feared.

DonJorginho

Banned
My PS5 has coil whine, really annoyed me at first, AC Valhalla was a nightmare at times.

But now I don't care as I've gotten used to it, the console is still quieter than the PS4 generation with their shite fans, it's such a great console I can look past one minor issue. Plus with headphones or TV audio on you can't hear it.

Only if it's so loud you hear it from another room is it worth complaining about imo.

maurice28

Neo Member
I love PlayStation and the PS5 is great in general. It's just disappointing and a little frustrating that you have to wear headphones, or turn the volume up on your TV, or make other concessions so as not to be annoyed by a console you spent £450 on. For the most part you can live with it, but I was trying out the Resident Evil Village demo and the buzzing really kills the mood. I'm not always in a position to just turn up the TV to cover it and I personally find it more irritating than the PS4 fan noise.

I'm sure the majority are fine, but there's certainly a lot that aren't, judging by posts here and elsewhere. Especially frustrating as Microsoft seem to have got it right with the Xbox, I hardly see any complaints at all about coil whine on that. And I'm sure it's possible to exchange for a PS5 that isn't as badly affected but as per the opening post of this thread, that could take 3 or 4 attempts.

Last edited:

nbkicker

I think with the ssd sony used and them saying they making a loss on every unit sold, then i think sony cheaped out on the fan used and the psu, ive had three units , first one no noise from fan but coil whine u could hear over 10ft away when gaming with tv sound on, second unit quieter coil whine, but annoying fan on rest mode or menu before fan completely went, then third unit hardly noticable coil whine , but fan sounds like a rickety old fan when playing games, but not noticeable when using sony headphones, ill just be changing out the fan when replacements appear online

Kamina

Golden Boy
People who keep on downplaying an issue Sony has had for years are the most annoying.

But keep on warring, you muppets. Keep on getting triggered by people who have issues with their system.
Shhh, its okay, don’t go retard now.
I have the issue too and can understand fairly well that it is annoying. When i tried Genshin Impact the other day i thought a cat was being stragled.
However it is nothing on my old PS4Pro. We will see if sony is able to fix it with a revision.

Last edited:

nbkicker

Shhh, its okay, don’t go retard now.
I have the issue too and can understand fairly well that it is annoying. When i tried Genshin Impact the other day i thought a cat was being stragled.
However it is nothing on my old PS4Pro. We will see if sony is able to fix it with a revision.
Mines the other way round never had coil whine or fan noise with my ps4 or ps4 pro, even now i can load a game up on both ps4 pro and ps5 and the ps5 is way more noiser then my pro, unless u go put yr ear to the pro you wouldnt no its on, but can live with playing with headphones at min with ps5, just need some replacement fans out and ill be totally happy, as coil whine aint to bad compared to first ps5 i had

I'm stating that no PS5 uses dampening material in the PSU. It having coil whine or not is a total crap shoot. It shouldn't come down to luck whether or not you have the issue. I have had 2 PS5s and BOTH had coil whine. I wasn't as lucky as you but because you were lucky this isn't an issue? Odd take. Sony should ensure all systems have the same sound profile it is not an unreasonable requirement.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm stating that no PS5 uses dampening material in the PSU. It having coil whine or not is a total crap shoot. It shouldn't come down to luck whether or not you have the issue. I have had 2 PS5s and BOTH had coil whine. I wasn't as lucky as you but because you were lucky this isn't an issue? Odd take. Sony should ensure all systems have the same sound profile it is not an unreasonable requirement.

Uh, maybe you should get some reading comprehension skills. I never once in all my replies in this thread said it wasn't an issue.

Your own words here:

"If Sony had used sound dampening material in their PSU this wouldn't have been an issue."

You're saying sound dampening material in the PSU wouldve stopped this issue for everyone. So if they dont use sound dampening material, and myself and many others DONT have the issue, then your point is moot.

Last edited:
Uh, maybe you should get some reading comprehension skills. I never once in all my replies in this thread said it wasn't an issue.

Your own words here:

"If Sony had used sound dampening material in their PSU this wouldn't have been an issue."

You're saying sound dampening material in the PSU wouldve stopped this issue for everyone. So if they dont use sound dampening material, and myself and many others DONT have the issue, then your point is moot.
Nope your logic is flawed. If they used sound dampening material NO ONE would have had the issue instead of some people like yourself who got lucky and other people like myself and many others who were not. They cut corners and some people were negatively affected.

Guys stop spreading your OCD issues with threads like these.

I never had any problems with loud noise my previous consoles used to make.

Now i keep checking my Series S if its making any sound by removing headphones.
I would not call it ocd at all…some games it sounds like a tattoo gun is going…..it make using a headset pretty much a necessity

I have 2 ps5s and they both have the annoying buzzing on some games and a couple of my friends also have the same issue

it’s not ocd…it’s shitty manufacturing once again from Sony

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Nope your logic is flawed. If they used sound dampening material NO ONE would have had the issue instead of some people like yourself who got lucky and other people like myself and many others who were not. They cut corners and some people were negatively affected.
Seems like you just want to argue lol Did MS cut corners when your system shit the bed?

Did MS cut corners when your XSX bricked?
I've explained this to you before but perhaps you forgot. No one is trying to pass off a console not working at all as normal and something people are just 'whining' about. People ARE telling people here that coil whine is fine and something people are just making up or it isn't a big deal. Some of your friends on this very board even accused people of not even having the PS5 at all because clearly that console is perfect and only MS consoles have issues. I know it hurts your feelings that the PS5 is not perfect but you'll live. I hope that clears things up for you.

Seems like you just want to argue lol Did MS cut corners when your system shit the bed?
You Sony guys are really in sync. Guys reading from the same script.

Last edited:
There are other high performance electronics that don't have coil whine at all. It is not unavoidable. If Sony had used sound dampening material in their PSU this wouldn't have been an issue.
I don't hear anything from my PS5 and neither do most people so clearly the PS5 isn't something that would be considered as having an issue either apart from some faulty units which is unfortunate but normal to go along with trolls trying to make things sound worse than they are.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I've explained this to you before but perhaps you forgot. No one is trying to pass off a console not working at all as normal and something people are just 'whining' about. People ARE telling people here that coil whine is fine and something people are just making up or it isn't a big deal. Some of your friends on this very board even accused people of not even having the PS5 at all because clearly that console is perfect and only MS consoles have issues. I know it hurts your feelings that the PS5 is not perfect but you'll live. I hope that clears things up for you.

You Sony guys are really in sync. Guys reading from the same script.

Again.....ive not once in my many replies in this thread ever downplayed coil whine or accused anyone of not having it. You seem to be angry that me and others DONT have it, like were going against your anti Sony crusade and it eats you alive lmao

I don't hear anything from my PS5 and neither do most people so clearly the PS5 isn't something that would be considered as having an issue either apart from some faulty units which is unfortunate but normal to go along with trolls trying to make things sound worse than they are.
No one is making anything sound worse than the reality that this should have never been an issue. I'm glad you don't have the problem. Others, including my self do. Just because people don't like coil whine doesn't make them a troll.

Again.....ive not once in my many replies in this thread ever downplayed coil whine or accused anyone of not having it. You seem to be angry that me and others DONT have it, like were going against your anti Sony crusade and it eats you alive lmao
I'm glad you haven't downplayed it, others have. I'm happy for you that you don't have the issue but it is absolutely silly to think it's a anti Sony crusade to point out an issue this system should have never had. Listen to your terminology. Eats me alive? I paid $500 for a PS5. Silly me for not loving coil whine. I guess for some it's a feature not a bug.

Last edited:
Since I was reported about my 'cut corners' comment I decided to show exactly what corners were cut. The below images clearly show where the sound dampening material is placed in one system's PSU vs none in the other. It was a cost saving measure and the videos I posted below show that coil whine is common enough to be able to make a video about it as he tried to fix it himself. The OP of this thread had several PS5s that ALL had coil whine. I had 2 PS5s BOTH had coil whine. It is not FUD and it was not invented by Phil Spencer. It didn't come from a Xbox discord cabal. It is a real issue and some people are more affected than others. I never said the PS5 was a bad system or that it didn't have good games but clearly since Sony is trying to move as many units as possible they will save money where ever then can. This was one such area.

vUr7PH0.png

dcmk7

Banned
Since I was reported about my 'cut corners' comment I decided to show exactly what corners were cut. The below images clearly show where the sound dampening material is placed in one system's PSU vs none in the other. It was a cost saving measure and the videos I posted below show that coil whine is common enough to be able to make a video about it as he tried to fix it himself. The OP of this thread had several PS5s that ALL had coil whine. I had 2 PS5s BOTH had coil whine. It is not FUD and it was not invented by Phil Spencer. It didn't come from a Xbox discord cabal. It is a real issue and some people are more affected than others. I never said the PS5 was a bad system or that it didn't have good games but clearly since Sony is trying to move as many units as possible they will save money where ever then can. This was one such area.

vUr7PH0.png

You stated for a fact that all consoles are affected. That's pure FUD, how can you possibly know that?

Majority in this thread don't experience any coil whine, why would that be? Runs completely contrary to 'every console has it' doesn't it.

Your XSX bricked, now, should we be concerned? If someone wanted to spread FUD one can suggest that there is an underlying problem that would mean potentially every XSX can brick at a drop of a hat.. see how easy it is?

Speaks volumes about your character that you hid your broken XSX on this forum yet can't help complaining about a noisy PS5. A PS5 you can exchange but choose not to.. would rather complain about it. Wonder why that is..

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You stated for a fact that all consoles are affected. That's pure FUD, how can you possibly know that?

Majority in this thread don't experience any coil whine, why would that be? Runs completely contrary to 'every console has it' doesn't it.

Your XSX bricked, now, should we be concerned? If someone wanted to spread FUD one can suggest that there is an underlying problem that would mean potentially every XSX can brick at a drop of a hat.. see how easy it is?

Speaks volumes about your character that you hid your broken XSX on this forum yet can't help complaining about a noisy PS5. A PS5 you can exchange but choose not to.. would rather complain about it. Wonder why that is..

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping knows why, because he's neutral according to him and I trust his words.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

The thread is about coil whine. You keep bringing up a bricked XsX like it has ANYTHING to do with it. It doesn't. Get off your high horse dude. It seems from the breakdown in Tronic's video(a very trusted source) that ALL ARE affected by the lack of dampening material, not that ALL are affected by the actual coil whine itself. There's a difference. The fact that you are being so defensive about it speaks more about you than it does to DarkMage619 DarkMage619 .

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
The thread is about coil whine. You keep bringing up a bricked XsX like it has ANYTHING to do with it. It doesn't. Get off your high horse dude. It seems from the breakdown in Tronic's video(a very trusted source) that ALL ARE affected by the lack of dampening material, not that ALL are affected by the actual coil whine itself. There's a difference. The fact that you are being so defensive about it speaks more about you than it does to DarkMage619 DarkMage619 .
Based on a YouTube video, we can safely deduce that 'no PS5 uses dampening material in the PSU. ' right? Do you get how ignorant that is?

Ignoring the possibilty of a bad batch, early production models and pointed it to the worst case scenario.. and said it's definitely that.

Why do Sony allow people to return them, if they all can or.. is it will suffer from it eventually?

Interestingly when two threads were running.. XSX faults and PS5 faults, there were maybe a 2 or 3% difference. I can't recall.

So doesn't seem like the launch has been a hardware disaster, seeing how solid XSX launch has been. Except DarkMages.

Top Bottom