• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

emivita

I have permanent tinnitus, and i don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this thread.

laugh cry GIF

ParaSeoul

The 6nm PS5 can't come soon enough. Hopefully it'll be a "slim" re-design and come in black. The second we have confirmation of such I'll be jettisoning my big beefy Bertha PS5 in a New York minute on Offer Up, Craigslist, etc...
1nm smaller chip doesn't equal a slim model

My coil whine is annoying. It seems to vary depending on the content shown on screen. Bright scenes make it louder.

I’ve been playing my PS3 quite a bit lately, and it is silent compared to the PS5 coil whine.

i suggest the ocd op og .....keep the best their ears of pickyness can handle... then after a year...

go buy a bespoke,(beshpoke ,as a rich guy would say like james bond).. fanny(fan) , from a beshpoke fanny shop , find the right fanny size , and make sure the flaps are soundless!! whooshhh..

fitting guide on youtube.

or do immediately and lose yer warranty.

Last edited:
How is everyone doing with their coil whine? Mine seemed to have settled down for a while, but I've been playing Disco Elysium (the PS5 version) and it seems to have flared up again and I'm now noticing it again on games I hadn't before, even over the sound of the TV (albeit on quiet).

Anyone sent their PS5 back for replacement recently?

Bought a digital edition a month ago, it has coil whine. A bit less than my disc edition.
Bought Disco Elysium in a sale a couple of months ago and can't play it because of the loud coil whine (the coil whine is at its loudest in this game and Resident Evil 8).
It's fine in ps4 games but noticable in ps5 games (depents on the game you're playing).
Also, I play on my couch with a 5.1 surround system so I can hear the coil whine above my surround system in the more quite moments in games.

i must input again on this big problem thread.

the cause is explained on youtube , its a fan design issue , putting a korean one in one , a chinese one in another , and an american one in another , and finally a german engineered one, silent in a few special editions...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I genuinely cant wait for the day I can sell this PS5 and hopefully pick up a smaller slimmer completely different designed version with a 1.5TB SSD. It will be mine!

It's why i'm trying to hold out buying an SSD because id rather just invest that money into a new version.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Hmm. No. It isn’t the fan. The sound immediately changes depending on what is displayed. This is not fan related.
Then you definitely have coil whine. Fan noise changes after a while because even though the GPU stopped taxing itself, it's still hot and needs a few seconds/minutes to cool off. Coil whine is reduced immediately when your PS5 isn't stressing itself.

Thankfully I read that coil whine is reduced for many users as the weeks/months pass.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Then you definitely have coil whine. Fan noise changes after a while because even though the GPU stopped taxing itself, it's still hot and needs a few seconds/minutes to cool off. Coil whine is reduced immediately when your PS5 isn't stressing itself.

Thankfully I read that coil whine is reduced for many users as the weeks/months pass.

Not downplaying this at all for anyone who has it, but my PS5 from December is still as silent at all times now as it was when i got it. There's definitely a QC issue with the different fan models.

skit_data

I definitely had a very faint sound coming from my PS5 at launch but now its gone, I never thought it was coil whine though and just assumed it was the fan curve getting adjusted with updates.

Its now completely inaudible unless I put my ear next to the back of the console.

Top Bottom