• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Since I was reported about my 'cut corners' comment I decided to show exactly what corners were cut. The below images clearly show where the sound dampening material is placed in one system's PSU vs none in the other. It was a cost saving measure and the videos I posted below show that coil whine is common enough to be able to make a video about it as he tried to fix it himself. The OP of this thread had several PS5s that ALL had coil whine. I had 2 PS5s BOTH had coil whine. It is not FUD and it was not invented by Phil Spencer. It didn't come from a Xbox discord cabal. It is a real issue and some people are more affected than others. I never said the PS5 was a bad system or that it didn't have good games but clearly since Sony is trying to move as many units as possible they will save money where ever then can. This was one such area.

vUr7PH0.png

let it go GIF

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Based on a YouTube video, we can safely deduce that 'no PS5 uses dampening material in the PSU. ' right? Do you get how ignorant that is?

Ignoring the possibilty of a bad batch, early production models and pointed it to the worst case scenario.. and said it's definitely that.

Why do Sony allow people to return them, if they all can or.. is it will suffer from it eventually?

Interestingly when two threads were running.. XSX faults and PS5 faults, there were maybe a 2 or 3% difference. I can't recall.

So doesn't seem like the launch has been a hardware disaster, seeing how solid XSX launch has been. Except DarkMages.
It's not rocket science and I'm having trouble understanding how you don't understand it. Tronic has fixed more broken systems across pretty much every platform of the last 25 years than games you have played. You can just skim through his channel and see the 40 or 50 Playstation 5's that he's fixed in the last few months alone, the dude knows what he's talking about. Ignorant is the right word, just not sure you understand how it should be applied.

I never stated that ALL will suffer from coil whine eventually, just that they have the potential to. I'm not sure how much knowledge you have of electronic components, but capacitors, transformers, resistors all have different tolerances and don't all work exactly the same, it's entirely possible that your PS5 with non-dampening material will have components inside of it that don't suffer the same amount of degradation over time that other's consoles already suffer from.

I doubt that coil whine is the disaster that some will make it out to be, doesn't mean it's not a problem or could potentially be a problem for a decent number of people in the future. BAD news tends to screamed the loudest by a small group of people while almost everyone else is just busy doing normal shit not having problems.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
It's not rocket science and I'm having trouble understanding how you don't understand it. Tronic has fixed more broken systems across pretty much every platform of the last 25 years than games you have played. You can just skim through his channel and see the 40 or 50 Playstation 5's that he's fixed in the last few months alone, the dude knows what he's talking about. Ignorant is the right word, just not sure you understand how it should be applied.

I never stated that ALL will suffer from coil whine eventually, just that they have the potential to. I'm not sure how much knowledge you have of electronic components, but capacitors, transformers, resistors all have different tolerances and don't all work exactly the same, it's entirely possible that your PS5 with non-dampening material will have components inside of it that don't suffer the same amount of degradation over time that other's consoles already suffer from.

I doubt that coil whine is the disaster that some will make it out to be, doesn't mean it's not a problem or could potentially be a problem for a decent number of people in the future. BAD news tends to screamed the loudest by a small group of people while almost everyone else is just busy doing normal shit not having problems.

I never stated that ALL will suffer from coil whine eventually, just that they have the potential to.

Forgive me but I'm a little confused, you know that all of these consoles are affected because a YouTube has been fixing a lot of them?

By him receiving PS5s to fix then purely by definition he is only ever being exposed to the faulty ones?

In any case, how is that enough sample to say every one of the 7.8million consoles sold have had corners cut.. Because a YouTuber says so?

Why does Sony allow returns when they all have this ticking time bomb? They are just creating a never ending cycle for themselves right?

Early production always comes with defected products. It's not very surprising there is coil whine in some consoles. Or all together bricked consoles. It's unfortunately, very expected and normal.

But to state everything is affected by this is way over the top, and in pure FUD territory, it's something no one can possibly know or prove.

Last edited:
Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping knows why, because he's neutral according to him and I trust his words.

Indeed Bo!

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 unfortunately keeps letting his mask slip, so his large reserve of neutral non-biased energy became unstable and bricked his XSX

Thankfully this doesn't happen with the PS5 since Cerny embues every unit with a knack barrier (this is what the biased mortals call coil whine)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Forgive me but I'm a little confused, you know that all of these consoles are affected because a YouTube has been fixing a lot of them?

By him receiving PS5s to fix then purely by definition he is only ever being exposed to the faulty ones?

In any case, how is that enough sample to say every one of the 7.8million consoles sold have had corners cut.. Because a YouTuber says so?

Why does Sony allow returns when they all have this ticking time bomb? They are just creating a never ending cycle for themselves right?

Early productiin always comes with defected products. It's not very surprising there is coil whine in some consoles. Or all together bricked consoles. It's unfortunately, very expected and normal.

But to state everything is affected by this is way over the top, and in pure FUD territory, it's something no one can possibly know or prove.
Sorry, I was sick the day when they asked me to look at every single PS5 being manufactured...Damn kid getting me sick all the time. That aside, I just used reasonable deduction to make a statement based on the sample size of 50 or so broken PS5's that have been opened up on that channel. If that's not enough evidence for you than NO AMOUNT of evidence will ever be sufficient for you.

But you do you:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Indeed Bo!

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 unfortunately keeps letting his mask slip, so his large reserve of neutral non-biased energy became unstable and bricked his XSX

Thankfully this doesn't happen with the PS5 since Cerny embues every unit with a knack barrier (this is what the biased mortals call coil whine)

I think he plays with PS5 duct taped to his head to complain about it and make it real if he had to swear.

dcmk7

Banned
Sorry, I was sick the day when they asked me to look at every single PS5 being manufactured...Damn kid getting me sick all the time. That aside, I just used reasonable deduction to make a statement based on the sample size of 50 or so broken PS5's that have been opened up on that channel. If that's not enough evidence for you than NO AMOUNT of evidence will ever be sufficient for you.

But you do you:

giphy.gif

How about you start a petition asking Sony to recall the 7.8 million sold based on those 50 faulty units.

Last edited:
How about you start a petition asking Sony to recall the 7.8 million sold based on 50 faulty units.

He's just ignorant

Cerny can only produce his knack barrier for every seven million seven hundred ninety nine thousand nine hundred fifty consoles produced

He then has to rest for the next 50 consoles, so unfortunatley those do not get Cerny's blessing

Iced Arcade

Someone get the smoke, calm the hive.

On topic: brothers PS5 is noticable but far far from a PS4 levels. Kinda tunes out after a bit so not a big deal.

Is this still being debated as to whether it exists or not?

My Sample Size of PS5 consoles is 1, since that's all I have. Just because your unit doesn't have or you possibly just haven't/can't notice it doesn't mean other people are lying.

Mine has an annoying coil whine when games are playing. to be specific a high pitch "pulsing" noise

At the time of the launch this was an example that matched mine 1 min 5secs in.

As he states later, it's of a frequency that just punches through ambient noise, unless you have the volume up really loud, you're noticing it. Even then if you're in a dialogue only scene you're going to hear it regardless. (or maybe you're lucky and your hearing doesn't hear those frequencies at all)

That video also has one without any issues, so it's evident that since mine's is similar to the faulty one in it there has to be a manufacturing reason for the good and bad units.

I don't see how defending this Good unit lottery advantages anyone. It just makes it unlikely that they'll do anything about it.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned

My Sample Size of PS5 consoles is 1, since that's all I have. Just because your unit doesn't have or you possibly just haven't/can't notice it doesn't mean other people are lying.

Mine has an annoying coil whine when games are playing. to be specific a high pitch "pulsing" noise

As he states later, it's of a frequency that just punches through ambient noise, unless you have the volume up really loud, you're noticing it. Even then if you're in a dialogue only scene you're going to hear it regardless. (or maybe you're lucky and your hearing doesn't hear those frequencies at all)

That video also has one without any issues, so it's evident that since mine's is similar to the faulty one in it there has to be a manufacturing reason for the good and bad units.

I don't see how defending this Good unit lottery advantages anyone. It just makes it unlikely that they'll do anything about it.

That sucks.. I'm obviously more fortunate.

Have you contacted Sony to get a replacement sent out? Hopefully they can help.. based on this thread should be able to get a silent one from them.

That sucks.. I'm obviously more fortunate.

Have you contacted Sony to get a replacement sent out? Hopefully they can help.. based on this thread should be able to get a silent one from them.

I lurked on this thread before I joined, the multiple replacements from the OP etc meant I didn't see the point at the time.

I'll no doubt get around to it before the warranty is up, and stock situations are better.

nbkicker

My first ps5 had coil whine i could here over 10ft away and over normal volume of tv, second one had it but u had to get close, and the third replacment from sony has got it but not to bad as rickety fan noise it makes is louder then the coil whine, yet ive been to a mates house and his ps5 no coil whine and no fan noise so there is systems that are silent and there are systems that are very loud, ive now resorted to playing multiplat games on the xbox series x as its silent like my ps4 pro, and for ps5 exclusive im just using the ps5 headphones

Last edited:
mine def has it. Not as loud as some ive heard on youtube but its noticeable. I couldn't even have it in rest mode with a disc in the drive...because i could hear it when i was trying to sleep

nbkicker

I lurked on this thread before I joined, the multiple replacements from the OP etc meant I didn't see the point at the time.

I'll no doubt get around to it before the warranty is up, and stock situations are better.
I wouldnt be in a rush with sony at the min cause ive gone from a new ps5 with high pitch loud whine playing games but no fan noise, to one with noisey fan on idle and just noticable fan noise, to then one i got now not really loud coil whine but cant tell as fan makes a bit of noise when game starts and it ramps up , and each time been without a console for three to four weeks so just living with what i got now, ill either change fan of replacements come out or wait till loads of stock in and hopefully a revision the buy a new one and give this one away to one of my mates or nephew

Grechy34

People using the word faulty and coil whine is a bit of a stretch. Coil whine does not mean your Playstation is faulty, it's noisier but not faulty. People who have it and don't care, don't stress. Your Playstation is absolutely fine, enjoy the console.

You predicted it. And guess who's whining? The one who got his XSX bricked.

Oh jeez don't tell me it was a bad reaction to Ratchet. I do know that some people have issues with coil whine but to keep bumping up this thread as a reaction to positive PS5 news is a bit much in my opinion. It's just getting annoying and is pretty pathetic at this point.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Oh jeez don't tell me it was a bad reaction to Ratchet. I do know that some people have issues with coil whine but to keep bumping up this thread as a reaction to positive PS5 news is a bit much in my opinion. It's just getting annoying and is pretty pathetic at this point.

giphy.gif

How badly are you suffering from Victim Complex? No possible way that people are being genuine in even the slightest capacity huh?

giphy.gif

How badly are you suffering from Victim Complex? No possible way that people are being genuine in even the slightest capacity huh?

Well I did say that I know that some have coil whine.

Did you miss that part?

Or should I explain the issue to you?

Edit: I just looked at the dates and maybe it's just a coincidence. Some people so have the issues while others are exploiting it for console warring purposes. Basically how this thread was since it's inception.

Last edited:
The 6nm PS5 can't come soon enough. Hopefully it'll be a "slim" re-design and come in black. The second we have confirmation of such I'll be jettisoning my big beefy Bertha PS5 in a New York minute on Offer Up, Craigslist, etc...

//DEVIL//

That video also has one without any issues, so it's evident that since mine's is similar to the faulty one, there has to be a manufacturing reason for the good and bad units.

Actually., He has issues with his PS5 that claim it's perfect. he is one of the dudes that just create BS.

the PS5 he claims on the video with no coil issues is a PS5 in the frigging menu. not even in a game even.

Like seriously, when people will understand that the PSU on PS5 is not covered with any material that prevents the coil noise? they all have it. period. some might be just a tad higher than others but not to the point you will tell the difference unless you have them side by side in the same location gameplay.

it really also depends on:

- how deaf are you? ( no offense. but not all people hear the same thing, my friend told he cant hear shit. when i went to his house and tried it, was louder than mine. wanted to hit his head with the ps5 lol )
- what game are you playing?
- where is your head when you are playing the game. is it close to the PS5 or actually on the sofa?

a 2000$ gpu will have a coil sound when it run games. it's not the end of the world.

however, what I did notice if you have a Delta fan, since it's quieter than Nidec or the new model fan, people might notice the coil sound a bit more than the others since the fan will cover the coil noise in the other models.

Last edited:

maurice28

Neo Member
I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but yesterday I swapped my PS5 from a surge protected extension lead to a non-surge protected one, and the coil whine seems to have drastically reduced. It could be an illusion or coincidence, but even playing with the TV muted I'm struggling to hear it at the moment.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but yesterday I swapped my PS5 from a surge protected extension lead to a non-surge protected one, and the coil whine seems to have drastically reduced. It could be an illusion or coincidence, but even playing with the TV muted I'm struggling to hear it at the moment.

It could be due to the varied vendors who provided the power supply, like PS5 having 3 different fans and ~2 different DRAM's (one from Samsung).

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Mine is plugged in to a surge protector and has no coil whine. Before the update I heard it maybe twice now its silent and I play a few feet away from the ps5.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Mine had that, it's literally a case of adjusting the tightness of the screws around the fan casing (I left mine plugged in whilst having the PS5 casing off to help listen whilst making the adjustment).

It would help if you didn't have to but it doesn't take 5 minutes to sort.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m only bumping this thread because I contributed to it originally. Just to say;

I’ve had my PS5 digital since Friday and have played 20+ hours on God of War and it’s whisper quiet. I’m absolutely buzzing that Sony sorted out the sound profile after the PS4/Pro.

I have it on my desk about 1 foot away from my head, with my sound on pretty low. No coil whine at all, not heard the fan ramp up once.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I’m only bumping this thread because I contributed to it originally. Just to say;

I’ve had my PS5 digital since Friday and have played 20+ hours on God of War and it’s whisper quiet. I’m absolutely buzzing that Sony sorted out the sound profile after the PS4/Pro.

I have it on my desk about 1 foot away from my head, with my sound on pretty low. No coil whine at all, not heard the fan ramp up once.
Do you know when it was manufactured? You got this like last week right?

3liteDragon

Yeah got it last Friday I’m in the office right now but can check it’s manufacture date when I get home - guessing it’s on the box?
Pretty sure there’s a white tag on the left or right side of the console itself I think.

Edit: Sorry not a white tag, it’s written on either side of the console.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Pretty sure there’s a white tag on the left or right side of the console itself I think.

Edit: Sorry not a white tag, it’s written on either side of the console.

Not saying they maybe haven't made internal adjustments, but ive had mine since Dec of last year and mine is also dead silent at all times too. I think a big part of why some people have the coil whine is due to the variation in fans that Sony uses in it's assembling processes.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I've heard it being isolated to those that got the Nidec fan. Lots of info out there about it anyway.

I haven't opened mine but then again it's dead silent.

skit_data

I’m pretty convinced they adjusted the fan profile slightly since launch.

Mine was quiet but audible at launch but now it’s practically inaudible. Add the fact that it was winter at launch and it’s in the middle of the summer now.

keraj37

I have my PS5 Digital, like a handful of weeks and I have no clue what this coil whine is, and I hear nothing coming from the console.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I never hear my ps5 from my gaming position. It’s so much better than the pro and PS4.

yes there is some coil whine when I’m right next to it but I’d need to concentrate and want to hear it.

jbortz78

I never hear my ps5 from my gaming position. It’s so much better than the pro and PS4.

yes there is some coil whine when I’m right next to it but I’d need to concentrate and want to hear it.
Sounds exactly like mine. Yes I hear it if I’m close to it but not from where I’m sitting. Almost forget how my PS4 pro sounded, but then I go to my sons who play Fortnite and the sound of jet engines hit me….🤣

maurice28

Neo Member
How is everyone doing with their coil whine? Mine seemed to have settled down for a while, but I've been playing Disco Elysium (the PS5 version) and it seems to have flared up again and I'm now noticing it again on games I hadn't before, even over the sound of the TV (albeit on quiet).

Anyone sent their PS5 back for replacement recently?

How is everyone doing with their coil whine? Mine seemed to have settled down for a while, but I've been playing Disco Elysium (the PS5 version) and it seems to have flared up again and I'm now noticing it again on games I hadn't before, even over the sound of the TV (albeit on quiet).

This is just an OCD issue. The more you think about it, worse it gets.

Soon it will start coming in your nightmares if you don't stop.

GHG

Gold Member
oh no, not this topic again

Coil whine first, broken controllers next. Blimey.

Horror Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

No. But sorry to be blunt, considering you had this "issue" in May (and your sole purpose on these forums seems to be to bump this thread), why haven't you? The longer you leave it the less time you have left on your warranty. Chop chop.

maurice28

Neo Member
No. But sorry to be blunt, considering you had this "issue" in May (and your sole purpose on these forums seems to be to bump this thread), why haven't you? The longer you leave it the less time you have left on your warranty. Chop chop.

Ha, yeah, fair enough. Just wondered if anyone had received a replacement recently and what the current state of play seemed to be. I will put my 'OCD' to one side and forget it - less effort that way!

Top Bottom