• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Breath of the Wild Has Changed My Opinion On This Game

This may only apply to me because I didn't see or do everything in this massive game on my first playthrough (cause my 7 month old wouldn't get fed otherwise!).

Listen, I liked BOTW on my first playthrough and any game I put 60 or more hours into is a game that I enjoyed playing. However I was disappointed by the main quest only having four lite dungeons that weren't quite as good as past dungeons. For the world being so big, and for there being no sense of meaningful progression.

However, it is only on my second playthrough that the non linearity has paid off in spades. I have put 15 hours into my newest playthrough, and besides the plateau, I have been playing and exploring completely new content. I went to the south eastern part of the map that I forgot was even there and gone through lush forests and jungles and found a giant dragon shrine ruins type thing and I even heard there was a town I haven't seen nearby. I have really felt I was on a unique adventure and the giant size of the world helped give that feeling of going on a personal journey through a huge world. I wish there were more unique content, but there actually is a lot of amazing exploration content because I hate open worlds, but I don't get bored exploring BOTW.

I have come to believe that there is no "main quest line" like other open worlds because there is only one quest. Defeat Gannon. Everything else you do whether it's the divine beasts, or mazes or shrines is completely prep work. This really annoyed me at first because I like mandatory content that is excellently designed, but replaying the game has opened me up to how genius it is. Yes, the main content never hits the highs of past Zelda games. Dungeons and shrines aren't as good as past games, but in sacrificing that they have allowed for radically different adventures each time you replay the game. I couldn't see that in my first playthrough but I am seeing it now.

Lord knows I miss my Zelda tropes and I am a dungeon guy, but this exploration game is blowing my mind in how it captures "going on a new adventure".

It has gone from the middle of the pack up to my top Zelda tier with Twilight Princess, OOT, LTTP, MM and ALBW. It's just so different but I think it's really clicking for me on my second playthrough. It really lives up to its it name of exploring the Wild. That's why I don't even mind a lack of indoor dungeons cause this game is truly about the Wild. Excited to dive back and explore the southernmost beach. Thanks for letting me rant.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If the next Mainline Zelda can combine the exploration/openness of BOTW and the amazing dungeons ala OoT, and then improve some minor things, it will be one of the GOAT games.

watdaeff4

I just completed BoTW last week and loved it for all the things you are liking it for now.

No game is perfect and you mention a couple of things I also felt could be better, but damn if this game isn't a masterpiece and so much better than the sum of its parts.

13ruce

Banned
If the next Mainline Zelda can combine the exploration/openness of BOTW and the amazing dungeons ala OoT, and then improve some minor things, it will be one of the GOAT games.

And don't forget better story telling like the older games:p
Then yes we indeed have the perfect game.

On topic for OP i plan on doing a second playthrough on hard when dlc pack 1 is out soon can't wait! And even a third playthrough on hard when the story dlc pack 2 is out around the holiday season:p

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
I think one thing that really helped me get into the right mindset before playing BOTW was remembering Miyamoto's original intention and idea of the first Zelda. It's basically him going through the woods as a kid exploring and finding things on his own. Even 100+ hours in, I'm still finding out new stuff and the sense of wonder from discovering something new hasn't faded away.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the stories and linear styles of previous Zelda's too - but there's something about this Skyrim/Minecraft open world design that is fun to play - but keeps just enough Zelda material to make you feel comfortable. I don't know, it's like going to a huge party with people you don't know with one friend. Even though it might be intimidating because you don't know anything - at least having a friend there (IE Link, Zelda, the weapons, the tools, etc.) makes it okay.

takriel

It misses a strong story, traditional dungeons, enemy variety, music. Other than that, it does everything better than the others.

I've played nothing else for 3 months and I don't really fancy playing anything else, even though I've completed almost everything there is to do. I just love playing around in the world.

RedZaraki

Banned
This seems like.....not the type of game to re-play.

I mean. There's enough to discover in the first play through that you likely missed stuff.

cireza

I am currently on my second playthrough, and enjoying the game a lot more since I decided to change one major thing in my way of playing :

I am not using the Paraglider to explore. And almost no climbing either. Only the horse.

Following the various roads, and also starting by the east/south-east (that's where the game intends you to go to begin with), has made the game A LOT more fun.

In fact, during my first playthrough, I was so interested in the "liberty" of the game, that I eventually went at many places too early and got my ass kicked, and also skipped parts that where designed to be explored from a starting point. Things like roads that lead somewhere, and have obstacles and enemies on it etc...

My conclusion is that by always climbing + gliding, you might end up making the game a lot less fun because you are going to skip entire parts that were designed to be explored like "levels", or even go to places that should be visited later.

Of course, you can always do the game in whatever order you want, but it can be really frustrating.

The game is really really good. Was fortunate enough to have some free time and I poured like 150 hours during March.
It is a game about exploration, it's designed very much around that and you get rewarded for it. You're free to experiment however you want and if you think you can do something you most likely can
...except pet dogs ;_;
I know it doesn't have the amazing dungeons of Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, and Skyward Sword, but it's a more complete package (The other games being more linear with a limited overworld, BOTW is a better mix).
It's also not like it's too lacking in the dungeon department, the divine beasts are all fun enough and there are some shrines which have some of the best puzzles in the series and
Hyrule Castle
is probably one of my favorite dungeons in the franchise. Just wish there were more, hopefully the DLC delivers.
There are definite improvements to be made but it's an exciting future for the franchise
I've probably exhausted the worthwhile content after 180 hours (all shrines, most side quests, all pictures, etc).
Looking forward to replaying it with the hard mode in a few months and changing my approach

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i never want to play windwaker and twilight and skyward again. oh and those sheit ds games.

the rest on the zelda games are timeless minus the spinoffs and cdi ofc oh and the nes

i never want to play windwaker and twilight and skyward again. oh and those sheit ds games.

the rest on the zelda games are timeless minus the spinoffs and cdi ofc oh and the nes
I agree with TP. Probably doesn't do anything better than OoT3D and the epic scale doesn't match up to BOTW.
I still think SS has its place since it's basically all dungeon and they're very good.
Just needs some adjustments
I do agree with the DS games, though

Socreges

Banned
I only have two complaints and they're both because of series expectations

1. I was really pining for dungeons. The divine beasts and shrines aren't varied enough
2. Why no iron knuckles/darknuts 😒

Otherwise a pretty brilliant game. Still on my first playthrough, though I'm nearly done.

sanstesy

*clicks*

"Is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the best-designed game ever?"

*exits*

I used that exact tagline in a satire post not too long ago, and here it actually exists. holy shit rofl

Lots of people consider Breath of the Wild one of the best games ever. What's so surprising about that statement as a result?

It has gone from the middle of the pack up to my top Zelda tier with Twilight Princess, OOT, LTTP, MM and ALBW. It's just so different but I think it's really clicking for me on my second playthrough. It really lives up to its it name of exploring the Wild. That's why I don't even mind a lack of indoor dungeons cause this game is truly about the Wild. Excited to dive back and explore the southernmost beach. Thanks for letting me rant.

Have fun to explore the world even more, i played it 200 hours and still find new things.

And it's easy to miss much of it. Every player experiences it differently, i heard of people only spending 5 minutes in the castle, what a waste. This world is worth to visit again.

entremet

I'm playing the Wii U and Switch versions concurrently, but differently. It's different ways to approach the game is pretty nuts.

atr0cious

I'm interested in a Skyward Sword remaster just to see if the dungeons are good for a replay after BotW. Frankly, I can't think of a single puzzle, pre BotW, that felt as good to complete as a single shrine, and I played the series to get ready for it. The ingenuity in the game design is tops, and the game always grabs me for at least a couple hours anytime I turn it on. Can't wait to grab a switch and the dlc.

I'm roughly 25 hours in on my first playthrough and I'm so damn hooked. I'm following the main missions, but I'm constantly being distracted. I mean just now I spent about 6 hours talking to everyone while exploring Hateno Village.

The game is just magical with a glorious sense of wonder and discovery. It only took 19 years, but Ocarina of Time has finally been dethroned!

BigEmil

And don't forget better story telling like the older games:p
Then yes we indeed have the perfect game.

On topic for OP i plan on doing a second playthrough on hard when dlc pack 1 is out soon can't wait! And even a third playthrough on hard when the story dlc pack 2 is out around the holiday season:p
Better story telling isn't really needed as Zelda games is hardly about story. The stories itself is pretty meh nothing special, it's more about the gameplay

bionic77

Never has a game before captured the sense of adventure like BOTW did.

At least for me.

It is really a sin to play this game with a strategy guide. You have to learn, die and figure it out on your own. The reward is more than worth it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My biggest issue with BotW was how stretched out and empty some of the world was.

I feel like half of my playtime was spent just walking from place to place with not a whole lot in between. I wish the world was a half of the size and everything was a bit closer together.

bennibop

I just could not get on with BotW, it had 4 real dungeons in the whole game that posed no real challenge and although it had a large map I found a drag exploring after a few hours, repeated climbing is not fun. Breakable weapons and lack of variety in the mini temples which all looked the same also bothered me.
I can see the game ending up like Skyward Sword and gamers realising it was not that great a game.

sanstesy

I am currently on my second playthrough, and enjoying the game a lot more since I decided to change one major thing in my way of playing :

I am not using the Paraglider to explore. And almost no climbing either. Only the horse.

Following the various roads, and also starting by the east/south-east (that's where the game intends you to go to begin with), has made the game A LOT more fun.

In fact, during my first playthrough, I was so interested in the "liberty" of the game, that I eventually went at many places too early and got my ass kicked, and also skipped parts that where designed to be explored from a starting point. Things like roads that lead somewhere, and have obstacles and enemies on it etc...

My conclusion is that by always climbing + gliding, you might end up making the game a lot less fun because you are going to skip entire parts that were designed to be explored like "levels", or even go to places that should be visited later.

Of course, you can always do the game in whatever order you want, but it can be really frustrating.

I have played the game completely off-roads the first playthrough and I can tell you it's basically the best open-world experience I've ever had for that very reason. That's one of the reason that makes this game so special. When I started my second playthrough and went the normal guided route towards Zora's Domain I didn't have nearly as much fun as I did when I went completely off rails climbing, gliding and sneaking through the whole land approaching sections of the map in all the most unconventional ways possible.

13ruce

Banned
Better story telling isn't really needed as Zelda games is hardly about story. The stories itself is pretty meh nothing special, it's more about the gameplay

That would be a huge shame because one of the reason i play Zelda games is the charming stories.....

MM, OoT, SS, ALBW, Minish Cap, TP and Wind Waker would be crap if they where gameplay only imo.

I am personally so sick and tired of the dungeons in the 3d Zelda games that BOTW was a breath of fresh air for me. BOTW was my last ditch effort to enjoy a 3d Zelda game, as I haven't ever TRUELY enjoyed one. I've beaten every 2d Zelda that exists, but only ever beaten OoT out of the 3d games. I get bored of the same-old same-old Zelda 3d tropes and quit half-way through. BOTW has been amazing, to say the least. It is clearly my favorite 3d Zelda ever, and up there with It to and Link's Awakening for me as the best of the entire series.

KDC720

Its such a lovely game, although I haven't finished it yet, I only have one beast left and then its off to tackle the castle.

I think my biggest complaint is that the game might be a bit too big for its own good. It's probably why I've been taking my sweet time with it right now, and why I probably won't replay it anytime soon.

I just could not get on with BotW, it had 4 real dungeons in the whole game that posed no real challenge and although it had a large map I found a drag exploring after a few hours, repeated climbing is not fun. Breakable weapons and lack of variety in the mini temples which all looked the same also bothered me.
I can see the game ending up like Skyward Sword and gamers realising it was not that great a game.
It won't. Will be praised for years and years.

*clicks*

"Is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the best-designed game ever?"

*exits*

I used that exact tagline in a satire post not too long ago, and here it actually exists. holy shit rofl

I personally have invested over 100 hours into this game and don't find that title to be absurd at all, game is a masterpiece in my mind. The world is truly remarkable to explore and the only game I find nearly as perfect was the original Xenoblade. Both games guide you through their worlds differently but both do it so perfectly.

Ric Flair

Banned
It's awesome when you think about what needs the most improvement in the next game is probably the easiest thing to fix for them. They've made story driven Zelda games for decades now, just apply that focus to the next game and add a few more dungeons and we're good to go. I think a big thing that would have really helped BOTW would have even been to change up the aesthetics of the shrines a bit here and there. They all look relatively the same, would have been cool to have a fire shrine with lava flowing throughout the dungeon or a rock shrine littered with giant boulders.

Once again gotta throw my opinion in here, I loved the dungeons, felt like they made me think more than any other Zelda dungeon before. The item agnostic design meant you couldn't just go "how do I use the item I got here to get through it."

sanstesy

because it's absurd

and the answer is obviously "no"

Nothing absurd about it and of course the answer is not a clear-cut "no".

Same statements have been made about Ocarina of Time when it came out and these statements have been made for a lot of games that are considered some of the best of all time.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The poor combat and weapon durability, combined with he lack of story, music and dungeons bothered me more than I expected tbh.

I still liked it, but it's my least favourite 3D Zelda.

mindsale

How can a game that's not even best-in-franchise be among the best ever?

It's a tremendous game though. Just put down the superlatives.

kunonabi

I focused on the nonlinearity, exploring, and getting sidetracked first in my playthrough and it was wonderous for the first hundred hours. However, once all the promise and possibilities vanished and it became the same series of cut-and-paste tasks and boring, repetitive rewards it just turned into a chore and the terrible core story stuff just soured me even more.

I wonder if doing things in the opposite order would have left me with a more positive impression of the whole affair. It would certainly be a higher note than that awful final dungeon and boss at the very least.

Regardless i'm never touching the game again unless the second dlc actually has some effort put into it unlike the first pack.

MTC100

Banned
I played the whole game with the pro hud and loved it. I completed my Town, House, the Divine Beasts, Ancient Armor Set fully upgraded and beat Ganon, cleared about 70-80 Shrines and found roughly 100 korok seeds. I missed a lot in my first 100 hour playthrough but when I've beaten Ganon, I just stopped.

I didn't want to play anymore, well yes I still want to play, every single day but I want a harder challenge as I really got a good idea as of how to play the game with only about 10 hours in and it was too easy if you ask me. Sure you die at first but once you catch a few fairies and clear the elephant you were almost impossible to kill.

Now I am waiting patiently for hard mode to finally arrive(along with this neat Map-Tracking feature) to finally explore the whole world and clear all the shrines. I guess this will take another 150+ hours of my free time away but it will be worth it. Breath of the Wild is the best game I've ever played and instead of downgrading everything I've played before from a 10/10 to a 9/10 I decided to give BotW the score it deserves in my mental list of games, a well deserved 11/10, better than anything I've ever played and by a good margin.

How can a game that's not even best-in-franchise be among the best ever?

It's a tremendous game though. Just put down the superlatives.
That's just your opinion and it's an invalid one for me. It's different than other Zeldas and also better in my opinion :)

LotusHD

Banned

I disagree, the previous games obviously weren't exactly masterpieces in regards to the story, but they were quite lovely in their own way. It's nice making that journey from a young, inexperienced boy to a talented swordsman that is finally ready to take down Ganon. Both SS and TP had several things that engaged me along the way.

BoTW, not so much, though I don't blame it too strongly due to how they attempted to make sure everyone would be on the same track and what not with its non-linear format. But at the same time it was still quite disappointing; characters overall weren't very memorable either. Basically, whenever I stopped gawking and exploring the incredible open story and went back to the "main story", I'd get disappointed. The next Zelda doesn't have to be like Nier or Persona, but I still have some expectations here...

because it's absurd

and the answer is obviously "no"

I hear that open world is pretty damn cool tho

This is going to sound like a preposterous question, but where do you see how many hours you've put in?

This game is insanely long. Been playing it for ages it seems, and I love it. These kinda open world games, gathering resources and making elixirs and managing your inventory, I rarely like such games, but I love this one.

It's just got these great simple take on fantasy and isn't too up its own ass, or takes itself too seriously.

Yeah I left the southeast unexplored too because I touched there too early when I was still averse to rain and though lizalfos were too fast and strong.

But I wonder what a 2nd playthrough will be like if someone did beat all shrines. I guess they reverse the path they took from the last playthrough or even do a 3 heart challenge for all divine beasts with abilities turned off afterwards (so glad you can do this).

Hellshy.

It won't. Will be praised for years and years.

It will still get praise but I don't think he is completely wrong. I really liked the game at first but find it hard to finish. It has moments where it still gets its hooks in me but then it fades. I have grown to really dislike the weapon durability and combat. I usually play for 1 to 2hrs at a time locating altars then lose interest. I don't know why exactly b/c the game has elements I really like.

I still think it is a good game just not the masterpiece some think it is.

The Hermit

My second playthrough is vastly different and I am learning a lot of new stuff that I missed, like knowing that I can change hearts for stamina and vice-versa.

A kid showed me in Hateno Village, no script or anything he just said "I found some cool stuff, follow me" and I did.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The poor combat and weapon durability, combined with he lack of story, music and dungeons bothered me more than I expected tbh.

I still liked it, but it's my least favourite 3D Zelda.

But you can climb the tree OR burn it down.

Smeags

*Reads title* Welp, it's this week's "BotW isn't that great" thread.
Now I know how you feel Witcher 3 fans. :p

Oh. Oh! Yeah, BotW has one of the greatest sense of wanderlust I've ever experienced in gaming. There is a certain whimsical joy in the sheer notion of just "doing" in this game that's hard to put into words.*

But yes, that sense of adventure... it's something else. Cheers OP, glad you're getting lost in the wonder. :)

*I'll let Mark Brown do it for me!
https://youtu.be/vmIgjAM0uh0

I have put around 130 odd hours into the game and it is my least favourite Zelda game in the series. I've put more hours into this than any other Zelda game but it doesn't mean it's better.

I guess it's just the completionist in me that is continuing to play and check off as much as I can because I doubt I'll replay this again unless DLC 2 is worthwhile.

Most Zelda games I can understand where the hours went to or what took a good portion of my times, Locations, Dungeons Bosses etc.

In this game it's just mostly open ended spaces. I think what this game missed was those hand crafted linear environments. More thought, detail and attention goes into those environments than a giant open world that feels like it was created using a terrain simulator. Like the dungeons and bosses ultimately don't matter in this game so what else does it really have to show for it? Another boring shrine? Mundane Korok collecting? Fetch quests?

The closest we got to that feeling was
Lost Woods
which was one of my favourite parts of the game. Everything else was just a let down.

Lilo_D

Also the interesting part of this game against previous is like

In previous game you can name MC whatever you want but all players' experience are basically the same
In this game you cannot rename Link but you can experience your OWN Story

So when people said this is boring, i'm like well....maybe?

Top Bottom