• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Report] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Preorders 50% behind Ghosts

Vestax

Banned
The people have spoken.

Treyarch are COD.

Without giving AW a chance? The games looks really good. Ghosts didn't really look as promising before its launch, and it ended up lacking in the end. AW appears to be a different breed, going back to more a Black Ops 2 style. I'm all for that...

Only complaint is that Activision always charges an arm and a leg for the season pass, unlike TF.

danmaku

That is probably the biggest problem the industry faces, in that COD failing will actually severely hurt it. The fact the industry itself relies on COD making those ridiculous sales is super scary.

The industry? What do other publishers gain from CoD selling a shitton of copies? If people are getting bored of CoD, it's an opportunity. They have free time and they'll search for something else (not necessarily games, though) to fill it.

raphier

Banned
The industry? What do other publishers gain from CoD selling a shitton of copies? If people are getting bored of CoD, it's an opportunity. They have free time and they'll search for something else (not necessarily games, though) to fill it.
Because the industry thinks that if COD sells then they have chance for same ceiling. When Call of Duty stops selling, the publishers will be like, "Nobody plays games anymore."

I'd bet a PS4/XBOX One/PC Black Ops III by Treyarch would do wonders for sales. That has to be what those guys are doing right? Plus the Black Ops sub series is untarnished.

Traffcore

Would happen sooner or later!

It's a shame this happens now when the upcoming COD looks different and innovative in many ways!

SMZC

Treyarch being the uncontested "leader" of the brand now?

eww breh

This. It's a sad day for the franchise if Treyarch is its top developer now.

Regarding the sales issue, though, I'm pretty sure this decline in sales (if true) will affect Treyarch as well. Reminds me a lot of the situation with Metal Gear. MGS2 was (is) the most disliked game of the series by the masses, but ironically, it still remains the most successful one, sales-wise. People tend to prefer MGS3, but it was the distaste that MGS2 left in a lot of people's mouths (after selling shitloads of copies, mind you) what made them drift away from the franchise. I reckon something similar is going on with Ghosts now, where the dislike towards that game will affect not so much Ghosts itself, but the games that are coming after it, regardless of the opinion that the people that do buy these new games have about them.

Reminds me a lot of the situation with Metal Gear. MGS2 was (is) the most disliked game of the series by the masses, but ironically, it still remains the most successful one, sales-wise. People tend to prefer MGS3, but it was the distaste that MGS2 left in a lot of people's mouths (after selling shitloads of copies, mind you) what made them drift away from the franchise.

I've always thought that the success of MGS1 is what helped propel MGS2 game sales to end up being the top selling game in the franchise. MGS1 on the PS1 was huge and usually won best game on PSX from many. Me like many were very disappointed in MGS2 overall which led me to not even play the game again for over 10 years. The rest of what you say seem to be spot on on how i think of MGS game sales.

El-Suave

If the next game is reviewed well, this is nothing that can't be repaired although 50% less preorders is quite a decline. Assassin's Creed recovered after the record setting but mediocre reviewed AC3. Black Flag didn't set any new preoder records if I'm not mistaken, but the game stopped that franchise from getting more hate at least.
Activision is also lucky that the Halo remake is pretty much the only real competition in the competitive multiplayer space when COD releases, unless I'm forgetting a contender.

Edit: There's Destiny of course, but I guess in November most people will already be looking for something new.

Im the abberation that only plays COD games now for the SP. The last CoD MP i played was united offensive which was amazing, but CoD MP does nothing for me now. It pretty much incorporates everything i hate in MP games (killstreaks, unbalanced playing field etc).
But the SP is always incredibly dumb popcorn fodder. Ghosts SP was pretty poor, all i can remember about it was the space level, and the ending being shit. Oh and the corny-ness of it overall.
At least Treyarch made some decent SP offerings, Blops and Blops 2 were the best SP campaigns since MW. Everything else has been either poor (MW3), average (MW2), or outright crap (Ghosts).

SMZC

I've always thought that the success of MGS1 is what helped propel MGS2 game sales to end up being the top selling game in the franchise. MGS1 on the PS1 was huge and usually won best game on PSX from many. Me like many were very disappointed in MGS2 overall which led me to not even play the game again for over 10 years. The rest of what you say seem to be spot on on how i think of MGS game sales.

I agree with the notion that MGS1 was definitely key in MGS2's success. It also helped a lot that, at the time, MGS2 was one of the most impressive games of the PS2, people just had to play it for the graphics alone.

Black Ops 1-2 were popular and reviewed just as good as any COD. Why not have them take the lead?

Why do we even need any developer to "take the lead" in COD? Quality and public reception will dictate which core game mechanics and ideas become popular within the series, just like how COD4's innovations dictated almost a decade's worth of COD games.

BouncyFrag

I'm looking forward to it if only to play through campaign. Its been ages since I've been interested in the franchise.

NHale

I have to wonder if Activision will do something in 2016 (assuming Blops3 is at least a moderate success, and the franchise rolls on) to hide Infinity Ward's involvement in the product. Ghosts burned even the COD loyal. Maybe a rebranding of the studio?

If I were Activision, I would make them work on Modern Warfare 1080p Edition. All 3 games remastered with complete single player and multi player.

As it stands Infinity Ward should not be trusted to design a multiplayer game.

Why hasn't there been a clone of cod yet? I mean really copy it. 60fps, supertight responsive controls, fast gameplay. Take some of the bullshit out and design some really great maps and you potentially have something that could sell a lot

Rendition

If the next game is reviewed well, this is nothing that can't be repaired although 50% less preorders is quite a decline. Assassin's Creed recovered after the record setting but mediocre reviewed AC3. Black Flag didn't set any new preoder records if I'm not mistaken, but the game stopped that franchise from getting more hate at least.
Activision is also lucky that the Halo remake is pretty much the only real competition in the competitive multiplayer space when COD releases, unless I'm forgetting a contender.

Edit: There's Destiny of course, but I guess in November most people will already be looking for something new.

AC Black Flag sold a lot less than AC3 even though it was a much much better game.

Rendition

Why hasn't there been a clone of cod yet? I mean really copy it. 60fps, supertight responsive controls, fast gameplay. Take some of the bullshit out and design some really great maps and you potentially have something that could sell a lot

I wish Respawn did that. That would be so ironic. It would sell a ton too b/c they are the best at making COD (map design etc.)

Mooreberg

I've wondered for a while how long it would take for people to get tired of getting roughly the same experience in every multiplayer mode. In COD4, modes like Headquarters, Sabotage (when not getting ruined by host quitting), Domination, etc. provided a vastly different experience from TDM (Headquarters in particular was great if you cared more about earning XP at a good clip over maintaining a certain K/D ratio).

As of Modern Warfare 2, kill streak farming seemed to turn everything into TDM. I lost count of the number of domination matches that turned into people using unlimited grenade launcher rounds with expanded blast radius to spam the "B" flag instead of actually playing the match. I know this stuff got toned down in subsequent releases, but the player behavior never really changed. I liked the support strike package in MW3 since it rewarded people for playing objectives, but people just kept treating everything like TDM and I ended up playing maybe 5% as much of it as MW2 in terms of hours.

Maybe I would have gotten into S&D if COD4 had host migration, but everything feeling like roulette spin in terms of whether or not the match would actually reach its conclusion got tiring. If Sledgehammer does something like the strike packages again (which, oddly, I guess was actually IW's work on MW3) and it sticks I'd give the game a chance. I'm just not sure anything other than the experience we get every release now is going to stick.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG_0496.jpg

I couldn't resist.

I have the Call of Duty Day Zero edition preordered and now the Game Fuel. I just need to find the Doritos. Anyone know the artist whose endorsing this one?

haha

Ardent Call of Duty fans and snack-food junkies alike will have the opportunity to customize their Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare experience with exclusive items that can only be obtained by buying Doritos and Mountain Dew.

The newly announced Fuel Up for Battle promotion will see specially marked Mountain Dew and Doritos products include codes that can be redeemed online at dewanddoritos.com. Doing so will unlock cosmetic items for use in Advanced Warfare through the game's Supply Drops system, which we first heard about when the game's multiplayer was unveiled earlier this month.

It doesn't sound as if any of the "exclusive Dew and Doritos in-game gear" included in this promotion will have any material impact on the game; you'll be earning things like cosmetic helmets, goggles, boots, and exoskeletons, which is good news because--shockingly--not everyone who plays games likes Mountain Dew and Doritos. Rapid Supply rewards will also be available, as will Double XP bonuses which allow you to earn in-game gear more quickly, but it would seem that buying a bottle of Mountain Dew won't directly put a (virtual) gun in yours hands.

Items available through the promotion--which has only been announced for the United States so far--will be exclusive until February 15, 2015. Redeeming a code will have the added bonus of entering you in a sweepstakes to win an Xbox One.

The promotion officially kicks off on October 6, almost a full month before Advanced Warfare's release on November 4 (or November 3 if you preorder). This is not the first time Doritos and Mountain Dew have been used to promote games--both came with codes that granted double XP in Halo 4 back in 2012, while buying Doritos earned you a free Ultimate Team pack for Madden NFL 13 earlier that year.

We got our first glimpse of Advanced Warfare's multiplayer earlier this month, and it looks extremely promising. The game is scheduled to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC, but not Wii U.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/get-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-items-by-buying-/1100-6421911/

I expect this to be a great launch regardless.

2636422-coddew.jpg

http://www.fuelupforbattle.com/ The sites not up yet, so I can't claim my codes.

Rendition

Given the console sales breakout between old gen and new gen for Destiny, I don't think publishers are going to focus on old gen at all in future years.

mdubs

Banned
Given the console sales breakout between old gen and new gen for Destiny, I don't think publishers are going to focus on old gen at all in future years.

Thank goodness.

Plus October and November are packed this year so that doesn't especially since the Call of Duty brand isn't quite the draw it used to be.

Just bumping this because I just saw the first AW commercial. Quite surprised that they're running nearly a month out from release. They also advertised the Day Zero edition during the commercial.

Top Bottom