• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Grand Theft Auto 6 will cost $2 billion.

hemo memo

f5ab9426-c6e0-4e29-ba96-fb792346f003_text.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$2 billion is ridiculous lol. Probably half a billion considering they have all 7 studios working on it for the last five years and it still has 2 years left. Rdr2 was $270 million with 3,000 devs working on it for five years.

What was the cost of GTAV? I remember being highly expensive.
i believe about $500MM

edit: i was wrong according to Bard -

The total cost to make and sell Grand Theft Auto V was estimated to be around $265 million. This includes the development costs, marketing costs, and distribution costs. The development costs were the most expensive, at around $137 million. The marketing costs were around $100 million, and the distribution costs were around $28 million.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Rockstar’s on another level in terms of detail. I can only imagine the size and scope of this.

That anticipated budget sounds like it includes future hardware, multiplayer support, etc.

some creative accounting must be happening to reach that 2 billion figure lol

That being said, Rockstar will use this as justification for even more egregious MTX.

"it costs 2 billion to develop!! Please support us!"
"the increased cost is due to inflation and supply chain issues!!!"
"the special limited iconic whale collector's edition is worth $300! It includes exclusive skins!!!"

Yoboman

$2 billion is ridiculous lol. Probably half a billion considering they have all 7 studios working on it for the last five years and it still has 2 years left. Rdr2 was $270 million with 3,000 devs working on it for five years.
There were not 3000 working on it for five years lol

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
2 billion dollars? How? The most expensive games from Sony (Horizon Forbidden West and TLOU2) cost $220 million dollars and took five years to create. Even if you double that amount because Rockstar has been working on GTAVI for ten years, you "only" get $450-500 million dollars. Do they have four times as many programmers working on the game as well?

I'm worried where the industry is headed. Budgets keep growing to the point where a couple projects that don't hit could tank a developer.

And people seem less and less impressed. Law of diminishing returns applies only to the finished project, while the costs required for those small improvements grow exponentially in the opposite direction.

Puscifer

2 billion dollars? How? The most expensive games from Sony (Horizon Forbidden West and TLOU2) cost $220 million dollars and took five years to create. Even if you double that amount because Rockstar has been working on GTAVI for ten years, you "only" get $450-500 million dollars. Do they have four times as many programmers working on the game as well?
I mean if this is true this game needs to have some real physics and reactivity that I can knock down a building with enough work and have the world react long term to see where the money went. If they just give me Red Dead in modern day I'm going to be bored out of my fucking mind

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Back when games cost $50M-$100M, the pS3/360 era, GTA5 came in with a $260M budget. RDR2 supposedly cost about double that, and was still coded for PS4/One where the games were probably in the $100M-$150M range. Going by this rough rule of thumb, $2B is an awful lot, but yea, 10 years of development, thousands of people, highest production values... I could see it.

Top Bottom