• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Representative Pat Tiberi of Ohio Plans to Quit Early

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/us/politics/tiberi-republican-resign-ohio.html

In a sign of mounting frustration among Republicans in Washington, Representative Pat Tiberi of Ohio, a senior lawmaker with close ties to his party’s leaders, is expected to resign and take up an executive post with a business group in his home state, according to three Republicans briefed on his plans.

An abrupt departure by Mr. Tiberi, who is an influential member of the House Ways and Means Committee, would signal a deepening level of discontent among mainstream Republicans in Congress. Despite holding Congress and the White House, Republicans have so far failed to achieve longstanding policy goals like overhauling the tax code and repealing the Affordable Care Act.

Mr. Tiberi, 54, could announce his plan to leave Congress as soon as this week, Republican officials said, though it is unclear when he intends to vacate his seat. Two Republicans who were briefed on Mr. Tiberi’s decision said he had indicated that he plans to join the Ohio Business Roundtable, a business consortium that announced this summer that it was searching for a new president.

Mr. Tiberi did not respond to a phone call or a text message seeking comment on Wednesday night. But some of Mr. Tiberi’s colleagues said that the grind of their jobs had gotten no better since Donald J. Trump’s election last year, giving Republicans full control of Washington.

“This is a harder life in terms of being away from home and putting up with the pace and the public battering that one sometimes must endure,” said Representative Tom Cole, Republican of Oklahoma. “And no raises in a decade is hard on many members with families.”

Of Mr. Tiberi, Mr. Cole said that he was “happy for my friend, but Congress will be a poorer place without him.”

5taquitos

tenor.gif

Retro

...and the circle of life continues as the small, angry Republican wraps itself in the fibrous strands of a lifetime of political connections and emerges as a bloated and decadent Lobbyist.

Camwi

“This is a harder life in terms of being away from home and putting up with the pace and the public battering that one sometimes must endure,” said Representative Tom Cole, Republican of Oklahoma. “And no raises in a decade is hard on many members with families.”

You make $174k a year, you fuck. You and Sean Duffy can both fuck right off with the "we're so very, very poor" act.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I have a love-hate relationship with news like this. On one hand, it's great to have Republicans jumping ship. On the other hand, it's an open slot for another Roy Moore-type fuckstick to become a policy maker.

BriGuy

It means little if he only gets replaced with someone more extreme, but his district seems diverse enough to tilt blue. Here's hoping.

Any chance a Democrat takes his place?

Yes, a small chance. The district has a Partisan Voting Index of R+7. Democrats currently have a ~10-point advantage in the generic ballot, and earlier this year we came close to flipping GA-06, which has a PVI of R+8. If conditions remain approximately the same until next year, Tiberi's district will be on the outside edge of a wave. At the very least, it'll move from Solid Republican to Likely Republican because of the lack of incumbency advantage.

RPGCrazied

I really hope 2018 is a blue wave. We need it to survive 3 more years of Trump. Thankfully even with controlling all 3 branches of government he can't do anything.

I do agree that the Congressional pay needs to be raised or preferably a larger housing stipend provided. 174k is not a lot of money to maintain two households even with one being a small apartment unless your partner has a well paying job. But this is what they signed up for.hes cashing out at a good age to lobby and make the big bucks.

Hari Seldon

I actually want congressmen that bitch about their salary as that means they aren't being bribed or are not already rich as fuck. I could see $174k being not that much if you had a family with a non-working spouse and had to maintain a house in your district and something in DC which is expensive as fuck.

BajiBoxer

Banned
You make $174k a year, you fuck. You and Sean Duffy can both fuck right off with the "we're so very, very poor" act.

He also has a net worth of over $1,000,000 of course. And even a six figure income can get you a huge home around here.

Zoe

I actually want congressmen that bitch about their salary as that means they aren't being bribed or are not already rich as fuck. I could see $174k being not that much if you had a family with a non-working spouse and had to maintain a house in your district and something in DC which is expensive as fuck.

Yeah, they have four children (with young triplets). That's not cheap.

It's a problem when only the independently wealthy are able to be in politics.

Top Bottom