• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 12 [CNN] Ru-Bi-Oh! It's time to d-d-d-d-dddddd-drop out

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
I don't care about what he says, I care about what he'd do, and his actions tonight show me he is incapable or unwilling to actually negotiate an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It's just an ego boast.

He's just talking a big game to win over gullible voters. Just like when he decries the influence of money in politics from special interest groups and then says he hasn't decided whether or not he'll take external money in the general.

Yeah cause he's lying his ass off trying to be all things to all people, and just because sometimes the needle ends up on "not totally horrifying" after a few revisions doesn't mean I trust or admire him.

He's a snake oil salesman.

I don't think so. If he was snake oil he would pander all the way to Israel and not open himself up to attacks from the most powerful lobbying groups in U.S.

Also that we will threaten China with a 45% tarrif so they behave but not actually raise it that much if they don't.

Genius.

I'm convinced now that any republican who's ever voted against marijuana legalization is a bold-faced hypocrite. Cause there's GOT to be some grade-A ganja being passed around primary voters to be able to swallow the embodiment of cognitive dissonance that has been the entirety of Trump's actual policy proposals.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Once again, Trump playing chess around these checker-ass playin mother fuckers. His shift in tone was entirely strategic. Or he skipped his afternoon nap lol

kess

Kasich won't spar on the debate stage, but loses his composure with the nice CNN lady.

His neck was twitching all night

ST+TNG+Remmick.gif

Toxi

Banned
Read the link. Trump skirted around the issue in the debate.
Ignoring that he certainly did not skirt around the issue, how the hell do you think skirting around the issue of killing civilians is acceptable?

Clearly your priorities lie elsewhere and don't think U.S. at least pursuing a rhetoric that opens up opportunity for peace talks is very important.

Here's Rubio right now questing Trump's allegiance to Israel. What do you think?
I think about the same as I feel about the candidates attacking Trump's health care plan that is mostly identical to their own.

I appreciate Trump being the only one on that stage to actually act reasonable on this issue, but I don't believe he would follow through on it for a second. It's like his whole schpiel about how he wouldn't let Americans die on the streets without health care like fellow Republicans when his plan does nothing to actually address that.
I don't think so. If he was snake oil he would pander all the way to Israel and not open himself up to attacks from the most powerful lobbying groups in U.S.
You mean the lobbying groups already attacking him?

danm999

I don't think so. If he was snake oil he would pander all the way to Israel and not open himself up to attacks from the most powerful lobby groups in U.S.

What do you think calling yourself the most pro-Israel person is? What do you think mentioning his Jewish son in law and grandchild is? What do you think mentioning marching as a Grand Marshal in the Israeli day parade is?

Difference with Trump is, he just has a bunch of issues where he panders to both sides, and there are enough people out there with the cognitive dissonance to think that when they say something he likes, that's him being straight, and when they say something he doesn't like, he's just keeping up appearances but it's not really what he believes or will do.

effzee

As much as I know I shouldn't let it get to me and that both parties don't have any legit answer, the question about Israel and then the answers really depressed me.

Forget that its the same old same old "i love Israel the mostest!" or "its our strongest ally (nevermind that in previous answers they all lauded the kingdoms for their support)" but the fact that a whole group of people are just dismissed as nothing...as subhuman. It really gets to me.

Hearing their responses you'd think Palestinians were this big bad country causing problems for poor old innocent Israel.

Again I know Dems are no better on this issue and Obama failed at it where I bought into thinking he would solve it but it really kills me to see the responses and applause for them.

Disgusting.

Trump said, point blank, that we need to follow the laws re: bombing of civilians and torture, but that we need to "expand the laws", presumably to put those things back on the table.

His candidacy is utterly entertaining and fascinating, probably the best television in years, but he can seriously go fuck himself. I'm not an American exceptionalist, but we absolutely are better than that.

Toxi

Banned
Again I know Dems are no better on this issue and Obama failed at it where I bought into thinking he would solve it but it really kills me to see the responses and applause for them.
The funny part is, Trump said Obama was being horrible towards Israel in a previous debate.

And he's still (Hopefully) the best of the men on that stage on the issue.

params7

Banned
Ignoring that he certainly did not skirt around the issue, how the hell do you think skirting around the issue of killing civilians is acceptable?

Just wait until a proper interviewer or moderation teams gets better answers out of him. He's already taking it back and not doubling down on it fiercely as he usually does.

I appreciate Trump being the only one on that stage to actually act reasonable on this issue, but I don't believe he would follow through on it for a second.

Well that's your problem. It makes no sense to open yourself up to attacks on loyalty to Israel and lose conservative voters if all your plan is to sell snake oil. Trump has gone European left wing by even mentioning the words "neutral" "Palestine" in the same sentence where before it was a political suicide to do so and something not even Democrats would dare. You should be ashamed at trying to downplay Trump for it.

What do you think calling yourself the most pro-Israel person is? What do you think mentioning his Jewish son in law and grandchild is? What do you think mentioning marching as a Grand Marshal in the Israeli day parade is?

Its called not shooting yourself in the foot while still trying to open the pathways for some kind of negotiation for a peace deal.

danm999

Its called not shooting yourself in the foot while still trying to open the pathways for some kind of negotiation for a peace deal.

See what I mean? Trump has just described himself as the most pro-Israel person, and also neutral, and you colour in the interpretation you want and rationalise anything outside that.

He even admitted there's tons of votes in blue states like New York (which we know he's targeting in the general) talking the way he was initially about the peace process before he showed his pro-Israel affiliation.

He may actually have no intention of making a peace and is trying to trick people that think like you, after all. That's the problem here. It's why he's a snake oil salesman.

The Beard

Seriously, this was bullshit. Where was the blood? Where was the carnage? What kind of debate was this?

The best part about it was that stupid CNN commercial that said "Think this debate is rough? You should see ....."

CNN was expecting a blood bath, but they got a bubble bath instead.

params7

Banned
See what I mean? Trump has just described himself as the most pro-Israel person, and also neutral, and you colour in the interpretation you want and rationalise anything outside that.

He even admitted there's tons of votes in blue states like New York (which we know he's targeting in the general) talking the way he was initially about the peace process before he showed his pro-Israel affiliation.

He may actually have no intention of making a peace and is trying to trick people that think like you, after all. That's the problem here. It's why he's a snake oil salesman.

This is some shitty speculation. You're coining Trump as a strategist who is willing to sacrifice a large part of republican voter base, when he needs them the most critically to secure the nomination to avoid contested convention, in some deep level play to later win far right blue state voters who place higher concern on Israel-Palestine than domestic issues. Hell of salesman with some complex strategy at play with high risk of losing delegates to Cruz.

I think I'm doing to disregard this entirely.

Toxi

Banned
Well that's your problem. It makes no sense to open yourself up to attacks on loyalty to Israel and lose conservative voters if all your plan is to sell snake oil. Trump has gone European left wing by even mentioning the words "neutral" "Palestine" in the same sentence where before it was a political suicide to do so and something not even Democrats would dare. You should be ashamed at trying to downplay Trump for it.
Bernie Sanders has advocated for a two-state solution.

But ignoring that, Donald Trump endorsed Benjamin Netanyahu in 2013. He has historically been very critical of Obama's (relative) strictness to Israel. I don't believe for a moment he will actually end the USA's slavish devotion to that country's combativeness just because he said he will "make a deal", especially with his other behavior on this stage.

And the idea I should be ashamed for thinking Trump is two-faced is hilarious.

boiled goose

good with gravy
We know man.

Trump blew the dog whistle and you are perking up.

Trump is second best to Bernie amirite?

Huh? This is a pretty offensive post. You know nothing about me or my family to say this bullshit implying that i somehow support Trump. If you knew, you would know that that is pretty unlikely.

Trump is saying something that is right. It doesn't mean he is good at all haha.

Hillary gaf is so Fucking jumpy. Relax dude. It's pathetic.

I dont even think Sanders is the best on the issue. He started on income inequality and landed in campaign finance.

I can call statements as right or wrong as i see them. You are the one picking a candidate and being a complete lapdog.

danm999

This is some shitty speculation. You're coining Trump as a strategist who is willing to sacrifice a large part of republican voter base, when he needs them the most critically to secure the nomination to avoid contested convention, in some deep level play to later win far right blue state voters who place higher concern on Israel-Palestine than domestic issues. Hell of salesman with some complex strategy at play with high risk of losing delegates to Cruz in red states as he labels Trump as anti-Israel.

It's hardly a risk if people are gullible enough to see what they want. He's a frontrunner trying to pivot into the general, his head is no longer on winning the primary. He's swept up a lot of the evangelical Southern voters already, he can't really lose them to Cruz retroactively.

Besides, it's not like the GOP base is uniformly pro-Israel. In fact, a lot of the people Trump is bringing in, as he's so want to brag about, are pretty anti-Semitic. Go on Twitter for a few minutes and check out his followers, or if you can stomach it, Stormfront, and you'll see plenty about Zionist conspiracies from those in the Trump camp.

Trump is just breaking with orthodoxy at this stage in the race because he can. This is a guy who has endorsed Netanyahu in the recent past and if you think Bibi has any intention of brokering peace I don't know what to say to you.

Azzanadra

Huh? This is a pretty offensive post.

Trump is saying something that is right. It doesn't mean he is good at all haha.

Hillary gaf is so Fucking jumpy. Relax dude. It's pathetic.

I dont even think Sanders is the best on the issue. He started on income inequality and landed in campaign finance.

I can call statements as right or wrong as i see them. You are the one picking a candidate and being a complete lapdog.

Yeah, its kind of strange how black-and-white things have become. What happened to having nuanced discussions about candidates? For example, I see a lot of contempt for Kasich's foreign policy... when he is probably closer to Clinton on that than Clinton is to Sanders.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yeah, its kind of strange how black-and-white things have become. What happened to having nuanced discussions about candidates? For example, I see a lot of contempt for Kasich's foreign policy... when he is probably closer to Clinton on that than Clinton is to Sanders.

It really pissed me off tbh. I dont even think trump will do anything about the issue.

Simply that his statement was correct.

I get essenticall get called a Fucking dog for it. So frustrating.

Makai

It really pissed me off tbh. I dont even think trump will do anything about the issue.

Hear, hear. It is really obnoxious seeing so many people clutch their pearls whenever somebody agrees with a Republican, often over the most banal stuff.

That says a LOT more about Clinton than it does Kasich.

params7

Banned
Bernie Sanders has advocated for a two-state solution.

But ignoring that, Donald Trump endorsed Benjamin Netanyahu in 2013. He has historically been very critical of Obama's (relative) strictness to Israel. I don't believe for a moment he will actually end the USA's slavish devotion to that country's combativeness just because he said he will "make a deal", especially with his other behavior on this stage.

And the idea I should be ashamed for thinking Trump is two-faced is hilarious.

Fair enough. Trump endorsed both Obama and Clinton before too. I don't think he takes his endorsements too seriously. In either case Trump still deserves credit for creating such rhetoric on the republican camp and even in the democratic side he's only matched by relatively far left politician on the issue.

It's hardly a risk if people are gullible enough to see what they want. He's a frontrunner trying to pivot into the general, his head is no longer on winning the primary. He's swept up a lot of the evangelical Southern voters already, he can't really lose them to Cruz retroactively.

Besides, it's not like the GOP base is uniformly pro-Israel. In fact, a lot of the people Trump is bringing in, as he's so want to brag about, are pretty anti-Semitic. Go on Twitter for a few minutes and check out his followers, or if you can stomach it, Stormfront, and you'll see plenty about Zionist conspiracies from those in the Trump camp.

Trump is just breaking with orthodoxy at this stage in the race because he can. This is a guy who has endorsed Netanyahu in the recent past and if you think Bibi has any intention of brokering peace I don't know what to say to you.

I'm well aware of the far-right anti-Zionist conspiracy. They also seem to hate and doubt Trump for having Jewish family, btw. They're an extreme minority anyways, and nobody has won by pandering to those anti-semitic white supremacists and by far majority of GoP demands strict adherence to Israel and Bibi by their candidates so I don't see how that matters.

And Cruz can still hurt him by taking enough delegates to prevent him from reaching the magic number and leading him to a contested front with the party. Really don't see the point in trying to give Cruz that opportunity and alienating more republicans. Both Rubio and Cruz will step up their Trump=Anti-Israel rhetoric up 10x.

The Beard

It's sad when people can't even acknowledge a true statement simply because it was said by "the enemy", and then to personally attack someone that agrees with it, it's just ridiculous.

Not sure if this was reported here, but apparently white students have been bullying hispanic students saying they will be deported once Trump becomes President.

MSNBC asked Trump about it:

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/wa...239171765?cid=playlist=480866&cid=sm_fb_mojoe

This stuff is honestly very silly. Children bully because they want to bully, for some reason. They will take whatever is at hand, and remorselessly pick away at it. Were it not Trump, it'd be something else, directed at some other kid. Or, hell, perhaps it would be something similar directed at the same kids, only we'd not hear about it because it couldn't be connected to Donnie "Ratings God" Trump. Trump is a bastard for leveraging the worst parts of the GOP to build some kind of horrendous Frankenstein constituency for himself, but he didn't create any of this shit.

This stuff is honestly very silly. Children bully because they want to bully, for some reason. They will take whatever is at hand, and remorselessly pick away at it. Were it not Trump, it'd be something else, directed at some other kid. Or, hell, perhaps it would be something similar directed at the same kids, only we'd not hear about it because it couldn't be connected to Donnie "Ratings God" Trump. Trump is a bastard for leveraging the worst parts of the GOP to build some kind of horrendous Frankenstein constituency for himself, but he didn't create any of this shit.

He's helping to nurture it.

It's fine not to care but dishonest to say it's not happening.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but can we trade all these dudes for a Jeb Bush? At least Jeb didn't frighten me with his policies.

If Jeb didn't frighten you, then something may be wrong. He's not a serious person, he advocated dumb things, and worst of all Jeb wanted tax cuts even more disproportionately beneficial to the wealthiest folks. America is being ruined because people usually don't reject guys like Jeb and trust him.

Toxi

Banned
Fair enough. Trump endorsed both Obama and Clinton before too. I don't think he takes his endorsements too seriously. In either case Trump still deserves credit for creating such rhetoric on the republican camp and even in the democratic side he's only matched by relatively far left politician on the issue.
Then I'll give Trump a pat on the back for maybe being reasonable on one issue in between being unreasonable on everything else.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I didn't watch tonight. Was it just as big of a screaming match shit show as last debate?

Azzanadra

If Jeb didn't frighten you, then something may be wrong. He's not a serious person, he advocated dumb things, and worst of all Jeb wanted tax cuts even more disproportionately beneficial to the wealthiest folks. America is being ruined because people usually don't reject guys like Jeb and trust him.

This can literally be applied to all the candidates except Sanders.

He's helping to nurture it.

It's fine not to care but dishonest to say it's not happening.

I think it's fine to blame him for the violence at his rallies that he tacitly supports, or for his lack of strong condemnation of white supremacist supporters who commit violence, but the only thing you can really say about a few bullying kids is that he maybe gave the particular shape to how they chose to express that impulse, not that he created it, in the first place. Kids will always be bullying assholes, and they'll hammer other kids with whatever is at hand. There's no quantitative evidence that bullying/assault of Mexicans is on the rise, nationally, just a media narrative of such because anything connected to Trump is big money for any media outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom